May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

Do you know what noblesse oblige means?

These are people of privilege, but I genuinely believe that a majority truly want whatever is best for the country. They are in the autumn of their lives typically and want to do "what's best"

I think that they (like I) sense that the "executive" see how to better themselves at the expense of everyone else.

I do not see any down side in insistence on parliament having the final say. And without this, the rogues will implement policies to ensure their own enrichment at the expense of the masses

They were right to give the education proposals both barrels also. TM wants to give some of the finest universities in the world, bronze, silver, and gold stars! How excruciatingly embarrassing! What badge will they give the top milk monitor??

And finally, I reverse my previous support for T Levels. There are 15 streams including hairdressing! Jesus, can we not get anything right? I could suggest 15 streams of engineering!!!

I'll refrain from any unnecessary HoL v HoC debate, viewpoint or other for good reason.

As for rogues, the electorate also have to take a significant amount of accountability for they're actions in response to this issue.

Although, overall the standard of UK politics has been fairly substandard & poor since that biggest rogue Mr Blair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, citybiker said:

I'll refrain from any unnecessary HoL v HoC debate, viewpoint or other for good reason.

As for rogues, the electorate also have to take a significant amount of accountability for they're actions in response to this issue.

Although, overall the standard of UK politics has been fairly substandard & poor since that biggest rogue Mr Blair.

It is good to know that we have on this forum thread eminent moderators of British political standards to provide a torch showing us the way forwards.

5 hours ago, SheungWan said:

It is good to know that we have on this forum thread eminent moderators of British political standards to provide a torch showing us the way forwards.

Not to mention the odd HSE below-bridge inspector  :)

Edited by evadgib

On 3/8/2017 at 6:04 PM, Khun Han said:

And subject to further scrutiny by the unelected Upper House. The government is not behaving like an elected dictatorship when it's trying to carry out the direct will of the people, as stated in a referendum, in the most efficient, obstacle-free manner: that's nothing more or less that democracy working at it's best. The supreme court made it's call with a majority decision, which is hardly a convincing ruling. Brexiters can live with it. It allows remainers with varying degrees of dishonest agenda to try to put spanners in the works, and it will slow things down a bit. But they won't succeed. No ploy on my part, clearly one on your's and the rest of the remain camp.

There was nothing in the referendum about the process of Brexit and therefore the claim that the government is carrying out the direct will of the people by being opposed to parliamentary scrutiny is a bogus one.

On 3/5/2017 at 1:06 AM, Flustered said:

If you look at what unit was at Scheuen, you will understand why I cannot comment any further on my time in Germany. Although based at Scheun, my work was at Wesendorf.

Yes I am a Europhile. I would love the UK to stay in the EEC as was but I do not believe that political union is wise or helpful.

People like Junkers will destroy the EU with his dreams of unification. Of course he wants unification, he is from a tiny country and now he finds himself in an important position. He hates anyone who opposes his views which is why we have to come out.

Decisions must be made by a democratically elected Parliament, not by bureaucrats.

...except for the fact that the last few months have been marked by the forum Brexiteers not only decidedly arguing against Parliamentary democracy when it threatens their positions, but worse, continuing to do so. One can confidently assert that the forum Brexiteers are hypocrites right down to their breeches on the 'let's defend democracy' front.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

There was nothing in the referendum about the process of Brexit and therefore the claim that the government is carrying out the direct will of the people by being opposed to parliamentary scrutiny is a bogus one.

You are quite right but what was stated by many of the principle spokesmen for Brexit and especially by Boris Johnson was that Brexit did not mean exit from the single market and that we intended to remain in the single market. I gather that position has now been abandoned.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Orac said:

I have a very low opinion of elected politicians, mainly because to get to where they are they have had to step on and put down a lot of other challengers on the way - you don't get to the top and stay there by being the 'nice guy'.

The House of Lords, on the other hand, has many people in it who basically don't give a toss and can speak plainly without the political pressure of currying favour. Fair enough, in many cases, they have clambered up the political ranks but the pressure is no longer there to please a party or person to advance yourself which is why they are an important part of the state.

However have got to the HoL they were neither elected, representative of, or to the electorate  nor removable or sackable. They are guaranteed a well paid job for life if they bother to turn up at all. There is no requirement for them ever to bother to go there.

Of course they can say and think what they like (parliamentary privilege)  but they actually represent nobody at all other than themselves.

• Like 2

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/21bn-bid-for-akzo-nobel-puts-uk-jobs-under-threat-whzbf0f0r

The great sell off at knock down prices continues thanks to the collapse of Sterling

Anybody see whats happening here?

Who's likely to benefit and who's likely to lose?

Maybe if the pound drops further we can start exporting steel to China and coal to Brazil?

23 hours ago, Grouse said:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/21bn-bid-for-akzo-nobel-puts-uk-jobs-under-threat-whzbf0f0r

The great sell off at knock down prices continues thanks to the collapse of Sterling

Anybody see whats happening here?

Who's likely to benefit and who's likely to lose?

Maybe if the pound drops further we can start exporting steel to China and coal to Brazil?

The brexiteers won a battle but they think they have won the war.

The history books will show over 60 million casualties in the brexit war.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, Grouse said:

he great sell off at knock down prices continues thanks to the collapse of Sterling

Why has the Pound dropped? This is not just an off the cuff statement but rather a real question. You tell me why it dropped (no BS) and I'll tell you how I was able to retire at 39.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nontabury said:

Will the bullets be coming from the front or the back.

image.jpeg

The brexit argument in a nutshell, we did not vote for this,that or the next thing. Just give us what we want, whatever that is.

