Pratunam area cleared of vendors

snoop1130

Pratunam area cleared of vendors

e10af0a7d08ce8a35b16e6128d01c059-wpcf_728x409.jpg

Bangkok’s pedestrians have won back the pavements on Ratchaprarop and Petchaburi roads in Pratunam area on Tuesday after vendors reluctantly vacated the pavements in wake of the City Administration’s no-nonsense crackdown on violators.

The pavements, which, for decades, were almost fully occupied by vendors, are virtually cleared of vendors since Tuesday morning. City police were in full force since the morning to make sure that no vendors showed up in defiance of the eviction order which came into effect on Monday.

Ratchathevi district officer Chatri Wattanakachorn said that the city administration had given a reprieve to the vendors for quite a long time and, how, it is about time that they move out to return the pavements to pedestrians.

He said that the district office had arranged for spaces in Soi Ratchaprarop 2 and 4 for vendors to carry on with their trading business. More spaces are being sought to accommodate the evicted vendors, he added.

The eviction of vendors from pavements in the Pratunam area is the latest of the City Administration’s efforts to set a new order for the use of pavements and to beautify the city’s landscape.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pratunam-area-cleared-vendors/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-04

What is that strange thing in the pohot. 

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

... said that the city administration had given a reprieve to the vendors for quite a long time ...

They're sooooo nice. :rolleyes:

Actually it's a bit sad....Bangkok is slowly turning into a "Singaporean" sterility.....Nostalgically remembering my shopping tours in that area and navigating the stalls with head bent down (Could never understand why  the vendors, over the course of 20 years, never figured out that by elevating their umbrellas about 10-20 cm higher the farang customers could actually walk there comfortably without bending down all the time).

Sorry BORING ........

OK , it might have been overkill  with too many sellers right around the corner area , but why not just have them on one side of the walkway and not both sides ?

I am sorry to see all these places "cleaned up" , are there any numbers of how many more visitors they are getting ????

The street markets were the draw for many Thais  and  a few tourists , but mostly Thais when I was there....

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Actually it's a bit sad....Bangkok is slowly turning into a "Singaporean" sterility.....Nostalgically remembering my shopping tours in that area and navigating the stalls with head bent down (Could never understand why  the vendors, over the course of 20 years, never figured out that by elevating their umbrellas about 10-20 cm higher the farang customers could actually walk there comfortably without bending down all the time).

it certainly is NOT turning into a SG sterility.

In front of the suburbian housing estate where I lived for four years, the number of food stalls and vendors has tripled over those years, and is becoming a nuisance to almost everyone walking around

22 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

If you walk down that street you will still be able to buy things from the shophouses all along the road.  Also, if go down one of the alleyways between the shophouses you will see a maze of little shops and stalls, perhaps the turfed out vendors can set up shop there and if people want to go shopping they can go there too.  If people want to just walk on the pavement they can do that now too, everyone can get what they want.

It is just a case of moving nuisance stalls to areas where there is reasonable room to accommodate them, and I am all for it.