May ready for tough talks over Brexit

rooster59

Easy to say one thing,

Human rights must form a key component of any future trade deals after Britain’s exit from the European Union, a Commons committee has concluded.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deals-human-rights-theresa-may-saudi-arabia-trip-a7666601.html

When you mean another.

Liam Fox has been criticised for saying the UK has "shared values" with the Philippines as he met the country's president, Rodrigo Duterte, who has boasted of personally killing criminals.

Mr Duterte has also previously said he "doesn't give a s*** about human rights"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/liam-fox-philippines-rodrigo-duterte-brexit-article-50-trade-a7667031.html

An old saying comes to mind "there's nowt so queer as folk"

Many people resent being told what to do even when its in their best interests, looks like HMRC is no exception.

OLAF accuses HMRC of failing to use a risk analysis system used by other European customs departments to detect fraud, despite it having raised the issue at four separate bilateral meetings with senior UK tax officials in recent years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39502316

Does not instill a great deal of confidence in customs arrangements post brexit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SheungWan said:

Farage behaving like a complete boor in the European Parliament.

I was surprised that he was allowed to participate. Article 50 prohibits the EU council member from participating in discussions relating to the withdrawal but does not mention the Parliament or Commission.

11 hours ago, happy Joe said:

Farage discovers that the Kingdom can not avoid paying of its debts to EU. 60 Billion before the first discussion. It was he who announced savings...

And if the English can do without EU, we now know that Europeans are also better off without them. The states of the Union have never been more supportive to advance in its original objective : an area of peace, culture and prosperity supported by the world's leading industrial and agricultural market.

Let's also point out that the beginning flirt between May and Trump with a common wish for the failure of Eu dissuaded all those who wanted a privileged agreement.

:partytime2:

Everything I read in the French press ( my country ) shows that Britain will suffer very much in the discussions , but after all , it's Britain which wanted to leave, not EU which fired it 

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Easy to say one thing,

Human rights must form a key component of any future trade deals after Britain’s exit from the European Union, a Commons committee has concluded.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-trade-deals-human-rights-theresa-may-saudi-arabia-trip-a7666601.html

When you mean another.

Liam Fox has been criticised for saying the UK has "shared values" with the Philippines as he met the country's president, Rodrigo Duterte, who has boasted of personally killing criminals.

Mr Duterte has also previously said he "doesn't give a s*** about human rights"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/liam-fox-philippines-rodrigo-duterte-brexit-article-50-trade-a7667031.html

Agree entirely with your first sentence - assuming you're also laughing at the committee's new found enthusiasm for 'human rights'!

Since when has either the government or big business paid anything other than lip service to 'human rights'?  Unless, of course, it suits their interests/agenda.....

To be fair, newspapers have to report government and their committees' announcements - even when they know its pure tripe.

Edited by dick dasterdly

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

An old saying comes to mind "there's nowt so queer as folk"

Many people resent being told what to do even when its in their best interests, looks like HMRC is no exception.

OLAF accuses HMRC of failing to use a risk analysis system used by other European customs departments to detect fraud, despite it having raised the issue at four separate bilateral meetings with senior UK tax officials in recent years.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39502316

Does not instill a great deal of confidence in customs arrangements post brexit.

"Does not instill a great deal of confidence in customs arrangements post brexit."

It doesn't instill any confidence full stop - bearing in mind the issue was pointed out a long time before the brexit vote.

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

Is this what you are referring to? Yes,it's disgraceful that he should be speaking up on behalf of the British people, much better if he were to stab his own country in the back, like some do. Nudge,nudge, know what I mean.

Yeah what a pity that he only attended 1 out of a possible 42 meeting of the fisheries committee to which he was appointed, not much speaking up on behalf of the British fishing industry when he had the chance.

Nigel Farage once led a flotilla of “fishermen for leave” from Southend to the Houses of Parliament.

This is particularly interesting because, Nigel spent more time showboating on the Thames than he has ever spent actually standing up for the British fishing industry at the European Parliament Fisheries Committee which it was part of his job to be on. However I daresay he claimed the expenses for not going there.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, teddog said:

No need for tough talk,no talk at all,just leave.  The EU will soon squabble over funding,that £8.5 billion hole will indeed lead to one holy row within

The UK's gross contribution of £8.5Bn represents about 0.42% of EU GDP. The UK's net contribution (i.e. after deducting monies returned to the UK as subsidies and grants) represents less than 0.2% of EU GDP. I don't see these amounts leading to a 'holy row'. I am sure it will be covered somehow.

What is less clear is how the UK will come up with the £50-60Bn it owes the EU. I can't see much prospect of a deal until that little matter is sorted out. Tax rises maybe?

Edited by HauptmannUK
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Mr Barnier is more interested in the format of financial liabilities apart from other vital factors, while the others, Guy, Antonio Junker and Merkel squabble between themselves to ensure other countries don't decide to follow suit, EU project fear..... ensure the leaving member is worse off thus others won't choose decide on the same route.

