Hawaii trip: Thai Airways wants  internet prosecuted over leaked passenger list

webfact

Hawaii trip: Thai Airways wants  internet prosecuted over leaked passenger list

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter -

14516523_1224412664283856_43186007284867

An undated file photo of Prawit Wongsuwan and his entourage in Hawaii. Image: Matichon

BANGKOK — Police on Friday were deliberating a request from Thai Airways to prosecute those on social media who spread what was purported to be a leaked passenger list of the government’s now-controversial trip to Hawaii last week.

Without saying whether the list was real, airline lawyer Pramuk Wilaiwong asked police Thursday to file charges against Facebook pages that shared the document under the Computer Crime Act, a draconian law that bans any online material deemed damaging to the reputation of an individual or organization.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2016/10/07/hawaii-trip-thai-airways-wants-internet-prosecuted-leaked-passenger-list/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-10-07

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

Police on Friday were deliberating a request from Thai Airways to prosecute those on social media who spread what was purported to be a leaked passenger list of the government’s now-controversial trip to Hawaii last week.

Yeah right, Thai Airways are pushing for this...

"... deemed damaging to the reputation of an individual or organization. "

What organization?

Thai Airways?

Or the merry band of Hawaii- travelers?

I thought, everything's squeaky clean about this?

How can it damage anyone's reputation?

"...deemed damaging to the reputation of an individual or organization."

If there are no laws being broken, or anything that could be considered unethical, where is the damage?

Edited by jaltsc

Anyway they all look like they are in holiday mode and ready to bunker down and enjoy themselves.  Love to see a comparison photo of what they all looked like around midnight. A wide angle lens would be needed to include all those accompanying "extras" in attendance.

21 million including 600,000 baht  just on food, seems just a tad outlandish, one has to wonder why so many had to attend and why civilians were included as well as why so many underling officers. Definitely ranks up there with a jaunt for the boys(and girls)

31 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"...deemed damaging to the reputation of an individual or organization."

If there are no laws being broken, or anything that could be considered unethical, where is the damage?

have seen many times in thailand defamation can be bought against people even when the allegations are true. like the article says it is a draconian law. useful for the rich and corrupt to keep their crimes from becoming public knowledge.

54 minutes ago, seajae said:

21 million including 600,000 baht  just on food, seems just a tad outlandish, one has to wonder why so many had to attend and why civilians were included as well as why so many underling officers. Definitely ranks up there with a jaunt for the boys(and girls)

Fluffers groomers and gofers. 

36 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

have seen many times in thailand defamation can be bought against people even when the allegations are true. like the article says it is a draconian law. useful for the rich and corrupt to keep their crimes from becoming public knowledge.

Yes, but his point was that if no laws are broken, how could it possibly be damaging?  Of course, TiT so damages can always be proven but assuming that actual logic is used, if I reported that williamgeorgeallen ate at McDonalds with friends, how is that illegal since no crime was committed?  If they took the trip and everything was on the up and up, who would that be damaging to?  

But many Thais who feel they are above being questioned have a bad habit of not really understanding the difference between the law and public perception.  

10 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Typical Thai reaction to being caught. 

We have seen it nearly every time someone exposes their criminal, unethical or immoral behaviour. 

Yes. Unbelievable. Instead of hanging their heads in shame (as if!) and facing up to the consequences - they go after the person or people who have exposed their alleged wrongdoing. Blame and castigate the messenger - never the crime or the criminal!

Just now, Eligius said:

Yes. Unbelievable. Instead of hanging their heads in shame (as if!) and facing up to the consequences - they go after the person or people who have exposed their alleged wrongdoing. Blame and castigate the messenger - never the crime or the criminal!

The best form of defence is attack and even better when you know the cards are all stacked in your favour.

Just now, NongKhaiKid said:

The best form of defence is attack and even better when you know the cards are all stacked in your favour.

Right. And isn't this the tactic of bullies all over the world - when they know they are untouchable?

deem

[deem] 
Spell Syllables
verb (used without object)
to form or have an opinion; judge; think:
He did not deem lightly of the issue.
verb (used with object)
to hold as an opinion; think; regard:
He deemed it wise to refuse the offer.

We can see that only opinions and judgements are relevant in these cases, not fact of any kind.  Since the govt controls the judgement makers (the judges), case closed and the party is GUILTY.

7 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

seriously, are there any left?

Sadly, there are still such people around. I've had rich Westerners tell me to my face that things are much better now in Thailand (for their business), and that democracy here in Thailand does not matter - it  is 'just a word'. What can one say?! The phrase, 'I'm all right, Jack', springs to mind.

Utterly disgusting!

1 minute ago, Eligius said:

Sadly, there are still such people around. I've had rich Westerners tell me to my face that things are much better now in Thailand (for their business), and that democracy here in Thailand does not matter - it  is 'just a word'. What can one say?! The phrase, 'I'm all right, Jack', springs to mind.

Utterly disgusting!

They're almost as bad, in my books, as those posters who bleat "Thai-bashers!!!1!" whenever one dares criticise the government, military, police, elite, because their overtly corrupt incompetence isn't affecting them personally.

12 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Utterly disgusting!

actually things have been ok for my business this year but surely people can see where the current style of a one party government is going.