Immigration registration

We are aware of the fact that our landlord has to register us within 24 hours after arrival. 

However, we have the following quesiton:

When we arrive with non-OA visa for the very first time in Thailand do we also THEN have to register ourselves within 24 hours separtely to the registration that our landlord has to undertake?

Many thanks for your kind attention and possible replies.

The landlords report is enough to start with.

You will then need to do a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country if you stay that long.

If you change addresses you need to do a change of address report to immigration.

So if I understand this correctly and please feel free to correct me if my understanding is wrong;

wife and and I live in house in Khorat registered as living there with immigration and do my 90 day reporting like a good boy without fail.

we go to Pattaya to visit relatives and stay in guest house. Guest house registers us as staying there say ten days.

on return to Khorat do I have to then report ( or wife report) that we are back ?

7 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

So if I understand this correctly and please feel free to correct me if my understanding is wrong;

wife and and I live in house in Khorat registered as living there with immigration and do my 90 day reporting like a good boy without fail.

we go to Pattaya to visit relatives and stay in guest house. Guest house registers us as staying there say ten days.

on return to Khorat do I have to then report ( or wife report) that we are back ?

When you return to Khorat, you are supposed to report with a TM28 form to immigration,

within 24 Hours.

regards Worgeordie

4 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

When you return to Khorat, you are supposed to report with a TM28 form to immigration,

within 24 Hours.

regards Worgeordie

Has there ever been a report of an issue if this isn't done? Say like when in the example above, if he didn't report his return to Korat and then goes to do his next 90-day at Korat immigration and they say "when did you return to Korat...our records show you still in Pattaya? Four-thousand baht please."

It's certainly never happened to me when I've traveled around Thailand and returned home to Pattaya and never filed any TM 28s or 30s.

• Like 1

The requirement to file TM-30 reports varies from one immigration office to another. There is rarely a problem because you fail to file them promptly within 24 hours.

The even more ludicrous TM-28 form is, thankfully, almost never required. The only exception is when you have an extension of stay and are moving to the jurisdiction of a new immigration office, requiring service there.

The letter of the law is quite irrelevant in this area. You need to know what the immigration officials in your area have deemed appropriate.

Probably this is only an issue for all that live here on retirement visa. Everybody else have to leave the country every 90 days for 48 hours,
and then return again. My understanding is that the reporting is done automatically, when you fill in you arrival/departure card and get your
stamp in the passport.

Please tell me if I am wrong, because then I will have to start reporting

13 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Probably this is only an issue for all that live here on retirement visa. Everybody else have to leave the country every 90 days for 48 hours,
and then return again. My understanding is that the reporting is done automatically, when you fill in you arrival/departure card and get your
stamp in the passport.

Please tell me if I am wrong, because then I will have to start reporting

More accurately stated, it affects people with permissions to stay that exceed 90 days (entry on long stay visas or extensions of stay) who do not leave Thailand for 90 days. Extensions can be for many reasons, not just retirement.

You are correct that the 90-day address reporting does not apply to those who leave and re-enter the country before the 90 days is up.. There is no need to stay out for 48 hours (crossing a land border and returning 15 minutes later is perfectly acceptable). Those on extensions of stay with re-entry permits can also choose to do this as an alternative to address reporting.

17 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The landlords report is enough to start with.

You will then need to do a report of staying longer than 90 days in the country if you stay that long.

If you change addresses you need to do a change of address report to immigration.

not forget to report yourself to you have to use the TM28 for that.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm28.pdf

instruction are to report within 24 hrs.

Hi guys and genuine thanks for the very highly regarded advice on which I shall act upon.

having been here (Khorat) four years and travelled to Bkk, Patt, Pkt, Utd etc many times and never once submitted a TM28, theoretically I should be quite a lot less well off (relatively) than my current fiscal status tells me I am.

reality though is that Khorat immigration ( at Dan Kiwan) are seriously super friendly, helpful and even make the occasional joke or pull my leg when I visit them. They have never asked for a TM28 and it was they who suggested to me that renewing my marriage visa was not the best option as I qualified both in age and income to just go with a retirement visa which they could ( and did) give me in one day! No need to send piles of bumf to Bkk and wait three weeks for a maybe answer.

i will ask them next month when I do my 90 day and let you guys know.

in the meantime, I read many negative posts about our host country, a few of which I tend to agree with but the Immigration in Dan Kiwan are absolutely a perfect example of how it could work with the right people in place.

