May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

23 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Good god! Is that how you would present a pheasant? What's in the tumbler? Coke? Where are the game chips? And the cutlery! Where are you? America? ?

Actually, the best way is to rip the breasts off, seal in butter and olive oil and then simmer in a decent red with shallots. Drink with the best claret you can afford....

( and then buy a chicken vindaloo!)

The Field is alway a good reference!

If you insist upon eating my brethren, here's how ?

http://www.thefield.co.uk/food/recipes/game/traditional-roast-grouse-recipe-21072

Louis Jadot Cote de Beaune goes jolly well!

Edited by Grouse

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

A collapsing EU/Euro is the result of a EU being driven into the ground by non elected officials who do not give a damn where the money comes from as long as they can keep their snouts in the trough.

For example... http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/781470/European-Union-Eurocrats-axe-debate-EU-parliament-budget

Austerity? Why do Bremoaners always harp on about austerity. Any austerity will be because the EU are determined to punish the UK simply for exercising their democratic right and to serve as a warning to any other country wanting to exercise their democratic right....The EU, democracy at work...Yeah Right.

Now the crunch. firms cancelling contracts with councils and councils saying they do not have enough money.

One of the biggest reasons is the cost of labour. Now we have a living wage, the wage bill has risen considerably and the amount councils pay these care providers is not enough to cover costs. So why don't councils pay more? Simple, There have been several reports showing that by 2025, many councils will be spending over 50% of their council tax receipts on their pensions. Rather than cut back on these or completely overhaul the schemes, they prefer to cut costs elsewhere such as social care.

Pensions paid from tax receipts do not work. With an ever growing number entitled to pensions, more and more tax is required to pay them. The State pension is the classic example, only a matter of time before it implodes.

Quite. Government workers are paid well enough with better than average employment conditions and terms. Their pension scheme is absurdly generous and needs winding down. I have several friends who achieved middle management status in local government jobs, who retired at 55 ( one managed to retire at 54), and now live the life of Riley purely off the back of their government pensions. I also have a friend who was a senior police officer who retired at 50.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flustered said:

Any austerity will be because the EU are determined to punish the UK simply for exercising their democratic right and to serve as a warning to any other country wanting to exercise their democratic right....

nice try! rabugento1.gif

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

Quite. Government workers are paid well enough with better than average employment conditions and terms. Their pension scheme is absurdly generous and needs winding down. I have several friends who achieved middle management status in local government jobs, who retired at 55 ( one managed to retire at 54), and now live the life of Riley purely off the back of their government pensions. I also have a friend who was a senior police officer who retired at 50.

Perhaps you could give us some details of these absurd public sector pensions terms and conditions that you speak about. 

57 minutes ago, Grouse said:

The Field is alway a good reference!

If you insist upon eating my brethren, here's how ?

http://www.thefield.co.uk/food/recipes/game/traditional-roast-grouse-recipe-21072

Louis Jadot Cote de Beaune goes jolly well!

I preferred home-shot pigeon breasts under the grill with English mustard on the open side...

The Ferrets had the rest :smile:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flustered said:

A collapsing EU/Euro is the result of a EU being driven into the ground by non elected officials who do not give a damn where the money comes from as long as they can keep their snouts in the trough.

For example... http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/781470/European-Union-Eurocrats-axe-debate-EU-parliament-budget

Austerity? Why do Bremoaners always harp on about austerity. Any austerity will be because the EU are determined to punish the UK simply for exercising their democratic right and to serve as a warning to any other country wanting to exercise their democratic right....The EU, democracy at work...Yeah Right.

Now the crunch. firms cancelling contracts with councils and councils saying they do not have enough money.

One of the biggest reasons is the cost of labour. Now we have a living wage, the wage bill has risen considerably and the amount councils pay these care providers is not enough to cover costs. So why don't councils pay more? Simple, There have been several reports showing that by 2025, many councils will be spending over 50% of their council tax receipts on their pensions. Rather than cut back on these or completely overhaul the schemes, they prefer to cut costs elsewhere such as social care.

Pensions paid from tax receipts do not work. With an ever growing number entitled to pensions, more and more tax is required to pay them. The State pension is the classic example, only a matter of time before it implodes.

So its perfectly acceptable to under fund services as long as there is a reason. Well, that's a new one.

On 3/19/2017 at 11:54 PM, Flustered said:

Nothing nasty about what I post, more a case of trying to follow mixed metaphors and grammatically incorrect English from someone who is capable of making sense when they want to.

Regarding this thread, you often make some very good points and then either contradict them or become confusing and intelligible. If you kept to the subject and made clear what it was you were trying to say, more people would see your point of view.

As a compliment, you should be a politician. Your answers are never to the point and always avoid the question. I think Hong Kong has had too much of a confusing influence on you.