8 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So long as it's not like that undemocratic EU and of course the British electorate will not get any final say on whatever is the final deal. So all the brouhaha about not having a say on the Lisbon or Maastricht treaties exposed as nothing more than hyprocrisy. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, notmyself said:

Why has the Pound dropped? This is not just an off the cuff statement but rather a real question. You tell me why it dropped (no BS) and I'll tell you how I was able to retire at 39.

Over what period are we discussing? Since last June? Since WWII?

22 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Let's be honest here, nobody (other than yourself of course), has an accurate crystal ball.

So you think that a crystal ball is required -

To see the millions of expats suffering already,

To see the millions of EU citizens in the UK suffering already

To see the Irish and Scots are perfectly happy with what is going on.

If you cannot see the damage already it is time to wake up, open your eyes and face reality.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sandyf said:

The brexiteers won a battle but they think they have won the war.

The history books will show over 60 million casualties in the brexit war.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Let's be honest here, nobody (other than yourself of course), has an accurate crystal ball.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

So you think that a crystal ball is required -

To see the millions of expats suffering already,

To see the millions of EU citizens in the UK suffering already

To see the Irish and Scots are perfectly happy with what is going on.

If you cannot see the damage already it is time to wake up, open your eyes and face reality.

I'm so sorry, is that what you meant in the first quoted post?

60 million casualties already?? - Or is that number a result of your crystal ball at work?

Edit - and this is a kind response to the "millions" quoted in your latest post :lol:.

Edited by dick dasterdly
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, notmyself said:

June.

OK, so clearly fear of the risks on many fronts due to the Brexit referendum

The bond markets are interested in net yield and rising inflation will hit that

Then we have the negative outlook for foreign inward investment because of the potential for trade barriers both financial and technical

Then there is the potential risk to the UK of fracture

We also have a rather large current account deficit and this will worry markets

On the other hand, Trump will want to drive the USD down

Of course many welcome a weak pound because of the effect on FTSE

Enough?

Incidentally, I don't care if you're retired or not ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grouse said:

OK, so clearly fear of the risks on many fronts due to the Brexit referendum

The bond markets are interested in net yield and rising inflation will hit that

Then we have the negative outlook for foreign inward investment because of the potential for trade barriers both financial and technical

Then there is the potential risk to the UK of fracture

We also have a rather large current account deficit and this will worry markets

On the other hand, Trump will want to drive the USD down

Of course many welcome a weak pound because of the effect on FTSE

Enough?

Incidentally, I don't care if you're retired or not ?

Can't argue though this would account for maybe an 8% drop at best. Let's call it 10% to keep in simple and ask about the cause for the further 10% drop. Markets of all flavours don't like extreme uncertainty because there are no models to make predictions. Dave was fully expected to call article 50 immediately but refused to do so for reasons he has never explained. His abject indifference to the welfare of the country tanked the GBP rather than what was expected to be a sharp drop of 8-9%. All this bickering over the last 9 months has damaged the economy and the bounce back after the evocation of article 50 which would have likely been 12-13% will be 6-7% at best. May running the show doesn't help either though this is more to do with ineptitude rather than her being in the remain camp. Corbyn was in the remain camp and would rather have him at the helm any day.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

I'm so sorry, is that what you meant in the first quoted post?

60 million casualties already?? - Or is that number a result of your crystal ball at work?

Edit - and this is a kind response to the "millions" quoted in your latest post :lol:.

When up against it, start misquoting, standard practice. Just disconnect history books from 60 million.

Over 5 million expats worldwide have had their income reduced and over 3 million  EU citizens in the UK have been hung out to dry, we will just ignore the abuse. Of course none of it is of any concern to brexiteers so we are aware of why you want to dispute any damage so far.

We are all perfectly aware there are no 'millions' living in Scotland and NI and that their position does not count for anything.

When they do come to write the history books, 60 million will be a conservative figure, easier just to ignore places like Gibraltar and the Falklands.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2017 at 10:52 PM, notmyself said:

Can't argue though this would account for maybe an 8% drop at best. Let's call it 10% to keep in simple and ask about the cause for the further 10% drop. Markets of all flavours don't like extreme uncertainty because there are no models to make predictions. Dave was fully expected to call article 50 immediately but refused to do so for reasons he has never explained. His abject indifference to the welfare of the country tanked the GBP rather than what was expected to be a sharp drop of 8-9%. All this bickering over the last 9 months has damaged the economy and the bounce back after the evocation of article 50 which would have likely been 12-13% will be 6-7% at best. May running the show doesn't help either though this is more to do with ineptitude rather than her being in the remain camp. Corbyn was in the remain camp and would rather have him at the helm any day.

OMG! Somebody who would rather have Corbyn running the show! :partytime2:

• Like 1

Oh Look! Its going up again!

58c7e8f893d30_sterlingbrexitrockyride.jpg.cb1914aba9437230f2dfefa360b32d32.jpg

Many commentators & critics have stated the £/$ is at a more realistic trading level, I'm no professional economist so unable to say otherwise.

However, since the June 23rd vote the Government has repeatedly stated the UK is open for business and I believe major companies like Google, Pharmaceutical's and other SME's are increasingly looking at the UK to set up or invest in, obviously the economic benefits and strategic location being just one factor.

1 minute ago, citybiker said:

Many commentators & critics have stated the £/$ is at a more realistic trading level, I'm no professional economist so unable to say otherwise.

However, since the June 23rd vote the Government has repeatedly stated the UK is open for business and I believe major companies like Google, Pharmaceutical's and other SME's are increasingly looking at the UK to set up or invest in, obviously the economic benefits and strategic location being just one factor.

Hello Realism!

bloomberg sterling march 14.jpg

• Like 2