Honda CB300 - safe to buy now?

bek

Hi,

I can see that there has been some problems with the engine on the CB300, and that they had to go in for a recall.

If I go and buy and CB300F tomorrow, can I trust that the problems have been fixed and that the bike I will get is ok?

I asked at the local dealer, and he just told me that the bike is ok, as it is a new bike - no problems!

I'm not convinced that he understood my question, though.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi,
I can see that there has been some problems with the engine on the CB300, and that they had to go in for a recall.
If I go and buy and CB300F tomorrow, can I trust that the problems have been fixed and that the bike I will get is ok?
I asked at the local dealer, and he just told me that the bike is ok, as it is a new bike - no problems!
I'm not convinced that he understood my question, though.

Not many 'salespeople' here do. You would be wise to investigate associated bike specific websites/FB pages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried the Z300, and I don't feel comfortable on - or should I say in it, as I feel like I sit in it, not on it.
I will try and have a look at the Yamaha.

I have seen quite a few Benelli's driving around, and they sound very good - but it seems that there has been some minor quality problems with them, when doing a bit of googling - and they're still not available with ABS?

When is the BMW available? I have seen it mentioned a few times online, but have only seen a release date in India mentioned.

1 hour ago, bek said:

I have tried the Z300, and I don't feel comfortable on - or should I say in it, as I feel like I sit in it, not on it.

I have seen quite a few Benelli's driving around, and they sound very good - but it seems that there has been some minor quality problems with them, when doing a bit of googling - and they're still not available with ABS?

When is the BMW available? I have seen it mentioned a few times online, but have only seen a release date in India mentioned.

A 1 year old MT03 (best of the bunch)  will set you back the price of a new CB, Z300 personally wouldn't bother ....Benelli 300, minor quality probs: Early versions in the Indian market did have a few problems, later versions in Thailand are so minor they are insignificant (There is a thread here on TV "Benelli TNT300s" with some owners views and quite a few pages of ...cough ...opinion by posters that have never owned one ...go have a look at the later pages) ...compared to quality problems of a dodgy crank on CB then well....

As for Benelli not having ABS then I personally am very happy it hasn't got it, but each to their own eh. As for price, about 7k more than the CB, comes with 3 year warranty, 1 year breakdown cover, 1 year free 1st class insurance ...comparing these two I know which is the better deal.

As for how the CB's are now, I would say they are fine as they wouldn't keep churning them out with the same problem, would they?

Out of the 4 possibles (as BMW not here yet) above I'd place CB 4th ....twin over a single any day in this market segment, but up to you.

Edited by KhruGin

I watched a group test of the CBR, R3, Z3 and KTM RC390 by Motorcyclist Magazine on You Tube yesterday.

They rated the CBR as best for handling, suspension and brakes.  By contrast the R3 was rated worst handling bike on test mostly due to a poor rear shock.

That certainly came as a surprise to me.  

The CBR was the least powerful with 27.8 horsepower at the rear wheel.  

Z300 was criticised for weak brakes. 

I have a CB, mine didn't get recalled. 2 and 1/2yrs in and 30,000km I have no problems with that little bike. It's all down to what you want your bike for and your expectations of the bike. I wanted something that is quick and nimble through traffic and can be fixed or serviced easily by me.

You might want yours for different reasons, this is good for what it is.

Edited by dingerbel

Thanks for the input.

Initially I leaned towards the Benelli because I like the look of it. Then I started to google - most people seem to agree that it runs well, it doesn't feel it's weight (which I personally am not obsessed about), but also that there was some quality issues. Maybe I should go pay the local dealer a visit, and ask about what changes has been made since introduction.

I turned to the Honda as it is so common here, the service network is big and there should be no problems in that department. I also hopes that I would be the most reliable choice, but I am not too convinced anymore. For sure it's the most boring looking bike of the bunch!

I rarely see any KTM's around, although we do have a local dealer - they look at bit smaller?
191cm isn't always compatible with bikes in this size range.

I wouldn't buy a bike designed by accountants and this their first. When something has a bad rep leave it alone regardless of make, as all companies have at least one lemon.

You are referring to which bike?

I think 95% of bikes are designed on a budget...

On 20/10/2016 at 10:40 AM, bek said:

I have a Benelli 300 and never had a problem with it. Never misses a beat. Lovely ride  and I've now done 10,000 km iun 6 months.  Now want to upgrade to the 600GTI

On ‎20‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:40 AM, bek said:

In my opinion I would avoid ABS on a motorbike, I had a bandit 1200 as a replacement for my 900 hornet some years back it had ABS and I didn't like it, I personally like to brake when I like to break even if it does lock up, I would prefer to hit something while breaking heavily than to have the breaks working intermitantly.

