Government v Parliament: Britain’s Brexit battle goes to court

webfact

A crowd-funded project to prosecute politicians for “lying” during the EU referendum campaign has raised over £175,000 and now wants to see dishonest politicians jailed, the project’s founder has told The Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-eu-referendum-brexit-justice-legal-case-dishonest-lying-politicians-a7362096.html

Now this is a great idea, which should not be limited to politicians who are accused of lying during the referendum.

It is a policy that should be adopted immediately and will provide instantaneous contracts to build at least 2 prison facilities.

There is only one way to bring the disrepute of UK politics into line.

Start banging them up. From the lowest member right up to the House of Lords.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, rockingrobin said:

Gina Miller is not the sole claimant,she is the lead claimant. The other claimants, Dos Santos and first interveners were heard (but not concluded ) after the  lead claim  on first day

I will repeat what Gina Miller said because you failed to address the dishonesty in it:

"I'm the only named client now but originally I wasn't the only one and the other people whose names were listed as clients received unbelievably vile abuse."

27 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

I will repeat what Gina Miller said because you failed to address the dishonesty in it:

"I'm the only named client now but originally I wasn't the only one and the other people whose names were listed as clients received unbelievably vile abuse."

I fail to understand your point, and the assertion of Gina Millers dishonesty. I will have to confirm but it is my understanding the abuse was brought to the attention of the court  first hearing.

Some additional info

The court said this has deferred would-be claimants from bringing actions and, in fact, may amount to contempt of court and certainly amounted to criminal behaviour. '

http://www.legalcheek.com/2016/07/brexit-legal-challenge-busiest-court-in-living-memory-hears-judges-say-case-will-be-heard-by-the-lord-chief-justice/

Edited by rockingrobin

1 hour ago, rockingrobin said:

I fail to understand your point, and the assertion of Gina Millers dishonesty. I will have to confirm but it is my understanding the abuse was brought to the attention of the court  first hearing.

Some additional info

The court said this has deferred would-be claimants from bringing actions and, in fact, may amount to contempt of court and certainly amounted to criminal behaviour. '

http://www.legalcheek.com/2016/07/brexit-legal-challenge-busiest-court-in-living-memory-hears-judges-say-case-will-be-heard-by-the-lord-chief-justice/

You're quite right that you're failing to see my point. Miller said that everbody else backed away from putting their name forward because of personal abuse. But that's not the case, is it?

3 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

You're quite right that you're failing to see my point. Miller said that everbody else backed away from putting their name forward because of personal abuse. But that's not the case, is it?

The abuses directed at Mishcon de Raya claimants were discussed between QC and Sir Brian Leveson. 

Miller is the only Name  that appears for Mishcon de Reya , 

11 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

But she didn't say that did she? You're just trying to be tricky.

Apologies Khun Han , think I understand.

It is my understanding that initially a group of people including Miller  were bringing a challenge under Mischon, now Miller is the only name.

The other claimants are separate challenges using different QC and law firms being heard at the same time.

I can only presume due to the court comments that the abuse allegation had some substance. 

If persons withdrew or didnt come forward for other reasons I dont know. 

34 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Apologies Khun Han , think I understand.

It is my understanding that initially a group of people including Miller  were bringing a challenge under Mischon, now Miller is the only name.

The other claimants are separate challenges using different QC and law firms being heard at the same time.

I can only presume due to the court comments that the abuse allegation had some substance. 

If persons withdrew or didnt come forward for other reasons I dont know. 

We're going round in circles now Robin. The cases were bundled into one, with Miller as the plaintiff.

By the way, just so that there is no misunderstanding as to why she brought this case:

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKCN10119V

Which contradicts what her brief told the court.

And, from the same article, the example of an abusive email she showed Reuters:

"You are obviously a devious lady"

I think the ROFLMAO smiley is unneccesary for the above.

14 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

We're going round in circles now Robin. The cases were bundled into one, with Miller as the plaintiff.

By the way, just so that there is no misunderstanding as to why she brought this case:

You cherry pick and out of context, but what else would you do given your record to date!

9 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

You cherry pick and out of context, but what else would you do given your record to date!

The mandatory 'grown up' personal abuse is noted again :coffee1:.

What have I taken out of context? And why is it out of context?

51 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Whatever the claimants motive, we are where we are.

Going back to the case one issue that could effect if and when parliament needs to approve  

Could the executive unilaterally reverse the notice.

50 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Whatever the claimants motive, we are where we are.

Going back to the case one issue that could effect if and when parliament needs to approve  

Could the executive unilaterally reverse the notice.

Then it'd be back to court again, surely?

On 10/14/2016 at 7:15 AM, daveAustin said:

What a load of rubbish. The vote (sanctioned by the prime minister) has been and gone. There is no secretive power. The people have spoken and parliament works for the people. I wish these limp-wristed, so-called remainers would get over themselves and get back to work.

