back in uk now

alzack

21 hours ago, ExpatJ said:

I think your basic arguement is correct- if parents cannot afford pay for their kids to get better education then they should not try and borrow or put unrealistic pressure on their lives trying to scrape the money together.

But if parents have the money then of course they pay for better education.

But your arguments about letting kids take care of them selves in cheap/er schools is the very common arguement heard from people who cannot afford more. And it's perfectly understandable self justification to make the parents feel better in themselves. But obviously not in the best interests of the kids themselves.

I think a lot of people misunderstood where I am coming from.

I am not trying to justify spending money for semi-private schooling Vs international schooling or just plain public schooling, choosing semi-private with English assisted our kids in the transition to Thai.

The kids are all doing well at school and currently ranked in the top 10 out of 30 students per class, and in our opinion as the (parents), we see no benefit for the kids to attend anything more than semi private schooling at this point in their ages and the fact that they are doing well.

The $'s I have invested, is for their future here in the village, they can live off the land quite comfortably, if either of them wants to do better and become doctors, lawyers, teachers later in schooling and go the other way as opposed to the way we are thinking, which is the reverse to normal western thinking, then we will support them, but we believe we are giving them the better alternative of a stress free life in the village, with all the financial support they need, remember, this is our thinking, however if they wanted to go to say Australia to do Uni or something like that, then we would support them, so please don't judge before you read between the lines, so easy to criticise, and am not saying you have ExpatJ....555

If everyone wants their kids to work in tall glass buildings because of a better education, then sel-a-vee, I and my wife love this existence, and from how we see the kids walking freely, or riding their bikes freely and playing freely in the village without a care, this is the life we want them to hold onto, while they let the others go their ways, each to their own, not saying that's not saying our way of thinking is going to draw criticism, but name calling is not required from low life on TV who thinks he know everything having obtained his American PHD from inside a Kellogs corn flake packet.

Edited by 4MyEgo

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a lot of people misunderstood where I am coming from.

I am not trying to justify spending money for semi-private schooling Vs international schooling or just plain public schooling, choosing semi-private with English assisted our kids in the transition to Thai.

The kids are all doing well at school and currently ranked in the top 10 out of 30 students per class, and in our opinion as the (parents), we see no benefit for the kids to attend anything more than semi private schooling at this point in their ages and the fact that they are doing well.

The $'s I have invested, is for their future here in the village, they can live off the land quite comfortably, if either of them wants to do better and become doctors, lawyers, teachers later in schooling and go the other way as opposed to the way we are thinking, which is the reverse to normal western thinking, then we will support them, but we believe we are giving them the better alternative of a stress free life in the village, with all the financial support they need, remember, this is our thinking, however if they wanted to go to say Australia to do Uni or something like that, then we would support them, so please don't judge before you read between the lines, so easy to criticise, and am not saying you have ExpatJ....555

If everyone wants their kids to work in tall glass buildings because of a better education, then sel-a-vee, I and my wife love this existence, and from how we see the kids walking freely, or riding their bikes freely and playing freely in the village without a care, this is the life we want them to hold onto, while they let the others go their ways, each to their own, not saying that's not saying our way of thinking is going to draw criticism, but name calling is not required from low life on TV who thinks he know everything having obtained his American PHD from inside a Kellogs corn flake packet.

With respect you are deluding yourself about stress free life in a Thai village.There is more stress in a Thai villages than in most places, usually because of acute financial pressures.Your vision is a pleasant one but also naive and unrealistic.What exactly are you investing in to secure your children's future? I very much doubt it is any kind of substitute for a proper education - which cannot be had in most parts of rural Thailand.

You say you would support your children if they showed ambition but frankly in the unstructured unchallenging village environment they are unlikely to be intellectually stimulated enough for that spark to develop.

In a nutshell you seem to be taking decisions that suit you not the welfare of your children.

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

This now says it all:  

"Some men could give a rats arse about their Thai children every getting an education that will provide more than 15,000 thb per month, but that just shows they care more about themselves.

