May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

15 minutes ago, Flustered said:

Thanks for the intro...

Although this is 2014, the figures for 2016 would probably be even worse as our trade gap is widening.

Germany has the biggest trade deficit with us—it sold £27 billion more in goods and services to us in 2014 than we sold to it, according to UK data.

Trade%20deficit%20and%20surplus%20graph_

So you didn't get the point did you?

I reckon people who really appreciate German engineering are not particularly price sensitive.

Shall I go on?

EU referendum and Brexit
UK-based airlines told to move to Europe after Brexit or lose major routes

Exclusive: Fears for UK jobs as EU officials say airlines will need to move base and majority of shareholders to fly routes within Europe 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/22/uk-based-airlines-told-to-move-to-europe-after-brexit-or-lose-major-routes?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Hootsuite

6 hours ago, Flustered said:

Thanks for the intro...

Although this is 2014, the figures for 2016 would probably be even worse as our trade gap is widening.

Germany has the biggest trade deficit with us—it sold £27 billion more in goods and services to us in 2014 than we sold to it, according to UK data.

Thanks for the intro...

Might that be because they have actually something to sell?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Or that the majority of those EU countries have far lower labour rates and can under cut anything we make

7 hours ago, Johnyo said:

Or that the majority of those EU countries have far lower labour rates and can under cut anything we make

your arguments are getting more and more naïve. embarrassing! :ermm:

13 hours ago, Grouse said:

So you didn't get the point did you?

I reckon people who really appreciate German engineering are not particularly price sensitive.

Shall I go on?

Following the changes historical figures will mean very little. Over 30% of Germany's exports to the UK are motor vehicles and parts, everything else is penny numbers. The motor industry has a huge stake in this fiasco and their reaction will make all the difference. All the UK motor industry is foreign owned and very cost sensitive. If they were all to take up the potential EU incentives to move export production to the EU then the figures would change dramatically, but whatever the outcome German engineering will always take precedence for many for a long time to come.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I think the issue for UK is more about genuine access. 

The term 'access' is a misnomer. A door gives you access but its physical size gives defined parameters, there is no parameters in the brexit concept of access.

Leaving the single market was big mistake but leaving the customs union is nothing short of a throat cutting exercise. Customs regulations will be nothing new, we have been there before, and it wasn't good.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The term 'access' is a misnomer. A door gives you access but its physical size gives defined parameters, there is no parameters in the brexit concept of access.

Leaving the single market was big mistake but leaving the customs union is nothing short of a throat cutting exercise. Customs regulations will be nothing new, we have been there before, and it wasn't good.

To think that almost all the main spokesmen for Brexit told us that leaving the EU did not mean leaving the single market and the PM also in favour of remaining in the EU and single market. Its why only days following the result I advocated Johnson for PM along the lines he made the mess he should clear it up. However as Heseltine said at the time once the going got rough Boris ducked out of it and ran away

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

Thats what I was getting at: red tape designed to delay, stifle, or block.  At best it will make for inefficiency. 

6 hours ago, Naam said:

your arguments are getting more and more naïve. embarrassing! :ermm:

So companies moving manufacturing plants to countries like Romania and Poland because labour is cheaper there has nothing to do with it.

Now who is naive?

Just one of hundreds of links about companies moving to cheaper labour areas in countries like Poland.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/04/09/germ-a09.html

21 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

The only good thing to come out of Brexit will be tighter border controls of Brits coming into EU countries. The last two attacks on U.K soil where carried out by British born terrorists.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I really don't think we need that wind up here.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Flustered said:

So companies moving manufacturing plants to countries like Romania and Poland because labour is cheaper there has nothing to do with it.

Now who is naive?

Just one of hundreds of links about companies moving to cheaper labour areas in countries like Poland.

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/04/09/germ-a09.html

Location of manufacturing plants is a complex issue

wage rates

skill levels

supply lines

quality

shipping costs

local taxes

duties

etc etc etc

So I think PSA will prefer Zaragoza over U.K. plants for example, unless there is massive incentivisation. Hungary used to be a good balance.  Szekesfeherva used to be where IBM manufactured blades back in the day.

