EU says Russia’s Aleppo attacks ‘may amount to war crimes’

webfact

EU says Russia’s Aleppo attacks ‘may amount to war crimes’

606x341_346906.jpg

BRUSSELS: -- EU foreign ministers urged Russia and Syria to end their bombing of Aleppo, warning the attacks “may amount to war crimes.”

Meeting in Luxembourg, the 28 ministers hit out at the “clearly disproportionate” violence in the besieged Syrian city, pointing to the deliberate targeting hospitals and schools.

But they made no decision on whether to slap sanctions on Moscow over its conduct in Syria. Those decisions are only taken by heads of state and government.

EU leaders will meet in Brussels on Thursday for a two-day summit.

Ministers warned that the bloc will act “swiftly, according to established procedures, with the aim of imposing further restrictive measures against Syria targeting Syrian individuals and entities supporting the regime as long as the repression continues.”

EU sanctions are likely to include travel bans and a freeze of assets belonging to political figures and top military officials accused of crimes.

But Marc Pierini, a former diplomat now with the Carnegie Europe think-tank, said the EU remained divided on whether to go ahead with those steps.

“For the time being, the EU is confined to managing humanitarian aid in this Syrian crisis,” Pierini told euronews.

“It knows how to mange these kind of things. But it also shows the lack of a political role (for the EU), which corresponds, more or less, to the will of the member states.”

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-10-18

Well at least the EU have a clear conscience on their bombing of Libya and Serbia. But there again, despite the legality, they were bombings in the name of democracy and freedom. Living in the black & white world our media presents at least makes these things easy, whatever our side does is always for the greater good, and whatever the other guys do is evil, better not to waste reality TV time dwelling on flippant issues like morality or philosophy.

If Russia do anything then people scream war crimes and provocations but when US, NATO and their allies do things then it's nothing.
US place nuke capability in Poland, about a hundred kilometers from Russia to defend against "Iran" and it's OK but when Russia and place Nukes in Kaliningrad (one of Russia's largest ports and heavily militarized sins before the USSR era) after that then its a provocation... so NATO and US was not provoking Russia by placing the tomahawk launchers in Poland?!

Then US decided to hold an naval exercise with Polish and Germans about 100 km (on international waters) from the same base and the Russians made an overflight of an US war ship, the Russian overflight was condemned as a provocation... if Russia would conduct a naval exercise with the Cubans 100km from Florida then that would be condemned as a provocation!

3 hours ago, Rancid said:

Well at least the EU have a clear conscience on their bombing of Libya and Serbia. But there again, despite the legality, they were bombings in the name of democracy and freedom. Living in the black & white world our media presents at least makes these things easy, whatever our side does is always for the greater good, and whatever the other guys do is evil, better not to waste reality TV time dwelling on flippant issues like morality or philosophy.

It's not just the bombings,  but the torture of captured combatants and others thought to oppose Assad.

You don't bomb civilians in the name of democracy!  LOL

Sure sounds like war crimes to me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crime

A war crime is an act that constitutes a serious violation of the law of war that gives rise to individual criminal responsibility.[1] Examples of war crimes include intentionally killing civilians or prisoners, torture, destroying civilian property, taking hostages, perfidy, rape, using child soldiers, pillaging, declaring that no quarter will be given, and using weapons that cause superfluous injury or unnecessary suffering.[2]

3 hours ago, Kasset Tak said:

If Russia do anything then people scream war crimes and provocations but when US, NATO and their allies do things then it's nothing.
US place nuke capability in Poland, about a hundred kilometers from Russia to defend against "Iran" and it's OK but when Russia and place Nukes in Kaliningrad (one of Russia's largest ports and heavily militarized sins before the USSR era) after that then its a provocation... so NATO and US was not provoking Russia by placing the tomahawk launchers in Poland?!

