Should I get my retirement O-A visa while still in the USA or is it easy and cheap to do in Thailand?

I'm heading to Los Angeles in a couple days (Oct 4 or 5) to talk to the consulate office and get a visa for travel in November 2016.  My buddy in Bangkok says I should get a 60 day tourist visa and then get a retirement visa in Thailand.  I seem to remember that it's better to get your retirement visa in USA because in Thailand it's much more expensive due to the need for a lawyer.  Am I correct?  Is my friend's plan a good one?  

The advantage to getting a tourist visa is a same-day turnaround, and I think I have to wait 5 business days for the O-A retirement visa.  So if it's just as easy to get in Thailand, I prefer to follow my friend's plan, but if necessary, I can just chill in nearby Mexico and wait 5 days.  

Apologize as I know this has been addressed elsewhere but I can't find the answer, thought someone would know off the top of their heads.  

Thanks for any help!  

• If you can meet the qualification for a Non 'O-A' Visa (Long Stay) then that is the best visa to get. If properly utilised it will give you nearly two years in Thailand before needing to apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.
  • You can enter Thailand with a Tourist Visa (60 days) and within the first 45 days you can apply to convert the tourist entry to a Non 'O' Visa/entry. It will take two trips to immigration about two weeks apart. On the second visit they will grant you a 90 day permit to stay. Within the last 30/45 days of that 90 you can apply for a 1 year extension with a third visit to Immigration. 
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

There are pros and cons to both plans and it often depends on the individual situation of the expat.

In the U.S. you can get an O-A visa while in Thailand you can get annual extensions based on retirement but must first have an O visa in your passport (not necessarily O-A). 

First of all, what method of financial qualification do you plan to use?

They are needed for both but the mechanics and specific rules are different.

Generally the three options are --

800K baht

OR 

65K baht monthly income

OR

a combination of the above of at least 800K annualized

If using a money rather than an income method, the funds must be in a Thai bank account (seasoned for at least two months for first retirement extension) for the retirement extensions in Thailand.

An advantage of the O-A is that you would show the funds in the U.S. instead. 

Also, for the O-A visa you must file a medical form and a criminal background report. Neither will be needed for a retirement extension in Thailand. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

if you plan on staying > 2 years, probably go ahead and get the   'extension of stay'  in Thailand, but you'll need a Thai Bank account, which might require the time and expense of going to Wireless Rd. US Emb for the 'proof of residence' , and the money must sit in the Thai bank for some length of time IIRC. 

PS is that your real photo   K. richcook  man ?

• Like 1

Do you already have the medical certificate from your doctor and the local law enforcement background check in hand?  (Those are required for you to obtain the O-A visa at the Los Angeles consulate.)

It's not five days turnaround in LA.....you drop off the application with passport one day, pick up your passport with visa the next day.  

As elviajero stated, you can get up to two years in Thailand with the O-A visa if you strategically leave and re-enter the country just prior to the "enter before" date.  It's also a multiple entry visa so you don't need re-entry permits for the first year of those two years.

You do not need an attorney to apply in Thailand.  

The cost to do either is roughly equivalent, depending upon the cost of your medical cert and the notary public requirement.  In the USA you can get your notary public signature at Postal Annex stores for $10.00.  (Others will be along to dispute the cost equivalency statement but if you compare the cost of two separate years of permission to stay + re-entry permits with the cost of two years O-A visa, the cost difference is negligible, if any.)

The "hassle factor" is much less in Los Angeles.  Btw, there's a small shop almost directly across the street from the LA Consulate that does photos, copies, and (I think) provides notary services too.  

• Like 2

The advantage of getting it in the U.S. is that you can use your U.S. bank account as proof of funds if you don't meet the minimum monthly income statute,  if you are going to use the proof of monthly income then that's different. When it comes time to renew you can't do that in the U.S. though...you would have to renew it in Thailand or else just re-apply for another new visa in the U.S. using new documentation of police background check, medical check, proof of funds etc...

The choice is up to you.

The advantage of gerring an O-A retirement visa in the U.S. is that on arrival in Thailand on your first entry you will be stamped with a permission to stay for one year from your entry date.

So for that first year you are clear to stay.

The disadvantage is the time and expense of gettibg that O-A retirement visa in the U.S.

But it is sort of like buying a Rolls Royce.....more exprnsive at the beginning but you have a quality peoduct from the very start.

