Most of vegetables and fruits on sale in fresh and modern trade markets are laced with pesticide residues

webfact

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I always cook the veg twice, once bring it to the boil and let it simmer for a bit then throw away the water,wash off the veg and recook.

40 minutes ago, howbri said:

Aren't you cooking away the vitamins etc?

Not to mention that doing that tends to make salads very soggy and unappetizing !

I rinse the soft veggies (lettuce, tomatoes, chilies, peas, etc) in cold water while giving them a light rub with my fingers to remove any surface grime. The hard veggies (carrots, potatoes) I also rinse but I use one of those sponges with the green Brillo pad to give them a bit better scrub. I doubt I spend more than 2-3 minutes on the task in total.

I learned a long time ago that no matter how healthy your lifestyle is, or how religious, or how rich and powerful you are, no one lives forever ! Eat the healthiest diet you can and die tomorrow from liver cancer. Live the healthiest lifestyle possible then die from an infected papercut. 

I'd rather enjoy life and live it without stressing out everyday about whether those tomatoes might have traces of pesticides on them, or if that pork was grown "organically". <deleted> - you'll probably die quicker from being overly stressed than you will from the food you eat ! 

From what I've seen in Thailand, most people are probably more likely to die from cholesterol-related problems, or liver problems, or smoking problems, or combinations of the 3 with a heavy dose of laziness added in, than they are from from the pesticide residue on the foods they eat.

And the purpose of this story is!!! 

Oh yes silly me Thai visa wants to keep the anti Thai everything going get much more hits then so advertiser can see just how many people come to this site.

If you wash the vegetables before cooking which you should do no matter what country you live in, there is no problem. Anyone got any of your beloved statistical proof that any one dying eating veg.

3 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

I am growing an avocado tree from seed (New Zealand). Where are your seeds from? And how long did it take to get fruit? Thanks.

with fruit trees in general, it takes about 13 yrs to get fruit if growing from seed. Commercial farmers wouldn't consider growing from seed.  They plant grafted or rooted trees.  When I moved to C.Rai in 1998, there weren't grafted avocado trees for sale.  Even now, the may not be available.  So I planted 63 avos from seed, so each is different genetically.  About half have declared, and for most of those, the quality of the fruit is not so good.  Also, a tree can produce a multitude one year, and then be barren for ensuing years.  I've found pink grapefruit grown from seed is 'true to seed' (not so for avos).  Similarly, it's not possible to find any grapefruit trees for sale in Thailand.  .....only pomelo ('somo') and the quality is usually poor.  I bought 20 pomelo trees from 2 plant nurseries locally, and the quality (I had to wait several years for them to yield) ....are poor.  Of course, when you first go shopping, all the vendors are going to say, "Oh yes. This pomelo tree is great!"   

4 hours ago, UPDEHSOI said:

Soaking the veggies  ( and fruit ) in a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and water for 5 to 15 minutes works somewhat also.

Seems like a good idea, but please pardon my innocence, where do you get hydrogen peroxide?

On 06/10/2016 at 6:31 PM, UPDEHSOI said:

We did a "before and after" test of soaking the veggies in a mixture of 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide and one gallon of filtered water, then rinsing them of. It works fairly well. ( depending on the type of pesticides used, of course )

Hello Updehsoi, where do I buy hydrogen peroxide?  From the chemist at the pharmacy?

When I was living in Laos I was happy when I found out the farmers in Laos were too poor to buy chemicals for spraying on the vegetables and fruits. The vegetables were smaller in size and little bit yellowish, with some insects eaten holes on the leaves.

But when you cook them they taste sweet and have the vegetables taste not the bitter taste of chemical.

In Malaysia, the farmers have a small plot of land for growing their own vegetables which they don't spray with chemicals. See how smart they are. They don't kill themselves, they don't care if you die of chemical poisoning.

Most of us can kiss our livers & kidneys goodby to eventual cancer!  The more years these pesticides build up in our systems, the higher the probability of cancer!!

A Thai physician once told me prostate cancer was low among the Thai population.  However, G.I. Track and liver cancers are high.  I guess nowhere is perfect.

7 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"About 56 percent of fresh vegetables and fruits...are laced with chemical residues beyond acceptable standards..."

