Living in Thailand without a Uni Degree, can it be done ?

Bonobojt

10 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Lol I will give you one for that as that actually made me snigger which is a rarity. You know the score so give your knees and thumbs a rest for the day and try to squint a bit harder so you can actually read the posts a bit more carefully in future. I must say I'm impressed you have turned a corner your not so much a one line warrior of late and a degree in BS is a new one and I'm sure you got a masters in it too.

I don't need to read more carefully - I understood exactly what you meant by 'Mickey Mouse' degrees. I just think you're wrong. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Err no, if you are earning a living as a direct result of your degree then I do not think that can be regarded as mickey mouse. But on the same note you stating you had an unbelievable degree in your previous post where no one would believe you. That statement erred towards you not having a MM but now your certain if you did disclose said degree it would be regarded as MM. 

Listen stop making this a different topic this is about a guy who himself does not favour uni education due to his own admissions and concerns and the truth is my academical acquaintance that a uni education is simply not the only pathway to a rewarding career it is an option and one that has become so diverse and widespread that employers are looking  beyond that and a very popular method is now taking place where a student takes a year out during 2nd year and gains applicable experience related to their degree as a means of providing a gilted edge to their CV. 

Degree v Real life experiences. I think the answer is obvious and to the other academic that piped up  yes it shows you committed to a degree and yes your correct 18 is way too young for many to make decisions about ones career path. So staying in education for the purpose of committing to something whilst you are unsure of your career choice is regarded by employers as a plus. I guess it is I guess it shows you tow the line and you will not be any issue and you can knuckle down whilst you have no clue what to do and your parents advice had nothing to do with it or evenue their wrath. Safe bet perhaps. I like the more riskier options myself you know like going it alone, creating your own career that kind of thing so maybe that is why I opted not to go to a lesser known redbrick in Staffordshire but more likely i just did not fancy studying books at that stage in my life. No one's saying degrees are not worthwhile and what do studies suggest which not many individuals have the balls to admit?

44% of degree holders wished they had attained a more vocational or hands on degree which would directly benefit them for their future employment. 

An academic education v vocational experience tenacity and common sense. Easy win for vocation for the most part.

That's my opinion and btw I got something called NVQ level 6 in management and leadership I think I may have ran out of toilet roll once and used it as loo paper, I can't remember.

Your degree obviously did not teach you to spell.  ;-)

adjective

2. gilded.

Edited by muzmurray

To the OP:

There are bachelor degree programs (including a BA in English) at several Thai universities.

I'm familiar with a 'BA English', conducted in English language, at one uni, the lectures are mostly week-ends and evenings, total time 18 months. Fully accredited degree program.

Obviously the core subjects are about the English language plus there are several compulsory basic business courses and a few other electives. There is no focus at all on teaching English.

Classes are generally around 18 to 24 students. Most of the students are Western, plus a few Thai and a few Burmese, an occasional Iranian, etc. 

If you want more details please PM to me.

Good luck 

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

To the OP:

There are bachelor degree programs (including a BA in English) at several Thai universities.

I'm familiar with a 'BA English', conducted in English language, at one uni, the lectures are mostly week-ends and evenings, total time 18 months. Fully accredited degree program.

Obviously the core subjects are about the English language plus there are several compulsory basic business courses and a few other electives. There is no focus at all on teaching English.

Classes are generally around 18 to 24 students. Most of the students are Western, plus a few Thai and a few Burmese, an occasional Iranian, etc. 

If you want more details please PM to me.

Good luck 

How can a part-time course be so short ?

forget it,  keep dreaming it is no more than a dream it will never come to reality .  you are average jo from uk  ( your words not mine )   tough talking here but what  to hell can you do that a thai cannot do ?  what ar your skills etc ? 

if you want to make it a reality go get some kind of skills in uk over next few years,  such as a TEFLA or CELTA....train to be a chef or learn about real estate or some business,  work toward your goal .  but it will take years , can be done im not knocking you but the odds are definately against you big time

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

How can a part-time course be so short ?

Many universities in many countries offer intensive / very intensive study programs, all properly accredited.

Today many Thai universities have formal exchange agreements with universities abroad, including intensive programs, many are with prestigious German universities, all fully accepted / accredited in the German system. 

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 6:34 PM, khunpa said:

the main and only key to surviving long-term in Thailand as a foreigner is MONEY. You run out of that and your time is up.

And on planet Earth for that matter.   

11 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Maybe you should Google it first?

Fairly new? If you consider at least 29 years ago "fairly new".