Thailand used to be a sweet spot for hard drive manufacturing as opposed to China. Wage rates aren't everything.

Not sure Romania would be able to deal with high tech manufacturing yet...

Anyway, with increased robotics and A.I., you need engineers more than blue collars.

Edited by Grouse

44 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

The only good thing to come out of Brexit will be tighter border controls of Brits coming into EU countries. The last two attacks on U.K soil where carried out by British born terrorists.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Oh very droll! The pathos...

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

Without a doubt.

In 1979 I took 6 portable ovens down to a customer in the south of France. I allowed what I thought was adequate time at Dover to visit the customs department but grossly underestimated. I had to visit 3 different offices for signature and stamp and in the last had to ask to jump the queue, they were virtually raising the ramp as I drove on board. I didn't clear at Calais but went on to Brive and went to the local office with the customer. We were there all afternoon as they scrutinised the documents and calculated how much tax had to be paid. Interestingly enough at no point did any official ask to see the goods, only concerned about the paperwork and collecting the money. When it comes to collecting government revenue, time does not factor into the equation, axxe covering becomes the priority.

The single market opened the door to a whole new customer base for smaller companies in the UK, it will be a sad day when they start putting trip wires across the entrance.

Yes but you are not taking into account that now we are free from the dictatorial and undemocratic EU we will be able to trade on a global scale however without becoming globalists which I understand is a very bad thing. Now we are going to be able to trade with all those countries that we could not trade with while we were member's of said undemocratic and dictatorial EU. 

Below I have appended a list of such countries.

ummm well there is also ummm, oh well there must be lots of them.

Kenneth Clarke calls this policy disappearing down a rabbit hole and emerging into some wonderland.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pitrevie said:

Yes but you are not taking into account that now we are free from the dictatorial and undemocratic EU we will be able to trade on a global scale however without becoming globalists which I understand is a very bad thing. Now we are going to be able to trade with all those countries that we could not trade with while we were member's of said undemocratic and dictatorial EU. 

Below I have appended a list of such countries.

ummm well there is also ummm, oh well there must be lots of them.

Kenneth Clarke calls this policy disappearing down a rabbit hole and emerging into some wonderland.

Quite, tunnel vision can be a useful asset when all else fails.

Moving to WTO arrangements be very much like the Thai visa scenario, do the paperwork yourself or pay someone. Back in my exporting days we were a small company selling capital equipment worldwide. I used to do the paperwork myself to avoid the shipping agents fees, the fees for one crate to Asia were virtually the same as 20 crates, paperwork still the same.

This concept of global trade may have some benefit for the big boys but will do very little for the smaller company.

28 minutes ago, Johnyo said:

Sounds as if they're worried that they may end up in the same position of those of us who retired to Thailand - although I'm only going from the heading as I couldn't be bothered to watch a video of a lot of relatively fortunate, whinging 'expats'!

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Sounds as if they're worried that they may end up in the same position of those of us who retired to Thailand - although I'm only going from the heading as I couldn't be bothered to watch a video of a lot of whinging 'expats'!

And we have the audacity to moan about immigrants not integrating in the UK! 

How awful, it must drive the Spanish insane.

Fancy not even learning the language! And how about that numpty who voted for Brexit!

• Like 1

Two can play at that game Mr. Juncker.

Theresa May is prepared to block access for European vessels to British fishing waters if talks with the EU over Brexit break down.

The prime minister is due to announce that Britain will pull out of the 1964 London convention, the agreement that gives EU nations access to fishing waters between six and twelve nautical miles from British shores.

Fishermen from other EU states have more to lose by the end of the agreement. Non-British vessels land an average of 58 per cent of the fish caught in UK waters each year. British vessels catch only 21 per cent of their fish in EU waters beyond the UK exclusive economic zone.

Under the policy, the quota is distributed under rules fixed 35 years ago, based on historical catches. British fishermen believe they lost out under these original allocations. In the English Channel, the UK receives only 9 per cent of the stock while France receives 84 per cent.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/may-will-block-fishing-waters-if-talks-on-brexit-break-down-t9q2wdxhx

Edited by Laughing Gravy
  • Like 1