Why do so many Thai people have skin problems?

cerox

On 11/10/2016 at 3:22 PM, kenk24 said:

I do not remember serious acne being in any way near as prevalent many years ago - - [30-40] - - but now, I do see so many bad cases, particularly heartbreaking amongst teenagers and young adults...

I do not know the causes but can venture a guess as to it being in some way hormonal and maybe combine that iwth the fast food that previous generations were not exposed to... 

Does anyone know if there is an easy, relatively inexpensive fix for any of this? And even if there is something that works? I know there are skin clinics that can charge up to 60,000 baht and say they can cure it in 6 months - is that true? Anyone ever seen a successful case? 

Yes there are a couple of highly effective and relatively inexpensive treatments available from any qualified doctor.  The first is conventional antibiotics, and the second Roaccutane.

Most teenage acne is self limiting.

I really don't know what people are going on about if I'm honest, and some of the suggestions as causes are also a bit laughable.

Essentially acne is a sub-clinical skin condition caused by the over-production of sebum, which then clogs a skin pore, allowing bacteria to thrive underneath.  It is linked to hormones, thus bodybuilders on steroids can suffer from it, as can women on the pill. 

23 hours ago, hydraides said:

I've noticed this alot too, sometimes you see thais with REALLY bad skin diseases, where their skin pigment has turned Pink. Anyone know why this is?

I've been in thailand a few months (now moved to bangkok for a month or so) and have been coming out with a breakout of 5-10spots on my face/back. when I've maybe only had 1 spot per month in the UK or so.

So its either

1) The pollution in bangkok causing blocked pores?

2) More concerning would be if boiled tap water that im using is causing it....from metals or something?

3) The heat and humidity leads to blocked pores from sweat maybe

I get more spots than usual in hot weather.  It's sebum that blocks pores, and then bacteria has a bit of a feeding frenzy in the anaerobic conditions in which they thrive.  The spot then develops rather like a volcano.  Maybe we produce more protective oil (sebum) in hot conditions due to increased hormonal activity: you know what they say about the tropics!

Archived