Open bank account with 30 day stamp

LongTimeLurker

7 minutes ago, Fithman said:

If you say so but I do not share your experience.  Perhaps the banks are looking for "quality" customers ?:smile:

Quite possibly. There are lots of us very poor people here that struggle by on a day to day basis. Is there any chance you could help me out?

1 hour ago, Psimbo said:

Rubbish-I have had accounts with Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank and SCB in the past and never held a work permit.

I did find it easiest to open a Kasikorn account, that was on a tourist visa IIRC.

Yes, me too years ago. But bank regulations have tightened in recent years. As I said before it all depends on the individual bank manager. We as landlords have assisted many of our guests without WP to open an account with Kasikorn in Kata.

6 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Rubbish-I have had accounts with Kasikorn, Bangkok Bank and SCB in the past and never held a work permit.

I did find it easiest to open a Kasikorn account, that was on a tourist visa IIRC.

And I have been to each one of those banks, and TMB and they have refused to open an account without a work permit.

Even having an existing account with Kaiskorn they refused to open a new account for me without a work permit.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

And I have been to each one of those banks, and TMB and they have refused to open an account without a work permit.

Even having an existing account with Kaiskorn they refused to open a new account for me without a work permit.

As mentioned earlier, it depends on the specific branch. In general TMB and SCB are not good for this.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

You like me, are wasting your time. Far too many know nothing experts on here that haven't a clue how it works these days.

Kasikorn today, W/P required, wife has account, i am also on a joint account was allowed to open a 5 year saving account, but no good for immigration, will stick with the multi entry non 'o' a bit longer.

what is required is posts of recent successes, what  bank, where opened, what help was required etc.

12 minutes ago, steve187 said:

Kasikorn today, W/P required, wife has account, i am also on a joint account was allowed to open a 5 year saving account, but no good for immigration, will stick with the multi entry non 'o' a bit longer.

what is required is posts of recent successes, what  bank, where opened, what help was required etc.

See e.g. posts 28 and 32. I also opened another account at Kasikorn Kata recently, no problem. They have a copy of my WP on file though, but did not recheck/update.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Don't agree, at Kasikorn and Bangkok bank you have a far better chance of opening an account than at the other 2 mentioned.

I have been in my Kasikorn branch with my Kasikorn bank account and asked to open a new bank account and they refused because I didn't have a work permit.

1 minute ago, stevenl said:

See e.g. posts 28 and 32.

one is 3 months old and the other is date less and neither say which banks, this is a catch 22 problem for people trying to go the 1 year extension route. either retirement or marriage.

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Longer ago than that, around 1997 if I remember right

Wrong - started 2012. I remember just walking into Kasikorn in Patong (was Thai Farmers back then) about 2000+ and opned a bank account in my name with only my passort. Can't do that now.

6 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Wrong - started 2012. I remember just walking into Kasikorn in Patong (was Thai Farmers back then) about 2000+ and opned a bank account in my name with only my passort. Can't do that now.

I remember going into Thai Farmers Bank in Pattaya Klang in 1997 and asking to open an account (my account being in a Bangkok branch of Thai Farmers) and they asked me for a work permit, told me there was new rules for Farangs opening accounts.

I remember the year as that's when I bought a condo in Pattaya.

21 hours ago, steve187 said:

Exactly the info I need.

3 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

Go into any branch and ask. No doubt you will be told what myself and others have told you regarding needing a WP and or a long term visa.

Or will more likely receive the same answer I always have in the last 21 years, "without a work permit cannot."

Which is why I want a specific bank and branch where someone has actually been successful in opening an account, not "go visit every bank in Phuket until one of them says OK"

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Or will more likely receive the same answer I always have in the last 21 years, "without a work permit cannot."

Which is why I want a specific bank and branch where someone has actually been successful in opening an account, not "go visit every bank in Phuket until one of them says OK"

In that case, I doubt that you'll ever find one. If you have been here the time you say you have then I'm sure you know how things change on an hourly basis. Just because somebody opened an account at a branch yesterday, there is zero guarantee the same branch will open an account today. Thailand is doing no more than catching up with the rest of the world when it comes to banking. 

I know someone who had an account opened and the next week was told the account was closed because the particular branch in Bangkok should never of opened it in the first place due to him not having a WP.

32 minutes ago, Ronuk said:

In that case, I doubt that you'll ever find one. If you have been here the time you say you have then I'm sure you know how things change on an hourly basis. Just because somebody opened an account at a branch yesterday, there is zero guarantee the same branch will open an account today. Thailand is doing no more than catching up with the rest of the world when it comes to banking. 

I know someone who had an account opened and the next week was told the account was closed because the particular branch in Bangkok should never of opened it in the first place due to him not having a WP.

I have long lived by the principle of 'expect the worse and be pleasantly surprised when something goes right"

However there are some things that you can do to manage the risk and be more expectant of a successful outcome. Being forearmed with knowledge is one of those factors that can go some way to ensure a successful outcome. And that has been the strength of forae like Thai Visa in providing information, except in this case it seems.

The highlighted part of your post just reinforces that banks do not want to give accounts to foreigners unless they have a work permit, so any specific information to circumvent this outcome is very useful.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

So try the multiple times mentioned Kasikorn Kata branch.

• 2 months later...

I did get a bangkok bank account yesterday on 30day tourist visa. Brought along rental contract and resident certificate from patong immigration (paid 500baht)

First thing i said to the lady when i sat down is i dont have work permit. But i have these.. she take a look at the rental contract and said ok no further qurstion was asked. 

Requested for internet banking but was told if approved i will be notify by post.

Whole process took abt 20minutes. It was a bangkok bank branch in town. 

On google map its along takuapa road towards T junction of phangnga road.

Btw i also went to 2kasikorn and 2scb branch both rejected as soon as i mention i dont have work permit. But 1lady from kasikorn ask me to try patong kasikorn branch maybe can she mention. I will try kasikorn patong branch next week and update again.

Screenshot_20170107-063333.png