Flying in and out on regular basis

I have been offered a position in Australia which requires me to work for 8 days and then have 6 days off on a regular basis.

My question is if I then fly in and out of Thailand every 2 weeks can I do this with visa exempt stamps or will I require some other form of visa?

I worked this roster before while on an extension through retirement but don't really want the hassle of getting another extension of stay if not neccessary.

You can do it until you can't. I did it for a year and a half on a 3 week basis, until airport immigration said no more. So off to Savannaket for multi entry non o marriage visa, and no more problems. They will eventually say enough.

Edited by Goanna
  • Like 2

Using Visa Exempt Entries is really only a short term option. If you're over 50, or the spouse/parent of a Thai you'd be better advised to apply for a 1 year Extension of Stay (1,900 baht) and a Multiple Entry Re-Entry Permit (3,800 baht). That way you can come and go as often as you want without the inevitable hassle at the border.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

Using Visa Exempt Entries is really only a short term option. If you're over 50, or the spouse/parent of a Thai you'd be better advised to apply for a 1 year Extension of Stay (1,900 baht) and a Multiple Entry Re-Entry Permit (3,800 baht). That way you can come and go as often as you want without the inevitable hassle at the border.

What happens if you are over 50 years old ?  What makes those no longer 40 years old stand out ?

7 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

What happens if you are over 50 years old ?  What makes those no longer 40 years old stand out ?

Oh, sorry, retiring and retirement visas are a foreign concept to me. 

Mistakenly thought the meaning was immigration scrutinizes those over 50 more.  Do have a friend who is almost 90 years old.  He receives a less than warm welcome at times from immigration.  

All you can do is give it a go,I work in Oz , mining, 2 weeks on and 1 week off, and have been doing this since 2010.already filled 2 passports,full off stamps visa exempt nobody at immagration has said a word to me.

I seem to cop more queries in Oz.by immagration. 

Luck of the draw I reckon.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, flyingdoc said:

Are there any hard and fast rules relating to the number of VE entries, or is it arbitrary?  If they made visa application easier in the U.K rather than harder, many more would obtain a 60 day visa ¬

There are no legal limits. There seems to be a consensus (though there may be exceptions) that the immigration official receives a computer warning when you have reached 6 visa exempt entries that your status as a genuine tourist should be scrutinized. What happens then depends on your entry point and the individual immigration official. Usually, in Bangkok, the immigration official will be satisfied that you are a genuine tourist, or pass you on to a supervisor who will be satisfied if you are clearly not working and have a good reason for your repeated visits (such as a girlfriend). If clearing immigration in Phuket, you might be denied entry and sent back to where you arrived from. If trying to enter through a land border, the immigration official might deny you entry saying "the computer made him do it". This is contrary to regulations, and not a formal denial of entry according to the law. However, there is little you can do about it in practice.

Did you want a clear answer? Sorry, this is Thailand.

22 hours ago, Goanna said:

You can do it until you can't. I did it for a year and a half on a 3 week basis, until airport immigration said no more. So off to Savannaket for multi entry non o marriage visa, and no more problems. They will eventually say enough.

All this nonsense from immigration is to stop people from entering the country to work illegally, that's

fine, I agree with them on that, but surely they should put more emphasis on having measures that would stop this

rather than making it hard for decent honest people who come to Thailand and leave every so often for jobs in 

other countries, or any other reasons.

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Many places are happy with you coming and spending money and helping the economy.  This one does not.  This country does not know what it wants.  You will get hassled at some point.  It is better to be prepared.  Get some sort of visa that allows you to come and go without question if Thailand is your must destination.   

Yes. but Thailand immigration need to find a way of stopping illegal workers without hassling people

who do a lot of traveling back and forth, it can be done, but they seem to enjoy the power they have over people, instead

of working out something that would allow honest people to come and go as they wish.

