Is it possible to appeal an entry ban (blacklist) due to overstay?

Hi peeps,

It's a bit of a long story, so I'll just give you the short version: 2 years ago, I suffered a back injury which cost me a ton of cash (I had Thai medical insurance, but back issues were a preexisting condition). Due to that injury, I fell into a deep depression and spent the next two years staying in my apartment 99% of the time (some sort of agoraphobia thing, I guess). Due to the financial and health issues, I let my visa slip and ended up on overstay.

My back and depression issues being now over, I decided to take care of my overstay. Last month, I left Thailand via Don Muang and received a 3-year entry ban due to my 700+ days overstay. I now live in Vietnam.

Does anyone know if it is possible to appeal an entry ban from abroad, and if so, how? I mean, I can wait out the three years if needed, but if there's just a chance for me to be allowed back into Thailand, where my friends are, I'd sure like to take it.

52 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Count your blessings it is  only 3 years. Many people are permanently banned. Save yourself the stress, the cost and the aggravation and just live your life in Vietnam for 3 years.

Why would he count his blessings?  He received the correct ban in accordance with the rules

OP unless you hire one of the more reputable International law firms in BKK which is going to be expensive then I wouldn't bother, a lot of Thai Lawyers will simply take you for what they can with no guarantee of success 

I would be devastated if like you I was banned for 3 years but maybe just better to see it out

Good luck with whatever you decide to do 

8 hours ago, Fithman said:

You will need a Thai lawyer to assist you with an appeal.  The  process may prove to be expensive with no guarantee of a positive outcome. 

Bet the "lawyer" guarantees a positive though :sleepy:

• Like 1

I am guessing if some money changes hands that this being Thailand anything is possible. All I am saying is be careful about saying your mental health is less than stable. You tell immigration from any civilized country in the world this and you may find yourself refused on that basis.They may want proof that you were successfully treated etc. So it could backfire very badly if he plays this card.

Again it is Thailand so hard to say. In any case only a lawyer would be able to help him determine what his options are.

2 hours ago, darrendsd said:

Why would he count his blessings?  He received the correct ban in accordance with the rules

OP unless you hire one of the more reputable International law firms in BKK which is going to be expensive then I wouldn't bother, a lot of Thai Lawyers will simply take you for what they can with no guarantee of success 

I would be devastated if like you I was banned for 3 years but maybe just better to see it out

Good luck with whatever you decide to do 

i do realize it is hard to keep up, but his blessings are that it is not a permanent ban.

8 minutes ago, darrendsd said:

Not nasty just pointing out facts, facts is a word  a lot of people on this forum seem unable to understand 

I agree. The OP received no "blessing". He was given a ban exactly in accordance with current rules. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

"  a lot of Thai Lawyers will simply take you for what they can with no guarantee of success  "

You have no way of knowing what "a lot of Thai lawyers" would do. Simply your bigotry at play. In any event, what lawyer would ever guarantee a result when appealing the consequences of breaking a law?

Have you lived here long?

Also note I said there would be no guarantee of success

14 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I've lived here long enough to have used the services of two different Thai lawyers on a number of occasions, though not for criminal issues. They clearly stated upfront what the charges would be for the service I sought and they delivered exactly what I wanted. I would not blithely assume that they represented "most Thai lawyers" since neither you nor I have dealt with even a small percentage of all Thai lawyers.

Have you used "most Thai lawyers" and been ripped off by most of them or do you simply buy into the Thai = bad philosophy here at TV?

Then you meant there would be no certainty of success. The word "guarantee" implies more than some statistical likelihood that an outcome will be realized.

1 : No I don't buy into the Thai = bad philosophy but it would appear that you read my post as that. do I care? Not really

2 : I said most, in case you are unsure most does not mean all, I suggest you use your dictionary again

Save the trouble and stress reduce you joy of life and short it for sure.

You overstayed and just got 3 years ban feel blessed with that.

Why all the problems?  The Thai decide they not want you as well not want your money the next 3 years.

save the cost,

save the stress,

enjoy life,

and probably after three years you not want to come back at all. just for a quick visit to see how good you have it at the place you are now.

you ever thought about this?

• Like 2

You now I have been here for  15 years had some medical problems I dealt with  that landed me in hospital but I have never overstayed or  expired a visa

I really have no  sympathy for your 2 year overstay You are banned You are in Vietnam now at least for the next  3 years so MAKE sure you keep your visa in good order there.

Suck it up Dude

1 hour ago, Autonuaq said:

Save the trouble and stress reduce you joy of life and short it for sure.

You overstayed and just got 3 years ban feel blessed with that.

Why all the problems?  The Thai decide they not want you as well not want your money the next 3 years.

save the cost,

save the stress,

enjoy life,

and probably after three years you not want to come back at all. just for a quick visit to see how good you have it at the place you are now.

you ever thought about this?

What lose of money would there be,he was bailed up in a room for 2 years.

4 minutes ago, realenglish1 said:

You now I have been here for  15 years had some medical problems I dealt with  that landed me in hospital but I have never overstayed or  expired a visa

I really have no  sympathy for your 2 year overstay You are banned You are in Vietnam now at least for the next  3 years so MAKE sure you keep your visa in good order there.

Suck it up Dude

I think mental issues such as depression should be treated with a bit more emathy.I have heard thait is a struggle just to get out of bed,ala Brian Wilson.

• Like 1