And as another poster pointed out there is a finanvial requirement  for getting a non O  visa extension in Thailand and it will take you at least two seperate trips to immigration (possibly three trips) to complete that pocess.

But as i said, it is up to you, your choice.

Great, thanks, that's all very good information.   I'd strongly prefer to not have to idle my gears in Mexico if I can avoid it because I have a few things to do here in the US before I leave.  

One thing I forgot to mention is I need a multiple entry visa as I plan to hop around a lot, not settle right into Thailand.  I have a cheap setup through a friend so it makes a good home base, but I'll be moving between LOS, Cambodia, Malaysia, PI, etc.  Is the O-A any restriction on that?   Sorry I did not mention it earlier.  

I have lots of savings in a US bank account, but I think there's not enough time to season it.   I don't really want to put $20k cash in a Thai bank necessarily, but could do so without much trouble.  

I do not have anything from my doctor;  in fact I do not have a doctor any more as my Kaiser insurance has lapsed.  And I also do not have the local law enforcement background certification either.  How can I proceed to satisfy those requirements?   Do I have time in 3 days, or am I stuck?  Can I run to a clinic or something?  What does the embassy need here specifically?  

I can call Kaiser and see if they'll issue me something if I know what to ask for, not sure if they'll give it to me.  The law enforcement thing is very mysterious to me. 

What about the METV route in that case?  

10 hours ago, chubby said:

if you plan on staying > 2 years, probably go ahead and get the   'extension of stay'  in Thailand, but you'll need a Thai Bank account, which might require the time and expense of going to Wireless Rd. US Emb for the 'proof of residence' , and the money must sit in the Thai bank for some length of time IIRC. 

PS is that your real photo   K. richcook  man ?

Yes my real photo, do you know me?  

Aha, I see one of my questions is answered.  I'm definitely leaning to the O-A visa, as it allows multiple entry per @Diplomatico but 

10 hours ago, Diplomatico said:

Do you already have the medical certificate from your doctor and the local law enforcement background check in hand?  (Those are required for you to obtain the O-A visa at the Los Angeles consulate

It's not five days turnaround in LA.....you drop off the application with passport one day, pick up your passport with visa the next day.  

As elviajero stated, you can get up to two years in Thailand with the O-A visa if you strategically leave and re-enter the country just prior to the "enter before" date.  It's also a multiple entry visa so you don't need re-entry permits for the first year of those two years.

You do not need an attorney to apply in Thailand.  

The cost to do either is roughly equivalent, depending upon the cost of your medical cert and the notary public requirement.  In the USA you can get your notary public signature at Postal Annex stores for $10.00.  (Others will be along to dispute the cost equivalency statement but if you compare the cost of two separate years of permission to stay + re-entry permits with the cost of two years O-A visa, the cost difference is negligible, if any.)

The "hassle factor" is much less in Los Angeles.  Btw, there's a small shop almost directly across the street from the LA Consulate that does photos, copies, and (I think) provides notary services too.  

OK so it really sounds like I want an O-A.  This is because it is multiple entry, lasts a long time, and can be gotten quickly.  I have plenty of cash laying around.  The only things left for me is the get the medical cert and background check ready.  Can you point me to more info about how/where to do that?  Sorry to be such a helpless chick here but I've only ever entered on 30 day visas on arrival in the past and done brief stays of 2 weeks at a time.  Much appreciation for the help!  If I call the embassy, will they be helpful or give me confusing directions in a thick accent?  :-)  I hate to drive 6 hours to LA and find out I forgot to go to some office here for some piece of paper.  Everything I have is digital, on my laptop/in the cloud so should be able to print out proof of bank account.  

24 minutes ago, wealthychef said:

Aha, I see one of my questions is answered.  I'm definitely leaning to the O-A visa, as it allows multiple entry per @Diplomatico but 

OK so it really sounds like I want an O-A.  This is because it is multiple entry, lasts a long time, and can be gotten quickly.  I have plenty of cash laying around.  The only things left for me is the get the medical cert and background check ready.  Can you point me to more info about how/where to do that?  Sorry to be such a helpless chick here but I've only ever entered on 30 day visas on arrival in the past and done brief stays of 2 weeks at a time.  Much appreciation for the help!  If I call the embassy, will they be helpful or give me confusing directions in a thick accent?  :-)  I hate to drive 6 hours to LA and find out I forgot to go to some office here for some piece of paper.  Everything I have is digital, on my laptop/in the cloud so should be able to print out proof of bank account.  

http://thaiembdc.org/consular-services/non-immigrant-visas/non-immigrant-category-o/

Check the link for detail of the O-A visa

2 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Thanks for the link.  It says a 5 day turnaround there, I realize it's for Washington, but @Diplomatico are you sure about it being fast in LA?  

