Mouse In My House

I have a problem with a mouse (or maybe more than one) in my house. Obviously, I want rid of it/them, but how? I can't use poison or mousetraps as I have a lot of dogs & pups & a 5 year old child. Those glue things disgust me as I wouldn't be able to deal with it (kill it) when I'd caught it. The dogs are useless, I think they'd let it run over their noses if it wanted :o

I'm doing everything I can think of like not leaving food or rubbish out, washing dishes immediately etc.

Can anyone give any suggestions?

put some traps out at night, where the dogs cant reach, while your child is sleeping. I had a mouse problem once, set traps with peanut butter. As soon as I turned out the light, and started up the stairs WHAM the trap snapped. I disposed of the unlucky fellow, reset the trap and started off to bed again....WHAM......this continued until the family of six had all paid a visit to the trap. Maybe it was the peanut butter? Or just really stupid mice !!!

Edited by pumpuiman

I have a problem with a mouse (or maybe more than one) in my house. Obviously, I want rid of it/them, but how? I can't use poison or mousetraps as I have a lot of dogs & pups & a 5 year old child. Those glue things disgust me as I wouldn't be able to deal with it (kill it) when I'd caught it. The dogs are useless, I think they'd let it run over their noses if it wanted :o

I'm doing everything I can think of like not leaving food or rubbish out, washing dishes immediately etc.

Can anyone give any suggestions?

there are traps which just catch the mouse. Very cheap ones, we catched some mouse and rats with it. Should be available on every bigger market.

Thanks for the suggestions. Don't think the cat would be good, the dogs may ignore the mouse, but I think they'd have a field day with a cat! :D

I'll try the humane traps, I think (are they the ones that look like cages?) and set the mice free away from the house - they can't find their way back can they? :D I know, far more efficient to kill them, but I don't think I can bring myself to... What a woose! :o

i've got the same problem, and there is always a family of mice, they live under the roof and in a room which is hardly used. although i have tukgays here whom i can hear killing a mouse once in a while tey are never extinct :o some of my dogs like to hunt the mice but only one of the dogs kills the mouse in an instant, but is too slow to catch them. so i let the hunters catch the mouse and then the killer can do her job :D if she is not around the others would take the mouse on the sofa or bed and pet and lick her until it is dead but that is too gruesome to watch :D because of the dogs my cats can't go where the mice are.

good luck with mouse catching and relocating :D

We have the same problem elfe, mice (or rats) in the roof ugh!

We use a live trap (the cage thing with the swinging door). Bait it with bread (but I think I'll try Peanut butter bread now!) and when a mouse gets caught my husband takes it down to the beach and lets the dogs hunt it down.

It does help, but as elfe says, it never really gets rid of the darn things. I hate rodents! Don't mind tokays, but hate rats :o

I have a problem with a mouse

I beg your pardon!

:D Not meant personally!

Thanks for replies. I think the peanut butter bread might be a good bait, too. Certainly smells strong enough to attract them. Next step, go buy the trap. Does anyone know the Thai for "mouse trap"? :o:D

Asked my staff, tywais has it right :D

Tried the peanut butter bread last night, didn't work :o Maybe we have the trap in the wrong location. It helps to have the trap in a "high traffic area", for mice that is :D

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it is dangerous to put out poison and some would say that such misfortunes are karma coming back on you for trying to kill

I don't think your reluctance to kill is at all wussy...I think it's admirable

Personally I used humane traps for a while, problem was that after catching a bunch of the critters the few remaining ones got wise and wouldn't bite no matter what the bait. And, of course, even if your mice prove less smart than mine did, with eirther poison or humane traps they'll still keep coming back (or new ones will keep moving in)

A cat truly is the best and only permanent solution. Not only will they eliminate all existing mice and promptly grab any new intruders, but the mere presence of a cat will deter mice from coming in to begin with (they can smell thsat a cat is there).

Don't know how fierce your dogs are...but many cats are well able to hold their own with and intimidate dogs. You might try looking for a cat which is used to dogs or just has a tough disposityion and give it a try (when you first get the cat, keep the dogs outside and the cat inside...gradually atrt kletting the cat outside under direct supervision and see what happens...if you live in a place without a yard & have to keep the dogs inside, then put the cat in a separate room at first and then gradually introduce)

A village cat will be best in terms of mouse catching ability and is also likely to be tough enough to fend off dogs....