Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Pound drops to lowest level since 1985 

webfact

1 hour ago, chiang mai said:

I don't know and I don't care whether the articles are true or not, but I do know that your statements are wrong

The statement I put was from an article, so you don't care if its true or not. OK I see your direction. The grass is blue and you don't care. I have seen that you seem to attack certain posters on here. We possibly have different views.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

The statement I put was from an article, so you don't care if its true or not. OK I see your direction. The grass is blue and you don't care. I have seen that you seem to attack certain posters on here. We possibly have different views.

I don't know if the article is true or not and I really don't care, that is not the issue I posted about. I posted that YOUR statement regarding forum rules is wrong and I posted the rule (number 2) in post 1764 above  to show that the it is indeed against forum rules to post known false or misleading information. Why do I think this is important? Because people come here to obtain facts as well as opinions and when opinion is presented as fact, i.e. your statement where you've said you read the forum rules and it doesn't matter (you hadn't and it does), that is really inappropriate and doesn't help anyone except perhaps you.

Now you can keep going on about this and trying to red herring back to your article but I'm not biting, ditto you can keep, posting slurs and continue to see you posts deleted, again I really don't care. What might be good however is if you man up and simply said, oops, didn't know that, sorry I was wrong (or similar) and then everyone can move on.

7 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Perhaps the Germans I know here are of the Work Ethic era,but they want out too.Ive yet to meet here anyone apart from Lefty teacher types who favor the EU.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The Euro has been massively favorable to the Germans. In effect, it has subsidized their export industry at the expense of poorer Eurozone nations.

22 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Oh what a fine reply,but the returns to German Nationals is minimal the main beneficiary is an Immigrant ,or will that send you back to Denial Mode

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Such Ignorance.

"Germany Average Gross Monthly Earnings  1991-2016 | Data | Chart

Wages in Germany increased to 3695 EUR/Month in the second quarter of 2016 from 3655 EUR/Month in the first quarter of 2016. Wages in Germany averaged 3072.94 EUR/Month from 1991 until 2016, reaching an all time high of 3695 EUR/Month in the second quarter of 2016 and a record low of 1832 EUR/Month in the fourth quarter of 1991. Wages in Germany is reported by the Statistisches Bundesamt."

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/germany/wages

18 hours ago, Naam said:

based on the fact that Thailand is a member of ASEAN and based on your Thai friends laughter which indicates they have no idea about ASEAN it is logical to assume that they either don't know what the EU stands for

Naam actually the majority of them have degrees, master degrees and PhD 's from west and have  a very good grip, on understandings and politics of the EU and the UK. One is actually in politics here. Once again they do laugh at the fact, that the UK allows someone people who are not British, in another country to make laws and rules and enforce them on the British people. They have said they would never want that on Thailand and I wholeheartedly agree and it is that very concept, that the pro EU don't seem to understand.

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Naam actually the majority of them have degrees, master degrees and PhD 's from west and have  a very good grip, on understandings and politics of the EU and the UK. One is actually in politics here. Once again they do laugh at the fact, that the UK allows someone people who are not British, in another country to make laws and rules and enforce them on the British people. They have said they would never want that on Thailand and I wholeheartedly agree and it is that very concept, that the pro EU don't seem to understand.

For someone with some very intellectually gifted friends, you seem to be the odd one out because you are struggling to come to grips with something that some of other posters have been at pains to point out to you repeatedly in this thread. Not agreeing with your point of view does not equate to a failure on their part to understand the nuances of the situation. Rather, they see a dialectic that your over-exposure to the Daily Express seems to have blinded you to.

1 minute ago, RuamRudy said:

For someone with some very intellectually gifted friends, you seem to be the odd one out because you are struggling to come to grips with something that some of other posters have been at pains to point out to you repeatedly in this thread. Not agreeing with your point of view does not equate to a failure on their part to understand the nuances of the situation. Rather, they see a dialectic that your over-exposure to the Daily Express seems to have blinded you to.

What a tremendous argument you have just put. Give yourself a pat on the back. Not one reply to the post rather having a go at me for reading the Daily Express. I actually read the Times also but you have to sign up and pay so posting the links is of little value. If you actually come up with something about that argument then I might respond, in a more positive way.

15 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What a tremendous argument you have just put. Give yourself a pat on the back. Not one reply to the post rather having a go at me for reading the Daily Express. I actually read the Times also but you have to sign up and pay so posting the links is of little value. If you actually come up with something about that argument then I might respond, in a more positive way.

What have I argued against? There have been umpteen challenges to your posts throughout this thread, from people with a far greater grasp of the intricacies of global economics than I could ever claim to have, so I am learning as the thread progresses.  However, despite almost 1800 posts to and fro, you still fall back to your default position, being that those who do not agree with you must fail to understand the basics.

