Stay where you have registered - or face 4,000 baht fine, warns Immigration

webfact

OK, just want to make sure that I am understanding this right.

I arrive back in Thailand to stay with my Thai wife, I have to fill in the form and then take it to the Immigration office.

When my father and his girlfriend come out we have to do the same.  Then we go somewhere else for a few days and the hotel informs their local immigration office.  Then we go back to our house and have to re-register again (3 people, me my father and his girlfriend) then we go to Bangkok for a day the hotel informs their local immigration office. Then we go back to our house and have to re-register for a third time that we are now back there.

This is what the Thai Immigration want us to do.

Seems very unnecessary this

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/10/2016 at 5:38 AM, KittenKong said:

Every foreigner is supposed to be registered via a TM30 form (or online) within 24 hours of arriving anywhere where he will be staying. This is in addition to whatever you put on your arrival form, or indeed in addition to anything you may report on a 90-day form.

If you go and stay somewhere else then you should be registered at the new address (even for one night) and then registered again at your usual address when you return to it.

The penalty for not registering is 1600B and it is the responsibility of the owner of the property (or his representative) to do this.

Hence my suggestion earlier in this thread that this needs clarifying for owner-occupiers who, in theory, are supposed to register themselves.

Do they also want to know what time we go to bed? Utterly pathetic!

57 minutes ago, elaxjt said:

I arrive back in Thailand to stay with my Thai wife, I have to fill in the form and then take it to the Immigration office.

When my father and his girlfriend come out we have to do the same.  Then we go somewhere else for a few days and the hotel informs their local immigration office.  Then we go back to our house and have to re-register again (3 people, me my father and his girlfriend) then we go to Bangkok for a day the hotel informs their local immigration office. Then we go back to our house and have to re-register for a third time that we are now back there.

OK ?

On 6 October 2016 at 7:27 AM, cncltd1973 said:

Still unclear how immigration finds them, if they aren't at their registered address and the homeowner hasn't registered them. Anyone know how?

Usually the person is found residing in the location where they are not registered. I would imagine it is a snitch who reports it or if there is a surprise "raid."

I am not sure why there is such a lot of noise about this registration issue. After all, many European countries have a registration system for ALL individuals, foreigner and locals. For instance, in Germany everyone is expected to register where they live (apartment or house). Failure to do so is illegal and punishable under the law. If you leave home and stay in a hotel, the hotel will definitely register you. Where the grey area is when you stay with your friend or relative - after a certain amount of time you would be expected to register with them but I think you are given at least some days grace period.

Vietnam also has a registration system - if friends stay with you (but are registered elsewhere), you are supposed to record it in a book and report it to the local block watch guard. That applies to everyone, locals and foreigners.

What I do not like about the Thai situation is that registration only applies to foreigners and it is inflexible. If registration is so good for security. lets apply it to everyone.

1 hour ago, happy Joe said:

OK ?

OK,

But would I not have to register at our home again (since I would be there for about 4 weeks) after leaving the hotel in Bangkok?

Earlier this year me and her indoors spent a month driving around Thailand, we covered nearly 5000 km and stayed at some lovely resorts along the way, I never told immigration that I had been out of our province and relied on the hotels and resorts to report our presence to local immigration. I did my 90 day reporting a couple of weeks ago at my usual office with no problem, in and out in a few minutes.

So I really think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup.

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Earlier this year me and her indoors spent a month driving around Thailand, we covered nearly 5000 km and stayed at some lovely resorts along the way, I never told immigration that I had been out of our province and relied on the hotels and resorts to report our presence to local immigration. I did my 90 day reporting a couple of weeks ago at my usual office with no problem, in and out in a few minutes.

So I really think it's a bit of a storm in a teacup.

Until you have the problem yourself. It's still a cloud over our heads, even if it doesn't always rain. Next time you go for a holiday you may have to deal with it when you return.

3 minutes ago, tropo said:

Until you have the problem yourself. It's still a cloud over our heads, even if it doesn't always rain. Next time you go for a holiday you may have to deal with it when you return.