Those guys are the ones always on TV that never have anything of value to add, while badmouthing all the effort others put in to educated the readers with true stories and facts.

Do not let the naysayers get to you".

I now see that you yourself failed to get an education, I learned that when you live in a "democratic society" you are entitled to free speech, too bad some have to take things out of context and have no understanding that everyone is entitled to an opinion, this is why we have a "democracy" Yank.

Yank Here. 

Say whatever you want. Free speech protects you from the government and law, not your peers. Say dumb condescending sh*t and be prepared to get it in return. 

Never ceases to amaze how pathetic some of you can be

Edited by Strange

7 hours ago, jayboy said:

With respect you are deluding yourself about stress free life in a Thai village.There is more stress in a Thai villages than in most places, usually because of acute financial pressures.Your vision is a pleasant one but also naive and unrealistic.What exactly are you investing in to secure your children's future? I very much doubt it is any kind of substitute for a proper education - which cannot be had in most parts of rural Thailand.

You say you would support your children if they showed ambition but frankly in the unstructured unchallenging village environment they are unlikely to be intellectually stimulated enough for that spark to develop.

In a nutshell you seem to be taking decisions that suit you not the welfare of your children.

7 hours ago, Strange said:

Yank Here. 

Say whatever you want. Free speech protects you from the government and law, not your peers. Say dumb condescending sh*t and be prepared to get it in return. 

Never ceases to amaze how pathetic some of you can be

Yankie doodle dandy

Alzack, first well done mate to go through all that and not give up. I have to admit to feeling the same way as you. I am 65 with a 15 year old son. Only trouble is I don't have the means to go back (my own fault for not looking forward enough) although I am working on it. Where in blighty are you living. No real reason, more curiousity really. I just don't feel at home in Thailand or feel welcome even after 18 years here. Anyway, keep us informed on your progress regulary.

Cheers and best of luck.

On October 9, 2016 at 2:32 PM, Bonobojt said:

Whats wrong with education and schools in Thailand ? I would of thought the kids in the schools in Thailand would be more respectful and well behaved compared to kids in the UK.

he's getting a free school meal, but is it healthy ? I'm guessing thai school food is rice, vegetables, herbs and meat, here in the UK its like junk food, pizza and burgers, but I could be wrong, hope it goes well for your family.

You ask " what's wrong with education and state schools in  Thailand" 

There may be the odd exemption, but the majority are of a very low standard.

That's the way the Thai authorities like it.

On October 9, 2016 at 10:46 PM, bwpage3 said:

I would like to see some proof your 3200 baht bill running 2 air cons and a swimming pool

Send the photos and the bill 

I can confirm the amount you can expect to pay for that level of electricity.

Up to last year we had a house with only one a/c, large swimming pool, large fish pond with pump. Average monthly bill 3300bht.

On October 4, 2016 at 3:34 PM, chiang mai said:

Many thanks for all that, it sounds like it was painful! A few years ago I returned to the UK after living in CM for ten years and I tried to buy property, the Solicitor got me so wound up with money laundering and proof of source of wealth that I gave up and decided it wasn't worth the hassle hence I can relate to some of what you've written. Good luck with it all in going forward, we'll keep an eye on Northern Thailand for you, until you get back!

I think you are in the same position as me, in that you have a QROPS.

Did you have one when you returned to live in the UK? And if so,while you were there did you loose those perks available with a Qrops. And importantly were you able to regain those advantages immediately on returning to live in Thailand.

Originally I planned to return to Europe - now it looks as if I shall be returning to UK.......that I have to restrict my options because of an undemocratic move by an incompetent PM is very galling indeed.

At least once home I will be able to voice my opinions without having to think what I'm allowed by the governent and their lackies (TV included)

Good for the OP! You are doing well to have got all the paperwork to bring your family and take care of what's best for them. Just getting a fiancé visa to bring my wife to the USA took close to two years from the time I applied until the time she got her first resident card. It's now going on three years since we were married in the US and we are still dealing with getting her 10 years resident card. Piles of paperworks to do with all the applications, plus many fees along the way. Two weeks ago we went to her second biometrics appointment, after I sent in the application in February! I guess they want to make sure it's the same woman? Hopefully soon we'll get her new resident card and we can get back to our house in Phuket. Then I'll have to get my visa extension there! 

