May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

12 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Managing immigration is not an unreasonable expectation, although I have to wonder how effectively that can be done at this late stage in the game, I suspect many expect a return to the glory days of the 1970's and that's just not going to happen. Limiting further increases is very doable but two key factors remain: the first is the extent to which people in the UK are BOTH willing and able to do the jobs now performed by foreign labour, and secondly; second, third and fourth generation immigrants are here to stay and I'm thinking specifically of the North of England where unfettered demand and access to jobs in the 1960's resulted in todays towns that are almost entirely non-Anglo Saxon, that situation will not change at all as a result of Brexit.

The UK has always been able to control it's borders non EU people have never had the right to stay in the UK, governments did not control or apply the law.if a EU citizen committed a serious crime they could always be deported.The recent drop in immigrants was EU citizens leaving because of the drop in the value of the pound and their own countries economys improving ( the benefit of EU membership). 

19 minutes ago, adammike said:

If Brexit was fuelled by an anti immigrant agenda why would British immigrants in Thailand or ex-pats anywhere vote for it? Typical Brexit untruths thinking it's all about money.

Immigration was not mentioned by me in this thread at all. Get help.

• Like 2

Anyone who lives in the UK, as I do (I understand you live in the Netherlands), is made aware of the fact every day that our country has become full to bursting point over the last five years. Getting across a medium-sized satellite town during the, now, three-to-four hour rush-hour periods takes at least twice as long as it did five years ago. Try getting a doctor's appointment: you'll be lucky to get one inside the next three weeks. House rental prices have gone through the roof (I know: I'm a small-scale landlord), etc, etc. Any drop in immigration at this stage is a huge positive. Once we have back control over who can come in, and can properly assess who is here, we can manage immigration to suit the country's needs. As opposed to greedy, socially irresponsible businesses using cheap, unlimited labour from Europe to drive down the wages of everyone up to and including the middle classes.
Thats one narrative.
Another narrative is your country has not invested in itself for decades , then Tory austerity policy made it much worse.

Also people are living much longer so all the pensioners here should just get it over with already stop sucking up all the resources.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Managing immigration is not an unreasonable expectation, although I have to wonder how effectively that can be done at this late stage in the game, I suspect many expect a return to the glory days of the 1970's and that's just not going to happen. Limiting further increases is very doable but two key factors remain: the first is the extent to which people in the UK are BOTH willing and able to do the jobs now performed by foreign labour, and secondly; second, third and fourth generation immigrants are here to stay and I'm thinking specifically of the North of England where unfettered demand and access to jobs in the 1960's resulted in todays towns that are almost entirely non-Anglo Saxon, that situation will not change at all as a result of Brexit.
...and it those immigrants weren't there the northern cities would have had even more depopulation and be more run down.

Its not like they are the Venice and Barcelona of the North!

3 minutes ago, taipeir said:

...and it those immigrants weren't there the northern cities would have had even more depopulation and be more run down.

Its not like they are the Venice and Barcelona of the North!

I see you've never been further North than Luton!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sandyf said:

The elephant just keeps on growing. But on the bright side the government would stand to save £1bn.

The Democratic Unionist Party has threatened to rethink its deal to prop up Theresa May in power if she compromises over the Irish border after Brexit.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/dup-theresa-may-tory-deal-ireland-border-brexit-irish-border-northern-ireland-a8085046.html

Shouldn't have got in to bed the DUP inbreds in the first place.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

My dog in this fight is because although I live full time in Thailand, I am a UK taxpayer and have been since 1959, and I am also a registered voter in the UK.

Yes I voted Brexit and according to Grouse I am ill qualified to pass comment, under educated, stupid and all of the other insults he has cast over time on the people who voted for Brexit.

This of course is only his opinion and it has as much value as mine.

I live in rural Thailand and I don't drink in the bars of BKK, Pattaya or anywhere else.

Delighted you've been paying attention, but well said!

I'm assuming that many expats are relatively well off, with some owning rented property in UK, and drawing private pensions.  I really see jeopardy here.  The poor really are skint, and the younger middle class have been relegated or are treading water.  When the government start shining the torch on who to plunder next, be they red or blue, it's a fair bet those with property, and substantial assets will be well and truly caught in the beam.  Somewhat ironic, in as much as these are precisely the people who are most likely to have voted for Brexit.

Edited by mommysboy

I see you've never been further North than Luton!

I haven't ?I'm just calling out the usual anti immigrant whining on here....Wah the colored immigrants came to our crappy run down deindustrialized cities with bad weather and make a go of it.

Wah.

The idiots forget those cities have always had waves of immigrants which gave them dynamism.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aright said:

You know you have hit the dumb nerve when someone says It is pointless to argue with someone BLAH BLAH BLAH.

