New-look licences

bluesofa

I did a search on TV, but couldn’t find any results.

I’ve just read in the BKK Post about the introduction of new-look licences made of plastic with a magnetic stripe which will be compatible with GPS, and is expected in the second quarter of next year.

Does anyone have any details about this new design, and particularly about compatibility with GPS? I’ve never owned or used a GPS, so wonder what this has to do with a driving licence?

46 minutes ago, BSJ said:

The government wants to know were you are now and where your likely to be in 10 minutes time....the other name for it is spying on the citizen's.  :rolleyes:

luckily i just renewed mine, so i will be spy free for 5 years; that's if i can work out how to ditch the trackable SIM card! :smile:

Hmm, I’m not sure if the answers so far are correct or cynical? I have no problem with cynicism, but I can’t imagine the real reason is for tracking general users?

As I said in my OP, I don’t have any experience of GPS, but I do have a technical background. Therefore trying to look at it logically, I’m guessing that GPS doesn’t need to upload any data to work, but reads two or more satellites to triangulate a location using them.

Assuming that, what’s the point of reading driving licence data? Perhaps it’s for some other tracking reason.

To be fair, in the same article it does mention the Department of Land Transport now requires all “public cars and tow trucks” to be registered and fitted with GPS before January. (I don’t think I’m allowed to post a link to the BKK Post.)

That could perhaps be a modified GPS unit with a card-reader, which could possibly track the user via the mobile network using SMS, data on 4G, or whatever.

So far, no-one has come back with any information about the new driving licence design, or if it’s even been made public yet?

18 minutes ago, patyh said:

In the Bangkok Post Article.. The last 2 paragraph mentions public vehicles and tow trucks. 

Oh, right.

It confused me when you mentioned the word “plates”. Being a Brit, we tend to use the word “registered” the same as it was used in the article. I thought for a moment you were referring to what we call “number plates”, as if it was perhaps a new category of number plate, specifically for the vehicles with GPS installed.

I was hoping it was maybe another article you’d seen, where I could find out more about the new design driving licence.

Thanks anyway.

19 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Oh, right.

It confused me when you mentioned the word “plates”. Being a Brit, we tend to use the word “registered” the same as it was used in the article. I thought for a moment you were referring to what we call “number plates”, as if it was perhaps a new category of number plate, specifically for the vehicles with GPS installed.

I was hoping it was maybe another article you’d seen, where I could find out more about the new design driving licence.

Thanks anyway.

I am confused by it as well.. As the article mentioned number plates being compatible with GPS or in another words, being fitted with GPS on the number plate.. 

Then again, English Media in Thailand aren't exactly known to be clear in the wordings they use..

14 minutes ago, patyh said:

I am confused by it as well.. As the article mentioned number plates being compatible with GPS or in another words, being fitted with GPS on the number plate.. 

Then again, English Media in Thailand aren't exactly known to be clear in the wordings they use..

I read that as stating new vehicles registered after January must have GPS installed. As in "registered" when the vehicle goes to the DLT to be issued with a new number plate.

It doesn't say anything about it being installed in the number plate or by the DLT. It just says after that date the vehilces must have GPS installed.

I wouldn't have thought the DLT would get involved in that, but I could be wrong. I'd assume it would be a private company who would install it, as it's now a requirement. There would be some tracking details per vehicle to be passed on to (perhaps) the DLT?

On 10/7/2016 at 3:34 PM, Ace of Pop said:

Could be usefull, Mrs leaves hers everywhere, this Handbag, that Car,, clueless....:stoner:

you could do with one of these - http://www.studylifestyle.com/2016/trackr/10/?cid=12&utm_term=dailymail-row&sxid=9ixhpejoyfh6

back to the driving licences, how will the strip work without a power supply

19 hours ago, steve187 said:

back to the driving licences, how will the strip work without a power supply

Assume you mean the magnetic strip on the back of the licence.

It must be the same idea as the old style credit cards. The modified GPS must have a card reader in which the licence is swiped.

Archived