Is this roof frame welding acceptable? -photos

nzrick

10 hours ago, carlyai said:

Good points, but the Korat mountain overpass, tunnels is a large engineering project.

Surely they have professional welders, and the correct welding masks and correct power for the welders.

So why put up with faulty welding practice, unless it's the new norm?

I am not a welder, and only had to learn welding as part of my trade, but a continuous weld was the method taught, not the stop/start learned here.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Large projects in LOS employ good workmen, but I doubt you will find them turning up to do a home job for peanuts. My wife employed a local guy to weld a new gate on, but it fell off the next day because he welded over dirty steel and hardly anything actually penetrated.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Large projects in LOS employ good workmen, but I doubt you will find them turning up to do a home job for peanuts. My wife employed a local guy to weld a new gate on, but it fell off the next day because he welded over dirty steel and hardly anything actually penetrated.

Fell off the next day? 

The smaller sizes are harder to find, but I just sent a guy some surplus 1.6mm 6013 I've had laying around for a while.  And I bought some 2.0mm 308 stainless rod from Lazada- 2 day delivery.  I'll restock on the 1.6mm at the Metalex trade show at BITEC in late November.  The shop is in Silom or Sathorn here in BKK but I binned their business card so I don't have the exact address- I never actually went to the shop- once or twice a year at Metalex works out well.

Yeah I read somewhere that you need ...like 1.6 mm rod for the 50mm box section, used for roofs that are about 2mm thick.

I've just finished my shed, so need to put in the work benches, so was going to use this box section and break out the welder again.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

On 20/10/2016 at 10:50 PM, Strange said:

Ok so everything I see in the pictures looks normal from the viewpoint of "Thats how they do it here"

I can't tell if the metal is actually galvanized or if its just a cold gal paint, but either way typically they just booger weld everything then prime it up. IF you are not happy with it, then tell them, but to buff/grind every weld they are probably going to winge or say "no need". Its up to you, but if it was me, id let them get after it, and have a close look as they go and tell them to add a few passes if it looks shitty. After thats done, just prime/paint and forget about that aspect. Not worth freaking out about. 

Now this is a bit more concern. The weight can't sit on the rebar. Its normal for them to weld to the rebar because the exact elevation is hard to get exact with just the concrete columns. While some of the steel is overhanging the columns, there is some above it as well. What I did when I had the same issue, I had the guys take some wood and form up around the column and steel, and poured concrete in. That way its all settling on top of cement and not that rebar. Follow me? 

As far as being amateurish, yeah, its normal. 

And for the tile roof delivery, if they aint done the way you like it, and you are worried about it, just set the load on the ground near the house. They can tote it up there when its ready. But likely it will be fine as long as they don't point-load a whole pallet of tile on the roof. Let it dangle and be unloaded into its position.  

Totally agree, the two guys that built our place are rice farmers, although one of them said his dad was a builder, and I have seen some good builds, I think this guy is really a builder because his building skills and knowledge leaves some builders that I know for dead.

I also thought he was putting on a tile roof, a bit of overkill for a metal roof but as its cheap, why not.

As for the roof bates, I will definitely be doing that, as the reflective thermal insulation does help, but the bates will also do there job.

The price of 530,000 baht sounds reasonable as it cost us about 500,000 baht 9 years ago to build our 64 square metre (one bedroom) 8 x 8 metre bungalow with an 8 x 3 metre (21 square metre) verandah, which is now part of the house and has 2 bedrooms and a family room.

Some photos of the welds on our place and the roof, the tiles weigh about 5 kilo's each

DSC00943.JPG

DSC00944.JPG

DSC00946.JPG

DSC00963.JPG

DSC00956.JPG

DSC00982.JPG

On 10/29/2016 at 7:22 PM, vogie said:

Don't buy them from a builders merchant or the like, you don't know how long they have been on the shelf. The first lot I purchased was from them and were very difficult to strike up. The next lot I bought was from a shop in Rayong similar to a Home Pro, they were far better. As for size, they don't appear to stock the smaller sizes here. 

Rods will last a long time - if they are stored properly, ideally in a "oven"

Is Thailand the last place on earth to still use Red Lead paint? I have not seen it used in a "professional" operation for well over 30 years!

On 10/28/2016 at 0:24 PM, Grubster said:

I think they are not done yet as the butt weld on the vertical steel in 1st photo is not done.   I have done a lot of welding to specs, but I must say that a bugger weld will hold pretty good but sure is hard to look at. Kannot's welds in picture #2 look strong, the plates on #3 look like overkill, but that is better than not good enough.

u needed to  see what  was under  those  plates  to  appreciate  why i got them added, heres  a  taster 

IMAG1130-web.jpg

4 hours ago, kannot said:

u needed to  see what  was under  those  plates  to  appreciate  why i got them added, heres  a  taster 

Looks like shiiiiiiiit but pretty normal how they do it just booger stitch the gap (or not lol)

Looks like they turned the little welding machine up to maximum and used the rod to make that "cut"

Archived