Yamaha Xmax 300 coming to Thailand?

jackcorbett

I wasted my time yesterday by actually thinking that the Northern Motorbike Expo in Chiang Mai just might have a new Honda Forza 300 on display.  Not only did this fake expo not have a Forza, it had NO Honda models, NO Suzuki models and in total there were only 26 models in total.  Yamaha were the leaders but only if you were looking for a scooter, no big bikes and only one Xmax 300.  Kawasaki had four bikes and the rest were from two obscure brands, Stallion and Gtx/Grt????  And they had the nerve to advertise this all over Chiang Mai for the past ten days, a foo...k n joke but so typical of how things work in Thailand.  Since there was a lovely dark grey Xmax I decided,, knowing of course the outcome, to ask about price, wait time and deposit/down payment.  Getting the price was no problem, the lad even volentered that it was going to be 3 months before I could get one here in Chiang Mai, after that it was a waste of time getting any further information, even using Google translator.  I will not be fooled again when I see another Motorbike Expo advertised here.  Now I can only hope that the Bangkok Auto Show will actually have a decent motorbike section as in previous years.  One final personal note, ain't no way I am waiting three months for any maxi scooter, I will entice the salesperson with a brown envelope and should that fail I will simply ungrade to a Yamaha Tmax 530, the Suzuki Burgman 650 or the BMW 650GT.  At least those are available within three days here in Chiang Mai.

Nice! Funny how it looks like the Xmax is the smaller of the two from that angle.

Yea.. i shouldve pulled the rear of the Xmax out more but i was on a narrow one way street and was in a rush.. so had to make do... in a way.. i also wanted it to look like it was kinda of asking acceptance from the nmax..[emoji1].. here some more picsIMG_1497.JPGIMG_1514.JPGIMG_1438.JPGIMG_1480.JPGIMG_1430.JPGIMG_1421.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Thanks 1

On 11/10/2017 at 3:16 AM, Trikyle said:

IMG_1497.JPGIMG_1514.JPGIMG_1438.JPGIMG_1480.JPGIMG_1430.JPGIMG_1421.JPG

1 hour ago, MrJ said:

1.800km on the clock - very happy so farIMG_0109.thumb.jpg.8e276d172a68d11292bf27c285c78fc5.jpg

IMG_0109.thumb.jpg.8e276d172a68d11292bf27c285c78fc5.jpgIMG_0106.thumb.jpg.73f9b44522f3747b3b74aaa01748ef55.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

You guys have quite a nice collection of scooters! 

MRJ: No wonder you have that wind problem with that small windscreen, I thought the taller type windscreen was the standard.

Whoa, just noticed you added the Akrapovic! :clap2:

Trikyle: Would you describe the ride quality of your Nmax to be more 'stiffer' than that of your Xmax? Is that a pic of them delivering your Xmax off of the truck?

Really nice looking 300s! :stoner:

Edited by Ahnsahn
  • Like 1

You guys have quite a nice collection of scooters! 

MRJ: No wonder you have that wind problem with that small windscreen, I thought the taller type windscreen was the standard.
Whoa, just noticed you added the Akrapovic! :clap2:

Trikyle: Would you describe the ride quality of your Nmax to be more 'stiffer' than that of your Xmax? Is that a pic of them delivering your Xmax off of the truck?

Really nice looking 300s! :stoner:

Yep, that’s delivery day. I have 250 km so far.. and have been putting my thoughts on paper.. maybe I’ll put up a small review / comparison between the nmax and Xmax if guys are interested. To answer your question.. then Xmax is stiffer.. possibly because it’s new?.. lol... straight away filtering in Bangkok traffic is surprisingly easy (provided there’s enough room because the rear is fatter and slightly longer). The added weight and its low center of gravity of the Xmax makes its an ease.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, Trikyle said:

Yep, that’s delivery day. I have 250 km so far.. and have been putting my thoughts on paper.. maybe I’ll put up a small review / comparison between the nmax and Xmax if guys are interested. To answer your question.. then Xmax is stiffer.. possibly because it’s new?.. lol... straight away filtering in Bangkok traffic is surprisingly easy (provided there’s enough room because the rear is fatter and slightly longer). The added weight and its low center of gravity of the Xmax makes its an ease.

