Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

9 hours ago, Khun Han said:

And the relevance of your comment is? (please don't change the subject if you reply)

Sorry it flew over your head.

Business is financed by investors and they expect a return on their investment, they are certainly not happy about the exchange rate.

It is irrelevant what the BOE and the IMF think, if shareholders do not get the return they expect they just dispose of the shares which can put the company concerned in trouble. Normal response is to shed jobs in an attempt to bring profits back to an acceptable level for shareholders.

You can expect to see foreign based business taking corrective action against the falling exchange rate. Those that work for them will be getting very nervous.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Khun Han said:

The UK is not going to disintegrate. It will have to reform a little due to brexit. But the UK itself is very sound (and has been for several hundred years) and will still be around when the EU disintegrates (probably toward the end of next year).

What many fail to get to grips with is that the result was not the 'will of the people', it may have been the will of the English people but not the Irish or the Scots, Scotland was 62% to remain.  It is nothing short of bully boy tactics, if England wants to leave then everyone must leave. How would it go down if the UK population was told they must belong to the Church of England.

David Cameron screwed up. He was such an egomaniac there was no consideration given to the vote going the wrong way. In line with his assurances to Scotland in the Independence vote the referendum result should have been subject to a majority in all countries of the UK.

Whatever the outcome, the United Kingdom has been killed off and it is a Disunited Kingdom that sails into the unknown.

A consultation gets under way next week on plans for a second Scottish independence referendum, the SNP's Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37634338

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

My apologies Grouse for my spelling error. I was dealing with a national tragedy at the time with my staff and replying to you was my second priority. Which really should have been no priority at all but i was being polite.  I hope you will not lose any sleep over it.

As someone from Yorkshire i thought a more phonetic spelling would help you understand.

You and Chang Mai are like the chuickle brothers always bickering and forcing your opinion on others. You ask for reasons and  explanations and say you can't accept them. That is what a debate is.  This constant whinging on about the UK getting out of the EU is becoming tiresome. I can't understand why you don't have a bit of confidence in the UK standing on her own two feet and being prosperous.

I have mentioned before about trenches and i certainly would not want you in mine. At the first sign of trouble I can imagine you would 'buckle' and running off shouting 'run for your lives'  I suggest you start accepting the fact that the EU and the UK are getting divorced. The settlement is not yet sure or sorted but is happening. Your constant lets discuss this but then ridicule posters is now becoming pityful.

So as a true Yorkshireman' as you have suggested start being more adult and respect the 17 plus million people who disagreed with you.

BTW I am pretty sure you have another name on here. It is quite easy to see when you see your posts and someone likes them straight away. You don't have to be a genius to work that out.

PS. If I make any more spelling mistakes deal with it, as it just makes you look an absolute anchor.

If you are really as thin skinned as the above suggests, are you sure you should be exposing yourself so willingly to public discourse?

While I cannot be 100% certain of what Grouse found amusing, I suspect, like me, he chuckled not at the spelling mistake but at the context in which it was written. You handed it over on a silver platter then got uppity when someone took a bite. Grow up.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

What many fail to get to grips with is that the result was not the 'will of the people', it may have been the will of the English people but not the Irish or the Scots, Scotland was 62% to remain.  It is nothing short of bully boy tactics, if England wants to leave then everyone must leave. How would it go down if the UK population was told they must belong to the Church of England.

David Cameron screwed up. He was such an egomaniac there was no consideration given to the vote going the wrong way. In line with his assurances to Scotland in the Independence vote the referendum result should have been subject to a majority in all countries of the UK.

Whatever the outcome, the United Kingdom has been killed off and it is a Disunited Kingdom that sails into the unknown.

A consultation gets under way next week on plans for a second Scottish independence referendum, the SNP's Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-37634338

It wasn't even the will of the English, 48% of the UK said remain. The UK doesn't have a proportional vote as in for eg Germany, it's the first past the post gets all even if it's only a 40% win, who cares about the split up among other parties that make up the other 60%.

bad for sterling bad for expats

If you take the common meaning of Expat (I.e. somebody who's posted abroad) the drop in sterling is a good thing. E.g. I was getting £1 for every s$2.1SGD now I'm getting £1 GBP for every s$1.69SGD, approx 20% pay rise.