This living in two countries is a bit of a pain! I didn't even mention the paperwork to export and import my dog every year! I'm glad my only daughter is grown and very happily married!

45 minutes ago, cumgranosalum said:

Originally I planned to return to Europe - now it looks as if I shall be returning to UK.......that I have to restrict my options because of an undemocratic move by an incompetent PM is very galling indeed.

At least once home I will be able to voice my opinions without having to think what I'm allowed by the governent and their lackies (TV included)

Perhaps you just do not know the meaning of Democracy.

Thanks for the honesty and great post.  I cant relate to the actual obstacles bc I am am American but I do relate to the pondering and assimilation back into the west. 

For some reason,  As thai seems to be going backwards and imo is changing at a rapid pace for the  negative in a lot of ways 

Thaivisa  seems to be getting more + with the posts and actual help from the posters. 

I applaud the farangs for making the input and assistance in an ever increasing / changing society for us. 

Having this community does help us, in a place at times that seems to not care whether we are here nor there. 

Other than the pocketbook:)  Cheers and good luck. 

This is a very interesting thread.  After 10 years living here I am seriously considering returning to the UK.

Things have been very good for me here over the years.. but this past year or so I have been finding it more stressful to live here... even in my rural village.   I also find the immigration here In Chiang Mai a bit frustrating, and have noticed the change in attitudes to farangs living here... with some people having some distrust and resentment to us... and lots of bad news reports on the TV and in the papers about farangs being dangerous sneaky criminals. 

My long term plan was to return to Europe... get a job and house in a warm climate.  However, now the Europe thing seems not to be too safe an option in current times, and living here the devalued pound is also hurting a little.

Problem for me is I have most of my assets here... in the house, land, banks.  Its going to be hard to sell the house and also take the money out of the country.  Then finding a place to live and work in the UK is not going to be a walk in the park, especially as I have a disability with prevents me from being able to drive. Also my partner will not want to return to the UK.. so that will mean problems sorting out finances between us and a lot of heartache. 

So I am a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. 

20 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

This is a very interesting thread.  After 10 years living here I am seriously considering returning to the UK.

Things have been very good for me here over the years.. but this past year or so I have been finding it more stressful to live here... even in my rural village.   I also find the immigration here In Chiang Mai a bit frustrating, and have noticed the change in attitudes to farangs living here... with some people having some distrust and resentment to us... and lots of bad news reports on the TV and in the papers about farangs being dangerous sneaky criminals. 

My long term plan was to return to Europe... get a job and house in a warm climate.  However, now the Europe thing seems not to be too safe an option in current times, and living here the devalued pound is also hurting a little.

Problem for me is I have most of my assets here... in the house, land, banks.  Its going to be hard to sell the house and also take the money out of the country.  Then finding a place to live and work in the UK is not going to be a walk in the park, especially as I have a disability with prevents me from being able to drive. Also my partner will not want to return to the UK.. so that will mean problems sorting out finances between us and a lot of heartache. 

So I am a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment. 

Hi we moved out of Thailand 2 months ago

Like you we had considerable assets to sell

meaning...........

Condo

Business

Truck

Motorcycles

household goods etc etc etc

It all went quicker than I expected & for better prices than I thought we would get

In fact we had to rent our condo back from the buyer for a few months

In the end it all worked out & went quite smoothly

We did have the benefit of still having our home back here & gave the renters 3 months notice before we arrived

We have been up & down the first month between being sad about leaving family & friends in Thailand

But also we have been astounded by things we forgot about here.

The shear beauty of where we live here & the clean air roads, water etc

Prices surprisingly are about exactly the same per month for us

We keep great records & have a fairly simple life

Anyways............Good luck to you & what you decide.

Never worry too much as nothing has to be forever & as far as the size of the

task you mention...it all starts with a step then another etc.