"Marine slang meaning anything stupid or senseless (as used in the 1987 Stanley Kubrick film Full Metal Jacket)"

"

Full Definition of Mickey Mouse

1:  too easy, small, ineffective, or unimportant to be taken seriously <Mickey Mouse courses><a Mickey Mouse operation>"

No mention there of it relating to any course that was not later referred back to.

Thanks for that and yes it's fairly new thanks and if you take into account the demographics of this website with a majority being 50+ I thought perhaps the chap may have got his degree at a time when degree courses were not so diverse as they are of late. 

11 hours ago, muzmurray said:

Your degree obviously did not teach you to spell.  ;-)

adjective

2. gilded.

Thanks Murray you are one of those ok. Nothing of note to say so you pluck a spelling mistake up and proudly publish your findings. Well done man. Have a beer good job. I feel it is a compliment. Thanks and you have taught me something I always thought it was gilted as in a gilted edge but yes you are correct it is gilded so thanks you have taught me something. 

On 4/10/2559 at 7:08 PM, Bonobojt said:

http://www.accessenglish.org/teaching-english-in-thailand-without-a-degree/

apparently 80% of English Teachers in Thailand are teaching without a degree , if the thai government tried to get rid of them all it would cause problems, according to this link..... 

Wishful thinking, personal opinion, is a great source of official policy, is it not....

As one of the great unwashed...

I came here in 98 as a contractor...

Took a job as a regional director based in Bangkok after that.

Quit that after a few years and after 3 months looking became a subidiary of a foreign MNC here.

I now run my own business.

At no point has the fact that I finished school at 18 been a problem.

Then again I did come with experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/14/2016 at 0:28 PM, HooHaa said:

What exactly is a lack of officiousness?

I do love watching the blind lead the blind.

Yes Vietnam is getting 'tougher' or put it another way 'more professional'.

I'm aware of a yank who ran a mickey mouse English language school for years in HCMC, totally unprofessional from every aspect, a rip-off in terms of cost/benefit for the paying students. He was recently audited in terms of appropriate learning outcomes to paying customers, the result was so bad his school was closed instantly and he's now barred from any work related to education. 

Be aware that more and more Vietnam is getting advice on many aspects of gov't based schools / education, pvt., schools, international schools, universities, commercial language academies etc., from the Singapore Ministry of Education. The VN education folks see Singapore as their ultimate role model and they listen and are not frightened to quickly plan and implement big / serious changes to achieve their ultimate goals. 

Edited by scorecard

On 10/4/2016 at 6:42 AM, Bonobojt said:

so basically I have to win the lottery if I ever want to live in Thailand ..

Thai girls are very silly and think all foreigners, even if you tell them otherwise, are rich.

As soon as they find out you cannot afford a house, car, other luxuries they want, you will be tossed to the curb

Thai girls expect to hit the lottery with a foreigner

You cannot buy cars, houses, land, gold, Iphones with good looks

Bound to fail

In a choice over love or money, most will chose a man with money that an support her needs

On 10/14/2016 at 5:19 PM, rgs2001uk said:

Wow, a blast from the past, I remember you.

I hope you have turned your life around, you were a top poster.

Still got your red hair?

The border runners are a thing of the past, and contary to popular beliefs held here, Thailand didnt implode when they left.

Ha! I'm glad I'm remembered! I'm still rocking the red/ginger hair! Glad you also thought I was a top poster! :D I should probably come on here more often but I'm super busy working and paying off a mortgage in the UK. Not sure about turning my life around?! But yeah I had to come back to the UK as my kidney failed and I needed to start immediate dialysis. Had a transplant in 2014 and now I'm trying to be a normal adult and get my life back on track etc. Still miss Thailand immensely! It will always be a place close to my heart! 

Hope you're well! 

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Thai girls are very silly and think all foreigners, even if you tell them otherwise, are rich.

As soon as they find out you cannot afford a house, car, other luxuries they want, you will be tossed to the curb

Bound to fail

In a choice over love or money, most will chose a man with money that an support her needs

And foreigners are equally silly falling for "Thai girls" only to find out they are real women with expectations.

Who knew?

10 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Bound to fail

Guess I'm lucky then. But then again I'm not a 50-60+ year old man trying to date a girl in her 20's, in that situation it's obvious she isn't with you for love. 

20 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Bound to fail

Wrong. I have no money yet found a Thai girl who loves me for who I am and is happy in her first job here living with me in New Zealand. We save hard and spend about 5 months a year in Thailand.

23 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Bound to fail

rofl.. I remember having a conversation with my Thai gf about this exact thing.  We were discussing marriage and I said to her "you know I've got no money?"

Her reply was "that's ok, we can be poor together"..

Been together 7 years and getting married next month.  

There are superficial people in every culture.  I consider myself extremely blessed to have ended up with someone who isn't one of them.