High Probability Of Bar Closure 16 Oct 2016

MrDK

12 hours ago, Mekong Thunder said:

The problem with these bar closures is that the only people they affect are the tourists,here to have a good time and relax.
The Thai locals know to stock up on their booze for these occasions and also know all the Mom 'n' Pop stores that will sell to them on these days,so it is just holidaymakers that are caught on the hop who are not Buddhists anyway,ridiculous!

Hotel bars are often exempt from no alcohol days.

Only the major ones see all hotels forced to observe the dryness.

On 10/6/2016 at 9:56 PM, Johpa said:

Me fears that after the end of the Buddhist Lent (phansaa) that we might see more than a one day stretch that the bars will be closed.  You might want to stock up now on your favorite beverage as a hedge bet.

A cryptic comment - as it must be of course - but I agree, there will certainly be a long period when alcohol is not available and, probably, bars and other entertainment facilities will be ordered to close; for how long is anyone's guess

Patrick

Edited by p_brownstone

On 10/7/2016 at 0:55 PM, Thaiwrath said:

Chulalongkorn Memorial day has never been a bar closure day.

Very true. However it happens to be the end of Buddhist Lent, which is the reason it was a dry day last year and the year before.

5 minutes ago, Mojomor said:

Very true. However it happens to be the end of Buddhist Lent, which is the reason it was a dry day last year and the year before.

But you are talking about 2 different events on 2 different days.  16th will be "dry", 23rd won't be.

On Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Mojomor said:

It was last year for the first time, but not the year before that or before that or .......

7 minutes ago, saakura said:

During the mourning period for His Majesty the King, i think that all bars and entertainment venues will be requested to close down.

What was said in the announcement on TV was that people should refrain for having parties for 30 days. What effect that has on Bars etc we will know in the near future.

But if it means that Bars have to close for 30 days then many bars will NOT survive.

4 minutes ago, Jajazazajaja said:

Has there been any announcement regarding business closing down next week? I have a job and with a finance company and wonder if they will even be open 

No but instructions are that starting tomorrow, everyone who works in government, government related companies of any sort, schools, and private businesses is to wear black, and if no black shirt, then black trousers and white shirt. This practice is schedule to last for one year, but not sure if the period of mourning will extend that long to private businesses.

Edited by keemapoot
clarify

2 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

No but instructions are that starting tomorrow, everyone who works in government, government related companies of any sort, schools, and private businesses is to wear black, and if no black shirt, then black trousers and white shirt. This practice is schedule to last for one year. 

Thanks for that, will pack accordingly

25 minutes ago, saakura said:

During the mourning period for His Majesty the King, i think that all bars and entertainment venues will be requested to close down.

That may be so, but I have read that the mourning period may be up to 99 or 100 days. While I would not expect entertainment venues to close that long, it could be for longer than a few days. Of course few know yet as it hasn't happened for 70 years.

That begs the question though, what happens to the people least able to survive without an income- the staff?

6 minutes ago, saakura said:

Anybody knows if tourist entertainment venues such as Safari World, River Cruise etc will also shut down for a month in mourning? Also will it be inappropriate for foreign tourists to be at the beach?

If they were to restrict tourists for more than a day or two, IMO that would have serious repercussions on the tourist industry.

As to whether they will or not, obviously I have no idea.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

If they were to restrict tourists for more than a day or two, IMO that would have serious repercussions on the tourist industry.

As to whether they will or not, obviously I have no idea.

I believe that everything will be open as normal, and the goal is not to cripple business and industry and disrupt lives. But, entertainment parties of all sorts are to be avoided. I think this means that bars and restaurants will be open most days as normal, and businesses and government too.