Stay where you have registered - or face 4,000 baht fine, warns Immigration

webfact

Some need to get  life !  

The last country I worked in required documentation/official authorisation before an expat could travel more than 50 kilometers from their registered address.  

Perhaps I should suggest a similar policy be imposed on Pattaya expats.   :smile:

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, bigbadthaijohn said:

Are you just a troll? Is that your deal? People are genuinely confused by the sudden and unannounced enforcement of a law which almost no one (including both foreigners and Thais) knew about, and all you do is make snide comments and insult people. Is that all that gives your life meaning? I pity you.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

I have been called that before, and by members with more than 131 posts, but I like to think that I'm not. I'm trying to provide some perspective and clarity on the issue here based on 15 years of living in Thailand and never being fined, and I dont consider any of my posts to have been "snide." 

As for the law in question, I think it is quite well know and its stepped-up enforcement has been going on for years so I don't think the premise of your post is valid. Everytime there is a report of someone being fined for an offense, a panic seems to break out on the forum about some new crackdown in the works, with people posting how it will drive people to flee the country and for tourist numbers to plunge and I'm only telling people to relax and there's really nothing to see here. 

2 hours ago, Sig said:

Ask who? The landlord?
I'm not sure if that's who you meant, but I would recommend more than asking. Get the paperwork from them to prove it before you spend your time going to immigration. That's what was required of me by immigration.
I did ask the landlord and trusted them, not knowing immigration would require the papers from the landlord (don't ask me why they wanted the paperwork... it shows in their computer). The landlord lied, saying he already had done so. Saved face momentarily until I went to immigration to do a 90 day and wasn't allowed to file the papers because my lying landlord hadn't filed as he said. So, I had to wait for the landlord to get me the papers to prove they had actually notified, bring those papers to immigration and proceed. The landlord was fined, lost face, and I wasted yet another day because of all of this nonsense.

Maybe it's time to find a new landlord.

There's far to much hype about this. It's being blown out of all proportion it like a single poster rolling along picking up other poster inducing a mass fear about a nothing to fear issue. How many of you posting your fear and vitriol  on this thread are going to be caught living at an address other than the one your registered at. ??? Living  is the optimum word here. Calm down take a breath jump of the train and think about it.

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Some clear explanation from Immigration as to how (if at all) this applies to owner-occupiers would be nice. Of course clarity is not a strong point in Thailand.

Lack of clarity is deliberate. That way the backhand can generate more income.

21 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Some clear explanation from Immigration as to how (if at all) this applies to owner-occupiers would be nice. Of course clarity is not a strong point in Thailand.

That much IS clear!

19 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

So, if I am registered at my current residence through my 90 day reports and I go to the beach for a weekend, do I have to re-report my return home???

This is absolute idiocy. :post-4641-1156693976:

I think this all depends on where you live, i asked at my immigration if i should re-register if i went on holiday to Chiang Mai, ''How long for'',  ''Oh i don't know, a week or so'',  ''No, that's alright, it wouldn't be worth it'' 

21 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Is that a blood pressure monitor on the desk, in the photo, lol

It could be, needed to check the blood pressure of the oldies to make sure they're not liable to succumb to  a stroke or coronary when handed their fine. :shock1:

" They are simply deliberately creating laws that cannot be abided by." Brought to mind sections of Chris Hitchens book, along with "not knowing what the law is" as definition for totalitarian government.

What if someone goes camping? Do national parks do tm30's? or if just out in the boonies?

Just now, Emster23 said:

" They are simply deliberately creating laws that cannot be abided by." Brought to mind sections of Chris Hitchens book, along with "not knowing what the law is" as definition for totalitarian government.

What if someone goes camping? Do national parks do tm30's? or if just out in the boonies?

Not creating laws these laws have been on the books for a long time just not enforced. Wish people would stop blowing this out of all proportion as usual. If your going on holiday camping go I am 100% sure an immigration officer isn't going to be knocking on your tent flap let's get real here talk about la la land I think most are in farang la la land

3 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I have been called that before, and by members with more than 131 posts, but I like to think that I'm not. I'm trying to provide some perspective and clarity on the issue here based on 15 years of living in Thailand and never being fined, and I dont consider any of my posts to have been "snide." 

As for the law in question, I think it is quite well know and its stepped-up enforcement has been going on for years so I don't think the premise of your post is valid. Everytime there is a report of someone being fined for an offense, a panic seems to break out on the forum about some new crackdown in the works, with people posting how it will drive people to flee the country and for tourist numbers to plunge and I'm only telling people to relax and there's really nothing to see here. 

It's your Trump profile pic, I immediately take everything you say as snide and with a scowl !

10 hours ago, ocddave said:

I'll take a necklace with a cell type sending unit attached, we can wear it wherever we go. If found without it, then fine us, and they can track us whenever they want. Or give the option of software loaded on our smartphone, again, we have our cellphone on us, or they fine us. Would be simple to implement, just pay for one on arrival, deposit returned when we leave the country.

There's no reason they can't use the same technology for parolees 

http://www.actronsystems.com/police-criminal-ankle-bracelet-tether-tracking-monitoring.html

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I think this all depends on where you live, i asked at my immigration if i should re-register if i went on holiday to Chiang Mai, ''How long for'',  ''Oh i don't know, a week or so'',  ''No, that's alright, it wouldn't be worth it'' 

the mentality that "nothing's illegal unless you get caught"

10 hours ago, true blue said:

The world is going ting tawn digressing a bit I've just had letters of pension company in UK wanting to no were I live in Thailand and copy of passport another wants proof of live all certified by embassy.

Never declear that you live abroad when retire and get pension

All european gov.ts use this to apply a low that reduces the monthly amount and also takes money for the Int. transfer.

