Do you miss your family at home ?

federico

Well OP, looks like you have had a number of great posts with quite a wide range of experiences.

Video calls are easy and cheap and it is easy to stay in touch.

However, sometimes it is better to let your offspring have their own space and time to make their own way in life.

I know of a European (farang) family with two adult daughters who talked on the phone every day.

To the point that the girls were unable to make decisions without first clearing it with their parents.

Not good IMHO, not a sensible balance of "for your own benefit" or just plain control?

I suggest that you rent when you arrive which will give you the opportunity to learn about an area and then possibly move to other places until you find the place which feels right for you.

I'm from the UK, married to a Thai but we live in Spain for 6 months+ and Thailand the rest.

I keep in touch with my UK lot by Skype and email and some family visit us in Spain on holiday and this works well.

My wife has a large family in Thailand so our annual visits work well for her.

Remember that for about 100 quid per year, you can have a Skype subscription that lets you call mobiles in say the UK, for up to two hours per call!

We have a subscription to call Thai mobiles and this is excellent for my wife.

Best of luck and ignore stupid troll posts that may appear in your thread.

No! I do not miss my family in my 'home country'.  Thailand is my 'home', my Thai family is my 'family'.  The only shame is that the government of Thailand makes it next to impossible for me to become a 'permanent resident'.  If I was a permanent resident of Thailand,  I'd never go back to my home country.

Edited by connda

Yeah, Sort of....

Meantime I am waiting for them to come and visit me here in Thailand as they know where I am......well I think they do.....but when they go on vacation they go to Europe or Mexico or the Caribbean...you know, the usual standard places that everyone has already been to in huge numbers.

They never come this way.

I am inclined to think they believe the war in Vietnam is still raging on....

Cheers

Yes I miss my family what is left of them and always will. I do feel that you get use to this after living overseas. For me it was a 5 year period then the missing feeling dwindled more and more. the help of Skype, whatsapp and cheap phone calls helps.

As my Grandmother said to me, 'don't miss your family too much as they are always with you in your heart and memories'. She was a very wise women.

I wd like to thank everyone for your answers and for sharing your experiences and feelings about what is after all a very intimate matter. Your answers give me a line of thoughts about it though every story is unique. Our decision about moving there is made already and i think i will have to face this guilt feeling and learn how to live with it.

Thanks again

Cheers

Fred

No. We only meet every 3 years for one day at the most, when I am in England, usually due to work and other diversions.

They were, while I was living in England, far too busy and so was I, to get together other than Christmas when it was me that visited them. They have never been to Thailand in ten years and no chance of that now due to health problems. Keep in touch from time to time by email and occasional skype.