How Do YOU Save Money While Living in Thailand?

Andrew C

52 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Why would anyone, other than a corporate executive sent by his/her

company come to a country where the pay scale is 10% of their home

country and expect to save money....even if living expenses are 10% of

that of your home country it all balances out.  You move to these countries

with a pension and money invested and you don't worry about saving money.

ive worked here twice,

the last time on £350 a day i worked 5.5 days and was paid 7, that was 3 years ago,

you dont have to be a corporate executive

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

7 years is nothing. 

Some people keep the same job their whole lives. 

In USA the average marriage lasts about 8 years so I'll take it. Besides no estate or pre-nup issues but then I guess that isn't a problem for some if they have no assets.

But the 2016 internet version might be: There she was just a punching at her keyboard ...

Edited by JLCrab

14 hours ago, pigeonjake said:

You say Avoid relegationships 

That's because your s tight ass

short time relationships are far cheaper. it is not just about saving money, thailand is the best for single guys. i know quite a few guys who get bogged down with a girl and do nothing but complain. i try to avoid them if possible.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

I always buy high quality imported goods. They are more expensive to purchase but high quality means they last much longer and are actually fit for purpose. Much cheaper in the long run than the second rate plastic <deleted> available locally. 

Another tip would be to find a wife/girlfriend with a good occupation who is happy to contribute to your living expenses.

simple things

eat at home or on the street stay away from restaurants

take the bus it is cheaper than a van

Don't go to Pattaya or Phuket.

Holiday in places that are not commercialized.

Avoid buying stuff at Khasan and Patpong.

15 hours ago, SoiBiker said:

I have an actual relationship that doesn't involve money changing hands. 

I would think that is the best way, but are you sure money never actually

changes hands between you and Mrs Biker?

Henry Ford wisely said, that »it's not the money you make that makes you rich, it's the money you do not spend..!«

As OP wisely said, one can save money by eating home, instead of eating out; actually – that's my experience – the food at home is often better than food in restaurants. Also more modest restaurants may cook as well as quite expensive – reminds me of the expensive light lunch at a 5-start hotel, where we agreed that the same kind of food from a street kitchen were as good or better for 1/10th of the price – but never forget, one mostly pay for location: the view, the good chairs with soft pillows, the nice decorated big table, the service, the cloth napkins, the space, the "quality tourists" seated at the tables next to you, etc. etc.

Avoiding relationship may not always equal saving money; some time a relationship can save you money – apart from home cooking – as there might well be a number of situations you need local advise; and buy a lawyer instead of having your Thai partner sorting it out. I could probably have done all the same myself, as I have done with advice from  my lovely Thai girlfriend – apart from having family :whistling: – but it would probably have costed me that much more, that it equals the "cost" of having a relationship; especially when you settle more permanently and build a house (without seeking advise on Thai Visa Forum) etc.

But small regular savings do matter, even it seem so little, over a few years it become something; like a few thousand baht a month, which for example can be invested in Fund Books and generate dividend, or just sit in a "rainy day account" in case something unforeseen happens and a lump sum of cash is needed. Just think of that 2,000 baht a month will be 100,000 baht in 4 years. :thumbsup: That 20 baht to around a hundredred bath a day, which I think everyone can afford to save, can in a few years end up as a nice back-up...:smile:

11 hours ago, swissie said:

Considering the fact, that Thai-Hostesses (these days), are mostly overweight, overbearing in their behavior, having cheap local whisky on their breath and wanting to be reimbursed for their services with 1000 Bht + Bar-Fine, delivering mainly non-performance. (Approaching European price levels for same services).
How to kill a golden goose? (Or in this case the golden Ganders). See above.

I doubt you're an oil painting, mate.

1000THB? Approaching European levels??

Wake up