UBS Global Real Estate Bubble Index

10 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Bangkok, just to the left of Vancouver.

I think you are referring to the increase in asking prices of newly launched project.

The prices in the secondary market see more modest increases over the last 5 years.

It's to me of more interest to note no Thai cities are even on the chart, despite years of rising prices. The bubble in Oz is truly worrying, I could sell there now at a good price, and I would, except I don't trust parking all that money in a bank. Why? Oz banks are hugely leveraged, if real estate pops most would go under without a bail out. Would there be one? Probably, but still worry about getting cents on the dollar like Cypress.

There again, despite large short term profits to be made in booms, real estate is largely a long hold enterprise, returns over long periods, evening out the swings, are historically good.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎15‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:56 AM, Rancid said:

It's to me of more interest to note no Thai cities are even on the chart, despite years of rising prices. The bubble in Oz is truly worrying, I could sell there now at a good price, and I would, except I don't trust parking all that money in a bank. Why? Oz banks are hugely leveraged, if real estate pops most would go under without a bail out. Would there be one? Probably, but still worry about getting cents on the dollar like Cypress.

There again, despite large short term profits to be made in booms, real estate is largely a long hold enterprise, returns over long periods, evening out the swings, are historically good.

but will they in the future.? How many 20 or 30-year-old's these days can afford to buy a $1 million home? good grief many of them couldn't even afford to rent.And the future forecasts of more and more jobs being taken over by robots and computers looks even more bleak regarding job prospects that pay salaries sufficient to buy an Australian home.

2 hours ago, Asiantravel said:

but will they in the future.? How many 20 or 30-year-old's these days can afford to buy a $1 million home? good grief many of them couldn't even afford to rent.And the future forecasts of more and more jobs being taken over by robots and computers looks even more bleak regarding job prospects that pay salaries sufficient to buy an Australian home.

That's why homes of the future are shoeboxes...

Archived