Pigeons

Hedghog

37 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

That's is a myth.  They actually will love to eat the uncooked rice and more pigeon will come to the feast.

What problems are the pigeons causing on your roof?  Surely the rain will just wash the poop away?

Poisoning them is very cruel and they die slowly and a lot of suffering.  Also any animals.. cat, dog, wildlife, that eats the dead pigeon will also get poisoned. 

There are 2 good options if you really don't like them on your roof.  Shoot them... get someone with good aim to kill a few.. and the others will soon move off to another resting place after a few days of that.  The other option is the scare them frequently.. they will again decided its better to rest in a more peaceful place.  Scare them with loud bangs, fireworks, even waving a flag or brightly coloured material about near them.

I don't understand why people don't like these birds, so long as they are not actually nesting inside your roof and making mess. 

then let me enlighten you:

1/ they have multiple diseases

2/ their acidic shit eats away at your home

3/ dirt everywhere

4/  they make this annoying 'coo-coo' noise and if you have a nest near you it will drive you nutz

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this works but read in another thread that they hate WD40....a TV member bought it in a large container  and uses a pump sprayer on the surfaces the birds congregate on. They won't go near the stuff. No idea how long it lasts and no other details.

I used bird spikes puchased at HomePro which I glued to the walls on my roof with Liquid Nails. It is a little expensive but works for the long term. If you have a lot of open flat space around your roof it may be a problem though.

The kite idea sounds good.

1 hour ago, Hedghog said:

Thanks for the replies.

Obviously not a localised problem.

I posed the question,as I hmm accidently caught some in a sticky rat trap,they had to be despatched as could not be released.

I am now intending a mass placement of said traps.

So was trying to get the lay of the land,so too speak.

My landlady is in agreement,so game on.

Lost cause.  The pigeon population will always redistribute itself based on available food.  If you kill a few dozen, a few dozen will move in from elsewhere to take their place.

The converse is also true.  You can't feed a loose pigeon more food in the long run.  If you increase the amount you're feeding, the population will redistribute itself and you'll end up feeding more pigeons, not more per pigeon.

Fascinating full length documentary available on Youtube with the actual tests they did to figure out the population redistribution thingy.

maybe one of those urban myths but was talking to a guy in Australia recently and he told me a story about getting rid of pigeons. His neighbour got some bird seed and soaked it in rum. When the pigeons ate the seed and then flew, their heart rate increased and they died. There were pigeons dropping out of the sky all over the place, the guy who did it was very religious and felt guilty for months.

Like i said, don't know if true or not, but maybe some cheap rice wine with seeds might work. Get the pigeons eating unadulterated seed first. If it does work, then won't poison animals that eat the birds; just lots of drunk cats and dogs!

The other thing to try is buy some warfarin tablets from a pharmacy, crush a few and mix with water and then soak the seeds.

As someone mentioned before, airsoft guns won't kill birds it just scares them away. i was told that Air rifles (pellet guns as opposed to airsoft) are illegal in Thailand. The best option for killing pigeons if you can't get an air rifle (or are a terrible shot!) is use a .22 rifle with bird-shot.

My grandfather used a drop cage trap to catch pigeons and sparrows; then have a great feast. The guy in the house behind couldn't work out why his prize racing pigeons were disapppearing!

Edited by taichiplanet

When I was living in the Persian Gulf the city was infested. Some bright spark came up with the idea of trapping and relocation to a remote oasis. After eating everything they could find, they promptly flew back to the city. Trap and euthanase, or shoot are the only options

The pigeons population in our village goes up and down, they use to gather in hundreds on the high museum roof but very few about at the moment so Thais looking after the museum must be poisoning them or something.  

if there are "owl's" native to Thailand , the answer is simple . hang up blacked out ,  cut out silhouettes of owl's . about 14" tall, at least 2 0r 3 . hang in a place near or on the roof . every bird alive smaller than the owl's are on the menu every day , they are terrified of them and will not stay as owels are eating machines . .

21 minutes ago, taichiplanet said:

maybe one of those urban myths but was talking to a guy in Australia recently and he told me a story about getting rid of pigeons. His neighbour got some bird seed and soaked it in rum. When the pigeons ate the seed and then flew, their heart rate increased and they died. There were pigeons dropping out of the sky all over the place, the guy who did it was very religious and felt guilty for months.

Like i said, don't know if true or not, but maybe some cheap rice wine with seeds might work. Get the pigeons eating unadulterated seed first. If it does work, then won't poison animals that eat the birds; just lots of drunk cats and dogs!

The other thing to try is buy some warfarin tablets from a pharmacy, crush a few and mix with water and then soak the seeds.

As someone mentioned before, airsoft guns won't kill birds it just scares them away. i was told that Air rifles (pellet guns as opposed to airsoft) are illegal in Thailand. The best option for killing pigeons if you can't get an air rifle (or are a terrible shot!) is use a .22 rifle with bird-shot.

My grandfather used a drop cage trap to catch pigeons and sparrows; then have a great feast. The guy in the house behind couldn't work out why his prize racing pigeons were disapppearing!