What a sad and sordid enterprise the EU is. I expect the rest of the world is looking on in astonishment at the way how it behaves.

• Like 2

£60Bn...

Scaremongering, but we will have commitments, many of the EU projects last for years and if funding was agreed and budgeted for while we were a member then only rightly we should continue to contribute our share, but some of these projects are in the UK so much of that money would be flowing back to the UK. there are many institutes funded by the EU that it makes sense to to remain in if the EU allows and we will have to contribute towards their financing.

There are other schemes that that pays money to farmers, land owners, and many other industries that will cease to receive money from the EU and the UK government will have to plug the gap .

But when it gets down to the "nitty gritty" any exit fee will have to be justified and no way can they justify £60Bn...

What a sad and sordid enterprise the EU is. I expect the rest of the world is looking on in astonishment at the way how it behaves.

The EU's behaviour, primarily the top table muppets like Guy and Antonio are behaving like schoolyard children, Junker, Tusk and Merkel from what I've seen to date are much more subtle.

Agree'd, the rest of the world is monitoring this from the sidelines, and many countries wishing to trade or EU neighbours looking to join would pause and think, although Turkey wants to be member tells you all you need to know.

Tusk was meeting TM today, primarily to discuss the negotiations format etc, inclusions and exclusions (Gibraltar non-negotIable) but primarily to tone the exchange of words, I'm hoping its constructive and productive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, nontabury said:

Perhaps you can persuade the Dictatorial Bureacrats in Brussels to explain how they came to concoct such  a figure of £50-60 Bn. And while your at it perhaps you can ask them, what % of any assets that the E.U might posses, belongs to the U.K. A country that is the 2nd to largest Net contributor into their bottomless pit.

image.jpeg

Wow using the royal WE and speaking for future generations, do you know Donald Trump by any chance.

David Davis (Brexit Scretary) said nations 'not democracies' if they can't change their mind

9 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

The UK's gross contribution of £8.5Bn represents about 0.42% of EU GDP. The UK's net contribution (i.e. after deducting monies returned to the UK as subsidies and grants) represents less than 0.2% of EU GDP. I don't see these amounts leading to a 'holy row'. I am sure it will be covered somehow.

What is less clear is how the UK will come up with the £50-60Bn it owes the EU. I can't see much prospect of a deal until that little matter is sorted out. Tax rises maybe?

You think the UK will pay this?   not a cat in hells chance.  UK just wants to say goodbye..no trade deals with EU

20 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Agree entirely with your first sentence - assuming you're also laughing at the committee's new found enthusiasm for 'human rights'!

Since when has either the government or big business paid anything other than lip service to 'human rights'?  Unless, of course, it suits their interests/agenda.....

To be fair, newspapers have to report government and their committees' announcements - even when they know its pure tripe.

Yes, all a bit disjointed when TM is planning to remove the UK from the European Convention on Human Rights but is the UK stooping a bit too low in attempting to trade with a self confessed assassin, looks a bit like desperation.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

"Does not instill a great deal of confidence in customs arrangements post brexit."

It doesn't instill any confidence full stop - bearing in mind the issue was pointed out a long time before the brexit vote.

The big difference is that post brexit it will be a lot more difficult for the illicit goods to be transferred to the EU because of customs regulations. Likelihood is a larger percentage will be disposed off within the UK.

There is already a great deal of concern of future customs arrangements, this issue can only aggravate the situation.

18 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

As reported in todays press the UK is due a 9Bn refund of money held by the European Central Bank plus a further 14Bn of foreign assets ALSO the EU have acknowledged the UK is under no legal redress to pay ANY exit fee :thumbsup:

• Like 2

You think the UK will pay this?   not a cat in hells chance.  UK just wants to say goodbye..no trade deals with EU

I'm not sure what the final amount of the divorce settlement will be but there will be a trade deal eventually and to the dismay of the Brexiteers the U.K will pay to have free access to the EU market. Both sides will spin it so that the hard line Brexit boys are satisfied and the EU will spin it so that other countries are not encouraged to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I'd say this is likely.

But there is an aggressive and influential hard right that would happily see UK crash out without a deal, as the idea of the country becoming a mega Hong Kong appeals to them.  They have clout, are master agitators, and strategists- the very fact that Brexit was swayed tells us that.

Would that be so very bad?  Preferably I would like to stay in EU, but failing that it may be the best remaining option. 

I still have doubts as to whether anything other than a soft Brexit (with a single market trade deal) will get through Parliament.  After all that is what the people appear to want.

I do agree there is an element of the hard right that would be satisfied (happy inappropriate term IMO) with walking away with no deal however TM will work strongly towards obtaining a pragmatic deal, possibly not satisfying all but a positive strategic deal for the whole UK is what she's focusing on.

lastly, let's not forget a hard right deal may well be difficult to pass through Parliament, especially as the SNP are likely to block anything that's counter-productive to the rest of the Union. She's made it very clear it's the best deal for the whole UK and both sides need to realise and not be naive to understand they can't have both.