All non sequiturs and your ability to understand  and construct an argument is non existent......Goodbye

Don't let any facts hit you on the way out. Don't think they will. You're really good at avoiding them.

On 28/11/2017 at 8:24 PM, vogie said:

How about Tony Benn, was he "another second-rate politician?" He also gives a majestic speach on the common market, and oh right he was. Sorry about the quality, but it was a while ago.

According to some members on this forum,he would be described as a Right wing little Englander,for having those views.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

I believe the problem is the opposite of what you cite, many remainers are expats here in Thailand whilst lots of forum Brexiteers are UK resident, wishing they weren't, why else would they spend all their waking hours on TVF!

That’s strange, I’ve lived here in Thailand for 20yrs, and so far I’ve only come across one remainder.( not including Thaivisa) But there again I don’t live on a bar stool.

By the way,that one remainer, is only against Brexit, because he thinks it May reduce his chances of getting a job for HIMself in the E.u.

15 minutes ago, nontabury said:

That’s strange, I’ve lived here in Thailand for 20yrs, and so far I’ve only come across one remainder.( not including Thaivisa) But there again I don’t live on a bar stool.

By the way,that one remainer, is only against Brexit, because he thinks it May reduce his chances of getting a job for HIMself in the E.u.

Was the remainder recurring?

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

According to some members on this forum,he would be described as a Right wing little Englander,for having those views.

He was the Jeremy Corbyn of is day he was against everything, did he ever vote with the labour party? Or like Jeremy always against.i am a lifelong labour voter and I still think he was a bit of a gob <deleted>. 

6 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Frederick Ducrozet, senior economist at Pictet Wealth Management: "We are running out of superlatives to describe the state of the euro economy." (FT Nov 2017)

How is the ECB's one trillion Euro toxic debt going on? Are they still kicking it down the road?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

My Thai wife told me about Brexit this:
neighboring countries want to stand together, but only the UK do not want to stand together with their neighbors.
How dumb is that?

We like our neighbour a lot, and we consider them to be good friends. We just don't want to marry them, or move into the same house as them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, taipeir said:

I haven't ?I'm just calling out the usual anti immigrant whining on here....Wah the colored immigrants came to our crappy run down deindustrialized cities with bad weather and make a go of it.

Wah.

The idiots forget those cities have always had waves of immigrants which gave them dynamism.

Ah, then I misunderstood what you wrote and I apologise. It's just that your statement about the North not being a Venice or Barcelona etc - the North has many places of stunning beauty and people with big hearts, the UK's industrial heritage began there and thrived for many years at a time when the South was the financial and social heart of the country. The North could have done much much better, all the ingredients were there, except successive governments continued to invest in the capital and neglect the industrial North hence much of it went into decline. The issue of decline was nothing really to do with immigration rather it's an issue of disinterested central government chasing financial services dollars.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Orac said:

You are as entitled to your opinion as anyone else Bill no matter how much I might disagree with your position on brexit.

I find it ridiculous that some of us are being described as “trolls” because we live in Thailand on a forum aimed at expats living in Thailand by some who appear to have reached peak ‘little englander’.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've certainly never considered you a troll, and I value your well-considered opinions as a brexit opponent :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SheungWan said:

How nice. Hopefully I can flip it. I shouldn't be too critical. Some Hong Kong money is going into Manchester new build units.

And rather a lot of Chinese money is going into a big development at the back of Wythenshawe on the side that skirts the airport (Airport City). No dressmaking workshops though, as far as I know.

16 hours ago, vogie said:
17 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Dreary Manchester. I would lose the will to live if stuck there.

TV members (brexeteer chapter) have just had a whip round to buy you a house in Wythenshawe.

There are sometimes great deals on his beloved Cathay Pacific from MAN, and I'm sure his ascerbic wit and dressmaking skills would go down a storm in the Newall Green.

5 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

There are sometimes great deals on his beloved Cathay Pacific from MAN, and I'm sure his ascerbic wit and dressmaking skills would go down a storm in the Newall Green.

I am sure many a Mancunian would lose the will to live if he lived there.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, taipeir said:

Wah.

During the war the UK welcomed the Polish armed forces with open arms and in 1947 gave many the right to stay, convenient to forget that the Poles contributed to the rebuilding of the UK.

The Polish Resettlement Act 1947 was the first ever mass immigration legislation of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. It offered British citizenship to over 200,000[citation needed] displaced Polish troops on British soil who had fought against Nazi Germany and opposed the Soviet takeover of their homeland. The act also supplied a labour force to the demands of war-torn Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polish_Resettlement_Act_1947

• Thanks 1