Stay where you have registered - or face 4,000 baht fine, warns Immigration

webfact

Should I be amazed about how many people are upset and complaining about a regulation they obviously have not made any effort to understand?

or should I just write it off to the fact that this it ThaiVisa, where the uninformed come to complain, just for the sake of complaining?

Maybe 10% of the posters here even know that if you stay in a hotel, you do nothing. It is the hotel's responsibility to report it.

Hint: That is why they ask for your passport!

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So once again, I know of checking back in your home, but where is it ever stated that you officially have to check out? I do not think that is true and I just checked back in Chiang Mai last week after a night in Bangkok. I would appreciate everyone who has experienced in this area. do hotels really check you out? I am under impression no, but hey do put a eta and etd. Fro our registered homes, I do not think this is true and is applied. .  

Just now, willyumiii said:

Should I be amazed about how many people are upset and complaining about a regulation they obviously have not made any effort to understand?

or should I just write it off to the fact that this it ThaiVisa, where the uninformed come to complain, just for the sake of complaining?

Maybe 10% of the posters here even know that if you stay in a hotel, you do nothing. It is the hotel's responsibility to report it.

Yes, but when they round up people, and the hotel/rental/etc is the one at fault, why are we being detained against our will? So basically they round up all these really "Bad Guys", you know the unsuspecting law-abiding visitors to the LOS, and treat them like criminals, nice!

2 minutes ago, willyumiii said:

Yes the hotel stay us an easy given. That one is on their shoulders, but there is a thin line if say you check into another hotel, they do not register you and then you return back home say 2 more days. You will be fined as late. I for one do not understand why you are not upset over being treated like you are on parole or a fifth class wanted for your money only cannot be a citizen. Uniformed is not correct. Staying with it is more like it.  

When we say we are aliens, and so are beginning to be treated like it as well. They want the foreign money, but want to stomp on the nice ones. Nice Guys out Bad guys in someone coined is so perfectly on spot. What us Thailand vying fro, top spot over North Korea? Unfortunately I am forced to comply what ever it will be as I love my family. But it really starts a void spot there for the powers that be. What a shame 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

When we say we are aliens, and so are beginning to be treated like it as well. They want the foreign money, but want to stomp on the nice ones. Nice Guys out Bad guys in someone coined is so perfectly on spot. What us Thailand vying fro, top spot over North Korea? Unfortunately I am forced to comply what ever it will be as I love my family. But it really starts a void spot there for the powers that be. What a shame 

I have to stay for 4 years, like it or not, then as I my mother said to me "You get my daughter-in-law and granddaughter back here safe". I don't exactly find Thailand to be a safe place to be, so my main concern is getting my family back to the states, SAFE! I worry about the lackluster driving skills, the lack of safety, the lack of clean water, the lack of adequate sanitation, the lack of security due to political in-fighting, etc.I'll be watching my back, and my families safety, trying to follow immigration laws to the "T", and then get us all back in one piece.

1 hour ago, willyumiii said:

My son and I got our teeth cleaned at Smile Dental in Ladprao last weekend.  I was quoted 1500b for each cleaning - cash of course - but it turned out to be 1800b for both of us.  

The lady behind the desk asked me for my passport.  I declined.  Do you think she was going to report me for the time I spent in the chair?

I am really not worried about it. Hundreds of thousands of expats living in Thailand, not to mention all the workers for neighborhood countries. We hear about a few problems like this now and then. Put it in perspective people. 

1 hour ago, naboo said:

I was at my home on Sunday morning before riding the bike to Loei for Sunday night. Monday night I spent in Petchabun. Tuesday night I was in Sukhothai and Wednesday night back home.

Tomorrow I am heading to Chiang Mai to see friends for Friday and Saturday nights with friends.

How many visits to immigration do (i) I need to make and (ii) my wife need to make?

Guess I'll be checking into hotels with fake ID from now on.

Your wife has to report you once.You do nothing.

My take on this quite simple tourist on holiday is out of this equation as they are booked into hotel's guest houses BAND B so they will be fine.

Longer term stayers 90 day report/extensions of any kind you have reported your address to immigration, if you go on holiday for a few day no great shakes if in a hotel they will report you staying if staying with friends I wouldn't bother reporting that's for sure. What this is is people using addresses they have not been staying at for some reason best known only to themselfs and staying elsewhere.  Does make me wonder why have they something to hide. But in genral it's nothing to get all upset and ranting about.