I'll find out in January then, I'm taking the little lady to a small island to celebrate her big birthday, have to do my retirement & 90 day reporting early February :wink:

32 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

I'll find out in January then, I'm taking the little lady to a small island to celebrate her big birthday, have to do my retirement & 90 day reporting early February :wink:

There's probably a low chance of it happening to any of us, but it just means we have more things to consider now if we decide to travel.

Welcome to the reality of global control moneywise am from Canada and I could see my stay in this beautiful country will become very difficult since the required money guarantee is fading away with the value of the dollar.

Hopefully after The USA election for president there will be a lot of changes in the world and not towards internal conflict.

In the meantime enjoy every day in the land of smile.

14 minutes ago, mettech said:

Welcome to the reality of global control moneywise am from Canada and I could see my stay in this beautiful country will become very difficult since the required money guarantee is fading away with the value of the dollar.

Hopefully after The USA election for president there will be a lot of changes in the world and not towards internal conflict.

What a well thought out load of complete and total drivel. What it has to do with this thread is I'm sure crystal clear to the poster please feel free not to bother again.

16 minutes ago, mettech said:

You think you've got problems, this Brexit crap has knocked the stuffing out of the GBP, not good for my pensions or transferring money over here right now, gonna have to live on what I have in the bank and hope it turns around within 18 - 24 months :sad:

23 hours ago, NotMyUsualid said:

Eric,

You post almost made sense.

But the Thais coming to the UK don't leave. They disappear into the sex industry etc, and you likely know this.

I come to Thailand with a visa I have to apply in advance for, and I don't overstay.

So yeah, bring it on, I'll wait longer for my visa, and I pay the same for it too. Will YOUR people be going home anytime soon though? Or should I call UK Border Force on every massage parlour I can find in the city?

Meanwhile you can check me out too, make sure I'm following my visa rules. But I can save you the trouble and tell you I'm not up to anything whatsoever.

Oh, and you could look in your own backyard first. What are YOUR immigration doing hassling Thais leaving their own country to on holiday -  and asking them about their plans to return? I saw that first hand, and that sounds like a police state to me.

As for crappy jobs - the point is, protectionism never works. If we are denied the chance to do all jobs, then so should it be stuck on you also.

You forget, some of us have money, and after buying a villa etc, it might be nice to take some casual work, whilst searching out something better - but your government denies us that chance. And you cannot justify that whatsoever.

First of all not my government, I'm from the US.  Now you are talking about overstaying. There are hundreds of foreigners in Thailand that are on overstay. There millions of people on overstay of visas in the USA, same for the UK as your pointed out. So overstaying happens everywhere in the world. There are honest people like yourself that follow the rules and then there are people that will do what they want and not follow the rules. You are trying to make it look like Thailand is different from other countries, but in reality they are on par with other countries.  Thailand does not protect every job, I have lived and worked in Thailand for 20+ years and have had a work permit. I have plenty of friends living in Thailand for many years that all have work permits and working legally in Thailand. Every country wants to take care of their people first. Even if you want to go to the USA to work you have to have high qualifications and that the job being considered is not adversely effecting the local job market for a US citizen such as, you wont get a work visa for the USA for driving a truck or being a dishwasher.    Being questioned by immigration happens everywhere. I'm from the USA and I get questioned from time to time when I return to the USA. Asked where did I go, what do I do for work etc.  Lastly I dont believe that 100% of all Thai's coming to the UK dont leave, if that was the case nobody would get visas. Like I said overstaying happens everywhere.  If you want casual work look around, there are jobs. You can teach, IT, chef, Hotel industry, etc 

I think you are making a mistake. The immigration is giving fines to people who are resident in Thailand and not to tourists in my opinion. Someone for example registered their address and has been using it to do the 90 days reporting and has changed address (changed the home) but didn't care to use the new home's address to do the 90 days reporting. Of course if the immigration finds out this, they will fine the individual.