Joker .

The   vote sanctioned by the ex prime minister , who died on his sword , DC.  Rip. in your new index linked job .Dave.

Brexit vote was unexpected , a  mistake , and will never ever, ever happen .

Brexit terms and conditions,  must  be  approved by Parliment ??

Terms   Rejected , maybe 3  times ,   and our democratically elected  UK, Prime Minister ,  will demand ,  wait for it ,,,,

On  a  informed democratic decision , by the  UK  electorate ,on a new Brexit vote

AND , this time , you morons , vote stay in . Understand .

15 hours ago, elliss said:

Joker .

The   vote sanctioned by the ex prime minister , who died on his sword , DC.  Rip. in your new index linked job .Dave.

Terms   Rejected , maybe 3  times ,   and our democratically elected  UK, Prime Minister ,  will demand ,  wait for it ,,,,

On  a  informed democratic decision , by the  UK  electorate ,on a new Brexit vote

I do understand that what you have written is just your personal opinion and you are entitled to it.

However,thank you very much for insulting over 17 million people by calling them morons. I was one of them.

If that is the best you can offer then I suggest that you go and play with the children in the sandbox and let the government get on with its job.

That is my personal opinion of your post. I am sorry not to have insulted you but we morons, as you describe us, really cannot be bothered to sink to your level and insult people we disagree with.

I find that insulting people is a waste of time.

15 hours ago, elliss said:

Joker .

Bit surprising that you plead poverty when you have all the attributes required of a handsomely-remunerated PR consultant for the EU!

On 10/16/2016 at 9:16 PM, Khun Han said:

Then it'd be back to court again, surely?

It would weaken the lead claimants case , the issue of Article 50 removes rights.  The parallel claims would still be needed to be won by the government For going back to court , I dont think that would be the case, the executive could trigger Art  50 and put the final deal to  parliament.

Just been reading a pre-brexit kerfuffle interview with Gina. Turns out she isn't even an investment manager: she's the sales and marketing manager of SCM, and doesn't get involved with the investment side of things, which she leaves to husband Alan.

20 hours ago, elliss said:

Joker .

I think your scenario is likely pretty accurate.

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I do understand that what you have written is just your personal opinion and you are entitled to it.

However,thank you very much for insulting over 17 million people by calling them morons. I was one of them.

If that is the best you can offer then I suggest that you go and play with the children in the sandbox and let the government get on with its job.

That is my personal opinion of your post. I am sorry not to have insulted you but we morons, as you describe us, really cannot be bothered to sink to your level and insult people we disagree with.

I find that insulting people is a waste of time.

You missed the point he was making.

7 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Interesting argument made this morning, potentially British expats in EU become criminals due to article 50 

The notion that the government will hang all it's EU expats out to dry on a technicality is just preposterous. All it proves is that some remainers will say (or get their legal representatives to say) absolutely anything if they think it will generate a bit of scaremongering.

Just now, Khun Han said:

The notion that the government will hang all it's EU expats out to dry on a technicality is just preposterous. All it proves is that some remainers will say (or get their legal representatives to say) absolutely anything if they think it will generate a bit of scaremongering.

Sorry , correction required , the submission was EEA nationals lose right to remain therefor government criminalizing a group

14 minutes ago, rockingrobin said:

Thats my understanding. I am not agreeing or disagreeing. The court is in progress, and government started defense 

Original post corrected and reason stated

The governmet has made it quite clear that it will look after existing EU migrants' interests, so this is a non-issue even if it's currently a techicality.

Legal challengers attempting to give parliament the authority to trigger Brexit have a wider aim of trying to invalidate the referendum result, the attorney general, Jeremy Wright QC, has told the high court.

The attorney general, who is leading the government’s legal team, told the court on Monday: “This is not a narrow legal challenge … It seeks to invalidate the decision already taken to withdraw from the EU.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/oct/17/article-50-legal-case-is-attempt-to-reverse-brexit-court-told

Yet everyone was expecting Camoron to trigger A50 the day after the Referendum.

3 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

You missed the point he was making.

Actually I ignored the point he was making because it was a badly written and insulting post to 17 million people.

I would have taken more notice if he had bothered to write clearly and concisely and tried to explain what he meant and without the insults.

It would have taken about the same amount of time and I would have most probably responded to it,

It is the sort of post that I expect from a few but not all of the people who lost the referendum and cannot or will not accept that fact.

The attempts by the remainers to derail Brexit are deeply sinister and anti democratic. The UKIP must be guardians of Brexit and champions of freedom.

Leaderless, broke, literally fighting amongst themselves, plummeting membership and only a single MP who seems to be hated by most of the key UKIP hierarchy - and i thought things couldn't get any dafter!