2 hours ago, MaxiMaxi said:

This kind of rule exists in most countries (if not all) not only for immigrants but also for locals, important is that you live there or somebody at that adress can confirm it when you absent. The short trips elsewhere will be advised by the hotel guesthouse reception registretion. In any case I would avoid to stay in private homes during some visits, better to register at a small cheap hostel shared room nearby for 200 baht even if not sleeping there. In this way no hassel.

What is sure is that the "good guys" are always easy to be cought when a little mistake occourse. It's a big stress but better to stay focused on their logic and do things in a clever way. All over the world now there is tention and attention growing more and more and the police must show to the bosses that they work so they start from this kind of things that allows them to make also money cause they have to compensate the reduced income caused by the tourism decrease. And we all farangs have to be united and help each other whatever nationality we are in the same way thai people are united to control us, the police intentionaly and the normal people unintentionaly cause grown in a controled sistem since ages and don't realise it.

I feel that things are changing and getting close to certain old sistems used in the past comunist regimes and actualy very in use in European countries. Easy for them to think that all problems come from abroad and that farangs are poluating the local's minds and start a whitch hunt.....

I would rather depend on my Thai friends to pull me out of the poo because they know the system and have the contacts.All farangs are useless when push comes to shove.

4 hours ago, jonwilly said:

I am Chiang Mai resident.

Earlier this year I had a month down in Pratchup Kiri Kan.

My 90 day was due so I went to local office and checked in no problem.

Back in CM for my next 90 day and whoa, B 800 fine.

I had failed to inform CM immigration on leaving CM.

There is a form for going to another province and another for returning, which must be filled in.

john

Did your home owner ( or you ) give a TM 30 to immigration on return? As they will have a TM 30 ( if you stayed in an hotel ) for the away address that is what they will have you down as.

Thanks for the heads up, as I will need to do my next 90 day in C M.

7 hours ago, HenryB said:

Stop Complaining we are guest in their country Fellow the their rules and be happy

You can think like that if you want, personally I think Thailand can get stuffed, I am many others are getting out.

14 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

My take on this quite simple tourist on holiday is out of this equation as they are booked into hotel's guest houses BAND B so they will be fine.

Longer term stayers 90 day report/extensions of any kind you have reported your address to immigration, if you go on holiday for a few day no great shakes if in a hotel they will report you staying if staying with friends I wouldn't bother reporting that's for sure. What this is is people using addresses they have not been staying at for some reason best known only to themselfs and staying elsewhere.  Does make me wonder why have they something to hide. But in genral it's nothing to get all upset and ranting about.

Sorry fella but you are using logic here and if it were true I would completely agree. The one thing I have lean red about this God forsaken country is that you cannot rely on logic and / or common sense,, or even a reasonable attitude when it comes to Thai authorities. If they have a chance to enforce something, stupid or not because there is cash involved you can bet more often then not they do it..

36 minutes ago, stuck said:

My son and I got our teeth cleaned at Smile Dental in Ladprao last weekend.  I was quoted 1500b for each cleaning - cash of course - but it turned out to be 1800b for both of us.  

The lady behind the desk asked me for my passport.  I declined.  Do you think she was going to report me for the time I spent in the chair?

That's more about if you run away without paying. I'm always asked for passport or ID at the bank, dentist, hospital etc.

30 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

There was a mention ti checking out if your home ir residence and then the proverbial having to check back in. Now this is a slap in the face. The normal 1 yr person on visa and/or extension good people will certainly have a problem with their residence owners or managers.  No one wants to be bothered that much. Even for home or condo owners it is overboard. Pulling teeth is more attractive. So what is the most point? Harassment ofcthe good folk? Everyone still needs to go face to face at one time or the other. 90 day checkin, and having to report to get a reentry. There is mention they want a GPS drivers license. So this is going farther than just us. But we are frist on the  punching block. 

