Getting a visa in Vietnam can be a great way to go!

3 minutes ago, Incobart said:

Hi I am confused now, if it is just a quick trip to bangkok and return, why you need a thai visa , there is a 30 day exemption ?

You would not need a visa if your stay is less than 30 days. You can stay for 60 days by getting a 30 day extension but may need a ticket out within 30 days to board your flight.

A tourist visa allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

1 minute ago, dotpoom said:

I am European, it would never occur to me to quote prices in Euros when I am writing mainly to people who are made up of many different nationalities and who are resident in Thailand, and are dealing in Thai Baht. Just strikes me as very inconsiderate. Nothing personal...it happens quite a lot on here. I'ts like saying "I'm too lazy to convert the $ into Thai baht....you can do that yourselves"..

That's exactly my point, if the embassy is in Bangkok,  you can not pay with usd and for sure taxi and hotel not.. so thats why I think it must be Hanoi, as for some reason they still use ..

if it IS bkk why you use your currency and let the majority start to use exchange calculator to be able to understand your post. If everyone do, use south african rand or india ruble ..   everybody that live here should understand Thai bath so please stick to it Thank you

11 minutes ago, dotpoom said:

I am European, it would never occur to me to quote prices in Euros when I am writing mainly to people who are made up of many different nationalities and who are resident in Thailand, and are dealing in Thai Baht. Just strikes me as very inconsiderate. Nothing personal...it happens quite a lot on here. I'ts like saying "I'm too lazy to convert the $ into Thai baht....you can do that yourselves"..

I can see your point dotpoom, but even the VN embassy gives you a quote in $us, & when I was there 2 months ago, the $US could still be used but I just used --Dong" my wife thought she was a millionaire, until she had to pay about 16,000 for a plate of rice.

No Visa No Fee for British---just walk in-- how many other countries have that, I didn't look. Also if you are British, have an attachment to a Vietnamese person--5 year visa is easy to obtain.

But charliebadenhop is right--well worth a visit, they have let them throw up these small boutique type hotels in any hole in the wall ---the one I stayed in was just 3 rooms to a floor, 6 floors---free breakfast--to die for, great food, big balcony overlooking the street 

Its has more culture then the south, some of the women--knock out-- they could fit on a magazine cover--& yes, I took the wife me- @#$..##.

Its well worth a look--& yes I live quite near the Lao border---& just, no comparison,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Incobart said:

That's exactly my point, if the embassy is in Bangkok,  you can not pay with usd and for sure taxi and hotel not.. so thats why I think it must be Hanoi, as for some reason they still use ..

if it IS bkk why you use your currency and let the majority start to use exchange calculator to be able to understand your post. If everyone do, use south african rand or india ruble ..   everybody that live here should understand Thai bath so please stick to it Thank you

NO..............................  Please give us information and quote as you see fit everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  if you are too lazy to convert then move on to another post and stop these ignorant complaints,,,,   WOW,,,,,, REALLY,,,,  you cant appreciate the post  you just have to complain about something so trivial,, and,,,, never mind not worth the effort

NO..............................  Please give us information and quote as you see fit everyone,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  if you are too lazy to convert then move on to another post and stop these ignorant complaints,,,,   WOW,,,,,, REALLY,,,,  you cant appreciate the post  you just have to complain about something so trivial,, and,,,, never mind not worth the effort

Vietnam looks really attractive at the moment, anything would be preferable as a getaway. Where would be a good place with a bit of sea / sand / sun - family friendly, don't need organised holidays, just clean hotels, decent beaches, some reasonable food and not 300 miles from an airport (preferably accessible from Chiang Mai)

Any other suggestions for a similar break from this place, i.e. Cambodia would be also a consideration.

Cheers!

Edited by Generalchaos

34 minutes ago, Generalchaos said:

Vietnam looks really attractive at the moment, anything would be preferable as a getaway. Where would be a good place with a bit of sea / sand / sun - family friendly, don't need organised holidays, just clean hotels, decent beaches, some reasonable food and not 300 miles from an airport (preferably accessible from Chiang Mai)

Any other suggestions for a similar break from this place, i.e. Cambodia would be also a consideration.

Cheers!

I just got back from a month in Vietnam and loved every minute of it.The places you want are Danang and Nha Trang.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I just got back from a month in Vietnam and loved every minute of it.The places you want are Danang and Nha Trang.

19 minutes ago, louse1953 said:

I would add to those two, DaLat.  Mountains, forests, eternal spring, and flowers up the whazoo.  

