Seminar: Long-stay Challenges

Lizard2010

Will be interesting to see how this meeting goes

If the CEC Or the Moderators have a problem please remove

Seminar: "Long-stay Challenges"

Empress map

The Empress Hotel is on Chang Klan Road. Click on the image to view a larger map.

Chiang Mai Expats Club (CEC) received an invitation:

It has come to the attention of various Thai government agencies and officials and our Consulates and Embassies that expats living in Chiang Mai and the Northern region are encountering problems regarding their long-stay here and the inconveniences experienced
when extending their visas.

With this in mind, the Governor of Lampang is graciously arranging a seminar and would like to invite some expats to attend. It will be held on October 21, 2016 from 8.30 am - 4.30 pm at Chiang Mai room, the Convention Center, Empress Hotel, on Chang Klan Road, Chiang Mai. The entire seminar is free of charge including lunch and two breaks for snacks and coffee.

Empress

The Empress Hotel is on Chang Klan Road. Click on the image to view a map to the hotel.

The organizer of this seminar, Chiang Mai Meeting Incentive Conventions & Exhibition Company, has asked CEC to select some of its members to attend this seminar as representatives of CEC. Members of other expat organizations are being invited, as well, and translation will be provided in English, Japanese and Korean.

tnews 1431501053 8755

H.E. Kobharn Wattanavrangkul, Minister of Tourism & Sports of Thailand will present the opening speech on Friday, 21st October.

The objective of this seminar is for expats to meet and discuss matters about the entire problem, so that the government can, hopefully, make necessary changes to the appropriate laws and regulations, in order to provide long-stay expats a pleasant, convenient, happy and enjoyable stay here.

The Ministry of Tourism is in charge of all matters concerning long-stay expats. Consequently, the Minister of Tourism will be at this event. She will present the opening speech and will inform you about what the government is thinking and considering regarding long-stay. Other high-ranking government officials, including the Chief Immigration Officer, will also be present. The Governor of Chiang Mai will also be at the event.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reminds me of how in Washington DC they used to send notices to those with warrants, telling them to report to the Convention Center to claim their prize....all "winners" were arrested.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1985/12/16/football-party-proves-a-bust/6b356b0b-babb-454c-8aa4-8ad59753dc34/

...."They went for it hook, line, and sinker.".....

I wonder why the Governor of Lampang is the one organising it .

The company organising it (C-Mice) seems to have a long portfolio of promoting the north  with agricultural/handicraft/ border trade etc.

I wonder if the private enterprise vs govt, head on collision has been spotted.

Lets hope something positive comes out of this meet up.Why it has been initiated by the Governor of Lamapang is surprising.

Anything positive that can be achieved is welcome.Lets face it over the last few years it been one step forward and 3 back.

I don't think anyone wants Immigration to fawn over us just equal respect and commonsense to prevail, that includes elimination of this endless paperwork.

Is is this an invitation only seminar or an open to all seminar? It would seem to be invitation only ?

However with a few expats and a whole heap of govt officials I'm not sure how a discussion can progress. Who has been invited so far ?

Ed, I've just spend half an hour trying to figure out how to do a pretty screen shot like you did with the OP to include the REST of the announcement. The OP creates the impression that the seminar is open to the public and it's not.

Here is the text of the balance of the CEC announcement.  Could you be so kind as to do a pretty screenshot with that nice pretty flag graphic and include it also.  I have to turn in a list of all the invited attendees in advance and anyone who isn't on the list will be turned away.  If you'd like to be considered in the allocation of spaces given to CEC, please contact me.

In order to be considered for selection as a representative of Chiang Mai Expats Club at this event, you must be willing to dress and conduct yourself appropriately since you will be representing CEC and able to commit to attend the entire day (sorry, but please don’t come if you must leave early – it’s not fair to those not selected to attend.)

Since we have a limited number of seats allocated to CEC, please indicate your interest by return email before Monday, 17th October. Please let us know: 
1. Your nationality 
2. Type of visa 
3. Length of time in Chiang Mai 
4. If you’ve lived elsewhere in Thailand 
5. Reasons you’d like to attend this seminar 
6. Contact phone number

We’ve been asked to select people from a variety of countries and since space is limited, we cannot grant permission for all applicants to attend. We appreciate your understanding that this is not an open public meeting, due to space limitations. Please do not come unless you receive an email notice confirming your attendance.

12 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Is is this an invitation only seminar or an open to all seminar? It would seem to be invitation only ?