Great idea: A review / comparison of your Nmax and Xmax 300 to the Forza 300 and the PCX 150 (as well as 300 class vs 150 class scooters in general) is exactly what is needed! For example, your statement: "The added weight and its low center of gravity of the Xmax makes it an ease", how does this compare to the Forza with its added weight and low center of gravity?  Also, how do they compare in filtering, handling, acceleration. What, if any, do differences in wheel size affect handling and performance? Would after market shocks improve the ride? Etc., etc.

• Like 1

Great idea: A review / comparison of your Nmax and Xmax 300 to the Forza 300 and the PCX 150 (as well as 300 class vs 150 class scooters in general) is exactly what is needed! For example, your statement: "The added weight and its low center of gravity of the Xmax makes it an ease", how does this compare to the Forza with its added weight and low center of gravity?  Also, how do they compare in filtering, handling, acceleration. What, if any, do differences in wheel size affect handling and performance? Would after market shocks improve the ride? Etc., etc.

Ok, im working on it. I have no Forza experience so I cant compare but I can certainly compare to my nmax.. wheel size definitely affects.. the Xmax handles almost like a smaller sports tourer...stay tuned ..

7 hours ago, Trikyle said:

Hi all, I thought I'd jot down some thoughts on my initial impressions of the new 2017 Yamaha Xmax in comparison to the 2016 Yamaha Nmax and also a slight comparison in regards to riding position to my previous sports tourer , a 2005 Kawasaki concours. This is to help those thinking of getting the nmax or Xmax. First off , I want to put the other scooter out of this equation. I’d agree 100% that then Yamaha nmax blows the Honda pcx away. I had a 2014. Many reviews and comparison on those two out there.
Im 5’10”... 177cm and 86kg. Inseam of 32. Experienced in city traffic riding in NYC, Bangkok.
The first 250 km on the Xmax was ridden locally in Bangkok, but mostly solo from Bangkok to Ayutthaya to visit family.

1. Is it worth 168,000 baht.
-thats relative. To me.. it is.

2. Does it meet my expectation.
-Yes and then some

3. What I like about it.
-More power
-higher seating position.
-Excellent large 45L underseat storage.
-Surprisingly more stabile in straight line filtering through Bangkok traffic at low speeds than the max due to stiffer steering response.
-Fatter tires.. increase stability at higher speeds on major roads.
-increased fuel tank for longer touring increases the miles between gas station fill ups.
-keyless remote.

4.Why not buy a real bike.
-I don’t need nor want to. I Usually ride locally or small trips to visit family. If I need to go farther , Id take a car or a plane. Im old. My ass like AC and comfort. I also don’t wanna spend anymore than I have to.
-chains. I just don’t wanna deal with it. nuff of it in this life.

5.its speed and power
-I had it up to 120 bangkok to/from Ayutthaya. Very nice. The high seating position was an advantage of course.
-I usually baby my bike unless Im in an emergency sit. I gotta quickly get out of.
-Im not a speed guy but she’s quick. I believe the power bandwidth goes past 140-150. Other reviews are out there
-didn't feel any negative vibrations but.. I wear gloves and I was on a new bike high. Lol
-I have enough injuries and I'm not looking for anymore. Road conditions(sand, oil, fish oil, cow shit, coconut shells and the worldwide popular potholes..etc... including other motorist on the road are the worst I've ever seen,and I've seen enough for one lifetime. I think we all know that. Large motoring population+ poor road maintenance (most are good tho)+ lack of education + modern tech in car and cctv cams = wonderful final destinations tutoring youtube videos and FB postings.. That being said...I'm fine being last.

6. Windshield
-two positions. I have it at the higher position. I may get a taller wider one, not sure yet. There is slight buffeting at high speed wearing a full helmet. Depending on your torso height, you may or may not get some bug DOAS on your face shield.

7.Dimensions
-According to Yamaha spec sheets its 10 inches linger with the same width across. I find the width part unbelievable. The 45 L trunk is Fat and wide. It can accommodate a medium shark spartan and a Shoe Rf1200 with sena 20s and Go pro mounts and then some perfectly. The front width of the handlebars appears to be an exact match . I added Mirror mount risers so I done have to tilt my head down. Works.

