May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

10 hours ago, Flustered said:

Just been watching Parliament live from the House of Lords. I have a question for all those who are so concerned about the EU people working in the UK.

What about the UK citizens in the EU, why do they not matter?

The Labour, Lib Dem and Luvvie Lords do not care one fig about the UK citizens. Michael Howard has put forward a very articulate speech asking the bill to go through quickly so that both EU citizens and UK citizens can rest easy. The other side to a person has stated that the EU citizens must come first.

What a slap in the face to the UK populace in general. You do not matter, you can sit and fret while EU citizens are safe and secure.

I ask again, what about the UK citizens in the EU, why do they not matter?

The plight  of UK citizens in the EU as a UK dimension in play , is the government going to continue paying for UK pensioners healthcare via the S1 form post brexit.

30 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Please,please do not think of him as being Yorkshire. That would be an insult to over 5 million people. In addition to one very famous Yorkshireman who will always be associated with the Palace of Westminster.

image.jpeg

It has always been clear that many here just don't care for our parliamentary democracy. It's working reasonably well. BTW it's the House of Commons that is not functioning well at the moment.

Just now, Grouse said:

It has always been clear that many here just don't care for our parliamentary democracy. It's working reasonably well. BTW it's the House of Commons that is not functioning well at the moment.

Once again, Nontabury pops up from behind his ignore security blanket but dare not debate with me directly! Is that what Yorkshiremen are reduced to? So much for straight talking, eh!

• Like 1

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/theresa-may-welfare-cuts-million-children-poverty-institute-fiscal-studies-uk-government-a7606236.html%3Famp

When will the numpties realise that the Con Party does not care about them?

May may be ready for tough talks over Brexit but she doesn't give a damn about the average British family. Things are going to get worse not better

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/39128037

Mark my words: "the average British family will rue the day they fell for the demagoguery of Farage and co and voted to leave the EU".

Edited by Grouse
Shame

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Grouse that is one of the most outrageous things you have written on here and you have said some. Is that your Yorkshire humour!  you will be saying that the Labour party are a viable opposition to the government next.The House of Lords is one of the most outdated, boys club network that does very little and have always been out of touch, of the common/normal person. It is far to dominated by political parties and those born of titles and the sooner it is dismantled, the better. When you have lords getting paid 300 pound a day for jumping out of a taxi and signing in, others asleep, it is time to close it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/35334594/verify?token=E5IorgIXyiqi4xFRdxl3

You want something like the American system no doubt? How disfunctional is that? 

What's the difference between a senator and a member of the House of Representatives? It costs more to bribe a senator ?

The House of Lords works just fine; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. (300 quid a day? I wouldn't get out of bed for that)

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

Please,please do not think of him as being Yorkshire. That would be an insult to over 5 million people. In addition to one very famous Yorkshireman who will always be associated with the Palace of Westminster.

image.jpeg

So old Guido is a hero of yours? A mercenary for papist Spain against Protestant Netherlands?

He and his gang were trying to murder King James 1 of England ( James 6 of Scotland) primarily because he was a Protestant! This was the time of Shakespeare hardly uncivilised. I did not know Yorkshire had become such a hot bed of papist plots ?!

3 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Grouse that is one of the most outrageous things you have written on here and you have said some. Is that your Yorkshire humour!  you will be saying that the Labour party are a viable opposition to the government next.The House of Lords is one of the most outdated, boys club network that does very little and have always been out of touch, of the common/normal person. It is far to dominated by political parties and those born of titles and the sooner it is dismantled, the better. When you have lords getting paid 300 pound a day for jumping out of a taxi and signing in, others asleep, it is time to close it.

https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/35334594/verify?token=E5IorgIXyiqi4xFRdxl3

I guess you would be agitating to close it by Royal Prerogative. :cheesy:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I guess you would be agitating to close it by Royal Prerogative. :cheesy:

Actually it was a 'tounge in cheek gesture' as other posters way back in this or another thread put the petition for a second referendum. I think that petitions have little value.  I would close it as it is an antiquated system to keep the rich in power.

13 hours ago, Khun Han said:

You have to view this as a rearguard action by remain to make the UK government's negotiating position much more difficult. Secure the rights of EU citizens living in the UK, and UK citizens living in the EU are exposed and become a very poweful bargaining point for the EU negotiators. It's through this and other subtle challenges to the UK government's brexit position, that remain hope that brexit will unravel, and we will be forced to accept a humiliating deal with the EU.

Whilst I agree with the 'thrust' of your post - I doubt the UK government care very much about their citizens living in EU countries, so suspect they will be a minor bargaining point rather than a "very powerful bargaining point for the EU".

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No I don't want the House of Lords who are privileged, dimwits out of touch with the people.

As for not getting out of bed for 300 pound you are lucky, many people don't get that a week and it is that rich ideology that goes someway, why the UK is in a mess. The lords don't deserve that much for what they do.

141 pages on this thread and all the discussion, complaining and at times name calling from some posters and people still don't get it. The UK is leaving the EU and all the complaining and moaning will not stop it. The House of Lords included.

The HoL amendment is in accordance with the Leave campaign.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

If they mattered at all, they would have been allowed to vote on their own future. Bit late to start taking the high ground.

They could have done if they were registered voters.

A thought for you Sandy.

How many of them do you think are still registered voters and how many of them bothered to vote? Personally I don't have a clue, but I do know that I had the right to vote and instructed my proxy voter which way I wanted to vote.

