British Ambassador: Thailand remains popular among British travelers

webfact

British Ambassador: Thailand remains popular among British travelers

CHIANG MAI, 7 October 2016 (NNT) – The British Ambassador to Thailand has indicated a continuous rise in the number of British visitors to Thailand each year and expressed willingness to help promote the understanding of the country’s customs and traditions. 

During his courtesy visit with the Governor of Chiang Mai, British Ambassador to Thailand Brian Davidson offered his apologies for inappropriate behavior of certain groups of British tourists visiting the Kingdom previously. He particularly voiced regret over a Briton’s accusation of theft against hill tribe children on Doi Suthep which later turned out to be false. 

Mr Davidson affirmed that the British Embassy has been trying to clear up the misunderstanding and restore the good image of Chiang Mai province. Moreover, PR materials have been produced and publicized on various websites in a bid to raise awareness among British people of Thailand’s laws and traditions. 

According to the British Ambassador, the number of British tourists coming to Thailand is currently more than one million per year and has a tendency to grow steadily as the country is still perceived as one of the top destinations. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-10-07

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Wouldn't it be nice if he did something to help the British people that come here instead of kissing ass

I think many people confuse the job description of an ambassador with that of a concierge or child minder.

an accredited diplomat sent by a country as its official representative to a foreign country.

No mention of  making hotel reservations, arranging dry cleaning services, bailing out drunks, providing general bum-wiping or otherwise playing nanny for clueless citizens of the home country. 

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I think many people confuse the job description of an ambassador with that of a concierge or child minder.

No mention of  making hotel reservations, arranging dry cleaning services, bailing out drunks, providing general bum-wiping or otherwise playing nanny for clueless citizens of the home country. 

I know there job description,cannot you not read ? I said wouldn't it be nice if they did something to help the people who pay their wages ,the normal people not the ones that they party and drink with ,understand ?

Just now, whatproblem said:

I know there job description,cannot you not read ? I said wouldn't it be nice if they did something to help the people who pay their wages ,the normal people not the ones that they party and drink with ,understand ?

Please list what you would have them do to help people. 

Perhaps you know of other Western Ambassadors/Embassies which provide the "helping services" on your list ?

Understand ? 

44 minutes ago, mikebell said:

With the UK pound at its current level + the cost of plane tickets, it would be cheaper to have an all-inclusive 5* holiday anywhere in Europe.

The way the pound's going I think Blackpool and Bognor landladies will be looking forward to a bumper season in 2017.

12 hours ago, carstenp said:

I'm sure there are, but they can't afford it anymore :sleepy:

The Brits can only blame themselves for the poor state of the Pound, which will get worse, as the British economy, including the City, is deteriorating, as they voted for Brexit inspite of all the warnings, which unfortunately, are slowly but surely coming true. The Tories have to understand that you can't have it both ways - either associated with the EU and then accept free movement of goods and PEOPLE, or cut off all ties, with the expected results.

15 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Part of the remit of the embassy and consulate is to provide support to and protect the rights, safety, etc of British nationals.

No, it's not to wipe their asses when doing a number two, of course not. Don't be silly. Don't try to counter a clear serious logic correct point, with extreme stupidity. It makes you look...stupid?

But have a nice day. Just don't ever ask any official body for help if you ever rightly need it.

15 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

4 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Please list what you would have them do to help people. 

Perhaps you know of other Western Ambassadors/Embassies which provide the "helping services" on your list ?

Understand ? 

Don't need a list ,just help its people ,if a VIP had a problem everything possible would be done but a normal person is not important to them

yes ,I do know embassies that help their people 

I take it you was / is a civil servant ? 

I understand and the majority of people do also 

I have not needed assistance.       Understand ? 

I think that they should show compassion and try to help  , understand?

6 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Don't need a list ,just help its people ,if a VIP had a problem everything possible would be done but a normal person is not important to them

yes ,I do know embassies that help their people 

I take it you was / is a civil servant ? 

I understand and the majority of people do also 

I have not needed assistance.       Understand ? 

I think that they should show compassion and try to help  , understand?

Please name these Embassies you know who provide unspecified "help" to their people. 

17 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

The Brits can only blame themselves for the poor state of the Pound, which will get worse, as the British economy, including the City, is deteriorating, as they voted for Brexit inspite of all the warnings, which unfortunately, are slowly but surely coming true. The Tories have to understand that you can't have it both ways - either associated with the EU and then accept free movement of goods and PEOPLE, or cut off all ties, with the expected results.

Brexit, that will be the problem not the complete arse  made of the economy whilst members of the EU. Rather like the UK ambassador to look after the interests of ex pats

12 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Please name these Embassies you know who provide unspecified "help" to their people. 

Even if other embassies didn't help their people the majority of people going abroad think they are there to help ,the U.K. Government help many countries and people  ,start helping your people ,not just the rich and famous  .understand ?

Good on yer Brian Davidson! With a free trade agreement between Thailand and the U.K on the cards the more cooperation between the two countries can only be a win, win situation for U.K expats residing in Thailand and visiting U.K tourists. I am optimistically hoping the visa regulations are also relaxed. Keep up the good work Brian!

"...offered his apologies for inappropriate behavior of certain groups of British..." Like walking on beach in wee hours?

Had series on Australia+ "The Embassy" that did cover activities of Australian Embassy here. May have been slanted a tad, but did show them helping clueless losers and regular folks, so not beyond realm of possibility embassies could help some of us groundlings.

6 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Good on yer Brian Davidson! With a free trade agreement between Thailand and the U.K on the cards the more cooperation between the two countries can only be a win, win situation for U.K expats residing in Thailand and visiting U.K tourists. I am optimistically hoping the visa regulations are also relaxed. Keep up the good work Brian!

You forgot the sarcasm emoji - I hope..............:saai:

Indeed he seems a personable kind of guy and I wish him well here.

One of the many problems at the British Embassy is that the Staff in General have no interest in actually Yes to a request because they prefer to sit in their High Chairs looking down on us.

I sent a letter of importance to the previous Ambassador and having not received a reply went to the Embassy and and was spoken down to by an English women who smirked and said ' Oh yes we received your letter but it was not seen by the Ambassador'... another smirk.

58 minutes ago, whatproblem said:

Do expats pay tax?

13 hours ago, carstenp said:

I'm sure there are, but they can't afford it anymore :sleepy:

Bankers always stand at the ready loan agreement and pen in hand. We live in a fly now pay later world. Banks today when you walk in are like boil room operations. Live the dream sign here. Don't let the stars get in your eyes. 

1 hour ago, bannork said:

Poor old Brits, they followed UKIP and their brawling MEPs and now the pound is sinking with no end in sight. 2 weeks in Cleethorpes or perhaps Skegness, once advertised for its bracing wind, 555

I don't think the UKIP followers are Thailand lovers,maybe Russia.