Better to credit y home account and use credit card or webbanking tho transfer Cash.

The pension buro does not say but It Is a trap and worse If you go to the embassy

1 hour ago, Emster23 said:

You all need to stop and ask yourselves..

How many laws in Thailand are actually enforced?

Very few and not often.

The odds of having a problem as a result of this regulation are slim to none.

If you do have a problem, it will cost you 4000 baht..that is only about $120 USD...not very much at all.

If $120 usd is going to break you, you are already broke!

This topic is nothing more than bait for complainers on ThaiVisa, where the complainers thrive.

11 hours ago, naboo said:

I see you above moaning about posters having no reading comprehension - you seem to have missed that I have been on two trips, so my wife must report twice.  1600B fine otherwise.

Not sure about me needing to report a TM28 in all of this though. Clear as mud.

This is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. My wife filed a TM30 last month and avoided the fine by buying them cake. If I have to report my return every week after a weekend away with the lads, I'm out. My extension is due end of this month, if these two trips appear on their computer and they want to fine my wife, I'm off. We've talked about the possibility of moving back to the UK, after 2 years of this government, I'm nearly there.

IMO you are making too much of it. It isn't that hard to go to immigration or the police station and present a piece of paper. No fee involved.

If you feel so strongly about it, perhaps LOS isn't the country for you, as it is only getting worse anyway, what with the new rules for extensions every time I go for one.

I hate going to immigration and not knowing what they will come up with to make it harder, but if I had to I'd use an agency to say myself the stress. It's not that much. Most probably spend that much on booze in a month.

I certainly wouldn't leave LOS because of it.

IMO YOU do not have to present a TM 28, unless changing address permanently.

I can see a certain logic in this, if you had to re-register after a holiday presumably you would have to fill out a form saying where you were staying,they could then check if the owner or hotel had registered you or not.

WHAT????? TM 30 does not include a section on where the guest was previously, and YOU don't have to "re register" every time you go away a few days.

There is so much misinformation and rumour on this thread.

I have just phoned my local Immigration same reply.

I'm never on any hotel list anyway always go with the wife if we go on holiday. She does all the paper work when we arrive using her ID card I have never been asked for my passport. I just do the paying. Storm in a tea cup.

5 hours ago, MDS said:

Could be a bit of an issue for me. My official address here is the factory of the company I am working for although obviously I don't live there.

Did the owner of the place you actually live at present a TM 30? Did you give the correct address on your entry form, or have you presented a TM 28 giving your real address? If yes, why would you have a problem? If not, you do, but you can sort it. Up to you.

19 minutes ago, willyumiii said:

You all need to stop and ask yourselves..

How many laws in Thailand are actually enforced?

Very few and not often.

The odds of having a problem as a result of this regulation are slim to none.

If you do have a problem, it will cost you 4000 baht..that is only about $120 USD...not very much at all.

If $120 usd is going to break you, you are already broke!

This topic is nothing more than bait for complainers on ThaiVisa, where the complainers thrive.

When you live In a different country you Give to the money the value It has In that country.

4000 baht Is an amount that has a weight In Thailand and money doesn't grow on trees. So why have we to pay just cause they are creating more complicate conditions adding probability to make a mistake??

It's not fair to think like them: "Farang big money, must pay money" using many enforced rules.

Already 90days rep Is something used by police In other countries to control condemned people free on parole.....

Sterile discussion, as always here about immigration.

There is confusion due to poor translation between:

"Home / address":

- The Place where you live permanently, where you receive your mail ...

... And "residence"

- the place where you sleep occasionally. Your "residence is usually your home / address, but not when you are traveling.

Refining then, for Dummies. you are not required to declare a one-time change of residence but you must however notify any change of home  / address.

When traveling in the kingdom so you have no statement to make as your home / address does not change. Is that clear enough?

Also specify that  the entity that hosts you must report to immigration within 24 hours of your arrival. This process is its only responsibility.

Pfff !  :post-4641-1156694005:

17 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

I have just phoned mis local Immigration same reply.

I'm never non any hotel list anyway always go with the wife i n we go on holiday. She does all the paper work when we arrive using her ID card I have never been asked for my passport. I just do the paying. Storm in a tea cup.

But since a year where ever I have been ( Krabi. Phuket. Koh Samui. Rayong. Chonburi ) the receptions now asks for both thai I.D. and passports of check In Persons with fotocopy of front page and entry stamp, stay permit page with tm6, and comparing validity of entry stamp expiration date and stay permit expiration date. And every time I have to explain that entry stamp was Issued before renewal of permit extention and dates do not correspond. Meaning that they have Instructions to check more and more deeply. That's my experience, of course

16 minutes ago, happy Joe said:

Sinerile discussion, as always here about immigration.

There is confusion due to poor translation between:

"Home / address":

- The Place where you live permanently, where you receive your mail ...

... And "residence"

- the place where you sleep occasionally. Your "residence is usually your home / address, but not when you are traveling.

Refining then, for Dummies. you are not required to declare a one-time change of residence but you must however notify any change of home  / address.

When traveling in the kingdom so you have no statement to make as your home / address does not change. Is that clear enough?

Also specify that  the entity that hosts you must report to immigration within 24 hours of your arrival. This process is its only responsibility.

Pfff !  :post-4641-1156694005:

But consider also the different meaning that each country gives to the words.

In my country there Is:

Residence

Domicile

Residence Is the official adress registered at Municipality and Tax office and written on your I.D. card

Domicile Is where you want to stay day or night and can be different from you residence for many reason and where you chose to receive postal letters for example. So can be different from your Interpretation and that can generate confusion and misunderstanding when we face certain words here In Thailand.

Archived