If there is one thing we can do without it is some Brexiteer(s) trying to convey a sense of authority by adopting the persona of a pompous schoolmaster doing the grammar cha-cha-cha. Somehow the thinly disguised unpleasantness just keeps on and on. If that is the intention, don't be surprised if the thread is closed due to nonsense of the above type.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

If there is one thing we can do without it is some Brexiteer(s) trying to convey a sense of authority by adopting the persona of a pompous schoolmaster doing the grammar cha-cha-cha. Somehow the thinly disguised unpleasantness just keeps on and on. If that is the intention, don't be surprised if the thread is closed due to nonsense of the above type.

Do you ever contribute anything constructive?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flustered said:

Correct.  However, I would say that Brexit, and Indyref2 are diversions.  Quite simply, we are at the end of boom times.  Even during good times, budgets were stretched. I agree pensions, aside from the standard UK pension, are hopelessly out of kilter with the present financial climate.  The fact is we all lost money during the crisis, and I don't think private pensions should be protected. Why?  They lost money on risky investments.

Yes I concur firms are cancelling contracts, as it simply is not possible for them to provide services on the pittance offered.

And the NHS has to duck responsibilities.  Even as he lay on his death bed gasping for breath, my dad (would have) received the news that NHS did not consider he had a priority need any longer, and that health funding was being withdrawn.

Simply no money.  And it will get worse.  It won't be Brexit though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Nothing to do with under funding services, I don't see how you read that into it.

It's all about how councils and other public sectors handle their budgets. They feel that the answer is always more tax.

Anyone with half a brain cell can see that as the population increases, there will never be enough money to pay pensions if you rely on taxation. A complete overhaul of the pension system is needed. (just remembered, We had the best private pension scheme in the world until the Brown destroyer ruined it).

If you take pension payments out of the council tax bill, all of the services become viable.  My wife and I realised at an early age that we would need money in our old age so we went without holidays, didn't drink (excessively) or smoke and put every penny we could into a private pension fund. That's why we could retire at 55 and enjoy our old age without relying on the State pension which we have also paid into of course. Now we just travel and enjoy ourselves.

My overall thinking on this is that people should take responsibility for themselves and not rely on the State or Public sector to fund their retirement. I know many countries where there are no State pensions and people seem to get on OK. Mind you, the family unit is a lot closer there as they look after each other, not like America or Europe.

On another note but to do with the thread subject.....Mary Doll Sturgeon took a right hammering in the debate today on television. Her days are numbered. if she manages to have a referendum, I hope she has the decency to resign when she looses..

Fair play to you, but what I would say is that you lived in golden times when the big dream worked.  In the same position now, I wouldn't mind betting you wouldn't have enough money to put aside for a rainy day, let alone a decent pension.  Still, living and working through the 70's couldn't have been much fun.  Perhaps situations even themselves out over time.

My niece, and her partner, are both highly qualified and very hard working. Yet it's all they can do to meet the rent and living expenses. They are even having difficulty paying off uni fees.  Times have changed.

Personal responsibility and independence are important.  Sadly both have come to me rather late.  I need to say though that every human being has an aversion to doing hard things, and many aspects of our life are best left to collective effort.  An unwelcome and insidious consequence of freedom has been that governments have a free hand to avoid providing for their poorest people.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2017 at 2:14 PM, Flustered said:

I hope this works but I see more lawyers and other "do gooders" sticking their oar in and it ending up in the courts again.

It's about time people realised that the HoC is the ONLY elected chamber representing the citizens of the UK that we have.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/781048/Theresa-May-Henry-VIII-convert-EU-law-Brexit

On 19/03/2017 at 3:28 PM, Naam said:

why not going back to Guillaume le Conquérant (also known as William the Conqueror)? :whistling:

A 'Henry VIII' clause is one that allows the government (effectively) to change a law by means of a regulation.  They are generally considered a bad idea, because there is almost no chance of scrutiny.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Try 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s finally ending up in Iraq during and after the Sadam years.

I did what I had to do and that meant traveling, working all hours, and mainly in dangerous areas yes it paid off and my wife and I enjoy the fruits of our labours.

I would disagree about today. If anything there are more opportunities for anyone prepared to think outside the box.

My own daughter (41) is a single mother with a teenage son living in London. She put herself through night class and became a chartered accountant without any help from me or her mother (ex wife).

Despite her background, she works with me to invest and mange her savings as well as put aside money for a pension. It doesn't take much knowledge to invest money and get a decent return well above bank interest rates. (Top tip...Lloyds Bank, Shire Pharmacueticals and Berkeley Group for long term hold and good dividends...should see a 20% + gain over the next 2 years)

My point is all about taking responsibility. We will be so much better off after Brexit (hard or soft). The opportunities are there for the taking provided that we don't get Mr Corbyn in as PM.

