Koh Phangan exodus as Full Moon Party cancelled

webfact

3 minutes ago, licka said:

Before all the poms start crying about what they cant do here in Thailand

Think what England will be like when the Queen passes away

Do you think it will be party central

Please show some respect, a month or 2 without loud music all night long will be a nice thing for some of us

As for no tv, my god what would you losers do, stare at an empty box and cry

Now you can all slag off at me and leave Thailand to mourn a Great Leader

Well, you do deserve it. What do yacking mouths know about respect? They're way too busy thinking about what they're yacking about to know the definition, evidently.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...the motions of 'collecting money from foreigners on any pretext'.....are still operational though...that is the problem....

...as Thais saw with price gouging for black shirts......

....it is a very unpleasant experience....

.....we go though it several times a day....

You must live in a different Thailand to here in rural Khampaeng Phet.

I was in the village this morning looking for some black material but I couldn't find any. There were however lots of black clothes for sale, even some in fat farang sizes but sorry, no gouging prices.

Isn't the FMP a commercial activity? Aren't commercial activities on public beaches illegal? Other beaches, notably Patong Beach, have been cleared (mostly) of commercial activities by order of the Military since they took over, so why was FMP allowed to continue if the objective of the Military Government was to return the beaches to their natural environment? Probably a rhetorical question but just asking it? 

3 hours ago, hansnl said:

Isn't that how one should behave, being a guest?

Accepting differences is part of one's "education" when going to live in another country.

And that is not "going native".

depends if u think thats  acceptable

tourists, who coming to Thailand, paid for their holiday, and for sure they expect to have fun in thir holidays, whatever they thinking what fun is. 

We who are living in Thailand of course have to respect what happend, but tell somebody how to mourn is wrong and restrict personal freedom. I live in Chiang Mai and here there were alot of rumors after the first day, but in the end it is a big show and money talks, even only 3 days after the kings death the Sunday walking street was going on like normal, all bars open all the time never closed any day, 

But the fast and stupid statements from town office that, sunday walking street nightmarket are closed for 1 month, Loi Katong is cancelled aso, will have a deep effect in Chiang Mai tourism and after the very bad summer season this will put around 50% of the tourist business close to bankrupt. This year we have lost more than 50% in turnover and every business around us face the same problem, in the last 3 days most of the tourists left Chiang Mai. Even all Bars and Disco open normal, but the guest numbers went down 60% in the last 3-4 days. After the news that every event is cancelled, even new year celebrations in hotels and in public places, this is published world wide and of course this will drop the tourists numbers by a high percentages for a very long time.

In the last 5 days we could clearly see that the Thai goverment didn´t had any plan how to handle the situation and as many times before the handle it as worth they could!

4 hours ago, RichieKaen said:

So the business owners and all their employees who rely on tourists should go without any income for two months??

Don't be ridiculous!

So, are you saying that even though the tourists have been told they won't be able to have the holiday they expected, they should pay to stay anyway?

Up to me, the FMP would be cancelled permanently, as it has become rather unseemly to say the least.

I wonder if the hotels will be reducing their rates and cancelling the extortionate requirement to stay several days now there is no FMP?

3 hours ago, licka said:

Please show some respect, a month or 2 without loud music all night long will be a nice thing for some of us

I doubt anything will change in England when she passes. There will be a big funeral of course, and they might have a bank holiday, but business as usual.

It's not about expats, it's about what tourists expect for their money and the people that rely on them for their money.

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

You must live in a different Thailand to here in rural Khampaeng Phet.

I was in the village this morning looking for some black material but I couldn't find any. There were however lots of black clothes for sale, even some in fat farang sizes but sorry, no gouging prices.

You can make an armband with some cloth of any colour and a black marker pen.

I don't see what the problem is regarding what visitors to Thailand expect following the Kings death.

Perhaps the visitors do not understand that most, if not all Thais have only known this one King and he has done wonderful things to help to keep Thailand stable through many difficult times.

My experience of Thai people tells me that it is very easy and quite usual for any Thai (or farang) to be seen as a member of an extended Thai family.

What I mean is that someone can meet a Thai and in a matter of hours, become a friend and then rapidly become an extended family member.

Thus, very many Thais see the late King as a member of their own family and their sense of loss is very real and strong.

for example:

What if you were scheduled to visit relatives or friends in another part of your own country and shortly before the visit one of their family died, what would you expect?

Would you visit anyway or cancel out of respect to give them time and space to mourn?

If the death occurred during your visit, would you expect that your hosts carried on as if nothing had happened?

To me the answers are obvious, you would do whatever it took to avoid making a distressing situation any worse.

As to the businesses who rely on money from visitors, sure they will be impacted and times will become hard for a while at least.

However, I expect it will not be the end of their world and they will recover in time.

Much like the poor folk who get made redundant just before a major holiday like Christmas or the summer holidays, as happens very often back in the UK!

Sure, there is a support network in many farang countries which is not generally available to Thais but the Thai culture is based on families helping each other.

Therefore I expect that the people on reduced incomes will still survive and rise above it in time.

RIP His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej and condolences to his family and the Thai people.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You can make an armband with some cloth of any colour and a black marker pen.

