How Much Does 1 Baht Of Gold Weigh ?

I guess you've seen the jewelers shop proces for 1 baht of gold.

I also get daily prices on 1 ounce of gold on dollars and pounds sterling. So I can make a comparision it would be good to know what 1 baht of gold weighs i grammes and fraction of an ounce.

If there is anything else you would like to add feel free. I'm assuming that to compare the spot gold price with the baht price in thai gold shops is a fair comparison - ie the gold is very close to being pure.

Cheers

Edited by Khun Bob

We could add that 1 oz = 31.15 grams.

And gold in thailand is 96.5 % pure (23 carats). In Europe, we use more 18 carats.

As you say, it's "fair" to compare with spot price USD for 1 ounce on world market : gold is gold.

This is why, it's useless to "negociate". Gold shop make their margin with the premium you pay for jewlery (the work).

Here is price for Thailand :

http://www.goldtraders.or.th/index_en.php

Last thing : hurry ! The gold is going up, up. :o

Thanks for the replies

So....

1 baht if gold is 15.2g or 0.488oz (0.48796147672552166934189406099518 more accurately given above data)

just curious. Does gold always get calculated as a troy pound in the papers? If not that will make a difference in the calculation per ounce.

Just a quick one (And a liitle bit off Topic) a friend of mine was buying some Gold for his Girlfriend and noticed a nice chunky Gold Chain that he thought would be good for him, Stared to negotiate with the Jeweller, then offered his "Argos-type" 9 Carrot Gold Chain as some of the price, honestly I could swear the gold merchant laughed before he said no thanks, not interested

Just a quick one (And a liitle bit off Topic) a friend of mine was buying some Gold for his Girlfriend and noticed a nice chunky Gold Chain that he thought would be good for him, Stared to negotiate with the Jeweller, then offered his "Argos-type" 9 Carrot Gold Chain as some of the price, honestly I could swear the gold merchant laughed before he said no thanks, not interested

Yes in the UK the most common jewelry sold is 9 carat. Try flogging that even over the water in France and you would be charged with fraud. 9 carat is only 9/24th "gold".

The history of this 9 carat is interesting. During the second world war the goverrnment needeed all the gold it could conserve to pay the Americans for guns. People however had to marry...war or no war so Churchill released some metal for wedding rings . The choice was unlimited platinum then a cheap metal without much use, or 9 carat gold. The lucky brides with foresight , now our grandparents, chose platinum which is now worth ten times 9 carat gold !!

Yup never touch 9k gold...... might as well be buying costume jewellery.

If you really want have a laugh then offer to buy your Thai Misses some 9k stuff and watch the face do all kinds of strange things as she trys to come to terms with the concept of owning farang gold :D:o

One thing I have never quite understood is they do an awful lot of business with 9k here but also set real good quality stones in it. :D

Now I just don't get why anyone would spend loads of money on "lets say a diamond cluster ring" set in 9K :D

• 9 months later...

I thought that the point of 9 carat is that the other metal in the ring or chain makes it much harder than high-carat gold would be. So it isn't soft enough to wear away.

However, as 'savings against a rainy day', the ring or chain is not such a good investment as getting out the gold means a costlier process.

Incidentally, I find that Thai gold shops don't trust each other. The good ones will buy back what they have themselves sold to you.

I thought that the point of 9 carat is that the other metal in the ring or chain makes it much harder than high-carat gold would be. So it isn't soft enough to wear away.

However, as 'savings against a rainy day', the ring or chain is not such a good investment as getting out the gold means a costlier process.

Incidentally, I find that Thai gold shops don't trust each other. The good ones will buy back what they have themselves sold to you.

hi before you all laugh :o ,

i bought a 24 carat gold ring in bkk on my first trip to los ( long time ago now ) i forgot all about it as i never fitted my finnger very well , when i moved here to live i asked my wife if she wanted it to sell or swop for gold she could where .... every shop she took it to said NO CHANCE 24 carat for export only ... i will have to sell when i leave los some time ... any1 else been told the same .??? ( cost 4 years ago 25,000 bt ) .....martyn....

that's a fairy tale Martin which is mostly spread in the U.S. of A. my wife owns since many years 24k gold jewelry such bracelets, necklaces and rings and never had a problem. only when precious stones are set the goldsmiths use 20-21k or lower (in rare cases which depend on the settings 22k).

quite some years ago i lived in Saudi Arabia where they would have chopped of a jeweller's hand if he sold anything below 18k and called it "gold".

If you really want have a laugh then offer to buy your Thai Misses some 9k stuff and watch the face do all kinds of strange things as she trys to come to terms with the concept of owning farang gold :D:o

i don't have a thai missus but i wouldn't dare to offer my old lady anything below 20k as i'd be afraid of the consequences (like hitting me over the head with the next hard object she can grab).

:D

There is a 24K gold sold here in Thailand for about the last five years or so using a new process and available in malls/department stores. This is not what is sold in gold shops and probably is mostly sold to tourists for export rather than local consumption. The gold in the red gold shops should all be of 23k but it is often reported that much is closer to 22k.

that's a fairy tale Martin which is mostly spread in the U.S. of A. my wife owns since many years 24k gold jewelry such bracelets, necklaces and rings and never had a problem. only when precious stones are set the goldsmiths use 20-21k or lower (in rare cases which depend on the settings 22k).

quite some years ago i lived in Saudi Arabia where they would have chopped of a jeweller's hand if he sold anything below 18k and called it "gold".

hi dr naam,

what i tell you is the truth as i know it .... i cant remember the shop name in bkk but its billed as ...THE BIGGEST JEWELRY SHOP IN THE WORLD...the taxi drivers take you there , the shop is very big ( as i say first time in los too much money very stupid ) i got the citificate ( sorry spelling ) saying 24 carat and how much i payed ..... now 4 years later i live udon thani .... my wife tryed 2 diffrent gold shops and they would not even value it for us never mind buy it .... its 1 ring but made from 8 i think called a puzzle ring ,

each part of ring has hallmarks....but after what you say now i,m puzzled .... :o

There is a 24K gold sold here in Thailand for about the last five years or so using a new process and available in malls/department stores. This is not what is sold in gold shops and probably is mostly sold to tourists for export rather than local consumption. The gold in the red gold shops should all be of 23k but it is often reported that much is closer to 22k.