I did and I live in Thailand. 3 weeks ago I got a letter from Somerset County Council Electoral Registration reminding me to re-register which I did online.

Edited by billd766

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

No I don't want the House of Lords who are privileged, dimwits out of touch with the people.

As for not getting out of bed for 300 pound you are lucky, many people don't get that a week and it is that rich ideology that goes someway, why the UK is in a mess. The lords don't deserve that much for what they do.

141 pages on this thread and all the discussion, complaining and at times name calling from some posters and people still don't get it. The UK is leaving the EU and all the complaining and moaning will not stop it. The House of Lords included.

You really believe the House of Lords are dimwits? I don't think so......Privileged, certainly. Out of touch? Some, but not all.

60,000 a year is hardly excessive though I do think there are too many Lords now.

It is you that "don't get it" I'm sorry to say. How many times do we "Remoaners" have to say that we accept Brexit however foolish it may be. The issue now is the "Ts & Cs".

It is a pity that so many have not noticed the new glee with which the Con Party are taking to Brexit? Has it not dawned on you yet?

Some people will do extremely well what ever happens ( look up arbitrage for starters and then look up profiteering)

Others (and sadly that includes the numpties) will get shafted

Watch and weep!

*Lord Tebbit: people of nationalities of other countries within the union are foreigners.

Why is everybody here today so excited about an amendment that looks after the foreigners and not the British.

All those Lords remoaners stating why should foreigners face an certainly for at least 2 years during negotiations....

Nothing mentioned about concerned overseas British citizens, their rights and welfare?

It beggars belief...

* Metro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, citybiker said:

*Lord Tebbit: people of nationalities of other countries within the union are foreigners.

Why is everybody here today so excited about an amendment that looks after the foreigners and not the British.

All those Lords remoaners stating why should foreigners face an certainly for at least 2 years during negotiations....

Nothing mentioned about concerned overseas British citizens, their rights and welfare?

It beggars belief...

* Metro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tebbit has always been a lovely chap

Represents everything good about The British!

Maybe he wants to give our residents from the EU bicycles?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/230675/Get-on-your-bike-Norman-Tebbit-says-again

Edited by Grouse
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You really believe the House of Lords are dimwits? I don't think so......Privileged, certainly. Out of touch? Some, but not all.

60,000 a year is hardly excessive though I do think there are too many Lords now.

It is you that "don't get it" I'm sorry to say. How many times do we "Remoaners" have to say that we accept Brexit however foolish it may be. The issue now is the "Ts & Cs".

It is a pity that so many have not noticed the new glee with which the Con Party are taking to Brexit? Has it not dawned on you yet?

Some people will do extremely well what ever happens ( look up arbitrage for starters and then look up profiteering)

Others (and sadly that includes the numpties) will get shafted

Watch and weep!

Yes many of them are dimwits. just by not being in touch with the people qualifies them for that. Also many of them are Europhiles who are happy to continue taking EU money and pensions. We have different views which is obvious. you have stated before that you consider yourself European. I do not I am British which is a country in Europe. I never agreed with the EU and whatever happens being free from the EU shackles is enough for me. I have faith and believe in the people of the UK to be able to feed itself, compete in business and not have to bow down and be told what to do.

"But the Prime Minister is confident the amendment will be rejected by the Commons later this month, and Downing Street insisted the timetable for Brexit “remains unchanged”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/01/brexit-lords-vote-debate-theresa-may-pmqs-live/

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 2

One Lord talking sense for once.

Lord Lamont, the former Tory chancellor, said: “It is an attempt to impose conditions on the negotiation, which I think is inappropriate because the purpose of the Bill is simply to trigger the start of withdraw negotiations

“I think they are doing a disservice to the national interest. You shouldn’t be imposing conditions [on the Government]. The negotiations need flexibility. 

“I hope that it will be rejected by the Commons and sent back here. If that is not the end of the matter I think the Lords will be playing with fire.”

• Like 1

I was a little shocked and embarrassed to find out that a certain "game bird" is from Yorkshire. from the way he posts, I could have sworn he was Scotch.

6 posts in a row. If you push the + button, you cam do multiple quotes on a single post. Sometimes when not responding to another FM a few consecutive posts look OK but 6 is excessive. I realise that not all old people are computer savvy so FYI you just push the + button on the post.

You have failed to give any reasonable answers as to why the UK citizens in the EU are being ignored. Oh wait a minute, you have never answered that question. It is pivotal to the whole issue of granting EU citizens UK status.

Why do you want to leave the UK citizens in the EU high and dry? What has happened to you that you would turn your back on fellow countrymen? Why do the EU citizens come before your own countrymen?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Flustered said:

I was a little shocked and embarrassed to find out that a certain "game bird" is from Yorkshire. from the way he posts, I could have sworn he was Scotch.

6 posts in a row. If you push the + button, you cam do multiple quotes on a single post. Sometimes when not responding to another FM a few consecutive posts look OK but 6 is excessive. I realise that not all old people are computer savvy so FYI you just push the + button on the post.

You have failed to give any reasonable answers as to why the UK citizens in the EU are being ignored. Oh wait a minute, you have never answered that question. It is pivotal to the whole issue of granting EU citizens UK status.

Why do you want to leave the UK citizens in the EU high and dry? What has happened to you that you would turn your back on fellow countrymen? Why do the EU citizens come before your own countrymen?

It is a charade being played out for domestic consumption

The principle of respect of acquired rights , will mean most rights will be protected