However with a few expats and a whole heap of govt officials I'm not sure how a discussion can progress. Who has been invited so far ?

It's my understanding that about 100 people will be invited to attend.  The various foreign Consuls received invitations and can invite some of their nationals.  The expat clubs are also receiving an allotment of of seats, as well. 

4 hours ago, neilrob said:

This is a very interesting development---I hope something good comes of it. I suspect it is a reaction to the excellent and hard hitting article on the topic of immigration problems in City Life.

Not wishing to put a downer on things, but is Thai immigration really interested in us expats apart from how much money they can get from us

and making us jump through so many unnecessary hoops?

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Not wishing to put a downer on things, but is Thai immigration really interested in us expats apart from how much money they can get from us

When they read comments like yours i wonder how they keep their cool with us.Maybe they read TVF on Sundays for a laugh,then realize on Monday that the farang in front of them slags them off from behind the protection of a keyboard.And said farang is now all fake smiles and bs wais.Talk about hypicrites.

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

When they read comments like yours i wonder how they keep their cool with us.Maybe they read TVF on Sundays for a laugh,then realize on Monday that the farang in front of them slags them off from behind the protection of a keyboard.And said farang is now all fake smiles and bs wais.Talk about hypicrites.

Agreed, the slamming of the Immigration Police on this forum over the years is disgraceful and represents the immaturity and ignorance of the posters.

Ditto to the last two posts. The fact that they (including the Immigration Chief) are willing to talk about the problems we're experiencing here in Chiang Mai seems to me to be only a positive development that very well might lead to improved services for us all.  

I am only calling it as I see it, and I am not hiding behind a keyboard, I would be happy to meet any Immigration officer and

tell them my thoughts, in a nice way of course.

I would never say anything to anybody from behind a keyboard that I would not say to their face.

This applies to you too Dante99.

A forum like this is for posters to give their opinions as long as they are civil about it.

17 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

Agreed, the slamming of the Immigration Police on this forum over the years is disgraceful and represents the immaturity and ignorance of the posters.

Just wait and see if you feel the same after being extorted for 2000 baht (as I was by the Immigration supervisor at HKT).

1 hour ago, cruisemonkey said:

Just wait and see if you feel the same after being extorted for 2000 baht (as I was by the Immigration supervisor at HKT).

In 30 years I have never been extorted by them or any other Thai government official and doubt I will be.  Also a 2000 Baht expense would not be worthy of emotion let alone comment.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

In 30 years I have never been extorted by them or any other Thai government official and doubt I will be.  Also a 2000 Baht expense would not be worthy of emotion let alone comment.

You are now in Year Zero.

2 hours ago, Dante99 said:

1 hour ago, Enoon said:

You are now in Year Zero.

and bullett proof

8 hours ago, NancyL said:

Ed, I've just spend half an hour trying to figure out how to do a pretty screen shot like you did with the OP to include the REST of the announcement. The OP creates the impression that the seminar is open to the public and it's not.

Here is the text of the balance of the CEC announcement.  Could you be so kind as to do a pretty screenshot with that nice pretty flag graphic and include it also.  I have to turn in a list of all the invited attendees in advance and anyone who isn't on the list will be turned away.  If you'd like to be considered in the allocation of spaces given to CEC, please contact me.

In order to be considered for selection as a representative of Chiang Mai Expats Club at this event, you must be willing to dress and conduct yourself appropriately since you will be representing CEC and able to commit to attend the entire day (sorry, but please don’t come if you must leave early – it’s not fair to those not selected to attend.)

Since we have a limited number of seats allocated to CEC, please indicate your interest by return email before Monday, 17th October. Please let us know: 
1. Your nationality 
2. Type of visa 
3. Length of time in Chiang Mai 
4. If you’ve lived elsewhere in Thailand 
5. Reasons you’d like to attend this seminar 
6. Contact phone number

We’ve been asked to select people from a variety of countries and since space is limited, we cannot grant permission for all applicants to attend. We appreciate your understanding that this is not an open public meeting, due to space limitations. Please do not come unless you receive an email notice confirming your attendance.

Fingers crossed there will be a positive outcome. Just wondering what the end result was from a couple of similar meetings , one of which was held at The Empress last year, or maybe the year before? I attended the first one but was unable to make it to the follow-up meeting and that, SADLY was the Last I heard on the matter.

Ah well, at least someone is willing to open the lines of communication.

