Stay where you have registered - or face 4,000 baht fine, warns Immigration

webfact

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

No it's your obligation to report that you have changed your address: TM28 http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm28.doc

and the house owners are obligated to report that you are staying in their house: TM30 http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/tm30.doc

I have had problem with this in the past as both the rules and these forms states that they can be reported to the local police station if there is no nearby immigration but the police usually don't accept them and say that I must go to the designated immigration office with the reports, that's 200 km one way... I have 90 km to the closest immigration office but that is in the wrong province.

The "change of address" refers to your permanent address...not to visiting on a short-term basis.

7 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Immigration states that you can report the TM28 and/or TM30 to the police if there is no immigration office close by but more than 1 time the police has just refused to accept the forms and just told me that I must go to the designated immigration office... 200km away!

Now doesn't that make perfect sense?

Incredible someone could say that with a straight face.

6 hours ago, RedQualia said:

Needs clarification from several different standpoints, with regard to owner-occupiers. I have multiple homes, so of course, there's that. But even traveling to stay in a hotel somewhere is a bit confusing. General consensus among those dealing with this that I've talked to or seen discussions of here on TV seems to be that a new TM30 is only required when one leaves the country and returns, and they appear to be operating on that assumption. OK... I assume that the at least most of the various hotels will notify immigration when you're staying in their facilities. Does it then just somehow "default" to the TM30 one files on behalf of oneself? So then what if I go visit family out in the hinterlands for a few days? Notify immigration/local police department, or not? New TM30? Does it replace the previous TM30 in that case? Must I race around to submit yet another TM30 upon returning to my home? And/or, if I/we have to do all this, how about making the tools to do it all available online?

Ah yes, my decision to relocate to Philippines vindicated, what crap, God help us willl it never end ?

48 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I am Chiang Mai resident.

Earlier this year I had a month down in Pratchup Kiri Kan.

My 90 day was due so I went to local office and checked in no problem.

Back in CM for my next 90 day and whoa, B 800 fine.

I had failed to inform CM immigration on leaving CM.

There is a form for going to another province and another for returning, which must be filled in.

john

pathetic!

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Good point. I'd prefer that to needing to worry about reporting. We already know we're here at the mercy of immigration. 

dont be stupid, you know they would still require it probably with a photo too

47 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

No they will not, BUT that is not the problem as that is stated in the rules in the same way that it's stated in the Thai rules that you can extend a tourist visa at any checkpoint. So from your comment I assume that you are either a troll or have totally no clue what so ever about the Thai immigration laws!

I am just stating that immigration laws are a pain in the ass world wide, but must be adhered to.  I have not had any problems here myself other than a few inconveniences, like going to the immigration office when needed. Its not their fault you live 200 kilo's away, if the cops aren't going to help you then go in and get it taken care of. When I move into my new home I will drive to immigration to change my address there like I am supposed to do, simple and effective. Of course  I could stop at two or three police departments on the way and tell them it is their job and see what they said but I think not. Maybe you take this immigration stuff a little too seriously. Sorry I upset you.

48 minutes ago, rosst said:

Ah yes, my decision to relocate to Philippines vindicated, what crap, God help us willl it never end ?

Just as much, if not more crap, in the Philippines...that's why it's called the butt-hole of Asia.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya

Thailand a country with so many silly rules but the meantime nobody enforcing the basic ones like how to drive safely on roads, etc. Seriously they should do the same kind of stuff to thais when they live abroad to be fair.

8 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Some clear explanation from Immigration as to how (if at all) this applies to owner-occupiers would be nice. Of course clarity is not a strong point in Thailand.

Because they get lessons in to english from there own people, even in there own language, they understand each other, hardly.

1 minute ago, huahinjoe said:

Thailand a country with so many silly rules but the meantime nobody enforcing the basic ones like how to drive safely on roads, etc. Seriously they should do the same kind of stuff to thais when they live abroad to be fair.

If the rules are "silly," why do you want other countries to enforce them...shouldn't they set a better example to follow?

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

When I arrive home to Jomtien, am I supposed to immediately report my arrival to immigration?

Really?

Are condo owners REALLY doing that?

Are condo owners REALLY being fined for NOT doing that?

No this will not work , I think they only catch people that are living long term on a different address then they are registered with . So as long as you live in your condo , they will not punish you for having a weekend trip to Bangkok. If they did that we would have had 1000's of complaints already . 

7 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

Immigration states that you can report the TM28 and/or TM30 to the police if there is no immigration office close by but more than 1 time the police has just refused to accept the forms and just told me that I must go to the designated immigration office... 200km away!

In that case you'll need a stop half away, and have to report again. Fun!!

But to be honestley, the clerks in this world are only to make more rules, again and again, to keep themselve at work.

Thats all, as simple as that!

7 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

So, if I am registered at my current residence through my 90 day reports and I go to the beach for a weekend, do I have to re-report my return home???

This is absolute idiocy. :post-4641-1156693976:

You'll have to smile about all this stupide rules, its just not feasible what they want, keeping smiling in the LOS.

I was at my home on Sunday morning before riding the bike to Loei for Sunday night. Monday night I spent in Petchabun. Tuesday night I was in Sukhothai and Wednesday night back home.

Tomorrow I am heading to Chiang Mai to see friends for Friday and Saturday nights with friends.

How many visits to immigration do (i) I need to make and (ii) my wife need to make?

