Why do so many Thai people have skin problems?

cerox

Hello guys,

I've been living in Thailand for six months and one thing I noticed is that many Thai's have skin problems with their face, what I mean are pimples etc. I also noticed that foreigners do not have this problem (always talking about the majority) - farangs, Chinese, Japanese etc. do not have this problem.

I was thinking if it could be the weather, but this does not make sense, since all the long-term expats do not have such problems. I also noticed that it might be simply a money problem and it is mainly the "working class Thai people" who have this problem - I don't mean those who are exposed to the sun, but low qualification work in malls as well etc.  Also I want to say it is not about age, so I'm not talking about teenagers, but many people between 25 and 50 as well.

My idea was could it be that these people are lacking vitamins, minerals etc. because with 10k THB monthly there is no money leftover to buy fruit, or essential facial wash etc.

I think many of you guys have lived here much longer than me and this question maybe already crossed your mind. Please let me know what you think the source of the problem is and share your thoughts.

Probably the chemicals in all those 'whitening' creams. 

Best way to take care of your skin is to only wash it with warm water. No soap, no creams, no nothing. 

Oh and I do notice that many people have scar tissue from teen acne. That's because they are taught to squeeze the pimple. So bad. 

Actually skin cancer is almost unknown here in Thailand - so much so it is difficult for us foreigners to obtain qualified treatment so we must be talking about mostly cosmetic conditions.  Perhaps the whitening fad and traditional need for makeup might be a factor.  Do not believe there is any lack of fruit eating by any portion of society.

In my 4 decades here have not made OP observations. 

I have also noticed this, especially in the south, but think it's an Asian thing in general. Clogged pores/washing with harsh soaps, eating all that oily food? Some will eat food cooked in old oil for every meal... and not necessarily a poor thing, likely more convenience. Can't be good.

Hey guys,

many thanks for so many quick replies and interesting thoughts.

I'm not sure how the street food stalls here do their rice - if they use big rice cookers like at home with water or (I heard) do they use oil? My farangs I know here and myself included go to street food regularly and we have no acne problems, so I'm not sure if that is a reason for it.

The whitening and powder idea is good. All cream here has whitening - even the one I use now, because I couldn't find any without lol

There is one other thing. The younger ones <25 sometimes you see them walking in the malls with their "doctor's mask" . Sometimes I'm not sure if it is fashion, but some people wear it when they are embarrassed about their face, even with no acne.

I do not remember serious acne being in any way near as prevalent many years ago - - [30-40] - - but now, I do see so many bad cases, particularly heartbreaking amongst teenagers and young adults...

I do not know the causes but can venture a guess as to it being in some way hormonal and maybe combine that iwth the fast food that previous generations were not exposed to... 

Does anyone know if there is an easy, relatively inexpensive fix for any of this? And even if there is something that works? I know there are skin clinics that can charge up to 60,000 baht and say they can cure it in 6 months - is that true? Anyone ever seen a successful case? 

Hi kenk24,

many thanks for this great reply. I also noticed that the older generation here in Thailand does not have these problems. As you say mainly <30, but I also see many people between 30 and 50 with these problems now.

I don't have any of these problems myself, but it's always interesting to learn about the country and it's one thing I noticed here in the past few months what I haven't seen so severe in other countries.

Whitening creams and powder seems more likely than fast food, because I've never seen these proportions in the West and they eat more fastfood :) But it could be street fast food if you mean that, like french fries they do on the food stalls onthe street - the price is low and needs to be competitive, so they cannot change the oil etc.

For someone who suffers from this, Ithink it should really be solved by understanding the source of the problem. Any clinic might help, but for how long until it comes back...

I agree, many do have acne pretty bad, you only have to look at all the bikers at the lights squeezing them. The other thing that seems to very prevalent are all the limps, seems bike riding has a lot of consequences.

I believe all the harsh soaps ruin their skin. I'm amazed at how Thai women wash their face with a lot of soap lather and vigorous scrubbing and then mask their faces with powder and during the day lot's of make up.

With all the advertising that is bombarding them day in and day out on products with ridiculous claims of beauty and whiteness which most are not passed by the FDA.

I am told sperm is a good skin conditioner especially for the face. Tried to tell the wife that, got in a slight discussion about being sick in the head then "bingo" a doctor on Thai TV (not here but channel 7 I think) said the same.

i am tempted to talk about "face" but I will stop here.

Interesting tartempion, I'm in CM where I see it very prevalent. With the food was one idea because the workers who only earn 10k per month cannot afford more than 3 street food meals per day. I eat fruit three times daily which I buy in the supermarket, but how do you afford 1-2k (10-20%) of your salary if you earn that money. So that was one thought, because I noticed as soon as people here have a better income it seems less prevalent.

One thing about Thai food I think too much rice is not good. Whenever I eat Thai food three times per day (rice or noodles) I get problems with the digestion. So what I usually do is eating cereal for breakfast and Thai food for lunch and dinner - no problems.

On 10/11/2016 at 2:55 AM, lopburi3 said:

Actually skin cancer is almost unknown here in Thailand - so much so it is difficult for us foreigners to obtain qualified treatment so we must be talking about mostly cosmetic conditions.  Perhaps the whitening fad and traditional need for makeup might be a factor.  Do not believe there is any lack of fruit eating by any portion of society.

Unknown to you, but not uncommon. Thais present in different fashion than westerners. Also it can be misdiagnosed.

Skin cancer is not uncommon in Thailand. The age-specific incidence rate (ASR) is 3.4 in male and 3.3 per 100 000 in female. Generally, skin cancer is more common in male than female. The highest incidence is the reported rate of Songkhla (ASR 5.2, male). The lowest incidence is in Nakhon Phanom report. (Figure 2.12.1) Basal and squamous cell carcinomas are more common than melanoma. Basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma account for 23.4-60% and 20-61.4% of all skin cancers, respectively, in various registries. 

Source:  SKIN AND MELANOMA ICD-10 C43-C44 Krittika Suwanrungruang, M.Sc. Supot Kamsa-ard, M.P.H., National Cancer Institute of Thailand.

I  suspect what you mean is that the multiple melanomas common  to northern origin westerners (including  Australians) is not as prevalent in Thailand. In that regard, you do have a point. Unfortunately, we really don't know if it is because it is rare or if it is just unreported.  I direct your attention to Doctors  Payapvipapong  and Kanechorn-Na-Ayuthaya  writing in the Thai Journal of Medical Science  2014; 97 (Suppl. 2): S234-S238 stated that  "the incidence of MPM in Thailand has not been documented". This means that no one really knows for sure because the incidence is not tracked.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2016 at 5:55 PM, lopburi3 said:

yes thais stay out of the sun...  they fear the sun.. no way they are getting skin cancer hahahah

• 1 year later...

I've noticed this alot too, sometimes you see thais with REALLY bad skin diseases, where their skin pigment has turned Pink. Anyone know why this is?

I've been in thailand a few months (now moved to bangkok for a month or so) and have been coming out with a breakout of 5-10spots on my face/back. when I've maybe only had 1 spot per month in the UK or so.

So its either

1) The pollution in bangkok causing blocked pores?

2) More concerning would be if boiled tap water that im using is causing it....from metals or something?

3) The heat and humidity leads to blocked pores from sweat maybe

Archived