1 hour ago, willyumiii said:

The 90%of posters have no reading comprehension at all and their knowledge of the most simple of immigration rules is woeful.A rule that does not concern them at all.The most they may have to do is drive the missus to immigration.Immigration must get a laugh when they read these pages and grit their teeth when they have to face so many ignorant and clueless farangs on Monday morning for another week of explaining the easiest country to stay in,long term.I really wish that the whingers and moaners would go back to where they came from and then they may appreciate what they had.

3 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

The 90%of posters have no reading comprehension at all and their knowledge of the most simple of immigration rules is woeful.A rule that does not concern them at all.The most they may have to do is drive the missus to immigration.Immigration must get a laugh when they read these pages and grit their teeth when they have to face so many ignorant and clueless farangs on Monday morning for another week of explaining the easiest country to stay in,long term.I really wish that the whingers and moaners would go back to where they came from and then they may appreciate what they had.

along with 90% of  immigration  officers

43 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Your wife has to report you once.You do nothing.

I see you above moaning about posters having no reading comprehension - you seem to have missed that I have been on two trips, so my wife must report twice.  1600B fine otherwise.

Not sure about me needing to report a TM28 in all of this though. Clear as mud.

This is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. My wife filed a TM30 last month and avoided the fine by buying them cake. If I have to report my return every week after a weekend away with the lads, I'm out. My extension is due end of this month, if these two trips appear on their computer and they want to fine my wife, I'm off. We've talked about the possibility of moving back to the UK, after 2 years of this government, I'm nearly there.

13 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Sorry fella but you are using logic here and if it were true I would completely agree. The one thing I have lean red about this God forsaken country is that you cannot rely on logic and / or common sense,, or even a reasonable attitude when it comes to Thai authorities. If they have a chance to enforce something, stupid or not because there is cash involved you can bet more often then not they do it..

Gazza you are scared of your own shadow.The rules are simple to follow.If you can't follow them,maybe it is better you moved along.

The rules are made for scamming.  So you stay where you report at immigration every 90 days and then go to a hotel for a weekend away.  The hotel supposedly reports you but maybe doesn't.  In either case you are not where you say you are registered so does that mean a fine?  does reporting by the hotel override your 90 day report address until you checkout?  If the hotel owner fails to report you then are you liable?  Since both the foreigner and owners are liable for this insane reporting it seems you can fined either way.   That said most immigration officials I have dealt with are pretty fair and take pity as I have children.  But the rules are definitely airy fairy so the police can demand money whether or not it seems you are complying which given the extortion racket with shops, bars and restaurants I suppose is really not surprising.

There is no sense to anything here which is part of the initial attraction but soon wears very thin.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yes the hotel stay us an easy given. That one is on their shoulders, but there is a thin line if say you check into another hotel, they do not register you and then you return back home say 2 more days. You will be fined as late. I for one do not understand why you are not upset over being treated like you are on parole or a fifth class wanted for your money only cannot be a citizen. Uniformed is not correct. Staying with it is more like it.  

Ever heard of a hotel receipt.

9 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

Easy to say from your Rocking Chair.  But all we all care is it doesn't get more strangulating. I travel a lot and have a family with a 22 yr old daughter and 2 teenage kids here. 1/2 Thai. So it is vety disturning after all these years. Ofcourse will jump but and do what they want, but then I fly over 40 + times here a year and you can add local trips with visiting friends from home. Get my point? 

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Easy to say from your Rocking Chair.  But all we all care is it doesn't get more strangulating. I travel a lot and have a family with a 22 yr old daughter and 2 teenage kids here. 1/2 Thai. So it is vety disturning after all these years. Ofcourse will jump but and do what they want, but then I fly over 40 + times here a year and you can add local trips with visiting friends from home. Get my point? 

His name says it all ......"Louse1953"

12 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Simply another way of extorting money from foreigners.....

Maybe and maybe not.  I have no problem with this and I wish that the UK Government had the same system so that they could track legals and illegals.  Maybe then we could start to control the undesirables we get here in the UK, or at least keep tabs on them.

3 minutes ago, silent said:

The SIM card rectal implant is sounding more and more practical every day.

I'll take a necklace with a cell type sending unit attached, we can wear it wherever we go. If found without it, then fine us, and they can track us whenever they want. Or give the option of software loaded on our smartphone, again, we have our cellphone on us, or they fine us. Would be simple to implement, just pay for one on arrival, deposit returned when we leave the country.

Archived