Transfer visa extension to second passport

I currently carry two full British passports (due to previous work requirements).

My Non-immigrant O visa and my two one year extensions are all in my passport which is almost full and expires in 2018. My second passport is almost empty and expires in 2025.

So Is there any problem transferring the extension from my full passport to my newer one when my full passport is almost expired??. Do i need to transfer the Non-Imm O visa stamp

as well as the retirement extension ??, or will they just transfer the last immigration extension into my other passport ??.

I have the letter from UK embassy and the two forms for immigration, just a little unsure as to the procedure when both passports are valid?/

regards

Immigration will not transfer stamps from a valid passport to another valid passport.

You would have to have your passport with the extension stamps in it canceled in order to do it. Not sure the UK embassy can do it or not.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration will not transfer stamps from a valid passport to another valid passport.

You would have to have your passport with the extension stamps in it canceled in order to do it. Not sure the UK embassy can do it or not.

I believe I can just go to the trendy building and get the older passport cancelled.

1 minute ago, Fithman said:

I think you will find that the Trendy employees have no authority to cancel a passport.

Last time I went there, with an expired passport, they gave me my new one and cut / stamped my old one cancelled as I waited. So I think you will find that someone behind that counter does indeed have that authority.

4 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Last time I went there, with an expired passport, they gave me my new one and cut / stamped my old one cancelled as I waited. So I think you will find that someone behind that counter does indeed have that authority.

Whatever you say/believe.  Please post an update when you have had the passport cancelled at Trendy.

Trendy staff cut the corners of passports which have been invalidated by HMPO in the UK

Edited by Fithman

2 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Whatever you say/believe.  Please post an update when you have had the passport cancelled at Trendy.

Trendy staff cut the corners of passports which have been invalidated by HMPO in the UK

So you are saying I would need to contact the British embassy here and have them cancel the passport first ??

Or, problem solved, all I have to do is cut the corners off myself and no-one in Thai immigration would know any difference ??

1 minute ago, Seismic said:

So you are saying I would need to contact the British embassy here and have them cancel the passport first ??

Or, problem solved, all I have to do is cut the corners off myself and no-one in Thai immigration would know any difference ??

The BE will not cancel your passport !  

You perhaps are aware that it is a criminal offence to deliberately deface a current, valid passport.

Just now, Fithman said:

The BE will not cancel your passport !  

You perhaps are aware that it is a criminal offence to deliberately deface a current, valid passport.

So, how do i get my current passport cancelled / Invalidated, so that I can go to the Thai immigration and transfer my extension to my second passport ??

1 minute ago, Seismic said:

So, how do i get my current passport cancelled / Invalidated, so that I can go to the Thai immigration and transfer my extension to my second passport ??

General enquiries

HM Passport Office 
PO Box 767 
SOUTHPORT 

PR8 9PW

Contact formhttps://eforms.homeoff...

Telephone0300 222 0000

2 minutes ago, Seismic said:

I suggest you contact Trendy or the UK passport office to find out how to do it.

Just now, Fithman said:

General enquiries

HM Passport Office 
PO Box 767 
SOUTHPORT 

PR8 9PW

Telephone0300 222 0000

the part with contact formhttps://eforms.homeoff...      hasnt been fully printed.

7 minutes ago, Fithman said:

General enquiries

HM Passport Office 
PO Box 767 
SOUTHPORT 

PR8 9PW

Telephone0300 222 0000

Or, could i simply wait until the passport has expired and then go to Thai immigration and have the extension of stay transferred ??

56 minutes ago, Seismic said:

So Is there any problem transferring the extension from my full passport to my newer one when my full passport is almost expired??.

I don't see why they couldn't transfer your permit to stay from a full passport to another passport even if they are both valid. The only way to get a definitive answer to your question would be to visit your local immigration office and ask them.

Rather than getting your full passport cancelled I would have thought it would be better to apply to renew it so that you keep two passports. Once you have the replacement you would have no problem getting the stamps transferred.

Just now, elviajero said:

I don't see why they couldn't transfer your permit to stay from a full passport to another passport even if they are both valid. The only way to get a definitive answer to your question would be to visit your local immigration office and ask them.

Rather than getting your full passport cancelled I would have thought it would be better to apply to renew it so that you keep two passports. Once you have the replacement you would have no problem getting the stamps transferred.

Both my passports are Full 10 year British passports. British passports are not 'renewed'. When your passport is full or close to expire you apply for a new one, at that point the original one is invalidated by the UK passport authority. In my case, as I am now retired I no longer meet the conditions to hold two full British passports. hence why i would like to transfer to my other passport which still has 8 years validity.

11 minutes ago, Seismic said:

Both my passports are Full 10 year British passports. British passports are not 'renewed'. When your passport is full or close to expire you apply for a new one, at that point the original one is invalidated by the UK passport authority. In my case, as I am now retired I no longer meet the conditions to hold two full British passports. hence why i would like to transfer to my other passport which still has 8 years validity.