• Like 1

I just had an American friend return from Vietnam.  To get a Vietnamese visa, rates/terms have just been renegotiated for Americans.  Yes, used to be about $25 for a one-entry visa.  Now, only option is $135 for a multi-entry visa (not sure of the duration).  

Edited by Fookhaht

17 hours ago, Incobart said:

charliebadenhop tells a very worthwhile story and the best you can do is whinge about no currency conversions. Vietnam has two currencies. The Vietnam dong and the US dollar. The story is predominantly about Vietnam not Europe so what has Euros or Thai baht got to do with it. You do the conversion if you want to be bothered. 

• Like 2

dotpoom-

I am wondering...

If you hear of a price of (for example) B19,500

Do you convert that into the currency of the country you came from, in order to make full sense of the price, or do you simply see the price in Baht and have no need to convert?

For me, with most prices I need to convert into US$.

Please let me know.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

dotpoom-

I am wondering...

Do you convert that into the currency of the country you came from, in order to make full sense of the price, or do you simply see the price in Baht and have no need to convert?

Please let me know.

To be honnest, yes I don't need to convert, I can see, but I must also say it's close to my original currency. But I think that everybody live here a while can easy recalculate /estimate to his currency ... lik you can do to your usd. 

So if people put price in thb easy, but if a danish guy use his danish crone in his post,  do you feel its still easy for you ? or you have to start to find currency converter for every figure  you want to know ..

so that's what happen for many people if you only use your own currency. Just let you know, no offence, you replied already on it nicely, thank you for understanding.

22 hours ago, Incobart said:

Do you mean an 'assisted'  soapy or simply cold water and a bucket?

• Like 1

In June 2016 I recieved a  60 day single entry tourist visa from the Thai consulate in Ho Chi Minh City and they insisted I must pay the visa fee in U.S. dollars.

In fact both inside and outside the entrance to the Thai consulate that ibformation was posted on a bulletin board in English.

I do not know for certain if this also applies in Hanoi, but it is certainly is enfoced in Ho Chi Minh City.

They will not accept either Vietnamse Dong or Thai Baht in payment for a Thai visa.

They were quite strict about it.

Thre is a Vietnam Air office across the road from the HCMC Thai consulte where they sell you U.S. dollars for Baht or Dong, but the exchange rate is terrible

Of course it is possible this has changed in the last 3 months, but i am just telling you what I found to be the case in June 2016.

16 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

I just had an American friend return from Vietnam.  To get a Vietnamese visa, rates/terms have just been renegotiated for Americans.  Yes, used to be about $25 for a one-entry visa.  Now, only option is $135 for a multi-entry visa (not sure of the duration).  

If you are not American, then a good place for a one-off SETV run.

The $135 for a year multi-entry to VN is not too bad - but only if the Thai consulates there will allow at least a couple SETVs within that year. 

Recent reports in Hanoi and HCMC have sounded good, but I do not recall any confirming receipt of two from them in the same passport.  If anyone has done this successfully, please advise.

One sidenote. Those who has passport from smaller country, take a close look where you get your info if vietnamvisa is needed ot not. There are a lot of official looking sites out there giving false information.

For example i have finnish passport and this "official looking website" tells i need visa which is not true

https://vietnamvisa.govt.vn/requirements/vietnam-visa-for-citizens-of-finland/

I sent an email to this website about this and got ignored..

Vietnam official websites are under gov.vn  not something similar like this govt.vn

• Like 1

10 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

dotpoom-

I am wondering...

Please let me know.

Stick with what you want to do and say. Leave the professional grumblers to their own. There is not much left for them to do to keep their hearts beating.

• Like 1

Hmm,

I write a 19 line post, simply to be of service to the community,

And yet some people find me inconsiderate because I quote US$ and not Baht.

Fascinating!

And yes, I would not quote Danish crone or Indian Rupees.

For me, when I read Baht I almost always calculate into US$ since that is my base currency.

Anyway, no big deal, just wanted to add a bit more here. 

• Like 2

I arranged a thai police report from the thai Hanoi embassy to apply for a VN temp residence permit in 2010 when I last worked there...

they couldn't have been more helpful...the staffer even gave me his mobile number for me to call to check on the police report status...

I was gonna head back soon to visit friends in Ha Tinh province after the recent news in Thailand but the next day I read on the news that where I was goin' got devastated by torrential rain...

after reading this thread gonna havta try one of them boutique hotels in Hanoi Old Town with the nice balcony...