Love comes, love goes.

swissie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

Why would any young Western man learn Thai just to come here and find a partner? Thai women aren't the cream of womanhood.

Western men who have learned Thai have done so because they're already in country and have few options to get attractive women who speak their native tongue.

A young man has far more options than an old man and many of those options won't be based on his ability to prop up a poor family in the background with a monthly payment.

A younger man has earning potential whereas older men here are typically on fixed incomes which, even if they do rise inflation, thse increases are pegged to inflation in their homelands, not in Thailand.

I see loads of old guys pinching pennies and counting beans in foodhalls in Bangkok so the theory they have more money than the younger guys is easily debunked.

You are taking me out of context - I was replying to someone who mentioned a young man going to a village to find a girl... and said that he would probably need some Thai language. 

You sound like a young man - and if you have and exercise your many options, that is wonderful. I always did too when younger and now that I am older, I do not see that my options have been limited. I do not know why you would say that, other than reading too much TV - and making genralizations. Most of my friends who are retired are enjoying their lives, free to travel, relax, etc... though I think it is probably more true of people over 80, elderly and infirm. 

Not every retiree is a poor penny pinching pensioner, I could make the same generalization of milenials living in their parent's basement - obviously not many choices there... but that does not sound like it would fit you. Not only do I have plenty of options, but the time to do what I want. Many of us have prepared well for retirement. I hope you will too. 

I recently saw a wealth chart - sorry, do not have it in front of me, but they broke down net worth by age group - 65-70 was the highest and 60-65 was 2nd place... [this was for USA, not Pattaya] A couple of years ago, I sent an email to many of my old friends asking if they were ok financially. They all said that they had enough, but many were helping out their adult children who were struggling to survive. 

I think [just opinion and maybe some of it from what I see on TV too] that many young people seem to dislike older people, just because they are older - and they make assumptions about older people and being older that are not really true, at least not for all of us... you might feel different when you are older. 

And yes, it is sad when you see older people struggling to get by - - and I wonder how they will deal with inevitable medical expenses, but trust me, it is not everyone. 

40 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

You are taking me out of context - I was replying to someone who mentioned a young man going to a village to find a girl... and said that he would probably need some Thai language. 

You sound like a young man - and if you have and exercise your many options, that is wonderful. I always did too when younger and now that I am older, I do not see that my options have been limited. I do not know why you would say that, other than reading too much TV - and making genralizations. Most of my friends who are retired are enjoying their lives, free to travel, relax, etc... though I think it is probably more true of people over 80, elderly and infirm. 

Not every retiree is a poor penny pinching pensioner, I could make the same generalization of milenials living in their parent's basement - obviously not many choices there... but that does not sound like it would fit you. Not only do I have plenty of options, but the time to do what I want. Many of us have prepared well for retirement. I hope you will too. 

I recently saw a wealth chart - sorry, do not have it in front of me, but they broke down net worth by age group - 65-70 was the highest and 60-65 was 2nd place... [this was for USA, not Pattaya] A couple of years ago, I sent an email to many of my old friends asking if they were ok financially. They all said that they had enough, but many were helping out their adult children who were struggling to survive. 

I think [just opinion and maybe some of it from what I see on TV too] that many young people seem to dislike older people, just because they are older - and they make assumptions about older people and being older that are not really true, at least not for all of us... you might feel different when you are older. 

And yes, it is sad when you see older people struggling to get by - - and I wonder how they will deal with inevitable medical expenses, but trust me, it is not everyone. 

Great reply.

1 hour ago, YeahSiam said:

I just don't know how men can live like that.....knowing that their wife or girlfriend is only with them for money.

They get trapped. If they stop paying they'll lose everything they've bought and paid for over the years. They'll lose their little Thai bride, too.

I guess it's easier to just keep paying.

34 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Great reply.

Thanks Sean - there seem to be a group on here who do not seem to like the 60+ crowd. Even when I was twenty I understood that the 60+ "grandpa figures" would have something that I could learn a life lesson from... And now that I am 60+ I really enjoy meeting younger people who know things that I don't or who have different perspective on the world...