I am sorry i should have made clear with my original post

I think i need to make this clear

This is only for invited partys

For people who are represented by a Expat groups

Not for individual people

Hopefully there will be as many groups as possible to attend

From as many countries as possible

The Minister must have had reports back

That it was embarrassing what has been happening in Chiang Mai

Hopefully next year after the new building is completed that things might change

We can only but hope

9 hours ago, Torrens54 said:

Fingers crossed there will be a positive outcome. Just wondering what the end result was from a couple of similar meetings , one of which was held at The Empress last year, or maybe the year before? I attended the first one but was unable to make it to the follow-up meeting and that, SADLY was the Last I heard on the matter.

Ah well, at least someone is willing to open the lines of communication.

Yes, there have been several meetings on this subject and on the broader subject of what the Thai government can do to make Northern Thailand more attractive for what they call "long stay tourism".  The amount of time, effort and money that's gone into organizing these meetings has been big and have involved many Thai government and non-government agencies.  

At times, it's been very frustrating to attend because the recommendations from the expats of all nationalities are always the same:  give good access to services at CM Immigration, streamline regulations concerning long-stay visas to eliminate redundant reporting, change property ownership regulations for foreigners, permit long-stay foreigners to work or at least volunteer easily, improve handicap access and public transportation in the city, eliminate the seasonal air quality problem, etc, etc.  And usually there are additional recommendations about granting foreigners access to the Thai 30 baht health insurance program at a reasonable rate and implementing long-term (5 year) visas.

Everything is politely and duly noted and it seems nothing ever changes.

However, it does appear that some of this input is "trickling upward".  Also, it seems that the many complaints to Consulates and Embassies about inhumane treatment at Chiang Mai Immigration and unequal treatment at our province's Immigration office (when compared to other provinces) may also have been noticed.  A few expats have figured out just who is ultimately in charge, too, and written intelligent, well-documented letters to them, too. With a willingness to sign their name, address, phone number, etc.  Kudos.  

19 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I go down to Nakhon Sawan (125km each way) once a year in July with all my paperwork and a few more that I may or may not need and spend about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish to complete my retirement extension. I sit in the air conditioned office waiting area  where there is free coffee and a cold/hot water machine and even free sweeties.

All the front office ladies speak English to some degree and they are farang friendly, unless you go in there with an attitude and a loud mouth. They check my paperwork and then I get called over to do my part, pay them the 1,900 baht and go away for another year.

I also do my 90 day reports there though mate has managed to do his last one online but I was unable to do so so I will trundle off down there next week. I don't find many unnecessary hoops and in some 18 years of reporting I haven't been asked for any "extra fees". Perhaps the Immigration staff think that I am just a poor but handsome farang and take pity on me. They are right of course as I am poor but very handsome.

There is a new office which is just outside Khampaeng Phet but it is not open for business yet and when it is that is where I will be reporting to.

4 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I go down to Nakhon Sawan (125km each way) once a year in July with all my paperwork and a few more that I may or may not need and spend about 1 1/2 hours from start to finish to complete my retirement extension. I sit in the air conditioned office waiting area  where there is free coffee and a cold/hot water machine and even free sweeties.

All the front office ladies speak English to some degree and they are farang friendly, unless you go in there with an attitude and a loud mouth. They check my paperwork and then I get called over to do my part, pay them the 1,900 baht and go away for another year.

I also do my 90 day reports there though mate has managed to do his last one online but I was unable to do so so I will trundle off down there next week. I don't find many unnecessary hoops and in some 18 years of reporting I haven't been asked for any "extra fees". Perhaps the Immigration staff think that I am just a poor but handsome farang and take pity on me. They are right of course as I am poor but very handsome.

There is a new office which is just outside Khampaeng Phet but it is not open for business yet and when it is that is where I will be reporting to.

I agree about the Nakhon Sawan Immigration office Bill, but why should I be forced to go to Phitsanulok IO when the one at Nakhon Sawan is much closer

to my home? Another thing, you are not as poor or handsome as me.

18 hours ago, Dante99 said:

Also a 2000 Baht expense would not be worthy of emotion let alone comment.

So, you wouldn't get emotional or comment if you were walking down the street and an armed robber took 2000 baht from you... because it's only a small "expense"?

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

The thing is that you have create some sort of fiction that you live at an address in Nakhon Sawan province and have a TM30 tied to that residence, even if you spend most your time in Chiang Mai province.  Maybe you have in-laws there or a second home.  But for many of us, our primary and ONLY residence in Thailand is in Chiang Mai.

Archived