Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

1 hour ago, SgtRock said:

I think that you just have to look at the Greek fiasco to understand that under no circumstances would Greece be allowed to leave the euro.

Too scared of the domino effect, regardless of the financial cost

Yet it still might be Greece that starts the domino effect! they only got half of the amount from the latest bailout fund. 

Everyone has only really been looking at an in out result. There is a third way, not that I think it will happen, but with the threat of brexit, could the UK force reform on the rest of the EU? 

Brexit is the domino effect they do not want because it will lead to the breakup of the EU. The difference between Ireland or other EU states that voted out and were forced to vote again is that the UK is a net contributor of funds not a net receiver. They can only threaten a hard exit for fear of more states leaving.

Article 50 should have been declared by now. Until then no one is certain of any kind of brexit. In fact the longer it goes on the less likely there will be a Brexit or that is how it seems? 

At the very least the timing is wrong, at the very worst the government could be accused of gross incompetence on holding the referendum when they did. The damage is done in or out. And I am for brexit.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, SgtRock said:

The short answer is.

One of these so called EU Citizens can post a picture of their passport along with a picture of the issuing Authority.

EU citizens do not exist! my German pasport was issued by the German Embassy in Bangkok. My Swiss passport was issued in Geneva. my German passport shows on the front cover "European Union"  to facilitate travelling. arriving at any European country that ratified "Schengen" i walk through immigration just flashing my passport without handing it to somebody.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This is a discussion forum, get over yourself. We do not have present scientific facts and statistics all the time, opinions can count.

And by the same token opinions can be challenged when they contradict the facts. Just being a member of a forum doesn't give one the license to bloviate unchallenged.

3 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

If the EU had done it for the UK, then it would have to be done for everyone.  So no, the EU was not bullying the UK.

Not so,they did it for the euro. What they are now trying to achieve is to bully every country into a federal state. But what we are now witnessing is that the people ( as apposed to the so called elite) in most of the EU countries are saying enough is enough.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

The sheer bl**dy arrogance of that statement and the approach it reflects to people whose views don't mirror yours very probably  why a majority decided "to hell with the EU and those who wish to ram its edicts down our throat, let's leave!"

There's history here of course. No wants to ram anything down your throats but it would help if you credited us with just a little intelligence.

Lots of poster here have voiced optimism about the UK concluding a favorable free trade agreement with the EU.  They might want to reconsider in light of a place called Wallonia. It's a province of Belgium and it alone is holding up a free trade agreement between the EU and Canada. If Wallonia doesn't approve it by midnight tonight, the deal is off.  Now, if it's that hard for Canada to get a free trade agreement with the EU, will it be harder or easier for the UK to do so?

http://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-article-50-european-union-canada-trade-deal-wallonia-belgium-2016-10

2 hours ago, Naam said:

EU citizens do not exist! my German pasport was issued by the German Embassy in Bangkok. My Swiss passport was issued in Geneva. my German passport shows on the front cover "European Union"  to facilitate travelling. arriving at any European country that ratified "Schengen" i walk through immigration just flashing my passport without handing it to somebody.

Note the words German, issued at German Embassy in Bangkok

Note the words Swiss, issued in Geneva.

Nowhere is there a passport that says EU, issued in Luxembourg or Brussels.

Schengen has absolutely nothing to do with with your Nationality, it is a edict that allows you free movement throughout a zone as donated by your passport.

46 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Lots of poster here have voiced optimism about the UK concluding a favorable free trade agreement with the EU.  They might want to reconsider in light of a place called Wallonia. It's a province of Belgium and it alone is holding up a free trade agreement between the EU and Canada. If Wallonia doesn't approve it by midnight tonight, the deal is off.  Now, if it's that hard for Canada to get a free trade agreement with the EU, will it be harder or easier for the UK to do so?

http://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-article-50-european-union-canada-trade-deal-wallonia-belgium-2016-10

one of the huge EU shortcomings is giving dwarf states or in this case an entity veto powers also in important matters is plain rubbish. 

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

This is a discussion forum, get over yourself. We do not have present scientific facts and statistics all the time, opinions can count.

Of course opinions count - but sadly a lot of posters on this forum have no idea what an opinion is - it has to be the result of reasoned or rational thought. I certainly think that those asking for "proof or stats" are in fact  those with the least idea of how to construct and argument.

3 minutes ago, SgtRock said:

Note the words German, issued at German Embassy in Bangkok

Note the words Swiss, issued in Geneva.

Nowhere is there a passport that says EU, issued in Luxembourg or Brussels.

Schengen has absolutely nothing to do with with your Nationality, it is a edict that allows you free movement throughout a zone as donated by your passport.

Yes, it's just a figment of the imagination. Upheld by treaty but definitely not real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_European_Union

2 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Yet it still might be Greece that starts the domino effect! they only got half of the amount from the latest bailout fund. 

Everyone has only really been looking at an in out result. There is a third way, not that I think it will happen, but with the threat of brexit, could the UK force reform on the rest of the EU? 

Brexit is the domino effect they do not want because it will lead to the breakup of the EU. The difference between Ireland or other EU states that voted out and were forced to vote again is that the UK is a net contributor of funds not a net receiver. They can only threaten a hard exit for fear of more states leaving.

Article 50 should have been declared by now. Until then no one is certain of any kind of brexit. In fact the longer it goes on the less likely there will be a Brexit or that is how it seems? 

At the very least the timing is wrong, at the very worst the government could be accused of gross incompetence on holding the referendum when they did. The damage is done in or out. And I am for brexit.

Agree with you 100%

11 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I think that since May came to her senses, and also confirmed BoE independence, a floor at 1.22 has appeared. We shall see.....

i even expect GBPUSD as well as GBPEUR strengthening.

4 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Yes, it's just a figment of the imagination. Upheld by treaty but definitely not real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizenship_of_the_European_Union

I am not a lover of Wiki.

But from your link

The European Court of Justice has remarked that,

EU Citizenship is destined to be the fundamental status of nationals of the Member States[17]

When the EU morphs into an EU Superstate

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

Not so,they did it for the euro. What they are now trying to achieve is to bully every country into a federal state. But what we are now witnessing is that the people ( as apposed to the so called elite) in most of the EU countries are saying enough is enough.

Never mind Wallonia. Here we have a speech from a spokesman from the Republic of Freedonia.

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

So says the spokesperson for the twopenceapenny millionairs.

Oh dear NB, always sniping around the edges with one liners and kids cartoons yet never really engaging with anything of substance, a camp follower who does your supposed allegiance no favours whatsoever - why not try tackling the subject rather than the posters and/or, coming up with an argument of your own thinking, too hard perhaps!

Just now, nontabury said:

So says the spokesperson for the twopenceapenny millionairs.

I think the correct financial expression is tuppence ha'penny. In new money that would equal a tanner = 6d in old money. Not sure about the millionaire reference, though of course a newly minted sterling millionaire has now lost over a hundred grand converting to baht thanks to the referendum.

25 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Not sure about the millionaire reference, though of course a newly minted sterling millionaire has now lost over a hundred grand converting to baht thanks to the referendum.

It could also be said that a millionaire, would in fact lose nothing, he probably has the good sense not to convert to Thai Baht :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, SgtRock said:

It could also be said that a millionaire, would in fact lose nothing, he probably has the good sense not to convert to Thai Baht :thumbsup:

So.... you suggest that a person had good sense by not converting from GBP to THB a few months ago or sooner, hmmm, do you have any more words of wisdom or tips on this subject, not that I'm a contrarian or anything!

Archived