But I have friends & family in the UK so far from feeling "I'm alright Jack" I'm concerned for how things are going to be for them when the price hikes due to cost of Imports kicks in so would more than welcome a return to the rates/£ we had before 24th June.

2 minutes ago, JB300 said:

If you take the traditional meaning of Expat (I.e. somebody who's posted abroad) the dropped in sterling is a good thing. E.g. I was getting £1 for every s$2.1SGD now I'm getting £1 GBP for every s$1.69SGD, approx 20% pay rise.

But I have friends & family in the UK so far from feeling "I'm alright Jack" I'm concerned for how things are going to be for them when the price hikes due to cost of Imports kicks in so would more than welcome a return to the rates/£ we had before 24th June.

Not all expats' salaries are based on local currency - I live much of the year in a very expensive ME country but my salary is fixed in GBP. Everything has become much more expensive of late.

58 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

This is the same kind of thing that was said about monetary easing when the USA led the way with that..  It would lead to inflation and in turn lead to a decline in the value of the dollar. How did that work out?  Right now, in the UK there is still a depression in demand.  That means that there is slack in the economy. A properly designed stimulus that helps those with lower incomes should boost demand and help the economy. A stronger economy ultimately means a stronger currency.

Not all expats' salaries are based on local currency - I live much of the year in a very expensive ME country but my salary is fixed in GBP. Everything has become much more expensive of late.

Not sure what line of work you're in but in mine (Finance IT) if you're posted overseas on £s you're usually on an International Assignment (accommodation, home travel, per diem expenses etc... All paid for) the benefits of which far outweigh what I've gained in fx rates.

But I wanted a local term contract (took a 30% pay cut to tax equalise but that was 8 years ago at 2.35SGD to the £1) so I wasn't constantly living 1 month away from being sent "home" (or worse!)

13 minutes ago, JB300 said:

Not sure what line of work you're in but in my (Finance) IT if you're posted overseas on £s you're usually on an International Assignment (accommodation, home travel, per diem expenses etc... All paid for) the benefits of which far outweigh what I've gained in fx rates.

But I wanted a local term contract (took a 30% pay cut to tax equalise but that was 8 years ago at 2.35SGD to the £1) so I wasn't constantly living 1 month away from being sent "home" (or worse!)

Sorry, I don't want to give the impression that I am now on poor street, but you get used to a certain income and it comes as a shock to see it suddenly drop by such a significant margin.

Personally, I am seconded from a UK oil company to their local entity so I am, effectively, resident here and salaried.

Edited by RuamRudy

1 hour ago, ilostmypassword said:

One good thing to come out of Brexit is that the Conservatives have abandoned their commitment to a balanced budget and are now engaged in increased deficit spending. It should have been done years ago but it is helping to sustain the UK economy.

Higher debt is a good thing, really! Only true if you believe that interest rates will remain low forever otherwise expect higher taxes to pay for it, that along with a shrunk economy/GDP should work out well for everyone don't you think!!!

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

If you are really as thin skinned as the above suggests, are you sure you should be exposing yourself so willingly to public discourse?

While I cannot be 100% certain of what Grouse found amusing, I suspect, like me, he chuckled not at the spelling mistake but at the context in which it was written. You handed it over on a silver platter then got uppity when someone took a bite. Grow up.

He's at it again: our grown up member with his 'do as I say, not as I do'.

They exhibit all the classic behaviour of a bully, Gravy, right down to the dummy-spitting and flouncing when someone stands up to them.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

Sorry it flew over your head.

Business is financed by investors and they expect a return on their investment, they are certainly not happy about the exchange rate.

It is irrelevant what the BOE and the IMF think, if shareholders do not get the return they expect they just dispose of the shares which can put the company concerned in trouble. Normal response is to shed jobs in an attempt to bring profits back to an acceptable level for shareholders.