Many of the cases I have read here of where multiple Visa Exempts were used and the the traveler had some issues or a lot of questions, tended to have some employment or money issues.  The traveler didn't or couldn't show easily documented work outside of Thailand and regular pay/job that required travel and that he then brought money back to Thailand.  Just going in and out, even if perhaps fully retired or financially independent just is a bit outside what immigration seems comfortable with.

• Like 1

I am new to the forum (first post) and new to visa rules and retirement in the Kingdom as well, do please bear with me and the basic questions I may ask. 

I entered Thailand in early Aug. on  a thirty day no visa required basis (USA). I extended through immigration for an additional thirty days. Took a five day trip outside Thailand for five days (late September) and received an additional 30 days upon re-entering.

If I take another trip outside Thailand (duration 16 days), can I reasonably expect another thirty days when I return again?

Ps. I am working towards retirement in Thailand (actually stopped working 2 yrs. ago) and meet the financial, residential, age and health requirements, but have only Five days left on my most recent re-entry stamp.

Edited by Ramen087
typo

1 hour ago, Ramen087 said:

I am new to the forum (first post) and new to visa rules and retirement in the Kingdom as well, do please bear with me and the basic questions I may ask. 

I entered Thailand in early Aug. on  a thirty day no visa required basis (USA). I extended through immigration for an additional thirty days. Took a five day trip outside Thailand for five days (late September) and received an additional 30 days upon re-entering.

If I take another trip outside Thailand (duration 16 days), can I reasonably expect another thirty days when I return again?

Ps. I am working towards retirement in Thailand (actually stopped working 2 yrs. ago) and meet the financial, residential, age and health requirements, but have only Five days left on my most recent re-entry stamp.

You can apply for the 30 day extension to meet the minimum of 15 days requirement needed to apply for a non immigrant visa. You could get the 30 day extension and apply for the visa during the same trip to immigration.

No need to leave for a new entry.

If you are planning an overseas trip anyway, it may be easiest to pick up a single entry Non Imm O visa while outside the country. This simplifies the process of applying for your extension of stay on the basis of retirement at immigration inside Thailand.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the 30 day extension to meet the minimum of 15 days requirement needed to apply for a non immigrant visa. You could get the 30 day extension and apply for the visa during the same trip to immigration.

No need to leave for a new entry.

I appreciate you providing the alternative, and I will consider it seriously. However, I have a friend to meet outside LOS. And my trip is booked ( got confirmation from him shortly after posting... sorry). Am I making the correct inference in your response that upon re-entry I will receive another thirty days & I am highly likely to be processed just like any other tourist?  Newbie question but I do get worried about being refused entry. Thanks to you and brit tim for your advice and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Edited by Ramen087

2 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

I appreciate you providing the alternative, and I will consider it seriously. However, I have a friend to meet outside LOS. And my trip is booked.  Am I making the correct inference in your response that upon re-entry I will receive another thirty days & I am highly likely to be processed just like any other tourist?  Newbie question but I do get worried about being refused entry. Thanks to you and brit tim fork your advice and suggestions. I appreciate it.

You should have no problem on entry to the country to get another visa exempt entry.

Dependent upon where you going on your trip you might be able to apply for a single entry non-o visa. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:28 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the 30 day extension to meet the minimum of 15 days requirement needed to apply for a non immigrant visa. You could get the 30 day extension and apply for the visa during the same trip to immigration. No need to leave for a new entry.

I assume one would file application TM87 (non immigrant visa) and TM7 (temp. extension of stay) for a period of 365 days. I assume you could file both on the same day simultaneously. Correct??     I am trying to figure out which number form corresponds to the Multiple Re-entry Permit. Can anyone help? I also wonder if the multi re-entry permit can be  acquired with the visa and the one year extension. {A bit off original topic, I know}. Basic questions but I cannot seem to locate the correct thread to locate the procedure. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier queries.