Being the person I am, I immediately checked the impact of alcohol on bird life and it appears that birds' livers cannot process alcohol. So if they eat enough it will indeed kill them. Thus, when I move into the house I have just bought, I am going to throw a party for all the pigeons that have made it their home. I will ask them to bring their friends too. Any suggestions on what seeds they particularly like? Wouldn't want to disappoint them for their last meal. I will act as bouncer to make sure there are no gate crashing sparrows, starlings, doves or other feathered friends.    

Our swimming pool was used as a drinking vessel by pigeons, 

I bought four rubber balls and after a few weeks they have stopped

coming, pity really I was quite enjoying the game, and my throwing

accuracy really improved.

3 hours ago, gwynt said:

Get a cat one adopted us about 2 years agoshe gets food and a bit of attention not allowed in the house but spends time on the roof whenever the pidgeons arrive so no roosting on house ?

I have had a cat since she was about 6 weeks old, now she is seven years old, never ever saw her catch any birds, and

my house is loaded with pigeons. The cat actually goes on the roof of the carport on the way to the kitchen which is on the first floor, and she just ignores the pigeons there, she did take an interest in a rat caught unharmed in a trap before I took it far away and set it free, so it could be the case that she prefers catching small animals and not birds.

One other thing, one of my dogs kills and eats pigeons regularly, and yes, it is well fed as are the other two dogs.

Edited by possum1931
Adding another sentence.

9 minutes ago, csabo said:

I saw an few owls for sale in chatuchak. Looked hungry too.

I don't know if this works but read in another thread that they hate WD40....a TV member bought it in a large container  and uses a pump sprayer on the surfaces the birds congregate on. They won't go near the stuff. No idea how long it lasts and no other details.

I used bird spikes puchased at HomePro which I glued to the walls on my roof with Liquid Nails. It is a little expensive but works for the long term. If you have a lot of open flat space around your roof it may be a problem though.

The kite idea sounds good.

Being a retired poacher from my younger UK wartime days, we used to used this for pheasants and partridges as it is silent and effective!  Soak rice in cheap whisky, one or two grains and they fall over drunk, pick them up, up to you.  Eat or give to neighbours.

Some great replies,all manner of remedies thank you all.

I have placed sticky rat traps where the vermin congregate,under the eaves,

My neighbours are interested in the experiment,and will follow suit if successful, will offer a progress report in the morning.

No adverse comments were made about the method I am using,not directly anyway.

They seem to start arriving from 6am then start to dissappear early evening.

6 hours ago, puukao said:

These are God's creatures!!!!

You will be reborn a pigeon!!!!!!

Send them all to me, I have over 10,000,000 as pets already....

I will help all!!!!  

My pigeons are past help

4 minutes ago, Hedghog said:

My neighbours are interested in the experiment,and will follow suit if successful, will offer a progress report in the morning.

I don't expect many will start disappearing any time soon now.....  
Good Luck with the remedy.  Interested to see how it goes.

P.S. Sorry I couldn't resist. :wai:

3 minutes ago, avander said:

No issue.

Fair comment,very sharp.

My wording asked for such.

On 10/19/2016 at 10:58 AM, GarryP said:

Being the person I am, I immediately checked the impact of alcohol on bird life and it appears that birds' livers cannot process alcohol. So if they eat enough it will indeed kill them. Thus, when I move into the house I have just bought, I am going to throw a party for all the pigeons that have made it their home. I will ask them to bring their friends too. Any suggestions on what seeds they particularly like? Wouldn't want to disappoint them for their last meal. I will act as bouncer to make sure there are no gate crashing sparrows, starlings, doves or other feathered friends.    

Don't worry.

Your neighbor will keep up the population.   

On 10/19/2016 at 8:03 AM, thailand49 said:

Put a big bowl of uncook rice out, let them enjoy themselves, once the rice gets digested and wet the suckers belly will expand and bang. The problem with this though they will flock make a mess but in time.....:thumbsup:

Urban Myth

It doesn't work. Have tried that.

On 10/19/2016 at 6:38 PM, Hedghog said:

You are lucky that your neighbours are also interested in getting rid of them.

Our neighbours carry little plastic bags and boxes  of rice over to our wall and place them around to feed the pigeons. I sometimes have a fit and collect all the bags and boxes and through them over the gate of one of the worst offenders. I know it is wrong and creates a bad relationship, but seriously, why put the food along our house?

The pigeons make a mess everywhere. The dog enjoys chasing them all day long and occasionally manages to catch one, but their numbers are still increasing.

On 19/10/2016 at 4:05 AM, LannaGuy said:

then let me enlighten you:

1/ they have multiple diseases

2/ their acidic shit eats away at your home

3/ dirt everywhere

4/  they make this annoying 'coo-coo' noise and if you have a nest near you it will drive you nutz

Me being a pigeon fancier all my life and making a few quid at over the years in the UK and now in Thailand,

I see you must be an expert

Please tell me what diseases they have, that can pass on to a person??

I do know what they can get, you tell me what you no

20160917_134021.jpg

FB_IMG_1460478728775.jpg

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 at 6:46 PM, avander said:

No issue.

Fair comment,very sharp.

My wording asked for such.

Sticky  rat trap pads have worked very well.

12 pigeons down a few more to go.

The remaining of the group are congregating in a nearby coconut tree.

Obviously now very wary of my roof.

They get caught in the trap,when they struggle,fall off the roof.

They can then be despatched,as humanely as possible and cremated.

First peace and quiet in weeks.