Bus crash leaves one dead and over 50 injured in Sa Kaeo

webfact

Bus crash leaves one dead and over 50 injured in Sakaew

88ff2493fdf5662f665032957f71dab4-wpcf_72

BANGKOK: -- An interprovincial bus from Rayong flipped over on the highway in Srakaew province before dawn today killing one passenger and injuring 50 others.

The bus was ferrying 55 passengers from Rayong to Mukdaharn.

According to Srakaew police, the incident happened while it was raining.

The driver identified only as Sommai, 48, put brake on the bus while it was approaching a curve.

The bus skidded and he then swerved and hit the divider on the road.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bus-crash-leaves-one-dead-50-injured-srakaew/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-10-05

Yellow Bus service. Don't know their track record but I have taken this company bus several times in the past 5 years or so. At least a dozen times so far and never had a problem. Pattaya to Yasothon, Roi Et and Mukdahhan.

Felt about 80% safe with a 20% thinking 'slow down, slow down' but I had the same feeling with other bus companies as well...

Rain again has been the cause of this accident. I have been in Thai buses on many occasions when rain is encountered (torrential and otherwise) and I stupidly expect some downward re-adjustment to the speed. But no, they just plow on at the same high speed like it is a bright sunshiny day.

Then when there is an accident it is shock and horror and the pathetic "not my fault - it was the rain's fault" excuses start.

40 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

Rain again has been the cause of this accident. I have been in Thai buses on many occasions when rain is encountered (torrential and otherwise) and I stupidly expect some downward re-adjustment to the speed. But no, they just plow on at the same high speed like it is a bright sunshiny day.

Then when there is an accident it is shock and horror and the pathetic "not my fault - it was the rain's fault" excuses start.

I once drove on 304 highway towards Chachoengsao and heavy rain started, I slowed down while all other trucks and cars kept on going with wild speeds, overtaking me. Rain was of the type you can see about 30 meters. A few kilometers down the road I passed those same vehicles all piled up in one massive pile up, like 15 cars or so in a serial crash, one pickup was resting with the front wheels on top of a sedan roof, I looked at the stupid look of the driver "huh! how did this happen??".....

But I think Thai drivers has gotten better nowadays when it comes to rain, most actually slow down when it starts raining now, as opposed to that time, like 15 years ago or so.

Edited by AlQaholic

11 minutes ago, Borzandy said:

Today, It was a funny day and a funny accident, look at all the persons laughing in the picture.

They're happy because a bus has crashed, lying on its side and there's only one fatality and  the driver is still around.

They are laughing because he blamed the rain.

1 bus 55 passengers and presumably 2 crew. = 57

1 dead and 50 injured =51. And the other 6?

Another avoidable tragedy!
Regardless of why it happened, so many lives have been disrupted by this event.

I feel very sorry for the relatives of the one who lost their life, but they will get over it in time.

However, customers who lose limbs or suffer terrible scarring will have to live with that forever, not to mention the unexpected cost of medical treatment.

French motorways have a maximum speed of 130Kmph which is reduced to 120Kmph in the rain.

Thailand could consider this and introduce a speed reduction for when it rains?

At least it would be a small step forward.

7 minutes ago, DoctorG said:

Anyone know the seating capacity of that bus. 55 seems like a lot for a bus, but I have rarely been in a Thai bus.

If it;s a low cost (non "VIP") bus it can easily take 55 passengers.

From the pictures it's not clear if it even was one of those terrifying double-deckers which could be blown off the road by a storm.

Just in case someone wants to lookup a map :wink:

Sakaew / Srakaew = Sa Kaeo (province).

(the TV mod did a good job for the thread title :thumbsup:)

It's on the that eastern path up to the Korat plateau (Isan).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa_Kaeo_Province

Edited by KhunBENQ

54 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

They're happy because a bus has crashed, lying on its side and there's only one fatality and  the driver is still around.

Yellow Bus service is a crew of 4. But your math is still correct, there is somebody(ies) missing.

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Brakes again,maybe the buses will be safer without them:facepalm:,

going too fast,in the rain,approaches a bend in 4th or 5 th

gear,brakes hard,happens too often.

regards worgeordie

Here we go again, all the assumptions from those who know nothing about the reason.

3 hours ago, Deserted said:

Where its being reported from probably.

So another bus drives too fast and crashes....

So you never put the brakes on when you approach a bend.Give me a break,some of you blokes would whinge if you won a million in the lottery,should have been two.

1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Doh,i guess they are not injured,only a guess though.

I have said it before and I will say it again do not let your nearest and dearest go on these massive fast long distance  buses especially in wet weather overnight. Take them in your car instead. Avoid the crazy minibuses too. Think is this how I would send kids no seat belts, drivers on what ever that thinhg which keeps you going  ..if not aviod

13 minutes ago, peter48 said:

I have said it before and I will say it again do not let your nearest and dearest go on these massive fast long distance  buses especially in wet weather overnight. Take them in your car instead. Avoid the crazy minibuses too. Think is this how I would send kids no seat belts, drivers on what ever that thinhg which keeps you going  ..if not aviod

Excellent, but only for those who have a car!

This is the only way of travel for many of the masses, including many an older farang!

Edited by laislica
spelling