What I do not really understand is the stereotypical classifications and the hatred of groups based on age in particular. I understand that Thailand has a different twist to it. But being 60+ is surely not what I imagined it would have been when I was 30... I know many people 60+ 70+ who are really loving life with a much greater appreciation. And I know younger people 30-40+ who are in terrible states of despair... it is really quite individual. 

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young." Oscar Wilde. 

4 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

I just don't know how men can live like that.....knowing that their wife or girlfriend is only with them for money.

2 hours ago, Fabricus said:

They get trapped. If they stop paying they'll lose everything they've bought and paid for over the years. They'll lose their little Thai bride, too.

7 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

And you're happy knowing that she's with you is because you support her financially?

What would happen if you stopped paying?

l have been with my lady 4 years next month , I help to support her and am happy to do so. If she went tommorow I would be down maybe10 grand but the time with her has been worth more than a few digits on a bank statement.

2 hours ago, kenk24 said:

Thanks Sean - there seem to be a group on here who do not seem to like the 60+ crowd. Even when I was twenty I understood that the 60+ "grandpa figures" would have something that I could learn a life lesson from... And now that I am 60+ I really enjoy meeting younger people who know things that I don't or who have different perspective on the world...

What I do not really understand is the stereotypical classifications and the hatred of groups based on age in particular. I understand that Thailand has a different twist to it. But being 60+ is surely not what I imagined it would have been when I was 30... I know many people 60+ 70+ who are really loving life with a much greater appreciation. And I know younger people 30-40+ who are in terrible states of despair... it is really quite individual. 

"The tragedy of old age is not that one is old, but that one is young." Oscar Wilde. 

Age shouldn't be a reason to not like someone.  

I'm still young but I have a few older friends here (not many sadly).  

I just wish Thailand attracted more rich, upper class people to retire here, then perhaps I'd have more older friends.

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Great to see all the Einsteins out in force , pushing their worn out stereotypes with gusto. It must be an amazing gift , to scan a post , add a liberal sprinkling of assumption and confirmation bias , then present the resulting mess as reasonable comment.

There a couple in particular who have posted here, who are like Pavlov's dog, mention the elderly expat with a Thai lady partner and their oft repeated phrases and comments are dragged out once again. They are so damn predictable.

Great to see all the Einsteins out in force , pushing their worn out stereotypes with gusto. It must be an amazing gift , to scan a post , add a liberal sprinkling of assumption and confirmation bias , then present the resulting mess as reasonable comment.

I just asked a question.

Why so defensive?

Edited by YeahSiam

2 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

I just asked a question.

Why so defensive?

Because you asked a deliberately provoking question hoping to rattle his cage, ie

"And you're happy knowing that she's with you is because you support her financially?

What would happen if you stopped paying?"

Just now, giddyup said:

Because you asked a deliberately provoking question hoping to rattle his cage, ie

"And you're happy knowing that she's with you is because you support her financially?

What would happen if you stopped paying?"

Nothing provocatory about it.

Well, not for someone who feels secure in his circumstances.

2 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

Nothing provocatory about it.

Well, not for someone who feels secure in his circumstances.

No one owes you an explanation for anything they do, and you might try getting off your high horse, acting superior is not necessarily being superior.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, YeahSiam said:

No he's in error.

I asked a question. One he has yet to answer so while I might be justified in drawing inference from that, I haven't done so in any post.

He doesn't owe you an answer. live with it.

3 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

555 you do realise thats exactly what you just did ???? but i know were your comming from  .lol 

8 hours ago, YeahSiam said:

I would say that it is rarely that simple.

Though money might be a large part of a May/November relationship, and may be the initial attraction, I have seen a few of these that developed into sincere caring for each other. They also have very variable aspects. If it is a 20/70 age difference, the relationship is much different than a 40/60. By age 30-35 and up, many Thai ladies have been kicked around a bit and actually prefer a somewhat older, calmer, more secure, mature man who knows how to treat them well. 