It all gets done just don't stress too much

Good Luck :wink:

PS: Taking money out via Bangkok bank is simple

As long as sent in chunks under 50k USD no paper at all required

Our other banks like Ayudhya thought we needed work permit etc etc

But Bangkok Bank was simple & efficient

Edited by mania

On 05/10/2016 at 11:05 PM, georgemandm said:

Who told you it was my  neighbour not me 

and who told you I was from the UK not me .

well there you go you just said you not waste  electricity . 

I said if you want to live well in thailand you have to pay for it ok .

how can you own land in thailand I think not .

not you land full stop .

i believe your  figures yes if you live like a  tight arse .

and of what you tell me you do .

still not understand how man can come to thailand and do like you and never own what they do .

So the op is living like a king in the UK,on a pension,i don't think so.Not everybody wants to own land and the op rented in both countries.Everything else you can own.

On 05/10/2016 at 10:35 PM, georgemandm said:

Well not sure about you am I .

i am saying here in thailand if you want To live well with aircon you have to pay .

i find that very hard to believe you pay just 3200 .

i have a other friend just one aircon not all day 2000 thai bht .

read the like I got if you not believe me I am just saying.

Now been in the home country lately, and added heating costs to the electricity bill? I guess not because you would consider 8000 Baht a bargain.

whats all that  supposed to mean ?.

i pay 2000 thai bht a month in my country for  electricity and my gas is high in winter for 3 months 4000  thi bht a month still not 8,789 is it and that is just for 3 months not all year round.

my gas in none winter months is 1500 thai bht  a month .

I see the originator has conveniently not added the cost of Council Tax.  However, I wish him and his Family the very best of luck.  By the way we run six houses and the bill was under 15,000 baht.  The cost of electricity is up to the user, as is the heating bill in the UK, but there are more things than climate that affect my decision to stay.  Nice friends, most of whom have a smile and are happy to acknowledge your daily greeting.  Lovely food.  Ability to travel to other fascinating Countries in Asia and so on.  I am not that affected by the TEMPORARY DIVE of the pound as I also have a Thai income.  We are also not short of a bob or two, having carefully planned our residence in Thailand.  All in all, I am here to stay for the foreseeable future, even having reaching the young age of 71 years.

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Perhaps you just do not know the meaning of Democracy.

Is it 15 million people (the number who voted leave in the "Big Opinion Poll") deciding the future for a nation of 64 million people?

And then a PM acting against the Constitution, as a Dictator, not placing the matter before the elected representatives of "the people"? (Parliament that is. The notion that this will go to an Order in Council, before HM, is ludicrous)

To make a "unilateral" decision to leave would itself not be acceptable to the EU, as it would not be "in accordance with the Constitutional requirements of the country initiating Article 50".

Dictators are not welcome in the UK (as they seem to be elsewhere).  Cromwell was enough, such that the return of the King was met with much celebration.

The cry of "Dictator" will be heard more and more.  For some it is reason enough for war.  It has been in the past.

Which is what provoked Heseltines angry outburst.

Happily there is a good chance that it will not come to that as the matter, undoubtedly, will go before the courts.  All of them, up to the highest in the land.  They are unlikely to "rule away" Parliamentary Sovereignty.

As an aside it should be understood that pre-departure the European Court would continue to have authority over British courts as that is now part of British law and could overule any decision.  The European Court will continue to have authority until it is removed (Repealed) by Act of Parliament.  This has been pointed out by Ms May who has stated that European laws now integrated into British Law can/will be removed by Parliamentary Repeal (the only way they can be) after Britain leaves. 

Thus the European Court can overule any ruling by British Courts that such Dictatorial behaviour is "in accordance with the Constitutional requirements".

You need to brush up on how Britain does "Democracy".

Edited by Enoon

On 2016-10-05 at 5:35 PM, georgemandm said:

Well not sure about you am I .

i am saying here in thailand if you want To live well with aircon you have to pay .

i find that very hard to believe you pay just 3200 .

i have a other friend just one aircon not all day 2000 thai bht .

read the like I got if you not believe me I am just saying.