You can expect to see foreign based business taking corrective action against the falling exchange rate. Those that work for them will be getting very nervous.

No, it didn't fly over my head, but thanks for the almost mandatory bit of childish remainer condescension.

I was hoping you could come up with some actual evidence to back up your claim. Instead, you carried on with the usual unsustantiated speculation.

Businesses and investors keep coming out and re-affirming their support for UK inc, after earlier falling for the scaremongering from Europhile economists and their supporters. All you lot have to back up your arguments are the same bunch of Europhile economists (with their hastily re-arranged doomsdays), and THE EXCHANGE RATE!!! (which no lesser bodies than the BOE and IMF view as good for the UK).

By the way, that Church of England analogy that you made in your other reply. Would it apply to a narrow remain victory, with the similar regionally imbalanced voting patterns?

Edited by Khun Han

32 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

You just showed that you haven't by replying again :biggrin:.

You started it (with a misread of one of my posts), and you want the last word. How sad is that?

I want the last word?

You really can't help yourself can you?

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

4 hours ago, JB300 said:

If you take the common meaning of Expat (I.e. somebody who's posted abroad) the drop in sterling is a good thing. E.g. I was getting £1 for every s$2.1SGD now I'm getting £1 GBP for every s$1.69SGD, approx 20% pay rise.

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

For the first time I forgot to state sterling-based expats (and within that mostly retired sterling expats), so my error. No doubt that UK nationals with any $-based assets and income are currently laughing all the way to the bank with relief. Reading above no doubt that SGD is doing well as is HKD which went from around 11.50 to now around 09.50

One other side-show re sterling is with regards to those UK expats who shifted sterling cash to AUD in order to get the better interest rates and were subsequently clobbered by the commodity-based Australian currency taking a dive. And subsequently stuck in a very dark place. They probably cannot believe their luck at Brexit chucking sterling under the train to rescue them. 'Oh thank, thank you, thank you' I can hear them chanting in the local Thai bars.

2 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

So The Dutch have lost the Marmite war: perhaps they thought better of it after reflecting on The Battle of the Kentish Knock.

I have sworn off stroopwaffles in protest.

Lovely memories of walking around the Amsterdam canals eating maatjesharing from a street stall and a nice beer in one of the brown bars. European trips a bit more pricey now in sterling.

13 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

So The Dutch have lost the Marmite war: perhaps they thought better of it after reflecting on The Battle of the Kentish Knock.

I have sworn off stroopwaffles in protest.

Your health will improve as a result (unless you acquire a taste for something like deep fried mars bars).

2 hours ago, Khun Han said:

He's at it again: our grown up member with his 'do as I say, not as I do'.

They exhibit all the classic behaviour of a bully, Gravy, right down to the dummy-spitting and flouncing when someone stands up to them.

Khun Han so very true. I will not be replying to these internet warriors ,who say they want a debate and then shout you down for your opinions. Bully is such an apt word. I have seen some posters on here whio i disagree with but put their arguments maturely across and I respect them. Others are certainly like children with the 'my dad is bigger than your dad' attitude. The thing is they believe they have some victory of some sort. The truth is the exact opposite. Good look trying to have a debate with some of these posters.

I will stick by that some of these posters have more than one account liking their posts from a different OP. How egotistacally sad.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

19 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Khun Han so very true. I will not be replying to these internet warriors ,who say they want a debate and then shout you down for your opinions. Bully is such an apt word. I have seen some posters on here whio i disagree with but put their arguments maturely across and I respect them. Others are certainly like children with the 'my dad is bigger than your dad' attitude. The thing is they believe they have some victory of some sort. The truth is the exact opposite. Good look trying to have a debate with some of these posters.

I will stick by that some of these posters have more than one account liking their posts from a different OP. How egotistacally sad.

I promise you I have a single TV account. However, I am omnipresent, omnipotent and type faster than the speed of light ?

Edited by Grouse

There has been a decline in the value of the £, that I think we can all agree on,how long will it last none of us know,some say 4/5 months others say 2/3 yrs 

what we should be asking is who is benefiting from this decline, and why and for what reason.