USA passport needs to be translated to Thai for Yellow book

jimmyyy

Does anyone know where in Khon Kaen or Bangkok where i can have this done?  The local amphur is requiring my passport translated into Thai in order to get my yellow book and then my foreigner ID card.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.  Thank you!

When I had this done in Udon several years ago, I asked in a local Udon forum for the recommended translation service so if nobody comes up with a specific answer here, you could ask a Mod to repost in the Isaan Forum. My translation didn't need any other ratification beyond the translation offices own chop, stamp and signature for the Amphur to accept it.

Sorry i posted in the wrong area, could a Mod relocate the post please?  Even Udon translator would be fine, i can be there in a hour or so in the car.   It would seem with the university here and the amount of american students that seem to be visiting there would be a translation office, but the net is turning up a big black hole. 

It's not that easy peasy anymore, you have to have the passport copy verified by USA embassy in BKK first, and both the US embassy verified passport copy plus it's thai translation has to be verified by ministry of foreign affairs too. I just did this whole procedure recently, I m in bangkok though.

If you wish, PM me so I will recommend the translation agency which did the translation and did the verification at MFA for me.

31 minutes ago, sas_cars said:

It's not that easy peasy anymore, you have to have the passport copy verified by USA embassy in BKK first, and both the US embassy verified passport copy plus it's thai translation has to be verified by ministry of foreign affairs too. I just did this whole procedure recently, I m in bangkok though.

If you wish, PM me so I will recommend the translation agency which did the translation and did the verification at MFA for me.

I don't think that will be required at all Amphoes. It varies from one to another. Some don''t even ask for the passport to be translated.

13 hours ago, sas_cars said:

You need to specify if this was your recent experience at KK amphurs office. As Ubon Joe said, they all have different ideas (and charges!) so like most things when a foreigner is dealing with Thai officialdom, the locale is pretty important in order for personal experience to be relevant, even very recent experience..

As others have said, the translation is not so easy. (as Sas cars says) You may wish to check with the amphur what they mean by translate. they may just want a translation done by a local translator, if so great. 

I recently did yellow book in Pattaya and they required translation certified by foreign affairs, of certified genuine passport from consulate. In the past, visa agents etc, could send a copy of passport to foreign affairs by mail and get certified. Recent changes at foreign affairs and they now want proof from consulate that its a real passport.

The thing is, they want the translation as a translation of your name only, they dont care about the other details.

If you have any other documents that contain your name, certified by foreign affairs, they will be acceptable.

In pattaya, I was able to use marriage documents (certified by foreign affairs) as they contained a translation of my name.

I contacted one of the translation services in Bangkok.  I copied the data page and attached it to and email and they translated it and sent it back as an email attachment.I paid them via bank transfer. I did not have to have Embassy or MFA certification though.

jimmyyy,  if you need something translated in Khon Kaen get in touch with Global Languages Translation Centre at 395 Sri Chan Road tel no 043 245355.  They do certified correct translations at a cost of 400 baht per page.  I used them last year to translate blue tabien baan pages from Thai into English and they turned the job around in less than 24 hours.

At my Isan Amphoe a simple translation by a local translator was good.

No involvement of embassy or the like.

It's no secret that some offices will require extensive paperwork/certification.

On the other hand I am surprised if NO translation at all was required (at least for those not married/not having marriage registered in Thailand).

I think not many Amphoe officials would do the task of transcribing your name to Thai script.

23 minutes ago, jimmyyy said:

i found a translator in Khon Kaen, the Amphur does not require anything from embassy or MFA, just a thai translation and they wanted my parents names written in Thai.

That's consistent with my experiences.

In another thread I have listed what the entries in the yb are:

(click on the picture in the thread to see full size)

Edited by KhunBENQ

If these translation services are sending the translated copy by email only, then that is wrong. My wife accepts jobs by email too but although she always sends a scan of the finished translation back by email she also posts the hard copy with her certified translation stamp and her signature in blue ink, otherwise there are some places that would not accept the copy if not an original.

For any one's interest I am attaching my wife's business card with her contact details.

HL

1.jpeg