There is more than just "residue" on fruits and vegetables. There is a thick coating. I live next to a number of fields used for growing rice and vegetables, including beans, garlic, morning glory, etc. Before anything is planted, the workers are spraying the fields to kill weeds. As soon as anything is planted, they are out there spraying again. They spray at least 2-3 times a week.  I would think that it is impossible to get organic produce in Thailand due  to overall soil contamination.  I grow some of my own  vegetables, and although I don't use any chemical fertilizer or sprays, I am sure that the soil in which I grow my produce in contaminated as a result of chemicals leaching  from the enjoining fields. 

I expect to see farmers stop using all those chemicals about the same time they stop their burning. . 

When hell freezes over. 

On 06/10/2016 at 9:14 PM, Honthy said:

Surely we will get similar result when someone checks the quality of bottled water, especially the big ones and pork.

Probably chicken would fail too, so what can we eat and drink ?

Yes, if we go by the book, no chemical, no hormones for animals feeds the veggie and meat will cost more simply because they don't grow big that fast and they don't look beautiful, compare the size of the veggie leaves you will see the chemical treated ones are way bigger and they are very green too. The organic ones are a little yellowish.

If you live far from chemical treated farm lands(no chemical leach to your land)  and you grow your veggie and keep some chickens or fish, you are living in paradise.

It has always been my dream but if the dream comes it would be late just enjoy a few years and then I die. Money to live such independent life makes the dream beyond my reach.

1 minute ago, SteveSamui6262 said:

Most of us can kiss our livers & kidneys goodby to eventual cancer!  The more years these pesticides build up in our systems, the higher the probability of cancer!!

A Thai physician once told me prostate cancer was low among the Thai population.  However, G.I. Track and liver cancers are high.  I guess nowhere is perfect.

Sing praises to our advanced ages and be grateful for all we have enjoyed. The 7 fat years are coming to an end. The 7 lean years are approaching fast. I feel sorry for my young Thai g/f my children and grand children and great grandchildren. Theirs will not be a repeat of what I have enjoyed. I laugh when I read that things are so much better today. Only in your dreams. 

2 minutes ago, jmccarty said:

Could this be why no insects bite me anymore?

Its the alcohol coursing through your system bro. The anti freeze of life. My g/f keeps saying "You smell like beer" Well must trundle off to the frig again. I think I am down a can. 

I recently had some testing performed and the test came back showing that I have posinious pesdicides in my system.  I've been in Thailand for about 7 years.  I do not trust the businesses that advertise as "organic."  What can one do here in Thailand to ensure that the risk of chemical contamination is minimized?  Can the contamination be neutralized in someway by doing some detox methods and if so, what can you suggest?  The pesticides levels are high and over time will impact the health of each and everyone of us.  

Does anyone ever question if the whole organic vegetable/fruit market in LOS is truly organic?

I sure do...just because they seem to lack the validation process and have no history or successful record of what it takes to run such a program....

Only words in Thailand....

Yes nothing new here.  My wife always insisted on washing any food bought from the market thoroughly before cooking it and that was over six years ago.  No secret about the pesticide residue.  Mind you she also washes all the fruit and veg that we buy here in Waitrose!

7 hours ago, fruitman said:

That's why we buy imported vegy from Australia.

Thailand is soo far behind the rest of the world.

New Zealand frozen vegies are pretty good too.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai-PAN coordinator Ms Prokchon Usap told the media on Thursday that the network collected 10 types of vegetables and six kinds of fruits which are popular among the consumers for tests to find out pesticide residues during August 23-29.

The ten types of vegetables include red chilli, kale, morning glory, lettuce, cabbage, cucumber, pea eggplant, tomato and basil. The six kinds of fruits are Sainampoeng orange, papaya, water melon, cantaloupe, guava and dragon fruit.

8 hours ago, jaltsc said:

"About 56 percent of fresh vegetables and fruits...are laced with chemical residues beyond acceptable standards..."

There is more than just "residue" on fruits and vegetables. There is a thick coating. I live next to a number of fields used for growing rice and vegetables, including beans, garlic, morning glory, etc. Before anything is planted, the workers are spraying the fields to kill weeds. As soon as anything is planted, they are out there spraying again. They spray at least 2-3 times a week.  I would think that it is impossible to get organic produce in Thailand due  to overall soil contamination.  I grow some of my own  vegetables, and although I don't use any chemical fertilizer or sprays, I am sure that the soil in which I grow my produce in contaminated as a result of chemicals leaching  from the enjoining fields. 

I expect to see farmers stop using all those chemicals about the same time they stop their burning. . 

Added to the high noxiousness of forest or fields smoke, when they burn their fields these chemicals are also found in the smoke and that's what we breathe.. these people have peanuts instead of brains.