8.Power outlet `
-I added a 4 usb channel charger and the wires stickup perfectly with the cover locked and closed to charge a tomtom rider and iPhone on a quad lock case and mounts. The tomtom shook a bit at high speeds and bumps but quad lock was steady as a rock streaming iheartradio and google maps.

9.Improvements
-Taller and wider windshield for touring?
-yss g sport shocks?
-yss front fork springs upgrade?
-im just being picky.. these are upgrades but it really doesn’t need it if your doing just city riding.

11.Maintenance
-20000km.. change the belt..other than oil changes...thats it.. me like

10. What Id like to change and impressions
- the geometry of the seating position from upper torso to handlebars to neck and eye level sight is quite different between the max and Xmax, ideally I like it equal my Kawasaki concoursbut the Xmax has a bit more.. sporty lean… you lean in a bit lower and more. In Long distance.. it can strain more of your shoulders and back. But in city riding.. its fine. I know handlebar risers would do the trick but they’d never mass produce and manufacture such a thing. .. again I’m just being picky and everyones body profile and dynamics are different. Could I change to a lower seat to get a more touring seating position.. I guess I could.. but I may lose out on the sporty lean . A taller windshield could also help in my seating position. No bike is ever perfect. Just thoughts. Note.. a solo 3.5 hr ride from Bangkok to Lamnarai on the nmax was better for my shoulders. The nmax handled quite well, just a little light in weight on the bigger roads. The Xmax I believe has 100lbs over it.
-im not sure as my memory fades but this may be the highest seating position on a bike Ive ever rode.
-corner filtering may be slightly more difficult in bangkok traffic than nmax, but ill b fine
- the rear shocks seem fine for city traffic.

-at 168000baht,, its not for everyone… its not a small scooter. It doesn’t ride like a small scooter. Im not even sure how ill park in some of the busier malls in bangkok… Hard to get in to MBK scooter parking.. but I don’t quite fit in to big bike parking… hmmm.. Im sure Ill find a workaround tho..

-nmax is perfect for city riding. Its one of the best. The xmax 300 is for someone who wants a little more without going to a full size bike. The unseat storage is CAVERNOUS for grocery shopping.. which is what I do. lol

-I should mention I normally ride 50% of the time 2 up… she feels the rear seat is really big and sits up closer to the front with me because the Yamaha rear rack I ordered isn’t in from the shop yet , so I haven’t attached my givi trunk for her to lean on. Shes 45 kg.. so when the light turns green.. Id like to wake her up a bit… lolemoji847.png

- thanks for reading if you made it this far. Hope I didn’t waste too much of your time. cheers

Very good comprehensive review! :clap2:
You ticked all the boxes. 

Question: How does 2up riding on the Nmax compare with 2up riding on the Xmax and the 2014 Honda PCX? Is the ride smoother? Is the handling better? Also in comparison, what would be the level of comfort of the pillion riding on the Nmax on a trip to Ayutthaya?

Very good comprehensive review! :clap2:
You ticked all the boxes. 
Question: How does 2up riding on the Nmax compare with 2up riding on the Xmax and the 2014 Honda PCX? Is the ride smoother? Is the handling better? Also in comparison, what would be the level of comfort of the pillion riding on the Nmax on a trip to Ayutthaya?

2 up riding on the Xmax is better.. heavier shocks.. but a little rough. Forget the PCX. And anyone riding long distance from Bangkok to Ayutthaya on the back pillion on the nmax would not be as comfortable as on the Xmax. It’s just a bigger better bike.

nice review Trikyle

do you know where is it possible to see the X300 in Yamaha shop in BKK ?

Thanks.. hoping it gives insight to those that are looking to purchase one. My dealer had said these are currently hard to come by. Even if he has one in stock that a pre order change thier mind it will be priced higher than 168,000. May i suggest joining and following the xmax club thailand page on facebook. All the dealers are on it and you post and ask there. Every once in a while a dealer or a member (that wants to sell his down payment receipt) will post one up. Good luck

• Like 1

On 11/15/2017 at 11:37 PM, Trikyle said:

2 up riding on the Xmax is better.. heavier shocks.. but a little rough. Forget the PCX. And anyone riding long distance from Bangkok to Ayutthaya on the back pillion on the nmax would not be as comfortable as on the Xmax. It’s just a bigger better bike.