I tried around the village this morning. Lots of black shirts but none in my size (5XL in Thai size). I am off to Nakhon Sawan tomorrow for a 90 day report and I will see what I can find down there.

I have several black ties but the bit at the bottom Disney cartoon characters and probably not suitable unless I chop that bit off. I am retired and only wear black and ties at funerals.

14 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I tried around the village this morning. Lots of black shirts but none in my size (5XL in Thai size). I am off to Nakhon Sawan tomorrow for a 90 day report and I will see what I can find down there.

I have several black ties but the bit at the bottom Disney cartoon characters and probably not suitable unless I chop that bit off. I am retired and only wear black and ties at funerals.

Here is an idea of how to use the material from a tie:-

blackRibbon.jpg

6 hours ago, licka said:

absolute  rubbish and "your opinion" only when the Queen dies, do you think 500 people will gather outside a  shop due to extremely  vague  comments made demanding blood of that person? do  you think we  will be more or less ordered how to dress? and there would be no cancellation of channels demanded by govt either........ok finished  slagging

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

Go to any new or secondhand bookshop where there are literally tens of thousands of books available.

It would be easier if YOU explained exactly which and how many books you are not allowed to read as you seem to be an expert on the subject.

unable to discuss that topic

1 hour ago, laislica said:

I don't see what the problem is regarding what visitors to Thailand expect following the Kings death.

Perhaps the visitors do not understand that most, if not all Thais have only known this one King and he has done wonderful things to help to keep Thailand stable through many difficult times.

My experience of Thai people tells me that it is very easy and quite usual for any Thai (or farang) to be seen as a member of an extended Thai family.

What I mean is that someone can meet a Thai and in a matter of hours, become a friend and then rapidly become an extended family member.

Thus, very many Thais see the late King as a member of their own family and their sense of loss is very real and strong.

for example:

What if you were scheduled to visit relatives or friends in another part of your own country and shortly before the visit one of their family died, what would you expect?

Would you visit anyway or cancel out of respect to give them time and space to mourn?

If the death occurred during your visit, would you expect that your hosts carried on as if nothing had happened?

To me the answers are obvious, you would do whatever it took to avoid making a distressing situation any worse.

As to the businesses who rely on money from visitors, sure they will be impacted and times will become hard for a while at least.

However, I expect it will not be the end of their world and they will recover in time.

Much like the poor folk who get made redundant just before a major holiday like Christmas or the summer holidays, as happens very often back in the UK!

Sure, there is a support network in many farang countries which is not generally available to Thais but the Thai culture is based on families helping each other.

Therefore I expect that the people on reduced incomes will still survive and rise above it in time.

RIP His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej and condolences to his family and the Thai people.

This   topic  just cannot be discussed and THAT is the main problem.

57 minutes ago, ukrules said:

These 'full moon parties' are a stain on the whole country. They should cancel them permanently.

Now  I can agree that I think they arent  good BUT  i think they should be allowed to have them

5 hours ago, Arandora said:

Isn't the FMP a commercial activity? Aren't commercial activities on public beaches illegal? Other beaches, notably Patong Beach, have been cleared (mostly) of commercial activities by order of the Military since they took over, so why was FMP allowed to continue if the objective of the Military Government was to return the beaches to their natural environment? Probably a rhetorical question but just asking it? 

let me get this straight, you are not sure if the question you are asking is rhetorical?

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

These 'full moon parties' are a stain on the whole country. They should cancel them permanently.

i gather you are speaking from vast and all encompassing personal knowledge of the event, right?

10 hours ago, captspectre said:

in that BBC video, as far as the foreign TV stations are concerned, that is mostly true with true TV! they have cancelled all movie channels and only allow very few channels and as usual the CARTOON channels are allowed! AND when contacted true said that it may last for at least thirty days. 

Cancel True Vision.

7 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Well,anyond coming to Thailand or in Thailand already and thinking of going to Party then S/he is not balanced in the head. I am actually surprised that some establishments are doing biz as usual.

RIP, YOUR MAJESTY

Maybe Thailand is a bit more balanced than you think.

50 minutes ago, kannot said:
2 hours ago, laislica said:

for example:

This   topic  just cannot be discussed and THAT is the main problem.

I wonder how you discuss a family member death online?

I say again: To me the answers are obvious, you would do whatever it took to avoid making a distressing situation any worse.

I'm fairly sure that most people in the world would treat the situation with the utmost respect.

Buy hey, that's just what I think.

12 hours ago, claffey said:

Are people ever going to get over what happened and move on? Koh Tao is a beautiful island where some tragedies have happened, but it's still a great place to visit. Just don't get drunk and wander off on your own at night. Same as for everywhere...

What good is a resort island where you can't take a romantic stroll down the beach at night.

2 hours ago, laislica said:

I wonder how you discuss a family member death online?

I say again: To me the answers are obvious, you would do whatever it took to avoid making a distressing situation any worse.

I'm fairly sure that most people in the world would treat the situation with the utmost respect.

Buy hey, that's just what I think.

Hmmmmmm  should it  not be obvious to you why this cant be discussed here also then?

7 hours ago, kannot said:

Now  I can agree that I think they arent  good BUT  i think they should be allowed to have them

At the least they should provide enough public toilets. It's disgusting that everyone has to use the sea because the people that make a fortune from the parties refuse to provide any.

Archived