Prima

Yup never touch 9k gold...... might as well be buying costume jewellery.

One thing I have never quite understood is they do an awful lot of business with 9k here but also set real good quality stones in it. :D

Now I just don't get why anyone would spend loads of money on "lets say a diamond cluster ring" set in 9K :D

did you know that 95 per cent of 9 and 18 carat gold sold in thailand is made in italy? true ,ask

yes you get a bit of that, have you seen them heat it up to check it ? frightening, makes me laugh, in the uk they dont like thai gold, they would rather buy a 9 ct ring for 100 pound that if you wanted to cash it up the next day it would be put on the scales and you would get a 10er for it ! hows that for depreciation ? :o

my wife tryed 2 diffrent gold shops and they would not even value it for us never mind buy it .... its 1 ring but made from 8 i think called a puzzle ring ,

each part of ring has hallmarks....but after what you say now i,m puzzled .... biggrin.gif

most of the jewelry of my wife was manufactured in Thailand based on my own designs over more than 20 years (when i visited as a tourist). i never had a problem giving some design wise outdated stuff as part-payment to the jeweller. gold content was checked (takes a few minutes) and the daily price of gold applied.

p.s. i always used the same shop (Pattaya) which has its own goldsmiths and i spent quite some time watching their work with great interest.

did you know that 95 per cent of 9 and 18 carat gold sold in thailand is made in italy? true ,ask

Yep this is very true - any plated or 3 coloured gold in Thailand is Italian, most of the diamonds are imported also.

Also the gold for sale in Thailand isn't of that high purity - I think the people here saying 22k are closer. Bring your Thai gold to Laos and compare the colour in the morning market shops here. I am not saying its crap but Thailand doesn't have a huge amount of gold mines for all this gold to appear from (1 to be precise)!

Laos on the other hand has several gold mines and another one starting next year - the gold here 99% pure. You can buy and sell to any shops here by weight.

Bought a 2 baat bracelet for the wife yesterday for her birthday. Personally I am of a believer of only buying high quality jewellery or pure gold.

Anyone who wastes money on 'white' gold are a fool unto themselves! The need for replating every so many months is just a total waste of effort - yes it looks good freshly plated but give it a month and it looks crap again! Platinum you can't go wrong with always looks brilliant white is stronger than gold and value wise . . . well you pay for what you get but the value will only go up.

Anyone who wastes money on 'white' gold are a fool unto themselves! The need for replating every so many months is just a total waste of effort - yes it looks good freshly plated but give it a month and it looks crap again!

hmmm... what name does one call somebody who claims that white gold is "plated"?

Anyone who wastes money on 'white' gold are a fool unto themselves! The need for replating every so many months is just a total waste of effort - yes it looks good freshly plated but give it a month and it looks crap again!

hmmm... what name does one call somebody who claims that white gold is "plated"?

Hmmmm .... how about intelligent? Or just somebody who knows about gold? Why don't you read about rhodium plating and find out - so maybe if the topic crops up again you might not look quite so stupid.

Just as a hint - it is industry standard to plate all white gold jewellery with a rhodium finish to give it the ultra shiny look people desire. Or did you think they buffed 'white' gold to that kind of shine you see in the shops? :o

Personally I would never buy white gold and out of all the shops around Tiffany's platinum range is absolutely faultless and well worth the money. 'White' gold is just a platinum wannabe and in 50 years time platinum will still look immaculate and still have a brilliant shine regardless of upkeep.

Hmmmm .... how about intelligent? Or just somebody who knows about gold? Why don't you read about rhodium plating and find out - so maybe if the topic crops up again you might not look quite so stupid.

Just as a hint - it is industry standard to plate all white gold jewellery with a rhodium finish to give it the ultra shiny look people desire. Or did you think they buffed 'white' gold to that kind of shine you see in the shops? :o

i agree that i must be stupid because i never realized a deterioration of my white gold watch which i am wearing since 28 years. the same goes for some of my wife's jewelry from the early eighties when it was in fashion. it must be also my stupidity not assuming that in all countries white gold is rhodium plated to make it look shiny for stupid tourists visiting Thailand. utterly stupid must be my assumption that "good" white gold is a mixture of gold and palladium or gold and platinum.

to sum it up: it's always nice being in contact with intelligent people who educate fools like me.

:D

• 3 years later...

This is why, it's useless to "negociate". Gold shop make their margin with the premium you pay for jewlery (the work).

They also make about 5% on the buy/sell difference, and even more if they are buying gold from a different gold shop.

They also make about 5% on the buy/sell difference, and even more if they are buying gold from a different gold shop.

are there people stupid enough to buy jewelry for investment purposes with up to 5% difference in buy/sell price? goldbars have a negligible difference of just 100 Baht per Baht weight.

are there people stupid enough to buy jewelry for investment purposes with up to 5% difference in buy/sell price? goldbars have a negligible difference of just 100 Baht per Baht weight.

Some people like to wear it rather than stick it in a safe.

^indeed Tropo! Not an investment, just sentimental value.

Of course it is an investment. If I sold 1 baht of gold jewelry I bought in 2006, I would have made 8000 baht on a 10000 baht purchase - just about doubled my money.