On the linked page, it says I need a letter from the FBI!  Is there a fast way to get that?  Anyone have experience there?  

The doctor would be really easy if I had a doctor, but without, I have no idea how I'm going to swing that either.  

Thanks for the help!  

6 hours ago, wealthychef said:

Thanks for the link.  It says a 5 day turnaround there, I realize it's for Washington, but @Diplomatico are you sure about it being fast in LA?  

On the linked page, it says I need a letter from the FBI!  Is there a fast way to get that?  Anyone have experience there?  

The doctor would be really easy if I had a doctor, but without, I have no idea how I'm going to swing that either.  

Thanks for the help!  

I've gotten two O-A visas from LA in the last three years; both times it was drop off, pick up next day.

LA Consulate does not require an FBI background check - I used a background check from my local (city) police department.  That took 7-10 days to obtain from the time I applied.

I don't think that you will be able to obtain the necessary documentation in the next 1-2 days to apply for an O-A visa in LA.  You might find a doctor who would sign off without knowing you....but from what I've read here, many want to at least run blood tests prior to doing so.  I can't see how you'd get a background check in a day.  

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

• Like 1

Also if you can't get the OA in LA don't expect to just get an O either as another member suggested. With your tourist visa you'll need two steps in Thailand. First step is change tourist to O. Second step retirement extension. Bank money doesn't need seasoning for first step but does for the second. Money must be in Thailand. Figure how you will do the money transfers before you leave the U.S. Depending on bank you may need to sign documents in person in the U.S. Seasoning time is 2 months for first extension.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the clear and helpful instructions.  It sounds as if I've procrastinated my best options off the table.  I'll have to make another run at all of this somehow another time.  This time around, I'll shoot for the METV as it suits my purposes best.  http://thaiembdc.org/tourist-visa-category-tr-multiple-metv/ for anyone scanning through later.  At LA the turnaround on this is same day, which is quite remarkable actually.  No Mexico trip needed, so can spend more time with my sister up north!  

I can now start my retirement with happiness in the land of smiles.  Hope to meet some of you on the other side of the rabbit hole!  

โชคดีครับ!!!

• 1 month later...

And as a followup, I ended up getting a single-entry tourist 60 day visa, which I am now in the process of converting to a 1-year non-immigrant "O" visa from here in Bangkok, where it is much easier.  Best of all possible worlds.  A bit tricky but lucky I have a friend to help navigate the bureaucracy -- a must in Thailand!  :-)  Sawatdi <deleted>

not sure what step of the process you are in right now.  have you been to chaeng wattana immigration and given proof of funds ?  i have my funds in a USD account in bangkok bank.  i'd prefer to not convert the funds to thai baht (ever).  wondering if you used a USD account (funds in thailand but denominated in USD) or had to move the money into thai baht.

also, did you visit one of the banks at CW in order to get your bank letter (which supposedly needs to be dated the same day as your visit to CW) ?  i'm wondering what time the banks open there.

i'm doing the same as you.  my visits to the USA are somewhat short and i don't have time to deal with doctors, police reports, notaries, etc..  often i don't even know where i'll be from one week to the next so getting the passport mailed back can be challenging also.

You can NOT get a O-A visa in Thailand

In the U.S. they will want you to get such a visa in the U.S. also.

Now you may be able to arrive on an O-A visa and later extend to another type of visa in Thailand or Southeast Asia later.

But the real advantage of getting an O-A visa outside of Thailand (as in the U.S.) is arriving in Thailand and getting a one year  stay entrance stamp on arrival.

And if you know what you are doing you can relitively easily stretch  that O-A visa to two years with  a minimum of hassle.

But if you try to get an O-A visa  at all in Thailand, you will find doing that a hassle.

Which is why you sould, if you can, take the extra time and money to get an O-A visa BEFORE you leave the U.S.

• Like 1

Note:  An O-A visa is NOT the same as a Non  immigrant O visa, which if you can get in the U.S. can be relatively easily converted in Thailand to a 1 year retirement/visa or  marrriage extension.