It's good to hear success stories, but in all honesty you are not in any way a person of average abilities.

If anything, I am an underachiever.

Never went to university as I come from a poor family and had to start work early. Came up the hard way through the army and they taught me to look after myself as no one else would. Learned to use the system rather than fight it.

I am so looking forward to the opportunities offered by Brexit. The talks will be hard and in the end industry and commerce will put the politicians in their place as jobless people mean lost votes...... the politicians nightmare.

Look for many more trade agreements between the UK and Asia and the opportunities these offer. If the EU play hard, there is nothing we buy from them that cannot be bought cheaper elsewhere.

There is a lot of crap written in these forums but that last sentence has to be right up there.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 2

Interesting article in the Telegraph today which might upset the die hard remainers on here.

It came as a poll showed that Remain voters appear to be warming to the idea of Brexit, with more than half of them wanting an end to freedom of movement.

A similar proportion of people who voted to stay in the EU also support a ban on welfare payments for EU migrants.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/21/remain-voters-warming-idea-brexit-poll-shows/

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Interesting article in the Telegraph today which might upset the die hard remainers on here.

It came as a poll showed that Remain voters appear to be warming to the idea of Brexit, with more than half of them wanting an end to freedom of movement.

A similar proportion of people who voted to stay in the EU also support a ban on welfare payments for EU migrants.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/21/remain-voters-warming-idea-brexit-poll-shows/

"But nine in ten people want Britain to maintain free trade with the EU after Brexit, regardless of which way they voted in last year’s referendum." Which is what Boris Johnson and many of the principal players told us would happen should we vote Brexit. Difficult to see how that is going to happen.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flustered said:

Look for many more trade agreements between the UK and Asia and the opportunities these offer. If the EU play hard, there is nothing we buy from them that cannot be bought cheaper elsewhere.

such as Spanish olives from Thailand, Ferraris from China, Italian commercial coffee machines from Myanmar, French cheese from the Philippines, CNC machinery from Mongolia... :smile:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Naam said:

such as Spanish olives from Thailand, Ferraris from China, Italian commercial coffee machines from Myanmar, French cheese from the Philippines, CNC machinery from Mongolia... :smile:

Well we will have just learn how to do without exchanging our Ferrari's and coffee machines annually. For food there's an Aldi and Lidl just about everywhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Naam said:

Interesting to look back at the original claims made by the Brexit supporters on here about the forthcoming negotiation. The "they need us more than we need them" argument doesn't seem to be playing out ... looks like we're heading for the door with the WTO rules for future trade ... will be interesting to view the landscape as international businesses begin to move to Europe and inward investment falters ... but at least the NHS will be safe with that extra £350m per week. So, not all bad?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Interesting to look back at the original claims made by the Brexit supporters on here about the forthcoming negotiation. The "they need us more than we need them" argument doesn't seem to be playing out ... looks like we're heading for the door with the WTO rules for future trade ... will be interesting to view the landscape as international businesses begin to move to Europe and inward investment falters ... but at least the NHS will be safe with that extra £350m per week. So, not all bad?

The Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph are offering a reward to anyone who can find any red bus with that message painted all over it. It was a figment of your imagination, nobody ever talks about it on the Brexit side.

1 hour ago, pitrevie said:

"But nine in ten people want Britain to maintain free trade with the EU after Brexit, regardless of which way they voted in last year’s referendum." Which is what Boris Johnson and many of the principal players told us would happen should we vote Brexit. Difficult to see how that is going to happen.

I laughed out loud at the Whetherspoon's CEO on Question Time, an ardent Brexit supporter, when he said we needed to maintain immigration, something that he did not have a problem with? 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

The Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph are offering a reward to anyone who can find any red bus with that message painted all over it. It was a figment of your imagination, nobody ever talks about it on the Brexit side.

It was a play on words - weasel words - if you like. Nobody ever talked about it on the Brexit side ... once the vote was in. But had no problem standing beside that bus and related posters before the vote. 

The likelihood is that the NHS will get less money post-brexit, not more. No one mentioned that the EU would claim back £50bn from the UK based on contractual commitments either, funny that?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I laughed out loud at the Whetherspoon's CEO on Question Time, an ardent Brexit supporter, when he said we needed to maintain immigration, something that he did not have a problem with? 

If you recall only days after the Brexit vote Johnson, Hannan and other Brexiters were asked this very question and the reverse rowing started immediately. None of them promised they could reduce immigration or even wanted to. The reaction of the interviewer says it all when Hannan makes that statement.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/06/tory-brexiter-daniel-hannan-leave-campaign-never-promised-radical-decline

• Like 2