Hill tribe kids stop Doi Suthep selfies after watch theft case

webfact

Hill tribe kids stop Doi Suthep selfies after watch theft case

pm4.jpg

Image: Krobkruakao

CHIANG MAI: -- Hmong hill tribe children are no longer posing for selfies with tourists after the infamous case involving the alleged theft of a wrist watch.

Reporters at Doi Suthep temple in Chiang Mai were told by locals that the children had not been seen for two weeks, reported Krobkruakao.

A British tourist went on Facebook to claim that a child had stolen her watch after they posed for pictures a few weeks back. 

The families told police their children were innocent, a claim backed up by the headman of their village.

But this was after the story reached news media throughout the world causing damage to the local tourism industry.

The tourist and her boyfriend were never found to verify what had happened.

Locals told reporters they had not seen the Hmong kids for two weeks now. They asked the authorities to move to restore their good name.

Reporters understand that the parents of the two children and others who were a colorful feature at the temple on weekends for many years do not want their kids to be looked down on as thieves for something they did not do. So they are staying away.

Source: Krobkruakao

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-10-03

2 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Admission of Guilt?

No, but then that is something that you would know about in your own hypocritical way.  Sorry to disappoint you but after the first defamatory story appeared the tourists reported that the watch had been found.

To bad they not their any more but i can not blame them.

They will be missed because it gave that little bit extra to the temple.

Hope this blows over soon and maybe some apologies from the tourists so they can come back and earn some extra income for their parents again.

Edited by terminatorchiangmai

5 minutes ago, Thailand said:

Defamation?

I'd think so. Hope some lawyer at least sues those two tourist so that if they ever return they can spend some drink money helping the now famous children. Their innocence isn't published around the world nearly as much as their supposed guilt. Low life tourist.

3 hours ago, gdgbb said:

No, but then that is something that you would know about in your own hypocritical way.  Sorry to disappoint you but after the first defamatory story appeared the tourists reported that the watch had been found.

Sorry that I missed that report. 

13 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... yes, yes, heartbreaking, truly - give 'em another  2 weeks & back to bizz as usual, just with then increased 'photo-fees' because of all the hardship i bet ...

Fairly reliable gravy train for decades after all  ...

surely not, would they really do that

well I am truly shocked if thats the case

who would ever have thought it

what on earth is this world coming to

17 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

surely not, would they really do that

well I am truly shocked if thats the case

who would ever have thought it

what on earth is this world coming to

Hehe, yes lad, what times that where when - blue eyed as i was back then - similar thoughts crossed my mind unhindered & in earnest.
From day 1 of being here - well, make that week 2 rather because the first week i was pretty convinced they had to have their drinking water laced with Mr. Lyserg all the way, ample provision mind you, for better measure. Loved it.

But meanwhile manifested: no free acid but nasty reality, i'm afraid.

Still here though - so who are the idiots really ...

Can you imagine how difficult it would be to be a pickpocket after half the world knows who you are, where you work, and how you do it? So in that scenario it would be wise to leave.

But if they are not in the business of thieving. and they truly did make money from photos. All this publicity would be great for business. Who wouldn't want a photo with the little picpockets of Doi Suthep.

In this case it would be a mistake to quit.

So were they wise or foolish?

4 hours ago, Think2Mutt said:

Obviously some drunk-ass Aussie Bogans who the Hell turns up to Northern Thailand's most holy site p****d-up anyway?

To lazy to read the OP.

Says they were British...

Think u better apologise to all the Aussie Bogans of this world...... lol

Edited by Chalard

I have personally had a hilltribe child try to pick my pocket. Fortunately, I carry nothing but a handkerchief in my back pocket and usually wear cargo pants, which are a bit harder to steal from. Many tourists and expats have reported attempted and successful pickpocketing by these kids. It is NOT defamation....it is FACT.

6 hours ago, Jools said:

I have personally had a hilltribe child try to pick my pocket. Fortunately, I carry nothing but a handkerchief in my back pocket and usually wear cargo pants, which are a bit harder to steal from. Many tourists and expats have reported attempted and successful pickpocketing by these kids. It is NOT defamation....it is FACT.

Rubbish, I've never seen a single report of attempted pickpocketing by these kids anywhere in the past fifteen years! I challenge you to produce a link from a reliable trusted professional media source showing what you say is true!

Edited by chiang mai

13 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

... yes, yes, heartbreaking, truly - give 'em another  2 weeks & back to bizz as usual, just with then increased 'photo-fees' because of all the hardship i bet ...

Fairly reliable gravy train for decades after all  ...

walk in their shoes for a bit and you would lower yourself as well, hunger has a great way of destroying pride

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

Rubbish, I've never seen a single report of attempted pickpocketing by these kids anywhere in the past fifteen years! I challenge you to produce a link from a reliable trusted professional media source showing what you say is true!

They have never been caught before, so, that means that could not possibly have done it ?

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They have never been caught before, so, that means that could not possibly have done it ?

Read the entire post: poster Jools states that he and others have been pick pocketed by them/others and that it's commonplace, I want to see the proof.

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

I wouldn't worry about Jools he's a bit like gravy needs to be stirring so as not to get congealed.

7 hours ago, soalbundy said:

walk in their shoes for a bit and you would lower yourself as well, hunger has a great way of destroying pride

... really? Well, not that this non-story deserves more attention, for once - and the ratio is 1:1000 minimum - it's the other way round is what it is, no more.

Disagree, not hunger destroys pride in this country but greed does, permanently & on all corners.

Thus greed will take care none of their neighbors or 'friends' will take over this fat turf, and if they do it will be for just a pretty short time - watch it ...

11 hours ago, chiang mai said:

You can dismiss it as "rubbish" if you like, but there have been warning all over the internet about pickpocketing hill tribe children. They are experts.