Guess I'll be checking into hotels with fake ID from now on.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It is not your job to inform the im if you move to hotel B, or C. That is the job of the individual hotels and if they get caught out THEY get fined.

If you intended moving into somewhere permanently, then you would be required to present a TM 28 to im. If you did not intend staying anywhere permanently, then you don't have to do anything, as they have your temporary address on file from the TM 30 the hotel gave them.

None of that counts if an im officer decides differently. They make it up here to suit themselves.

Yep...and that is the problem as they will still fine you even after you explain to them that you informed the hotel to register you with immigration...but they did not..so blame the foreigner first and fine them 4000 baht and afterwards they can try to fine the hotel owner...especially if the hotel owner or manager is a foreigner...while Thai owners and managers will be given leniency..as expected.

In the future each foreigner entering the country could be issued a swipe card that is swiped when checking into a hotel and checking out of a hotel that connects with a nation wide internet system while all hotels or accommodations catering to foreigners would have a swipe card system attached to the their internet computer system.

Not that I am encouraging the tracking of foreigners...but they could easily know where each tourist and traveler checked into and check out of and or where they have been in that swipe card manner.

When checking into a hotel or any accommodation you would provide your passport and the immigration issued swipe card and the card is swiped and you are now in the good graces of the Thai immigration authorities.

When leaving the country the card is returned or keep the card and it is considered null and void.

But then again people would or could corrupt that system somehow and someway and of course many would just throw the card away or say it was lost or stolen not wanting to be tracked...so to speak.

Thailand.....No way around the corruption as it is endemic, no matter what.

Cheers

This kind of rule exists in most countries (if not all) not only for immigrants but also for locals, important is that you live there or somebody at that adress can confirm it when you absent. The short trips elsewhere will be advised by the hotel guesthouse reception registretion. In any case I would avoid to stay in private homes during some visits, better to register at a small cheap hostel shared room nearby for 200 baht even if not sleeping there. In this way no hassel.

What is sure is that the "good guys" are always easy to be cought when a little mistake occourse. It's a big stress but better to stay focused on their logic and do things in a clever way. All over the world now there is tention and attention growing more and more and the police must show to the bosses that they work so they start from this kind of things that allows them to make also money cause they have to compensate the reduced income caused by the tourism decrease. And we all farangs have to be united and help each other whatever nationality we are in the same way thai people are united to control us, the police intentionaly and the normal people unintentionaly cause grown in a controled sistem since ages and don't realise it.

I feel that things are changing and getting close to certain old sistems used in the past comunist regimes and actualy very in use in European countries. Easy for them to think that all problems come from abroad and that farangs are poluating the local's minds and start a whitch hunt.....

1 hour ago, wigan said:

"FREE!"

does such a word exist in Thailand??

1 hour ago, wigan said:

"FREE!"

does such a word exist in Thailand??

Yes theer is.

The name Thailand means free land or free country.

I feel I have more freedom here in Thailand than I did or would in my home country of America.

For all of those who whine and complain about how difficult immigration is here in Thailand..

Try to get a visa for a foreginer to enter the U.S..

It cost me over $4000 usd to get a visa for my wife to enter America, and it took almost three years for approval.

Yes, that is three years after we were married!

Thailand is very easy and very inexpensive compared to that

If you haven't figure it out yet, yo do not have the right to live anywhere in the world you wish..no matter who you are, or where you are from, you must qualify and follow the regulations if you want to live here.

It is not really your personal playground...grow up!

Edited by willyumiii

5 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

I am going to travel 8km to my friends house tonight...we will drink far too many beers and I definitely will stay the night at his house to sober up and then travel back to my own apartment in the morning.

Does he need to fill out a TM30 and lodge it (where?) before we get too pissed.....and.......when I return to my apartment in the morning...do I need to get the one and only office/lobby person (who cannot understand or speak a word of English) to "sign" me back in by way of another TM30 form....????

How about checking up on  their own populations whereabouts......many more Thais "on the run"...or not residing at their homes addresses as per their ID card info......

This is just another money gathering exercise at the expense of foreigners

And all this things happens in the weekend, the immigration office was closed.

8 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

They have different "business" at the police station in Pattaya. Would you believe they never try to verify your ID when you pay a fine there... They wouldn't care who you are as long as you're paying.  

This looks like a new cash grab too... It would be obvious to sensible people that tourists and expats in Thailand may want to enjoy their time travelling, not staying at home and posting on Thaivisa.:D

2 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I am Chiang Mai resident.

Earlier this year I had a month down in Pratchup Kiri Kan.

My 90 day was due so I went to local office and checked in no problem.

Back in CM for my next 90 day and whoa, B 800 fine.

I had failed to inform CM immigration on leaving CM.

There is a form for going to another province and another for returning, which must be filled in.

john

I have heard of the check back in, but where is it mandatory to check out? If true, Thailand is truly defecating on all long timers. Land of Hogwash it is becoming.

The Immigration regulations state that if I move away from my registered address for more than 48 hour I am required to advise the Immigration Dept. or the Police.

On my planned two month driving tour from Surathani to Laos  and back I will expect to have 25 address changes and can not believe that the Thai "System" could ever manage these movements. 

How could they possibly keep daily changing records on hundreds of thousands of foreign visitors ? After all these people still use "carbon paper" to record copies of documents !

I also stay in a Bangkok hotel for a few day's each month and am aware that the hotel must report my presence, but Immigration still require me to report !