Then US decided to hold an naval exercise with Polish and Germans about 100 km (on international waters) from the same base and the Russians made an overflight of an US war ship, the Russian overflight was condemned as a provocation... if Russia would conduct a naval exercise with the Cubans 100km from Florida then that would be condemned as a provocation!

Hmmm. Seems there were lots of protests about the Iraq war in the US. Have we seen any anti war protests in Russia?  Oops, not allowed to protest.

http://edition.cnn.com/2003/US/02/15/sprj.irq.protests.main/

The rest is off topic.

"Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it? Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price–we think the price is worth it."

So the US is OK with the 'collateral damage' of 1/2 million Iraqi children but calls for Russia and Syria to be held for 'war crimes'?  OK.  As long as "Dubya" Bush, Blair, Albright, et.al. are in brought before The Hague at the same time.  And lets not forget Dresden, Nagasaki, or Hiroshima too.  Or - stop the unilateral calls for 'war crimes'.  War sucks, so just stop the stupidity!

30 minutes ago, connda said:

"Lesley Stahl on U.S. sanctions against Iraq: We have heard that a half million children have died. I mean, that's more children than died in Hiroshima. And, you know, is the price worth it? Secretary of State Madeleine Albright: I think this is a very hard choice, but the price–we think the price is worth it."

So the US is OK with the 'collateral damage' of 1/2 million Iraqi children but calls for Russia and Syria to be held for 'war crimes'?  OK.  As long as "Dubya" Bush, Blair, Albright, et.al. are in brought before The Hague at the same time.  And lets not forget Dresden, Nagasaki, or Hiroshima too.  Or - stop the unilateral calls for 'war crimes'.  War sucks, so just stop the stupidity!

retaking eastern sectors of Aleppo from rebel militant proxy armies hired/sponsored amounts to war crimes? Silly I know! But not crimes committed by rebel jihadists? "stop fighting our proxies!" they might as well say..  All this to help divert innocent killed in Yemen... and drone wars?Trumped up charges on int'l crimes by the EU is laughable.

5 hours ago, lungbing said:

The Russians should do what the Americans do:  investigate the allegation and find themselves innocent.

Yeah, like when they struck and killed 60 Syrian army personnel on Sept 17th. Nothing done about that....

5 hours ago, connda said:

Here's her reply to this.

https://en.m.wikiquote.org/wiki/Madeleine_Albright

Little effort was made to explain Saddam's culpability, his misuse of Iraqi resources, or the fact that we were not embargoing medicine or food. I was exasperated that our TV was showing what amounted to Iraqi propaganda...I must have been crazy; I should have answered the question by reframing it and pointing out the inherent flaws in the premise behind it. Saddam Hussein could have prevented any child from suffering simply by meeting his obligations. Instead, I said the following: 'I think this is a very hard choice, but the price, we think, the price is worth it.' As soon as I had spoken, I wished for the power to freeze time and take back those words. My reply had been a terrible mistake, hasty, clumsy, and wrong. Nothing matters more than the lives of innocent people. I had fallen into a trap and said something that I simply did not mean. That is no one's fault but my own.

2 hours ago, gemini81 said:

Yeah, like when they struck and killed 60 Syrian army personnel on Sept 17th. Nothing done about that....

The Russians did exonerate themselves when they bombed the red cross convoy. At least the coalition admitted a mistake.  Russia lied about the whole event. LOL

22 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

The Russians did exonerate themselves when they bombed the red cross convoy. At least the coalition admitted a mistake.  Russia lied about the whole event. LOL

It was just the US blaming, accusing was without evidence, LOL. Is that all you read is propaganda? No investigative journalism or anything?

1 hour ago, gemini81 said:

It was just the US blaming, accusing was without evidence, LOL. Is that all you read is propaganda? No investigative journalism or anything?

Yeah, these guys have little credibility.  Might be good to do some non biased research before posting.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2016/09/syria-horrific-attack-on-un-aid-convoy-is-a-flagrant-violation-of-international-law/