OFC  that does not necessarily hold fair for those poor immigration guys in more farang popular places who have regretfully to deal with some of my fellow countrymen ( -and other farangs) who seem to believe they have a right to live here, on a daily basis who suffer increasing levels of jadedness as a result.

I recently witnessed first hand a fellow Brit trying to bribe these guys as he had "accidentally" overstayed his visa by a few months. His offerings were politely declined and he was given clear and very helpful directions on what he needed to do to sort out the problem.

outstanding!

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

within 24 Hours.

regards Worgeordie

Hi Woe, whats the crack then if I go to Pattaya for 2 nights in an  hotel, then back to Phitsanulok where I live and am registered?

2 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Hi Woe, whats the crack then if I go to Pattaya for 2 nights in an  hotel, then back to Phitsanulok where I live and am registered?

I have stayed in hotels many times and have never been asked for a TM30 or TM28 by the immigration office here (9 extensions and numerous 90 day reports).

I don't think they see a report from a hotel unless they look for them on their computer system.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

Has there ever been a report of an issue if this isn't done? Say like when in the example above, if he didn't report his return to Korat and then goes to do his next 90-day at Korat immigration and they say "when did you return to Korat...our records show you still in Pattaya? Four-thousand baht please."

It's certainly never happened to me when I've traveled around Thailand and returned home to Pattaya and never filed any TM 28s or 30s.

Cases have been reported in Khorat.  In cases where the wife owns the home, they fine the wife for no TM-30.  But, as has been pointed out, only certain offices do this.  In the case of the OP, it would be the landlord at fault (or building manager, perhaps). 

"The Dark Lord" mentioned Khorat, which is where the following thread originated:

beebee7  - Best thing to do is check with your own office, and see what they want you to do.

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 6:26 PM, worgeordie said:

within 24 Hours.

regards Worgeordie

I disagree.

You are only required to complete a TM28 if you permanently change address.

The Dark Lord's visits to Pattaya or wherever are only temporary, and classified as touring,  then he returns to his permanent address.

The guesthouse should file a TM30 reporting his temporary stay, that's the only requirement and not his problem.

Edited by Faz

Just out of curiosity, but does who or where ones wife may work, have any effect on immigration officers handling of farang husbands? Be it ones wife may be a mid-high government employee, like working for the same Hospital the king himself uses? 

57 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Just out of curiosity, but does who or where ones wife may work, have any effect on immigration officers handling of farang husbands? Be it ones wife may be a mid-high government employee, like working for the same Hospital the king himself uses? 

Theoretically it shouldn't make any difference, but in practice it's sometimes not what you know, but who you know, or who they know.

20 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have stayed in hotels many times and have never been asked for a TM30 or TM28 by the immigration office here (9 extensions and numerous 90 day reports).

I don't think they see a report from a hotel unless they look for them on their computer system.

wouldn't they automatically have to do that when you apply for your 90 day report ?

As I am subject to this kind of madness in the near future too, I am already considering to travel out of the country every time before the 90 days are over, same as I did all those years when I had the non-immi-multiple-entry Visas.

that way, no messing around with TM28/TM30 and whatever else may appear

1 hour ago, siam2007 said:

wouldn't they automatically have to do that when you apply for your 90 day report ?

As I am subject to this kind of madness in the near future too, I am already considering to travel out of the country every time before the 90 days are over, same as I did all those years when I had the non-immi-multiple-entry Visas.

that way, no messing around with TM28/TM30 and whatever else may appear

There is no application for a 90 day report. Just submit a TM47 report form and they do a receipt for it. Nothing they need to check other than to see if you did for your last report.

At most offices you will not be asked for a TM28 or TM30 when you do a 90 day report.