I totally agree with your choice of YSS-G Sport shocks to help improve the performance and quality of ride of these classes of scooters especially on bumpy roads.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I would think that the cigarette type power sockets installed on bikes do have a limit as to how much power they will provide.

They will all be 12v but the amperage can differ.  It depends partially on wire gauge used and fuzes installed.

Those little compressors can 'suck' a bit of power and some of the cheaper ones have very small gauge leads that heat up when under load.

I'd be very hesitant on using a compressor via cigarette type plug unless I knew the rest of the configuration ie wiring.  If the fuse doesn't blow then the risk is that your wiring may catch fire.....not a good scenerio.

On bikes I'd rather carry a can of tyre 'pando' or something similar.

I would think that the cigarette type power sockets installed on bikes do have a limit as to how much power they will provide.

They will all be 12v but the amperage can differ.  It depends partially on wire gauge used and fuzes installed.

Those little compressors can 'suck' a bit of power and some of the cheaper ones have very small gauge leads that heat up when under load.

I'd be very hesitant on using a compressor via cigarette type plug unless I knew the rest of the configuration ie wiring.  If the fuse doesn't blow then the risk is that your wiring may catch fire.....not a good scenerio.

On bikes I'd rather carry a can of tyre 'pando' or something similar.

That all makes sense, I have a power outlet that can be connected straight to the battery which is identical to a cars power outlet.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 20/08/2017 at 10:25 PM, Ahnsahn said:

.... I hear ya', 
w/o actually have test rode the Xmax (like Mr. J was able to), the Xmax looks to be The Number One 300 cc mid-size scooter to have right now. I too, would definitely like one and would lean more towards the brownish color and I agree that the yellow color really stands out but the grey color would be my second choice. Luckily (sadly?), my situation gives me the option of waiting a few months before making a purchase. In that time, Honda could release an updated Forza 300 version that is a clone of the Forza 125, sold in UK, which in itself is practically a copy of the Xmax 300: 15" -14" wheels, nice dashboard, etc. - I would jump on a blue-white-grey color model in a NY minute!

Forza 125.jpg

Forza 125 (Dashboard) .jpg

Not really a mid sized scooter, I'd call is small. The Forza "bath-tub" as you call it is a good mid sized scooter..IMO. Plenty of leg room for both riders and storage for trips too.

Thank you Ahnsahn. Kinds words brother. I didnt do it for the ‘eye candy’ but more for a better feel for comfort especially the front fork upgrade.
Same exhaust just an extra sticker.
I asked them to readjusted the front forks right away after the install because all I ride is Bangkok and I wanted a softer response ( obviously ) from all the uneveness from Bangkok streets.
I may have to play and continuously adjust the rebound on the g-sport rear shocksfor a bit until im satisfied with the different amount of daily wieght I put on her. Ill let you know.
If I change anything else.. itll be the seat.. if the ever come out with a lower / narrower seat that doesn’t compromise the interior 45Liter storage... oh and also a better more user friendly left hand controller with a better placed passing light.

10 hours ago, Trikyle said:

Thank you Ahnsahn. Kinds words brother. I didnt do it for the ‘eye candy’ but more for a better feel for comfort especially the front fork upgrade.
Same exhaust just an extra sticker.
I asked them to readjusted the front forks right away after the install because all I ride is Bangkok and I wanted a softer response ( obviously ) from all the uneveness from Bangkok streets.
I may have to play and continuously adjust the rebound on the g-sport rear shocksfor a bit until im satisfied with the different amount of daily wieght I put on her. Ill let you know.
If I change anything else.. itll be the seat.. if the ever come out with a lower / narrower seat that doesn’t compromise the interior 45Liter storage... oh and also a better more user friendly left hand controller with a better placed passing light.

It should be sweet when you find that perfect balance point between front and rear suspension settings. :coffee1:
Don't let my 'eye candy' comment in any way detract from the far more magnitude of importance of your upgrades - they just add the additional benefit of increasing your scooter's already good looks. I too, will be doing the same upgrades as soon as I get my scooter. A perfect fitting seat is also an important factor to the rider in the overall quality of the scooter and the XMax and Forza 300 do have wide seats, IMO, though the XMax seat is visibly a couple of inches or so longer in length than the seat of the Forza 300.

How long did it take the mechanics to complete the work on your scooter?