21 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

I assume one would file application TM87 (non immigrant visa) and TM7 (temp. extension of stay) for a period of 365 days. I assume you could file both on the same day simultaneously. Correct??     I am trying to figure out which number form corresponds to the Multiple Re-entry Permit. Can anyone help? I also wonder if the multi re-entry permit can be  acquired with the visa and the one year extension. {A bit off original topic, I know}. Basic questions but I cannot seem to locate the correct thread to locate the procedure. Thanks to all who responded to my earlier queries.

You can only apply for the visa. You can only apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

If you want to travel during the 90 days you can get a re-entry permit (TM8 form) to keep it valid.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:55 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can only apply for the visa. You can only apply for the one year extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa.

If you want to travel during the 90 days you can get a re-entry permit (TM8 form) to keep it valid.

Sorry for the extended delay in my reply. So it is TM87 and TM8.  Thank you. 

This is for newbie mostly, by the way.  I went to the BKK government center in Lak Si, Chang wattana. Easy to get to, Skytrain to Mor chit (mrt to chatuchak), then a Taxi. Meter was 138 plus 15 for using the Tollway. Long line but not many there for non immigrant 'o'. Door opened at 08:30 and I was sitting with an immigration officer at ~ 08:45 after getting my queue ticket. Presented form filled out, was asked for notarized statement of income from my embassy citizen services and a copy of my passport and most recent entry stamp.  A few questions regarding why I chose Thailand and Bangkok, a verbal confirm of the Income figure on my form, a very  quick glance at the first page of my lease on my condo and the Officer seems satisfied. Officer assures me I am good for a 90 day visa but can't put a 90 day in my passport today. Gives me a receipt for my 2000 baht payment, and tells me I get a 90 day stamp in two weeks, during which I can also apply for a re-entry permit for 1000 baht single entry. Officer advises me to apply for my multiple entry permit when my 90 visa gets extended to one year. Total time of visit is 35 minutes as I walk out the door at exactly 09:05.

I assume this isn't out the ordinary.

I don't exactly know why I could not get the 90 day today. My visa exemption stamp is 6 DEC. Officer put a 3 DEC stamp in my passport and told me to come back on 2 DEC. I am very glad to do so, and looking forward to learning more about the system.

I sweat the details (sometimes excessively as this thread shows) and I would like to extend my thanks to the forum for helping me through the process. GRACIAS.

12 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

I assume this isn't out the ordinary.

I don't exactly know why I could not get the 90 day today. My visa exemption stamp is 6 DEC. Officer put a 3 DEC stamp in my passport and told me to come back on 2 DEC. I am very glad to do so, and looking forward to learning more about the system.

It is normal procedure.

The visa application has to be approved by a higher ranking officer than the ones normally at the office is the reason for the 15 day wait.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2016 at 2:48 PM, Crossy said:

To be honest I would go for the extension route, hassle once a year rather than (potentially) every couple of weeks.

The immigration officer's computer flags that you have "many" visa-exempt entries, it seems not to tell him anything useful about them so he spends time checking, calls his supervisor who then wants to talk to you "what you do in Thailand?".

Whilst I doubt they would deny you entry, I'd rather be sat in a taxi than an immigration office, and I don't know if they can put a flag on your account to say "don't bother, this one's legit" so you are potentially in for the 3rd degree every time.

best to follow crossy's advice...I've been living in Thailand and working elsewhere since 2003 coming home on leave 3 -4 times per year and an extension is the best way to handle frequent entry issues...ultimately they have the power so best not to give them an excuse to mess wid ye...

plus, if yer working you can handle the yearly extension income requirement with a simple income affidavit from your embassy...no need for a seasoned bank deposit of a large amount of cash...

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 1:48 PM, ubonjoe said:

It is normal procedure.

The visa application has to be approved by a higher ranking officer than the ones normally at the office is the reason for the 15 day wait.

I figured as much. But I am glad you confirmed this as normal procedure. That is what makes this forum so good. When something is an unknown and it is a person's first time negotiating the maze of a government's immigration policies and procedures it is so helpful to get feedback from those that have been there.