20 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That was funny, so which basic facts on Earth am I unfamiliar with? Please elaborate. I am all ears.

Here's one: that when posters are caught telling lies and refuse to admit it was so, their credibility drops to near zero and other posters soon realize that person has no integrity  whatsoever and can't be trusted, ergo everything they say after that point will automatically be suspicious and may never be believed at all - the chances of them ever winning any argument are close to zero.

10 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What have I argued against? There have been umpteen challenges to your posts throughout this thread, from people with a far greater grasp of the intricacies of global economics than I could ever claim to have, so I am learning as the thread progresses.  However, despite almost 1800 posts to and fro, you still fall back to your default position, being that those who do not agree with you must fail to understand the basics.

Once again referring to the argument regarding  my Thai friends and their take on the EU. Still you haven't. Where have I ever said that if you do not agree with me 'you fail to understand the basics'. Again I am all ears and look forward to you showing me.

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So where do you get your European passport from?

Are you serious? Take a look at your passport. At the top it has "European Union". But bear in mind that if you have a British passport and you are Scottish, Welsh or English, there is no mention of that ... only U.K. Of GB and NI.

To my point, it makes no difference. Some Scots don't identify as British, but technically they are, as they were born in the British Isles. Some people from Cornwall don't identify as English. Whether the UK is in the EU or not, the country is not moving to the coast of the US. It is still a country in a geographical region called Europe ... and that doesn't change whether you identify as European or not. If you are born in the U.K., you are from Europe, whether you like it or not.

12 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Here's one: that when posters are caught telling lies and refuse to admit it was so, their credibility drops to near zero

Where was I telling lies? Are you reading the same thread. I did not say the words I clearly pointed out that someone did. There is a discrepancy of who said the actual words but they were said. Where is the lie?

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Where was I telling lies? Are you reading the same thread. I did not say the words I clearly pointed out that someone did. There is a discrepancy of who said the actual words but they were said. Where is the lie?

Your quote in your now deleted post, the one that still appears in my post 1764, the one you've been challenged on three times this morning, the one you refuse to acknowledge - that one.

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Are you serious? Take a look at your passport. At the top it has "European Union". But bear in mind that if you have a British passport and you are Scottish, Welsh or English, there is no mention of that ... only U.K. Of GB and NI.

To my point, it makes no difference. Some Scots don't identify as British, but technically they are, as they were born in the British Isles. Some people from Cornwall don't identify as English. Whether the UK is in the EU or not, the country is not moving to the coast of the US. It is still a country in a geographical region called Europe ... and that doesn't change whether you identify as European or not. If you are born in the U.K., you are from Europe, whether you like it or not.

The whole argument started when a poster said they were European and not British or whatever country they came from. I would never call myself European as I do not  see myself as one and never will. If you do well that is your choice. The point is my national identity is not European. I am British. So will agree with me some won't obviously see themselves as European. As I said tongue in cheek, where is your European passport. As you know there isn't one and when we are out of the EU passports  will have the European Union taken off and go back to blue. I am looking forward to flying into the UK and having our very own UK line and not EU one.

6 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Your quote in your now deleted post, the one that still appears in my post 1764, the one you've been challenged on three times this morning, the one you refuse to acknowledge - that one.

Once again the quote was said by someone. Was is questioned is who said it. What are you getting your knickers in a twist for.

The earth is flat, that might be a lie but someone besides me has said it.

The last time I am replying on this subject

Just now, Laughing Gravy said:

Once again the quote was said by someone. Was is questioned is who said it. What are you getting your knickers in a twist for.

The earth is flat, that might be a lie but someone besides me has said it.

The part about forum rules and it being OK to post things that aren't true was posted by YOU.

48 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You're analogy just gets worse. One of your friends is in politics? He's a military man then, as there are no elected politicians in Thailand. 

The rules and regulations in Thailand are imposed on the Thai people by other Thais that no one in Thailand voted for. The majority of laws in the U.K. are drawn up by elected representatives, and we participate in the European Parliament through our elected representatives.

When the Euro was introduced why was the UK not forced to accept it? If our laws are imposed on us by Europe why are we not in the Euro? Because we decided not to. Who determines our income and corporate taxes? We do. If our rules are imposed by Europe how can this be so? British people determine their own rules and regulations more than any Thai person, today and in the past. Today Thais have no say at all in government, the country is not a democracy.

4 minutes ago, i claudius said:

If people want to be European ,well up to them , me i am British . I was once married to an Italian girl , she thought of herself as Italian , not European

Italian unification was not so long ago ... there are no doubt some Italians who don't identify with Italy, only their home State.

Archived