It is all really individual. 

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

He doesn't owe you an answer. live with it.

Live with it?

That advice would be best doled out to him if he can't understand why people come to the conclusions that evidently put him on the defensive.

On 04/10/2016 at 5:39 AM, seancbk said:

I would hope that slim younger men are much less likely to marry some provincial farm girl with a poor family in tow.

Provincial farm girl? Seriously what planet are you on. Bkk is home to absolutely shed loads of farm girls and I bet you cast a glance at more than a few. But of course perhaps your one of them types that must marry into a specific type of person. One that daddy will approve of perhaps and every Wednesday you probably see a lovely sweet girl called mikky and you assume the position and get rammed right up the jacksy. But if daddy did it, it's ok. Your a sheep your name is bah.

8 hours ago, seancbk said:

Age shouldn't be a reason to not like someone.  

I'm still young but I have a few older friends here (not many sadly).  

I just wish Thailand attracted more rich, upper class people to retire here, then perhaps I'd have more older friends.

To judge people purely on their financial status is rather pathetic and sad.

On 10/5/2016 at 8:02 AM, YeahSiam said:

And you're happy knowing that she's with you is because you support her financially?

What would happen if you stopped paying?

You mean if I stopped paying would she leave? I would sure as h*-ll hope so.

9 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

To judge people purely on their financial status is rather pathetic and sad.

Fine.  Take out the word rich.  

I'd still prefer to be meeting more well educated, well traveled (and I don't mean trip to Thailand to shag bar girls) and well spoken individuals than the typical blokes I do meet.

I try to get on with everyone I meet but I have very little in common with the average working class Brit.   Doesn't mean I don't have many friends who are from a different background,  it just means I'd rather have more friends who come from the same background as me.

33 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Fine.  Take out the word rich.  

I'd still prefer to be meeting more well educated, well traveled (and I don't mean trip to Thailand to shag bar girls) and well spoken individuals than the typical blokes I do meet.

I try to get on with everyone I meet but I have very little in common with the average working class Brit.   Doesn't mean I don't have many friends who are from a different background,  it just means I'd rather have more friends who come from the same background as me.

33 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Why not relocate to Malaysia or Singapore?

PS. I've just figured out who you are. You came to BKK from HK in 2008. You lived with a pro you'd met at a joint Suk 20 or 22. You and I met once at that food court in Suk 7 (I think it was near a Brit pub called Gullivers). My first name begins with the letter A, btw.

21 minutes ago, Fabricus said:

Why not relocate to Malaysia or Singapore?

PS. I've just figured out who you are. You came to BKK from HK in 2008. You lived with a pro you'd met at a joint Suk 20 or 22. You and I met once at that food court in Suk 7 (I think it was near a Brit pub called Gullivers). My first name begins with the letter A, btw.

Haha!  Yes, that was an inauspicious start to life in Bangkok.   Took me a few years to extract myself from that relationship and I swore I'd never make that mistake again.  

I've met so many people that you'll have to forgive me for not recalling who you might be.  Nice to hear you are still around though.

For the first 3-4 years I didn't really like Bangkok and wanted to somehow get home to HK, but 8 years on and life here is very different.  I can't imagine leaving now and as much as I loved life in HK, I've realised that both it and I have changed.   Bangkok is now my home and will continue to be for a long time (forever perhaps).

PM me if you'd like to chat privately :-)

4 hours ago, seancbk said:

Haha!  Yes, that was an inauspicious start to life in Bangkok.   Took me a few years to extract myself from that relationship and I swore I'd never make that mistake again.  

Wow -- you lived with that hooker for "a few years". I'm pretty sure you told me she was older than you, too.

As I wrote before, European expats in Malaysia and Singapore are usually decent. For obvious reasons, Thailand does attract the rubbish.

I reckon Penang would be a great place to live.