May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

16 hours ago, oldhippy said:

6/ A united Europe is in a stronger position to negotiate with US, China, Russia, India,... than the individual countries.

Strength in trade negotiations comes from integrity, not numbers of countries.

• Confused 1

18 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

The European single market with the enlargement of the European Union to 28 Member States is the largest common market in the world.

Believe me,

The regulation of access to this market is a very strong bargaining position. 

Edited by tomacht8
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

Right. And the meek shall inherit the earth.

The meek?

There is some discussion as to whether He said the Greek or the Cheesemakers.

I doubt it was the Greek.

And of course cheesemakers is not to be taken literally, it would include the entire dairy industry.

3 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The European single market with the enlargement of the European Union to 28 Member States the largest common market in the world.

Believe me,

4 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

The European single market with the enlargement of the European Union to 28 Member States the largest common market in the world.

Believe me,

But they lack integrity. What they need is an honest person to represent them - someone like David Davis.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, talahtnut said:

No. Think bigger problems.

You mean war between Israel and Palestine? Thailand and Kampuchea? Cardassia and Klingon?

None of those are members of the EU, but yes, I am sure that if they were, and if they were in particular in the single trading market, they would have much better peace prospects.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

You excell in posting well thought over, subtle, broad minded, balanced, debate stimulating pics.

I apologies if it goes over your head, that’s what happens when your brainwashed. Possible by this organisation, but then perhaps not, as I believe you are not British, yet are very upset that we are about to depart your so called Union.

9DB03401-64A5-4BC2-8386-9034315C7507.jpeg

Edited by nontabury
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, nontabury said:

I apologies if it goes over your head, that’s what happens when your brainwashed. Possible by this organisation, but then perhaps not, as I believe you are not British, yet are very upset that we are about to depart your so called Union.

9DB03401-64A5-4BC2-8386-9034315C7507.jpeg

Reading skills old chap, reading skills.

I stated - only a couple of posts ago - that I am happy to be rid of the profiteering (opt outs & exceptions) UK. I am not upset at all, the UK is free to make all the mistakes that half the population seems to want to make.

From now on, the EU will be able to drive without the breaks on.

1 hour ago, simoh1490 said:

It's been his style for years, he must have a cabinet full of them because we never see the same one twice.

O.K. Not to disappoint you, here again the opinion of a salt of the earth British citizen. He may not talk with pebbles in his mouth, but he does talk common sense. And believe you me, from someone who used to live in the Barnsley district, 

they will stand up for their rights.

• Like 1

As I have stated before, any of our European brethren who think that the EU is better off without the UK would walk away happy. They would not spend their time getting involved in a counterproductive discussion trying to convince us that we've made a bad decision.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, nontabury said:

O.K. Not to disappoint you, here again the opinion of a salt of the earth British citizen. He may not talk with pebbles in his mouth, but he does talk common sense. And believe you me, from someone who used to live in the Barnsley district, 

Odd how the forum Brexiteers keep bringing back the finger-wagging ignoramus who does not understand that the referendum did not specify hard or soft or any stations in-between Brexit. Probably because they do not wish to understand either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

As I have stated before, any of our European brethren who think that the EU is better off without the UK would walk away happy. They would not spend their time getting involved in a counterproductive discussion trying to convince us that we've made a bad decision.

No need to convince the car crash Brexiteers. EU making better progress with the UK government, both making some effort to live in the real world.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

No need to convince the car crash Brexiteers. EU making better progress with the UK government, both making some effort to live in the real world.

I see England aren't doing to well at the cricket.

(Which has about as much to do with my point about doublespeak by our European brethren as your response to it :laugh:)

12 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

Odd how the forum Brexiteers keep bringing back the finger-wagging ignoramus who does not understand that the referendum did not specify hard or soft or any stations in-between Brexit. Probably because they do not wish to understand either.

You call him an ignoramus because he does not agree with you.

Typical arrogance from a selfish ignorant remoaner..

• Like 1

On 12/17/2017 at 3:23 PM, Steve Mepham said:

I would have thought a few were undecided, then being told an emergency budget would be held the day after the vote must have made a few minds up, also being told half a million people would lose their jobs etc. 

"I would have thought..."  - Sounds like a brexiteer turn of phrase.

50 minutes ago, Khun Han said:

You underestimate your capacity to provide amusement.

But I am still hoping to have an intelligent discussion with a brexiteer, who will not say "I am right because I am right, just wait and see". Someone who will use arguments other than "my country knows everything better and will be great again when on it's own".

A serious discussion about the essence of democracy, about referenda, about economic and social progress. With somebody who does not hide behind a flag or uses childish tactics when he runs out of arguments.

I am interested because I used to teach macro economics, because I studied history, philosophy and sociology, because I find human behaviour fascinating, because I enjoy discussing various topics, because listening to different opinions keeps me alert. Because I do not pretend to know everything, and I am open to reasonable arguments.

But if that is asking too much, I will be happy to work in my tropical garden, and when I need a short break I will jump in my swimming pool and next check the entertaining nonsense people post. It's a good change from watching Monty Python.

I hope that answers your question.

3 hours ago, talahtnut said:

Tell that to the Australians.

Plans by the UK and European Union to share quotas for cheap food imports after Brexit have come under fire from Australia.

Restrictions on how many products can be imported into the EU on favourable rates are set across the bloc and concerns have been raised internationally that exporters could take a financial hit when the UK quits.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/25/australia-raises-doubts-over-post-brexit-plans-for-eu-food-import-quotas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nontabury said:

It's, in t'Barnsely district, if you don't mind......pronunciation is everything, to a pebble.

The idea of a "free" trade agreement is a myth, it will prove to very expensive. Leaving the customs union will be seen as a godsend by the EU customs authorities. The UK is already in a hole and for some reason seems to think the solution lies in digging deeper.

The British government faces a €2bn (£1.7bn) fine for negligence that allowed criminal gangs to flood European black markets with illegal Chinese goods, EU anti-fraud investigators have said.

The European anti-fraud office (known as Olaf from its French name, Office de Lutte Anti-Fraude) has recommended the UK pay €1.98bn into the EU budget to compensate for lost customs duties, as a result of a failure by British customs officials to crack down on criminal gangs using fake invoices and making false claims about the value of clothes and shoes imported from China.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/08/uk-faces-2bn-fine-over-chinese-imports-scam-say-eu-anti-fraud-investigators

1 hour ago, nontabury said:

You call him an ignoramus because he does not agree with you.

Typical arrogance from a selfish ignorant remoaner..

He is an ignoramus because if one listens to the whole finger-pointing rant, when he gets to the end he mentions the referendum and jumps straight into the conclusion that it should mean no agreement pull -out now, which of course is not explicit in the wording on the referendum. Upset as are the other uber Hard Brexiteers that Theresa May isn't following their script. So in the uber Hard Brexiteer world there are only 2 groups: Car Crash Brexiteers Vs Remainers. No place for any shades of grey and certainly no place for the type of agreement secured by Theresa May's government. Desperately holding on to that script provides at least some of us with a certain level of amusement, particularly when it is also mixed in with some loopy Conspiracy Theory nonsense.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 2