Just as long as you meet the requirements (financial and age) here in Thailand.

One you have such an extension, either because of retirement or marriage to a Thai, you can continue to extend it each year as long as you still meet the requirements for each yearly renewal.

There are people here in Thailand who have been here legally for years with an extension done one time a year each year.

It would also be entirely possible to enter Thailand with an O-A visa.....then stretch that to 2 years legally....then qualify for an annual extension bsed either on a marriage to a Thai spouse or retirement.

it can be done.

i am in bangkok now and may convert my SETV (obtained in USA), to a non imm O at chaeng wattana (CW).  it is my understanding that the O visa will give me 90 days, then i request the one year extension (several requirements related to this, which i'll leave out).  the process will require 3 trips to CW, 2 for the O and 1 for the extension of stay.  i think the OP is doing the same.

this process is alot easier for me as i've been spending the majority of my time in bangkok since i retired at age 40.  given the 10 yrs that have passed, i don't have much left in the USA (cars, homes, doctors, etc...).  my car, home, and doctor are in bangkok (although my car is really a taxi !!!).  when i'm in the USA i am extremely busy seeing friends and have more than a full schedule.  getting the O-A in USA is certainly an option, but here in bkk, i have alot of free time and can spend all day at CW if needed.  i'm glad i finally turned 50 so i can get off the SETV train and onto the extension of stay for purposes of retirement train.

16 hours ago, 4evermaat said:

With the way some immigration offices are acting, i might opt for the non O-A multiple from home country or a non O multiple.

Less stress, more options with visa in hand. especially with non-o-A.

And especially for first timers

are you saying the process i've described (convert to O, get extension of stay) is under scrutiny by immigration.  i realize there are often 'changes' made to their policies and can obtain the O-A in USA if and when they change.

with respect to non O multiple, i plan to get a re-entry permit (multiple) in connection with the extension of stay.  is this what you reference ?  i enjoy thailand but also like to travel to surrounding countries plus USA and europe.

and i'm a little confused about 'first timers', what difference would that make ?

have you used a USD denominated account to satisfy the financial requirement for non O/extension of stay ?

do you know what time the banks open at CW ?

Edited by buick

On 11/24/2016 at 9:43 AM, buick said:

are you saying the process i've described (convert to O, get extension of stay) is under scrutiny by immigration.  i realize there are often 'changes' made to their policies and can obtain the O-A in USA if and when they change.

with respect to non O multiple, i plan to get a re-entry permit (multiple) in connection with the extension of stay.  is this what you reference ?  i enjoy thailand but also like to travel to surrounding countries plus USA and europe.

and i'm a little confused about 'first timers', what difference would that make ?

have you used a USD denominated account to satisfy the financial requirement for non O/extension of stay ?

do you know what time the banks open at CW ?

Visa (Single Entry or Multiple Entry non immigrant or tourist) is obtained outside thailand at a Thai Embassy / Consulate.

Extension of Stay is obtained one within Thailand at a local immigration office.

so you can obtain ME a non-O or non-OA outside thailand (OA is a little better) at a Thai Embassy in USA. Then you visit thailand and either:

a) Do a border run every 90 days (non-O) or once a year (OA)

b ) for any entry, the last 30 days of the entry you can extend in Thailand based on retirement.  There is no change to this procedure.

If the sole purpose is to extend for 1 year in country, you can also just get a SE non-O and then do 'b )' above.

It is also possible to enter thailand on a Visa Exempt (VE) or Tourist Visa (TV) and then attempt to convert this into a non-imm equivalent, and then extend the converted non-imm.  Not all local immigration offices do this.  Only the main office in  ChaengWattana and a few popular ones like Pattaya or Phuket might do it.  It's just easier to obtain a non-imm visa prior to arriving or maybe even doing a run to Penang, Vientiane, et. al. to obtain non-imm and then re-enter thailand to later extend.

When it comes to extensions, I only have 2nd hand experience from other expats that I keep in touch with.  UbonJoe et al would be better resource.  I forgot what forms are used to request the VE/TV conversion to non-imm so you can extend.  It's not so much any added scrutiny.  It is just at some local immigration offices, express fees or additional paperwork is being requested and it has rubbed some applicants the wrong way.

No big deal really.....just depends on how you want to play it.  Let us know how it turns out.