If you have an existing passport you are 'renewing'. The application asks if you are applying for a first passport or renewing an existing passport or replacing a lost or damaged passport. A passport that is full is classed as a renewal. The existing passport isn't cancelled until the new passport is issued.

I have two British passports and renewed the first when it was full. They issued a new passport and didn't want any evidence/reason for continuing to hold two passports. They only cancelled the passport being renewed.

If you don't need two passports anymore then talk to immigration and they will tell you what you need to do to get the stamps transferred. 

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

If you have an existing passport you are 'renewing'. The application asks if you are applying for a first passport or renewing an existing passport or replacing a lost or damaged passport. A passport that is full is classed as a renewal. The existing passport isn't cancelled until the new passport is issued.

I have two British passports and renewed the first when it was full. They issued a new passport and didn't want any evidence/reason for continuing to hold two passports. They only cancelled the passport being renewed.

If you don't need two passports anymore then talk to immigration and they will tell you what you need to do to get the stamps transferred. 

I have had two full British passports for 32 years, in every instance when renewing I have had to supply a company letter certifying that it was necessary for my job, I have also had to show both passports (when renewal was at the British Embassy) and provide complete copies of both passports (When renewal was at VFS). I also know this has been the case for everyone I have worked with who has had two British passports.

this link adequately describes the process. http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/2014/03/25/getting-a-second-uk-passport/

Edited by Seismic
added verifying link.

3 hours ago, Seismic said:

I have had two full British passports for 32 years, in every instance when renewing I have had to supply a company letter certifying that it was necessary for my job, I have also had to show both passports (when renewal was at the British Embassy) and provide complete copies of both passports (When renewal was at VFS). I also know this has been the case for everyone I have worked with who has had two British passports.

this link adequately describes the process. http://pointstobemade.boardingarea.com/2014/03/25/getting-a-second-uk-passport/

I'm well aware of the process for applying for a second passport, but we are talking about renewing an existing passport, not applying for a second, so I don't see the point of your link.

I have only renewed one of my two passports once, which was 3 years ago through the IPS in Hong Kong, and I can assure you that they did not require copies of the other passport or a new company letter. Maybe that has changed since they moved the processing to Bangkok.

6 hours ago, Fithman said:

I think you will find that the Trendy employees have no authority to cancel a passport.

I did receive a new PP at Trendy a few weeks ago and my previous PP was cancelled at the moment when I received my new PP and my old PP was cancelled by way of Trendy employees cutting a corner off my old PP .

The cutting off of the corner invalidated my old PP .

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

I did receive a new PP at Trendy a few weeks ago and my previous PP was cancelled at the moment when I received my new PP and my old PP was cancelled by way of Trendy employees cutting a corner off my old PP .

The cutting off of the corner invalidated my old PP .

Your previous passport was cancelled by HMPO when  your application for a new visa was received in the UK.

Trendy had nothing to do with cancelling your passport but you can believe what you wish.

9 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Your previous passport was cancelled by HMPO when  your application for a new visa was received in the UK.

It wasnt , I applied for a new passport and it was at Trendy for one month waiting for me to collect it and I used my old PP to  and get a new visa a few weeks after I had applied for the new PP .

Also , four years ago when I applied for a new PP, they didnt cut the corner off the old one , so I used the old PP until it was completely full, whilst holding my new passport .

I dont think that the HMPO cancels passports when you renew and they certainly do not cancel when you apply, otherwise you would be in a Country without any legal travel documents, which would make you in that Country illegally 

Four years ago I left Thailand on my "cancelled" nearly full Passport whilst holding my new passport , went across to Myanmar, got stamped into Myanmar on my new passport and then came back to Thailand on my new passport about ten minutes later , so both passports were valid and usable

11 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I dont think that the HMPO cancels passports when you renew and they certainly do not cancel when you apply

Wrong !  

"You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes."

Check the HMPO website.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

13 minutes ago, Fithman said:

Wrong !  

"You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes."

Check the HMPO website.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Well considering that Ive used both an old passport and also my new passport on the same day , it seems that you can atually use a old pp after you have applied for a new one

Straight answer to the original question...The Jomtien soi 5 office would not transfer a current visa to my 2nd passport.....did not even want to look at it or disuss the request.

it was probably all too much bother and made her head hurt and the lady was busy eating a bowl soup at the time so was other wise distracted.....have you ever noticed massage ladies never whine out "maaassaaaage!" when they are all grazing outside the place.... same same

I'm interested how this turns out for the op as I will be in a similar situation in time. I'm guessing if he cannot renew  his existing nearly full pp with visa  extension in it because of no company letter requesting two passports then he leaves Thailand and comes back in on other pp?

On 12/10/2016 at 0:02 AM, elviajero said:

I'm well aware of the process for applying for a second passport, but we are talking about renewing an existing passport, not applying for a second, so I don't see the point of your link.

I have only renewed one of my two passports once, which was 3 years ago through the IPS in Hong Kong, and I can assure you that they did not require copies of the other passport or a new company letter. Maybe that has changed since they moved the processing to Bangkok.

The [process of renewing a passport IF you carry 2 valid passports is exactly the same as the link i provided.