Thai unemployment benefits

My sister in law self employed got about 2000+ baht one time for so many months off my wife got it sorted for her,  I didn't know it existed and my wife just said it isn't worth the hassle. 

I guess it would for some though.

Civil servants get a "proper" pension when they retire. I'll be living off of my wife's when I'm old:) I'm not sure if there are any other funds, unless one sets it up themselves. I have my own and I pay into that every year. 

Way back when my wife left her work of 14+ years I think she got 4 or 6 months.....It was only about 25-40%, if that, of what she'd earned per month....As I recall she had to reconfirm or supply paperwork every month.... 

I believe it had a waiting period + was shorter in duration because she gave notice.....

With all due respect, I think you guys have skipped out to la la land!

There is a link between employment and the social security system in respect of health care and pensions but that's it as far as I know. I've never ever heard word one on this before this thread.

32 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

There is a link between employment and the social security system in respect of health care and pensions but that's it as far as I know. I've never ever heard word one on this before this thread.

Please see : http://www.expatfocus.com/expatriate-thailand-social-security

Unemployment benefits are covered by the social insurance fund and each worker will contribute 0.5% from their salary which is matched by the employer and added to with 0.25% donated by the Thai government

http://www.sso.go.th/wpr/category.jsp?lang=th&cat=874

กรณีถูกเลิกจ้าง = lose your job

Can get money no more than 180 days per year, get 50% of average salary. Minimum salary base 1,650 and maximum 15,000. Sample is clear: salary base 10,000 and he got 50% = 5,000.

กรณีลาออกหรือสิ้นสุดสัญญาจ้างตามกำหนดระยะเวลา = If you resign or end contract as expected

Max 90 days at 30% of salary. Salary base is the same. Sample is salary base 10,000 and he got 30% = 3,000.

I am sooo slow reading Thai...  but proud that I can, even if it takes ages :smile: 

10 hours ago, chiang mai said:

Then you know very little, and may well have lost out on money that you could have claimed.

24 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Then you know very little, and may well have lost out on money that you could have claimed.

I'm not Thai and I've never held a work permit hence I have lost nothing!

And in reading the article provided earlier (thanks) I realize I am aware of most of it but was not aware of the unemployment section and there's good reason for this, read the following and learn:

"Self employed workers cannot be covered by this benefit. In order to claim this benefit a person needs to have made at least 6 month’s worth of contributions in the preceding 15 months. In order to claim it is essential to be registered with the Government Employment Service and be willing to take on any suitable work. If the worker has been sacked then they may not be eligible for this benefit, but the social security system looks carefully at each individual case. This benefit is also calculated in the same way that the disability, sickness and maternity benefits are but will only be paid out after at least 8 days of unemployment".

It is quite hard to qualify for the unemployment benefit because of all the conditions that are attached. And whilst we do pay 432 baht a month voluntary contributions to the government for Mrs CM (a Thai citizen) it is not envisaged that she would ever collect unemployment benefits nor would she likely qualify, mostly that is because there is an obligation on the part of the claimant to accept any job offered and if declined, unemployment benefits are not paid.

30 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

I'm not Thai and I've never held a work permit hence I have lost nothing!

And in reading the article provided earlier (thanks) I realize I am aware of most of it but was not aware of the unemployment section and there's good reason for this, read the following and learn:

"Self employed workers cannot be covered by this benefit. In order to claim this benefit a person needs to have made at least 6 month’s worth of contributions in the preceding 15 months. In order to claim it is essential to be registered with the Government Employment Service and be willing to take on any suitable work. If the worker has been sacked then they may not be eligible for this benefit, but the social security system looks carefully at each individual case. This benefit is also calculated in the same way that the disability, sickness and maternity benefits are but will only be paid out after at least 8 days of unemployment".

It is quite hard to qualify for the unemployment benefit because of all the conditions that are attached. And whilst we do pay 432 baht a month voluntary contributions to the government for Mrs CM (a Thai citizen) it is not envisaged that she would ever collect unemployment benefits nor would she likely qualify, mostly that is because there is an obligation on the part of the claimant to accept any job offered and if declined, unemployment benefits are not paid.

The 432 Baht that you are paying ONLY covers healthcare - nothing else.

4 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

The 432 Baht that you are paying ONLY covers healthcare - nothing else.

No itt's not:

"The social insurance system is for old age, disability and survivors. All those who are working between the ages of 15 and 60 can make contributions to this system. A worker will contribute 3% of their gross monthly earnings towards pensions and family benefits. If you want to make voluntary contributions you can contribute 9% of earnings up to 4,800 THB each month". = 432 baht.

39 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

No itt's not:

"The social insurance system is for old age, disability and survivors. All those who are working between the ages of 15 and 60 can make contributions to this system. A worker will contribute 3% of their gross monthly earnings towards pensions and family benefits. If you want to make voluntary contributions you can contribute 9% of earnings up to 4,800 THB each month". = 432 baht.

You are correct, it covers sickness, maternity, invalidity, death, child allowance and old age pension. Unemployment is what is not covered.

:-)

11 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

You are correct, it covers sickness, maternity, invalidity, death, child allowance and old age pension. Unemployment is what is not covered.

:-)

As indeed no self employed person is, regardless of whether they make voluntary contributions. It is a benefit (using the term very very loosely) that is effectively paid for by the employer. One wonders if, given that all applicants must be registered and must accept any job offered, if the statistics wouldn't show that in practise no more than a metaphoric handful of people are ever paid that benefit.

Archived