Now been in the home country lately, and added heating costs to the electricity bill? I guess not because you would consider 8000 Baht a bargain.

whats all that  supposed to mean ?.

i pay 2000 thai bht a month in my country for  electricity and my gas is high in winter for 3 months 4000  thi bht a month still not 8,789 is it and that is just for 3 months not all year round.

my gas in none winter months is 1500 thai bht  a month .

It all depends how much your condo managment charges you. Im using airco everyday set at 25 celsius. And i pay around 800-1400 a month for electrcity.

I pay 300bht for security,pool, managment a month. My friend pays 2300 a month for managment.  Im in a 4 year old condo unit.

18 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Is it 15 million people (the number who voted leave in the "Big Opinion Poll") deciding the future for a nation of 64 million people?

And then a PM acting against the Constitution, as a Dictator, not placing the matter before the elected representatives of "the people"? (Parliament that is. The notion that this will go to an Order in Council, before HM, is ludicrous)

To make a "unilateral" decision to leave would itself not be acceptable to the EU, as it would not be "in accordance with the Constitutional requirements of the country initiating Article 50".

Dictators are not welcome in the UK (as they seem to be elsewhere).  Cromwell was enough, such that the return of the King was met with much celebration.

The cry of "Dictator" will be heard more and more.  For some it is reason enough for war.  It has been in the past.

Which is what provoked Heseltines angry outburst.

Happily there is a good chance that it will not come to that as the matter, undoubtedly, will go before the courts.  All of them, up to the highest in the land.  They are unlikely to "rule away" Parliamentary Sovereignty.

As an aside it should be understood that pre-departure the European Court would continue to have authority over British courts as that is now part of British law and could overule any decision.  The European Court will continue to have authority until it is removed (Repealed) by Act of Parliament.  This has been pointed out by Ms May who has stated that European laws now integrated into British Law can/will be removed by Parliamentary Repeal (the only way they can be) after Britain leaves. 

Thus the European Court can overule any ruling by British Courts that such Dictatorial behaviour is "in accordance with the Constitutional requirements".

You need to brush up on how Britain does "Democracy".

15 million....hmmmm, how many folk COULD have voted but didn't....Perhaps you should have a word with those who couldn't be bothered to step outside their door..

One of the biggest issues regarding the UK now is Brexit. No offence to anyone who voted for Brexit and I am not going to take any political stance on it, but it is clear that the UK is in for a rocky period of some years. The drop in currency is just the beginning.

This is more likely to affect people looking for work. But if you are looking to buy assets (land for a farm, equipment etc), you may find that the cost is going to be lower especially if you are coming in with foreign currency.

Brexit may impact fiscally on the UK - that means that either government spending will be lower or they will have to raise taxes. Many of the benefits have been squeezed (for the disabled etc). But one group has benefited, which are the pensioners whose state pensions have risen in real terms. In desperation, the government may have to freeze or reduce pensions.

Sorry to be so pessimistic but I too have suffered from the drop in value of the pound and the small property I rent out in the UK which is usually rented very quickly has been dreadfully slow to rent.

Just a comment on electricity bills. We have a single air conditioner in our bedroom and all the other usual appliances .... computer , big smartscreen tv etc.

Our electric bill seldom exceeds 1000 baht a month except at the height of the hot season. The air con is on all night set to 25 or 26 but not much used in the daytime. Our attic space has plenty of insulation and all our bulbs are of the eco type. Cooking is by gas......electric cookers can add a lot to your bill and a tank of gas lasts 3 months and costs only 250 baht.

Been here for 14 years and would go back tomorrow if I could, but genuinely stuck here, at least for now. We know the UK is far from perfect, but at least it's home and it's real life and you can have a life....sick of this place now, what with the heat, crap food, fake 'expats' language problem, the roads, crap infrastructure, corruption, I could go on forever..and I can't see it getting any better. I'm 43 so will go back at some point, maybe when the kids have grown up, not a chance I'm seeing my days out here sweating my b*lls off..

Good luck to ya, how you found the energy at 73 to go through this move and everything that it entails is a credit to you, and I don't hand out compliments easily..