GBP Pound Continues to Take a Pounding

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Its all hard work with the forum hard brexiteers but soldier on we must. :burp:

..Can't argue with your technical descriptions, but the reality is that the pound have not changed in value by a jot, only the traders are pushing it up (or down on other occasions) to satisfy their ultra short term profit targets.  There is lots of software driven trading which exacerbates the situation,, but the the real value of the "pound in your pocket" has not changed. My goodness -- you're making me quote HW now :S

P.S. we're over here now....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/964149-uk-likely-to-have-“clean-break”-with-eu/#comment-11531838

Edited by jpinx

1 minute ago, jpinx said:

..Can't argue with your technical descriptions, but the reality is that the pound have not changed in value by a jot, only the traders are pushing it up (or down on other occasions) to satisfy their ultra short term profit targets.  There is lots of software driven trading which exacerbates the situation,, but the the real value of the "pound in your pocket" has not changed. My goodness -- you're making me quote HW now :S

Oh no! Sounding like Harold Wilson on The Pound In Your Pocket is so so sad but if it makes you happy, go for it.

13 minutes ago, YeahSiam said:

I don't give a toss whether you believe it or not, mate.

I've got nothing to prove to you or anyone else.

no need for any proof. but for the record it should be mentioned that precious metal lovers who boast about their holdings which they bought umpteen years ago conveniently overlook the fact that they lost yield and missed investment opportunities for umpteen years. and that especially in crisis times like 2008/2009. 

7 minutes ago, Naam said:

no need for any proof. but for the record it should be mentioned that precious metal lovers who boast about their holdings which they bought umpteen years ago conveniently overlook the fact that they lost yield and missed investment opportunities for umpteen years. and that especially in crisis times like 2008/2009. 

Perhaps but you're assuming that you're the only Thaivisa member who invests who understands the need for diversification in investment.

You're not.

Edited by YeahSiam

Like many here i also feel the Pound will recover up to 50 within 1-2 years. The EUSSR is clearly a flawed project and leaving it can only help Britain's economy.  We can trade with the world on our terms and certainly for the next 4 years we will have the USA helping us. If the EUSSR want to play games it will hurt them more than us.  Anyway most countries want a low value currency. It's not good for expats but helps the country in question. That's why the PIGS are in the shit because they have to suffer a high value Euro (to help Germany).

1 minute ago, Henryford said:

Like many here i also feel the Pound will recover up to 50 within 1-2 years. The EUSSR is clearly a flawed project and leaving it can only help Britain's economy.  We can trade with the world on our terms and certainly for the next 4 years we will have the USA helping us. If the EUSSR want to play games it will hurt them more than us.  Anyway most countries want a low value currency. It's not good for expats but helps the country in question. That's why the PIGS are in the shit because they have to suffer a high value Euro (to help Germany).

I like your optimism and damn hope you´ll be right. I´ve still got a significant amount of Pound Sterling back in the UK which I hope I won´t need to transfer over to TH at the current shi**y FOREX rates anytime soon. A 50+ exchange rate would certainly mean a substantial amount of "extra" TBH to spend over here. 

PS: The PIGS are not in the shi* because of the Euro. They´ve been in the **** for decades because of other factors, which to discuss here would be OT. Suffice to say that they (like all other non PIGS countries) have been spending more money than they "earned" and the Euro helped fueling that excessive binge spending by bringing down interest rates to a level they, the PIGS, would never have had the chance of borrowing money at when it was still the Lira, Drachme etc. How, as you say, a "high value" Euros helps an exporting nation like Germany, I don´t understand. But then again, I don´t pretend to be clever enough to grasp it all. You will surely know it better. 

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

keep on dreaming :smile:

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Steven says:

3 hours ago, Naam said:

keep on dreaming :smile:

Why is he dreaming ? Do you know something no one else does. UK will be a hell of a lot stronger without the Euro leeches bleeding it dry. And in a dam site stronger position than Europe to trade with the big powers. My only negative about it is we didn't cut the cord years ago.

2 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Why is he dreaming ? Do you know something no one else does. UK will be a hell of a lot stronger without the Euro leeches bleeding it dry. And in a dam site stronger position than Europe to trade with the big powers. My only negative about it is we didn't cut the cord years ago.

did you take the medication the good doctor prescribed?  :smile:

9 hours ago, DUS said:

The PIGS are not in the shi* because of the Euro. They´ve been in the **** for decades because of other factors, which to discuss here would be OT. Suffice to say that they (like all other non PIGS countries) have been spending more money than they "earned" and the Euro helped fueling that excessive binge spending by bringing down interest rates to a level they, the PIGS, would never have had the chance of borrowing money at when it was still the Lira, Drachme etc. How, as you say, a "high value" Euros helps an exporting nation like Germany, I don´t understand.

:thumbsup::clap2::thumbsup:

On 1/17/2017 at 5:49 PM, daveAustin said:

Jim who? If Scotland ever left the UK, suggesting that the pound would nosedive is laughable

Jim "who" is Jim Rogers.

he's the chap who brought in september 1992 together with George Soros the Bank of England to its knees. made 600 million dollars with that move :whistling:

On 1/18/2017 at 9:28 PM, Deepinthailand said:

Or compared to the start of your little graph on the 12th sterling rallying upwards again the Yankee dollar.

Sterling is due for further upward momentum Tuesday if the Supreme Court rules against the UK government.

9 minutes ago, meatboy said:

1st.round 8.15am.43.60 only 2more since 9.14am.43.65 ITS GOING THE RIGHT WAY.:smile:

You're going to worry yourself into an early grave MB, do the transfer and be done, you'll feel better for it afterwards.