Is this TM30 form only for extensions or for every foreign person in Thailand?

I've done a search online and I can't see anything about Non-immigrant O visa holders needing to submit, unless they're on extensions.

Will my address submission on my Arrival card suffice?

On 10/6/2016 at 1:23 PM, transam said:

Went for an extension, they said if they came to our house it would have been 4000bht, we said been here years, always filled in address on forms and have a yellow book......800bht and a smile...Receipt given..

Yes all here are treated like children because those in control don't have a clue and don't talk to each other....Pisses me off when I think of Thai folk in the UK are taken care of in every way....

On 10/6/2016 at 1:28 PM, OMGImInPattaya said:

They must have it in for you  :ph34r:

Transom hits the nail squarely on the head, there is insufficient supervision in Immigration offices, rules vary from desk to desk, and the supervisory officer never interferes. A 'STANDARDS' task force is needed to travel round the country ensuring the published rules are fully adhered to, but not, supplemented, by local low-level officials.

On 6-10-2016 at 9:47 AM, HenryB said:

Stop Complaining we are guest in their country Fellow the their rules and be happy

Yes. 

For example: If I visit a friend, who ask me to take out my shoes before entering his home, I will do. If it bothers me, I stay away.

But most of all, I shall not complain about it, make jokes or offend his (stupid) rule on the internet.

It's not our country.

13 hours ago, Nokbkk said:

Yes. 

For example: If I visit a friend, who ask me to take out my shoes before entering his home, I will do. If it bothers me, I stay away.

But most of all, I shall not complain about it, make jokes or offend his (stupid) rule on the internet.

It's not our country.

Guests treated like criminals

On 07/10/2016 at 0:09 AM, balo said:

No , they can't stop expats from visiting friends or having weekend trips that only lasts a few days. However if you leave the country you need a re-entry stamp and if you do not report at immigration that would probably become a problem .

wrong

even if you just overnight at another province, you would have to be reported at that location. and then again when returning to your actual residence. the only thing is that many IO's do not enforce this as they are annoyed same as us. But we have read many posts here in those TM30 topics recently, that local IO's indeed ask you to undergo this disturbing procedure every time you leave your registered place

17 hours ago, stereolab said:

Transom hits the nail squarely on the head, there is insufficient supervision in Immigration offices, rules vary from desk to desk, and the supervisory officer never interferes. A 'STANDARDS' task force is needed to travel round the country ensuring the published rules are fully adhered to, but not, supplemented, by local low-level officials.

This will not happen, as it would significantly lower the monthly income of many underpaid immigration officers

18 hours ago, MaiDong said:

Is this TM30 form only for extensions or for every foreign person in Thailand?

I've done a search online and I can't see anything about Non-immigrant O visa holders needing to submit, unless they're on extensions.

Will my address submission on my Arrival card suffice?

I can't see anything about Non-immigrant O visa holders needing to submit

Why would you when it is not your job to submit it?

Have you read the thread, as it's been clearly pointed out several times it's the owner/ managers responsibility?

On 09/10/2016 at 1:52 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Please stop those that are working themselfs up into a frenzy about this just do as you normallydo and nothing will change. Hype and more hype. As far as Im aware the people who have been fined new what they were doing living somewhere else.

In Chiang Mai people seem to have been fined simply for not having submitted the form.

55 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

In Chiang Mai people seem to have been fined simply for not having submitted the form.

Yes they would but this 8s about living 8n a diffrent place than your registered at. If people haven't bothered registering then yes I guess they would be fined but that's diffrent from this thread

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Yes they would but this 8s about living 8n a diffrent place than your registered at. If people haven't bothered registering then yes I guess they would be fined but that's diffrent from this thread

I think that it's a fair bet that not even 1 in a 100 people who own their own condo or house, or live with a Thai partner in his/her condo or house, will have bothered to submit a TM30. In fact I think it's a fair bet that until recently hardly any of them even knew that they should do so.

I didnt. Hence my interest in this thread.

Archived