I don't know much about small bikes as I have mainly had big bikes and when riding a 400cc after a 1000cc it feels like it hasn't any power.

On 21/10/2016 at 9:22 PM, bek said:

You are referring to which bike?

I think 95% of bikes are designed on a budget...

There is a subtle difference when accountants design bikes, they overrule the engineers when they shouldn't. This happened with Toyota and Mercedes and all of a sudden these recalls and major faults occur and what were hitherto bullet proof machine are relegated to the foot of the reliability tables.

When a number of engines destroy themselves it is a design problem, so leave the damn thing along, after all this is a essentially a dullard machine, so there is no upside when it goes tips up.

There is a subtle difference when accountants design bikes, they overrule the engineers when they shouldn't. This happened with Toyota and Mercedes and all of a sudden these recalls and major faults occur and what were hitherto bullet proof machine are relegated to the foot of the reliability tables.

When a number of engines destroy themselves it is a design problem, so leave the damn thing along, after all this is a essentially a dullard machine, so there is no upside when it goes tips up.

Ahh... I understand now.

Well, I have tried the Honda now and wasn't impressed - compared to the Duke 200 I find it boring, even though the Duke 200 has a smaller engine.

Still have to go and see the Benelli...

On 20.10.2016 at 2:28 PM, In the jungle said:

I watched a group test of the CBR, R3, Z3 and KTM RC390 by Motorcyclist Magazine on You Tube yesterday.

They rated the CBR as best for handling, suspension and brakes.  By contrast the R3 was rated worst handling bike on test mostly due to a poor rear shock.

That certainly came as a surprise to me.  

The CBR was the least powerful with 27.8 horsepower at the rear wheel.  

Z300 was criticised for weak brakes. 

rated the CBR as best for handling, suspension and brakes:shock1:

how much Honda paid for this comparison? only in Traffic jam CBR can say its fine handling..

And why in test Z3 is it z300 from kawa? Why no Ninja 300?

it was more logical ninja 300

Test absurd

If the "professional" testers at Motorcyclist magazine rate the single cylinder 27 bhp Honda over multi cylinder 42 / 45 bhp bikes , then thats one mag id stay well away from. Complete BS. Honda bikes arent too impressive nowadays , but this CB / CRF / CBR range is a diaster. Its had a bad reputation from day 1 and will be very hard to sell when you realise , and wish to upgrade. All companies have accountants , but the penny pinching has gone way too far at Honda . The Z3 / Ninja is good , R3 is sporty , Benelli TNT and the Tornado is fast and flash and the KTM is simply mad. Today there is simply no need to buy a Honda while so many other , far better bikes are available , that werent just a few years ago.

KTM Jeff, you can obviously tell where his stock lies. Anyway, I could pull out plenty of Motorcyclist mags from Aus, US and GB that all say the Honda 300 isn't a bad bike at all. Like I said, now at over 30,000km and still no issues, after 20+yrs of riding and 7 bikes, I can honestly say it isn't the worst bike I have ever had. Its a bike that is designed for a certain budget, not to be wild like the KTM, not everyone wants that from a bike. I commute and if you want a bike for that this is good enough. If you want a bike to impress, dig deeper in your pockets and buy the Z3/MT03 or the KTM 390, better yet buy a bigger bike. I rode the Benny and didn't like it, just personal preference, same with the Z300. And that is all it really comes down to, saying that this bike is a disaster, just based on your own personal opinion, without actually owning one or riding one for a considerable amount of time, is just you trying to make yourself feel important. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/10/2016 at 11:33 PM, ktm jeff said:

If the "professional" testers at Motorcyclist magazine rate the single cylinder 27 bhp Honda over multi cylinder 42 / 45 bhp bikes , then thats one mag id stay well away from. Complete BS. Honda bikes arent too impressive nowadays , but this CB / CRF / CBR range is a diaster. Its had a bad reputation from day 1 and will be very hard to sell when you realise , and wish to upgrade. All companies have accountants , but the penny pinching has gone way too far at Honda . The Z3 / Ninja is good , R3 is sporty , Benelli TNT and the Tornado is fast and flash and the KTM is simply mad. Today there is simply no need to buy a Honda while so many other , far better bikes are available , that werent just a few years ago.

Well it wouldn't be the first time someone got a brown envelope. My point:- Penny-pinching is when accountant do the design and the mighty (Honda) have fallen.

Today I watched 3 Stallions go roaring by in formation, an impressive sight and sound, I really like to see and hear bikes like that. Maybe I am getting old but I prefer steam engines to sewing machines, especially when the latter is starting to drop stitches. 

What are bikes for, if not for the way they make you feel.......understand I am excluding commuters from this?

PS. Surprised you are including the CRF in this bad bike group.